Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-30-18, 03:12 PM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Pretty sure really good future NFL players were developed before this type of academy came along. I know I know they won't pay a dime? Nothing is free, that type of move is not for everyone and certainly not necessary in order to be ready for college football .

Do you have numbers on how many IMG kids start right away in college? Williamson isn't . Nothing against a place like that , it is a good move for some. I am a more traditional become a part of a community, stay with your brothers for a few years pushing each other and achieving , being a good teammate with kids you go to school with and know and becoming well rounded smart tough resilient kids . That doesn't mean that it has to be a public school of course. But my point is these national sports academies serve a purpose and are about the individual .

I think most kids are just fine going to school in their community's or going to a local private or catholic school and becoming part of that community. My opinions aren't based on a couple of Coffman kids possibly leaving , I have had them for a while on this matter. Same for going to boarding schools and other specialization dynamics .
Old 05-03-18, 09:40 AM
All World

July 30th coming hard and fast . This is the time for training like you have to get in the ring in three months .

When you look at the material Coffman ahs to work with this season, you notice that looking back at previous good teams on Coffman road the talent level is comparable to other clubs that achieved and won league titles and won a play-off game or two .

The off -season is very important in terms of getting as many of your players confident in their preparation , confident in their physical improvements , and being able to be as prepared mentally to hit the ground running from day one.

A problem area last season was playing the ball in the air in the defensive backfield. I mean you can lead a horse to water and get kids tin the right spots all you want , be really solid in your scheme , but if you can't make plays with the ball I the air , it's all for naught.

The talent and experience level is going to be higher this year in that area no question. AJ Kirk will be perhaps the best Sophomore defensive back in CO certainly may be the state. The other corner is up for grabs a bit but Williamson and Cam Kirk look like contenders out there. The level of talent is impressive, but it has to be honed and developed. Ball skills have to be improved and that weakness as a group has to become a strength .

That's the crux of development , real progress is turning weaknesses into a strength . We will surely see this dynamic play out at some point early o when Coffman has a lead and the opponent has to come out and throw themselves out of a jam?

Will they move down the field when they have to , to win the ballgame in the last minutes ? Or will Coffman show that improvement and shut that crap down , bat down balls in the air consistently , NOT GIVE up the big play { Even Davidson completed three big passes } and take the ball and take a knee to end games .

Safety's return in Meadows and Drye. Will they return to those spots or will one change positions? LB is a rebuild with only Hybrid LB /Safety Ryan Hamilton returns . Bartman saw action when Hoak had to take some time off and did OK at times, how much improvement will we see ? Newcomer at DE/LB Soph Williams will be an asset . Junior Wolf looks to be a pretty strong candidate top replace stalwart and two year starter Bagozzi at nose. DE Gill is an interesting player who had his moments and again how much more production do they get from him?

Coaches often have access to tape of upcoming opponents and use it accordingly to game plan . Players can also simply go to Hudl and get a few minutes at least on players they may match up with this year . Back in the day most games were Saturday afternoon , some schools had lights most did not. Some brought in mobile lights a time or two during the season .

One of the things we did a couple times a year was go to an upcoming opponents game of they played Friday night and we played Saturday. I would always really watch to see who I was going to have to block in the backfield , DE'S and LB'S , who was going to cover me if I was in the slot. Basically anything I could learn about the opponents the better .

Could be a little tell , how they lined up what was their strength ? What did they struggle with ? This is something that players can do now right from their phones or home computer .

Football may be a focus on this week the next game type sport, BUT if coaches or players aren't taking advantage of this easy scouting opportunity, they aren't doing their job fully .

I mean some of the study is of you and that guy matching up last year? What worked , ? What didn't ? How can I do better this time around? Speaking of that , it seems that Gahanna has picked up their second Senior WR transfer from St. Charles in as many years.

Last year we saw Bruckner have a big impact for the Lions including the tough close loss Coffman endured as he scored the wining TD with about a minute left . Senior to be Jayden Hill is this years St. Chuck's refugee . Get that academic rigor taken care of for three years, then boom go to the superior football school for Senior year with a talented experienced QB getting you the rock ? Sounds good.

