Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-10-18, 08:28 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoprat2 View Post
District draw on Sunday with seeds going on now I see Scc getting a4 or 5 seed and Gview not doing any better. The interesting choices will be how WestJeff and Fairbanks get seeded off good seasons but against schools not in the Central district. Fairbanks ran into this in soccer. Two seasons ago they won the league with and excellent record But only got a seven seed. These b-ball teams do not have records that good but should be better than an8or 9 seed.
I believe you’re mistaken regarding Fairbanks and soccer (assuming that you mean boys soccer, yes?) Fairbanks received a top four seed in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

Regarding WJ, Fairbanks and their respective seeding: sorry, but it’s entirely plausible they’ll be an eight seed or lower. In fact, I don’t necessarily see either of them being in the top 7. The Central District, Division III tournament is absolutely stacked. There are four teams in that field, Harvest Prep, Bishop Ready, Wellington and Africentric, that all have very realistic chances to win the state title in D3. Pleasant, Elgin, and Northmor also have pretty solid records, and that’s before accounting for “always solid” teams in Grandview Heights and Newark Catholic.
Old 02-12-18, 08:53 AM
Freshman

Tiresias is on a distinguished road
Academy is in D3 as well.
Old 02-12-18, 09:38 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Nobody from the OHC deserved a high seed in the D3 Central district. IMO it's easily the most stacked district in the state in D3 and D4. Elgin is 15-3 and beat West Jeff by 30 and they only ended up being seeded 10th of 25. Northmoor has one loss to undefeated St. Peter's (D4 AP #1) and they're only seeded 5th.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-18, 04:15 PM
All Region

shoprat2 is on a distinguished road
I dont have any idea about this year’s Central district I was just trying to make the point that it is difficult to draw seeds when most of the voting coaches don’t know the quality or lack of quality opponents. Sorry about the run on sentence.
Old 02-13-18, 11:46 PM
All Region

Good game on High St in Springfield tonight. Irish beat Shawnee in OT. Low scoring game but well played. Every basket was contested. Not uncommon for either team to run several plays to get a good shot. In this day of shot clocks it was nice to see a game where every possession was valued.
Old 02-14-18, 08:11 AM
All Region

xscoutsoc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Good game on High St in Springfield tonight. Irish beat Shawnee in OT. Low scoring game but well played. Every basket was contested. Not uncommon for either team to run several plays to get a good shot. In this day of shot clocks it was nice to see a game where every possession was valued.
Absolutely - tried watching on the stream that they had online, but the quality was pretty terrible. Nice little out of conference test with a loud environment before the tournament for each team.
Old 02-14-18, 12:53 PM
All Region

It was great to see a full gym with a loud crowd. Been a while for that. Now the hope is for a decent tournament run. Optimistic about the future with many retuning players. If they don’t transfer that is.
Old 02-20-18, 04:45 PM
All Region

Congrats to Catholic Central on their first OHC title. Seems strange that it is their first I the league given the storied past. But all of that came before the OHC. Now we worry about how long we can hang on to this coach.
Old 02-20-18, 09:11 PM
All Yappi

I doubt that their coach is going anywhere any time soon.

Old 02-20-18, 11:28 PM
Junior Varsity

GoBucks15 is on a distinguished road
Congrats to WJ and WLS on each winning a share of the OHC north. SCC did indeed win the south but just wanted to clarify that there was a champ in the north and the south just like football. WJ, WLS, and SCC were the most consistent teams in the league all year. Great year of hoops is almost in the books. WJ is more than likely the favorite to win the league in baseball as well and what an accomplishment that would be for the seniors. Winning the league in all three sports is something that doesn’t ever happen and they have a chance to do that this spring.
Old 02-21-18, 12:23 AM
All Region

How did WJ and Fairbanks do at the tournament seeding?
Old 02-21-18, 05:52 AM
All Yappi

West Jeff has a bye and should face Northmoor. They won 20 games and have a couple 6-'7-6'8 kids that are relatively athletic. Fairbanks drew Grandview Heights, which I believe won 17-18 games.

I'm not expecting either to get out of that opening game. West Jeff may have some chance if they play close to their potential, but a win likely puts them in a district semifinal against Africentric, and that would likely be the end of the road, regardless of how well they play.

Old 02-21-18, 10:04 AM
All American

ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
I doubt that their coach is going anywhere any time soon.

Any particular reason?
Old 02-21-18, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
Any particular reason?
Works for either Springfield City Schools or the magnet school, and I believe his wife and a lot of family are Central alums/big supporters.

Not to stir the pot, but his current teaching/coaching arrangement is better than anything else he'll be able to get around Springfield as long as ball players keep making their way to Central. The better county jobs are stable and have been for several years.

Old 02-22-18, 01:07 PM
All American

Quote:
Works for either Springfield City Schools or the magnet school, and I believe his wife and a lot of family are Central alums/big supporters.

Not to stir the pot, but his current teaching/coaching arrangement is better than anything else he'll be able to get around Springfield as long as ball players keep making their way to Central. The better county jobs are stable and have been for several years.

Ah, I didn't know that.
Old 02-22-18, 04:31 PM
All Region

You have seen it at Northwetern in fb. Coach wins at a small school and moves on. Happens all over,all the time. Who ever thought Stokes would leave Urbana fb.
Old 02-22-18, 09:45 PM
All Yappi

The Northwestern football coach got a job close to where he grew up in Stark county.

Community people do leave occasionally (Stokes at Urbana, Cupps at Graham), but I think Sarensen has a pretty good gig at SCC, especially with a usually favorable tournament draw playing out of Troy (as opposed to the northern OHC teams playing out of Piqua). His sum total $$$ between teaching and coaching has to be pretty good for being in the Springfield/Urbana area.

IMO, he's not leaving any time soon unless he goes back to the Columbus area, as I believe he's from Lancaster. Around here, the only good job that I could see being available sometime soon is Kenton Ridge if Spriggs retires. Urbana, Shawnee and Tecumseh all have mid-career guys that have been around for 15 years. Too much money to be given up (in most cases) to go elsewhere at that point.

Old 02-22-18, 10:07 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Coach Sarensen is thought of very highly in Lancaster. Alum of LHS, formerly worked with IEP & special needs within Lancaster City Schools and incredibly self-driven. The only thing he enjoys more than the game of basketball is knowing that kids take great pleasure in the game of basketball.

SCC has one of the best young coaches in Ohio in him.
Old 02-23-18, 07:55 AM
All American

Quote:
The Northwestern football coach got a job close to where he grew up in Stark county.

Community people do leave occasionally (Stokes at Urbana, Cupps at Graham), but I think Sarensen has a pretty good gig at SCC, especially with a usually favorable tournament draw playing out of Troy (as opposed to the northern OHC teams playing out of Piqua). His sum total $$$ between teaching and coaching has to be pretty good for being in the Springfield/Urbana area.

IMO, he's not leaving any time soon unless he goes back to the Columbus area, as I believe he's from Lancaster. Around here, the only good job that I could see being available sometime soon is Kenton Ridge if Spriggs retires. Urbana, Shawnee and Tecumseh all have mid-career guys that have been around for 15 years. Too much money to be given up (in most cases) to go elsewhere at that point.

The impression I got from one person I talked to is that, if he ever left SCC, it wouldn't be for a local high school job.

Disclaimer: I don't know how connected that person is.
Old 02-25-18, 07:45 AM
All Region

Watched the SCC vs Cedarville game last night. Cedarville made a bit of a run in the second half, but had no answer for Doolittle getting to the bucket.