Coffman DB'S can simply get a read on this kid's hudl page. He isn't Bruckner, not that kind of explosiveness , but a kid who will help a depleted by Graduation receiving corp. certainly
Old 05-04-18, 12:45 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 614BUCKNUT View Post
Also, do u think that Coach Crabtree knows or has even heard anything about this? If not he's going to get blindsided if it's true!
Do the Coffman University Apartments have a 30 notice requirement for termination?

Mr. Robinson may already have some new *wink* tenants lined up.
Old 05-04-18, 12:51 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Small correction: Bruckner went to Academy, not SC.
Old 05-04-18, 02:12 PM
All World

Yes that's right , Bruckner was at Academy , he is going somewhere in the MAC now I believe?

Last edited by Harrycrane; 05-04-18 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-04-18, 09:46 PM
Freshman

614BUCKNUT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
Do the Coffman University Apartments have a 30 notice requirement for termination?

Mr. Robinson may already have some new *wink* tenants lined up.
Can you be more specific? Lol
Old 05-04-18, 09:48 PM
Freshman

614BUCKNUT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Yes that's right , Bruckner was at Academy , he is going somewhere in the MAC now I believe?
If he's going to the MAC someone is getting a steal!
Old 05-04-18, 09:55 PM
All World

Lambeau is a really solid poster , but he really doesn't like Coffman . It's OK I like his contributions and he is smart and insightful . Yes , but I am going to post soon on kids who should choose a school where they will fit and most importantly PLAY at some point
Old 05-04-18, 10:06 PM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
Gahanna (formly Columbus Academy) wr Jerome Buckner signed with Ohio U.
Old 05-04-18, 10:33 PM
All World

Thank you. I think he will contribute early down there. Good choice. Truth be told and this is the first time I have mentioned this on line but Coffman QB James Walsh should have kept his commitment to OU OH YEAH instead of going to BC .

Now full disclosure I am BC guy, love BC for personal reasons , but I thought football wise he was an OU guy . BC is a great school , incredible connections can be made there, and obviously Boston is a preferable city to network in after graduation than Athens Ohio , but from a pure " Football" standpoint ?? OU all the way . He could have had a better chance to pitch there on the baseball team as well ?

A few Coffman guys are on the two deep depth chart right now at Ohio State, Penn State , Kentucky and Wisconsin at the D-1 Level , some will eventually start some may not . Kudos for the trying to crack the starting line-up at a high level , but I have some thoughts on choices kids make .
Old 05-09-18, 07:16 AM
All World

Kids often make their colleges choices based on what they think is their 'BEST" offer . The definition of 'Best" is often 'Biggest" offer or which program has the biggest reputation.

Of course this isn't to say that in the big picture even if the kid never sees the field in a very meaningful moment that the choice was automatically wrong. The school may be a great academic fit, a great cultural fit . But in terms of playing much if at all as a starter ? May be a bad fit.

Of course we all see many stud recruits never get close to the top of the depth chart at Ohio State and there is certainly no shame in that . But you look around and see some kids sitting and wonder what if they made a different choice and were starting and playing at a lesser program would their experience may be better ?

Speaking of . QB Gunnar Hoak is 1-A 1-B at Kentucky and of course it is a competition between Gunnar a more accurate a bit more savvy and experienced and a better pocket passer vs. the new kid transferring in who is FAST and elusive . He has a big arm that isn't polished yet and not as accurate as Gunnar.

So they haven't named a starter yet down there. My guess is this is the SEC they always play the fast athlete at QB more than not . Gunnar will play some at times because I think the other kid while an audacious athlete isn't there yet in terms of completing passes consistently . But while Gunnar is a good athlete and can move a bit and has improved in that area, the other guy is a jet. Hoak should see the field at some point and it's then that he has to shine and stay on the field.

Griffin Grady and Alex Gellerstadt are at Wisconsin and Penn State respectively and also part of the 2016 grad class . Both seem to be on the two deep chart right now but at their positions, Grady at LB and Alex at Left tackle there is depth and are positions of strength on those teams .

I do think at some point may be later than sooner they get on the field and get some starts but it may take some time.

2015 Grad Marcinek enters his Senior year at Yale looking to finish his career with more production and targets.

The story that all Coffman players can look at and use as fuel that if you are focused determined and work your azz off you can compete at levels no one including yourself perhaps to a degree you never thought possible.

Saunders was a excellent 3 sport guy and only played football at Coffman his last two years . Baseball seemed to be his best and I think he wanted to walk on at Ohio State in that sport. Hoops he was certainly a D-2 prospect and a great competitor in that sport . But just when you think he wasn't going to play competitive athletics at Ohio State he shows up to football practice.

And when I say that , it was as a 'PRACTICE" player, yes we are talking about 'pRAAAACTICE" not actualy getting into games or even scrimmages may be , 'Praaaaactice ".

Saunders got a little bigger , a little stronger and Coach Meyer frequently saw this 'Practice " player making plays . Saunders is now on scholly , and on the two deep. Knowing the type of explosive athletes OSU routinely is able to land at the Wide out and slot positions , CJ may never be a starter per se , but eh ahs already appeared in games including a few plays here and there when the game was in doubt and is likely to do the same this year .

Incredible story of a great kid who just worked really hard and believed in his ability and is now a few injuries from getting serious minutes at one of the top 3-4 programs in the country .

It should be pointed out to Coffman players that if CJ can get on the travel squad, get a scholly as a walk on practice player and get on the two deep , they can certainly be a very god HS player if they apply themselves at least and in some cases get that college attention they may not have thought possible.

Congrats to Mike 'Donut " Drennan on his offer from ACC Academic power Boston College , his 7th offer which could more than double after the camp circuit this spring/ Summer . Donut would be a tremendous get for the Eagles of course and it is probably unlikely he will end up there, but that is not a bad offer from a great school to have in your back pocket certainly. And the thing is he would likely play EARLY there.
Old 05-14-18, 05:10 PM
All World

10 weeks and change unto the start of camp. Are O-lineman working on their footwork ? Improving their endurance and athleticism ? Lifting and moving their feet running and working on coming off the ball?

Are the receivers running their routes and perfecting their yardages and sharpness and catching a lot of balls? Getting stronger to battle better for the ball in the air? Are they working with the QB'S ?

Ditto defensive backs who are being counted on to become much improved especially with balls in the air?

Not only working hard in the room but working on little things and fundamentals in the difference between good preparation and outstanding preparation.

Looking at readily available film of your opponents ? Some of which you went up against last year? What can I do better this time around? Can I turn a weakness into a strength ?

Coaches preach one week at a time and one step at a time , BUT great coaches are always looking at all upcoming opponents and tape and envision match-ups and doing things better , making the right adjustments ? What are or can we do differently ? What do I think this team will do ? How will they adjust? What will be different about their personnel this year?

Quick first thoughts of Rocks opponents and dynamics that may be present and what I think may be important . And of course some things that just come to mind which usually means some one will make some kind of comment which I welcome as always .

Week One

Perrysburg -

Program ahs slipped the last 2 years after some nice runs in D-2 . They have some lineman back who quite frankly got their azzes kicked last year in this match-up. Saw the film that is available on you tube of the whole game . It wasn't pretty for P-Burg. Rocks have some folks back who did well in that game . Played without best running back Cam Scott and playmaker Drennan last year and still had no problem scoring. P-Burg will be better , have QB back and will be more competitive but they aren't closing the 41 point gap that much.

Week 2

AT Jerome - don't get an away game with any less of a travel than this one . What about 6-7 minutes? Jerome may be the more emotionally 'UP" team here . That is probably where any advantages sort of end though. I think the gap is still there personnel wise here. Jerome has a few good ballplayers and they are well coached and their program has great values and a plan in place. Coffman would be smart to really zero in on the fact that Jerome wants what they possess and that's to be the best program in the district. Rocks a bit too big overall and a bit faster and more athletic . Over 48 IF THE ROCKS PLAY THE FULL 48 they win . Simple as that really .

Week 3

AT Gahanna - Lowery is a problem for anyone Gahanna plays. Harris at RB ditto . Huge loss with Karter Johnson leaving as I have stated to go to PC for his Senior YR. Kid has a TCU commitment in his back pocket so why go to PC? You aren't winning a state title Karter this year . May be not even a regional ? O-line losses at PC are vast . Anyway , Gahanna picks up a transfer at WR from St Chazz who should help ease the loss of Bruckner and Miller . Coffman bullied the Lions up front in the second half last year and ran it down their throats . Could that be the strategy again ? This time with the QB running more?

Rocks lost because they couldn't run the clock out and couldn't stop the passing game when it counted , kind of a fatal flaw of last years team. Defensive secondary matches up better this year vs Lions receivers, which gives the Rocks a great shot at revenge .

Week 4

Olentangy - 4TH meeting in 2 years time. Rocks dominate in 2016 31-0 which was every bit the score . Game one last year was pretty even through almost 3 quarters , but a scoop and score by Tangy gave them a huge boost and they basically kicked the Rock sazz from that point on , played smarter and out schemed them as well .

Game two in the play -offs was as horrific a loss as I can remember , save the 2012 Davidson play-off debacle , Should have been 17-0 at half defense dominated completely in the first half offense had the ball in their territory 5 times , scored only 10, missed a receiver 20 yards open for a walk in score on a blown coverage that would have made it 17-0 .

Tangy moved it well all second half , 33 yard heave in the last minute to a young tall receiver who outplayed yet another Rocks D-back for the ball in the air to win it for tangy . Of course the Rocks again had a chance to run the clock out and make a first down but couldn't as was the pattern for most of the year.

This year Tangy doesn't have the same Defensive front and lose other players up front on offense and LB aren't stacked either . they have a QB that played as a Soph but lost his job last year . Good to really good receivers back so Rock swill be tested again against the pass. Sitting in a softer zone proved not to work that well last year , can they be more aggressive with a better secondary this year? I think so . Rocks will be up for this one .

Back up later with more games.
Old 05-14-18, 06:20 PM
All World

Week 5

AT Pickerington North -

Rumor of PN getting a move in to replace Jimmy Football ? I am not seeing it , but I may be not looking in the right place. Translation ? I am not privy to the info if it is a 'THING ". Otto Kuhns a really good 2020 prospect at Bloom Carrol was a rumor . A big framed athletic legit 6-3 195 kid who might benefit from playing at a higher level of Comp , is also a good hoops player seems to be staying put . As a favorite comic of mine once said, " I just helped a friend of mine 'Stay Put" , it's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just had to go over to his place and make sure he didn't start putting sheet into a truck ".

Anyway they seem to be rebuilding at QB? Have the talented Receiver who was once at Wayne back and a few other really swift , quick kids as well. This game will be interesting and may be a marquee game depending on how the first few games for each team. Coffman has a fairly tough schedule , they play enough teams that are capable of beating them but there isn't a team that they face that will overmatch them .

They can win all of them , IF they execute, but they can lose a few of them if they don't. This game to me could be defining in that it could be a must win possibly at worst case scenario { I doubt that } or it can separate them from some.

It will provide a real road test against a rising to the next level program that will be ready and of course it provides an interesting dynamic of being the first meeting of these programs . They have scrimmaged and it has been competitive especially in 2012 , and of course the aforementioned 2012 Davidson play-off debacle prevented the Rocks from meeting the Panthers as those two were the consensus two best teams that year in CO in the regional final . PN lost to Moeller with the clock running out with the ball inside the Big Moe 10 much like Coffman losing to ST X in 2007.

First time meeting that I will imagine will have a possible play-off atmosphere . I am really looking forward to this one myself and I am sure I will have a lot to write about concerning this one in the coming months . This type of interesting first time match-up is a reason we love high school football
Old 05-15-18, 05:50 AM
All Region

AHM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Week 5

AT Pickerington North -

Rumor of PN getting a move in to replace Jimmy Football ? I am not seeing it , but I may be not looking in the right place. Translation ? I am not privy to the info if it is a 'THING ". Otto Kuhns a really good 2020 prospect at Bloom Carrol was a rumor . A big framed athletic legit 6-3 195 kid who might benefit from playing at a higher level of Comp , is also a good hoops player seems to be staying put . As a favorite comic of mine once said, " I just helped a friend of mine 'Stay Put" , it's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just had to go over to his place and make sure he didn't start putting sheet into a truck ".

Anyway they seem to be rebuilding at QB? Have the talented Receiver who was once at Wayne back and a few other really swift , quick kids as well. This game will be interesting and may be a marquee game depending on how the first few games for each team. Coffman has a fairly tough schedule , they play enough teams that are capable of beating them but there isn't a team that they face that will overmatch them .

They can win all of them , IF they execute, but they can lose a few of them if they don't. This game to me could be defining in that it could be a must win possibly at worst case scenario { I doubt that } or it can separate them from some.

It will provide a real road test against a rising to the next level program that will be ready and of course it provides an interesting dynamic of being the first meeting of these programs . They have scrimmaged and it has been competitive especially in 2012 , and of course the aforementioned 2012 Davidson play-off debacle prevented the Rocks from meeting the Panthers as those two were the consensus two best teams that year in CO in the regional final . PN lost to Moeller with the clock running out with the ball inside the Big Moe 10 much like Coffman losing to ST X in 2007.

First time meeting that I will imagine will have a possible play-off atmosphere . I am really looking forward to this one myself and I am sure I will have a lot to write about concerning this one in the coming months . This type of interesting first time match-up is a reason we love high school football
Pickerington North will put a running clock on Coffman. Too much talent.
Much better coaching. See you week 5.
Old 05-15-18, 07:17 AM
Freshman

Rock Chalk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHM View Post
Pickerington North will put a running clock on Coffman. Too much talent.
Much better coaching. See you week 5.
Old 05-15-18, 09:52 AM
Junior Varsity

Killer Nut is on a distinguished road
I highly doubt a running clock either way.
Old 05-15-18, 03:37 PM
All World

Wouldn't he have to be in school already? Is he? QB is their biggest hole to fill after 3 plus years of Weirick , Lowery played as Frosh after Jimmy football got hurt during Soph yr. ?

Great place for a QB to go No question. PN won't be as good as last year's team IMO and I would be very surprised to see a running clock . Coffman isn't exactly devoid of talent themselves .

I think it will be a competitive game looking at the personnel of both teams I don't see the huge gap you do. We'll see .
Old 05-15-18, 03:38 PM
All World

Where did he go?
Old 05-15-18, 07:21 PM
All World

Mike Lowery started a few years ago as a frosh , pretty sure he isn't coming "
Home" lol .

Love the confidence of AHM , a known Coffman supporter and fan of mine lol . PN really put it on some folks last year. I mean I remember being really impressed by the way they absolutely embarrassed teams . 42-0 over Liberty who won R-3 . 42-3 over Westy C. 35-7 over R-Burg. Beat the crap out of Wayne , hammered C-Vile in a nolo contendere situation after losing by a point in the regular season .

I remember going back and forth telling the C-Vile fans that they weren't as good as North , won the game but weren't 'really" equals and that a second win was unlikely VERY unlikely. I was proven right .

That was last year however. They have some good folks back no question . Scott at WR Martin at RB Glover at DT, Baylor at WR , Cheatwood as a weapon, some solid lineman . BUT it's not last years team so to surmise that they crush Coffman as they did some folks of comparable quality THIS YEAR? It's a reach IMO.

Can they ;possibly handle them comfortably? I suppose , but who is the QB ? PN will be the favorite but this running clock opinion seems like a lot of emotional blather .
Old 05-15-18, 08:30 PM
All Region

Quote:
Mike Lowery started a few years ago as a frosh , pretty sure he isn't coming "
Home" lol .

Love the confidence of AHM , a known Coffman supporter and fan of mine lol . PN really put it on some folks last year. I mean I remember being really impressed by the way they absolutely embarrassed teams . 42-0 over Liberty who won R-3 . 42-3 over Westy C. 35-7 over R-Burg. Beat the crap out of Wayne , hammered C-Vile in a nolo contendere situation after losing by a point in the regular season .

I remember going back and forth telling the C-Vile fans that they weren't as good as North , won the game but weren't 'really" equals and that a second win was unlikely VERY unlikely. I was proven right .

That was last year however. They have some good folks back no question . Scott at WR Martin at RB Glover at DT, Baylor at WR , Cheatwood as a weapon, some solid lineman . BUT it's not last years team so to surmise that they crush Coffman as they did some folks of comparable quality THIS YEAR? It's a reach IMO.

Can they ;possibly handle them comfortably? I suppose , but who is the QB ? PN will be the favorite but this running clock opinion seems like a lot of emotional blather .
Hilreich has a couple very good QBs coming in. Hes building a real program to be reckoned with. When you put that talent with his proven coaching you have only seen the beginning. North is going to dominate for a long time.
Old 05-15-18, 08:46 PM
All World

OK then , 52-23 at Hammy T-ship . 32 years old ? Solid work I suppose seeing as his demo was ripe to bludgeon his league opponents with Hammy .

So he is born on third base in his first year at PN with a VETERAN QB to understate it and does a really good job with great talent . Crushed teams . This year we will see how good he is and from what I have heard PC will be better for the foreseeable future .

His talent level at both places was above most of his opponents . I think he is an excellent coach , a young rising legend but my point is PN -Coffman 2018 isn't a running clock situation .
Old 05-15-18, 08:54 PM
All World

So the 32 year old Hillerich and his staff have a 'HUGE BIG MASSIVE" coaching advantage over a very veteran successful Coffman staff? Ok man , I will take your bet that there won't be a running clock in this game for whatever amount you want. Thought so , I know you don't bet
Old 05-16-18, 05:50 AM
All Region

Quote:
So the 32 year old Hillerich and his staff have a 'HUGE BIG MASSIVE" coaching advantage over a very veteran successful Coffman staff? Ok man , I will take your bet that there won't be a running clock in this game for whatever amount you want. Thought so , I know you don't bet
Hit me up week 5. Im willing to take whatever bet you want.

Its hard for the 'very veteran successful' to admit that the young lions are taking over. Your not playing UA, Jerome or Scioto anymore when you play Picktown
Old 05-16-18, 06:16 AM
All World

you are right because it was soooooo long ago that pitiful UA beat Pick C two years in a row. yes I realize there are more move in's and the Pick's are the definition of a destination district , but you might want to slow down on the kingdom will have no end at North anyway.

I heard this from PC fans circa 2010- 2011 that they would be in-beatable for years to come , the 'Fun was just beginning they said. Well of course the programs have bene very good but not exactly the run they said was a done deal.

So excuse me if I don't say that Pick North might not be as strong as last year and that they won't rout Coffman by more than 30 . PN is the favorite no question , strong program but to expect the same team this year with the same production { Who is going to play QB why the secrecy ?} as last year without their 3 year starter is overly optimistic
Old 05-16-18, 06:24 AM
All World

You said the PN staff dwarfs Coffman's , this young lion stuff? I mean he looks like a very good coach with a really bright future , but this huge coaching gap you speak of is specious .

Mr Hillerich didn't exactly build this thing and he was VERY fortunate to have a ton of talent and a " Professional " High school QB playmaker at his disposal. Lets wait a year or two before putting the guy in the hall of fame , lets see him in a REBUILD year first. Very Good not incredible success at Hammy , and walked into a perfect situation last year .

Jimmy W, Wiley, Potts Giardina , Williams among some other Lineman aren't small losses , I like the talent coming back PN will be a very good team but they probably aren't going to running clock as many folks this season .

If I'm wrong I'm wrong .
Old 05-16-18, 09:20 AM
All World

WEEK 6

at Marysville -

Best thing about this trip is getting some Benny's Pizza at some point probably after the game. Former M-Ville student Ethan Brown will be Coffman's QB , he left M-Ville after Frosh yr. M-Ville program has a new coach and 2013 seems to getting further and further back in the rear view mirror.

No momentum to be found surrounding the M-Ville program which again this year seems a bit devoid of difference makers.

Big Tyler Connolly is a legit D-1 kid who also wrestles . 6-4 or so and 280? Walker heard is an excellent wrestler who plays QB but is limited as a passer . Can run a bit. Thomas Rush is at Minnesota and he was a huge part of the team and program . Not sure when M-Ville has a breakout year. This year doesn't appear to be the year . Rocks should roll here.

WEEK 7

Central Crossing -

Comets have what looks to be a solid LB crew which is a good building block to have to start with . Reasoner and Ewald are starting for the 4TH YEAR, in a row . I saw them as part of the 2015 CC team that beat Coffman in a stunning 18 point comeback in the last minutes. Coffman had a chance to win in OT needing to score a TD and kick an X point down 6 choked it away. After gaining 5 yards running the ball on the first play of the Rocks who were able to run the ball easily suddenly threw the ball three straight times for incompletions and lost the game. They could have run it in fairly easily going against Freshman linebackers but chose to not run it again .

Oh and Rocks had double digit holding calls that night , a school record . They should be able to throw the ball against this team as Comets will be fairly stout against the run . They did a nice job last year not getting gashed . As usual the Comets have athletes , BUT the days of Deric Williamson and his dad calling the plays is drifting from view.

Rocks should be comfortably ahead in the second half here.

Week 8

Davidson -

There was some pushback when Scrumper a faithful Rocks fan and a guy who knows his defense suggested that the Rocks had 'Cracked the Davidson run game code" ? I saw some adjustments from the regular season game in 2016 to the play-off game where Davidson won 7-6 in the regular season and Coffman won the rematch 24-3 . Davidson won some battles in game one and moved the ball better than the 7 points may suggest .

They didn't run roughshod either. But the stunning complete shut down in the play-off game suggest some nice adjustments were made. Davidson has scored 24 points in the last three games combined. Non Math majors can see that isn't good.

Last two games especially have been anemic production wise in terms of the vaunted Davidson run game and patented 8-9 minute drives.

Last years game saw the Cats score 14 points which would have been respectful going against an excellent Rocks LB crew and some excellent play along the D-line especially at nose. BUT the first score was in the first few minutes after Davidson forced a fumble on the first play of the game and got the ball at the Rocks 20 . Second TD was scored on a 4th and long and an option pitch and pass that saw HD score with Wright coming down with the ball with three Rocks defenders there .

HD got nothing done on the ground in this one as they also hit two other longer passes that accounted for the large majority of their yardage .

Cats return most of their O-Line { Backsenstoe a notable loss} basically their whole backfield as well . So you have to think that HD will be much improved in terms of yards per rush which was extremely low last year .

Defensively they have some really nice pieces to build around . LB 'S Royer and Annis , two HD legacy's return for their third year starting . Defensive end Ezrim is 6-5 255 ? He is getting some pre-season pub and could be more of a force this year? Gage Keys a rising Junior is a D-1 prospect with offers and a basketball player as well who goes 6-4 225-230 may be ? Will he be the LEO?

Area where the Rocks match up well is probably their receivers vs HD DB'S . But if Rock shave trouble running they may have some trouble protecting the passer if Cats can pin ears back with their two DE' types and really good experienced LB play .

Cats will be really motivated here, as White is probably chomping at the bit after not being able to run the ball consistently at all for two straight games vs Coffman. Rocks are rebuilding at LB , have some nice pieces up front on defense but some of it is untested or lightly experienced . Rocks strength on defense may be in the secondary which is good for a majority of the teams they will play, but HD is obviously a different animal .

Rocks will be faster and have more individual talent perhaps but look for HD to really get after it running the football with experienced kids. Rocks should take this as a challenge and beating Davidson three straight times for the first time.
Old 05-17-18, 12:01 PM
All World

Either he is attending PN now or he is not . Why the secrecy ? Did he ever actually move to Gahanna? hmm good question lol. I guess that would be typical for the Pickerington local sports academy district , hoops , and football especially, hard to keep track sometimes.
Old 05-17-18, 12:08 PM
All World

I don't see any evidence that Lowery is going to play at Pick North this year . if you have something more than nothing why not share.
Old 05-17-18, 01:03 PM
Junior Varsity

Killer Nut is on a distinguished road
Pickerington, the IMG of Central Ohio.
Old 05-17-18, 01:22 PM
All World

Well from what a knowledgeable poster from Pick says PC feeder Ridgeview could field a few team that could win their league . HMM Gonna be some very disappointed talented kids watching their classmates play at some point while they sit .

There is such thing as too much talent in terms of good quality kids not being able to get on the field. Time will tell if this is a problem , not that it's a bad problem I suppose unless you are the one sitting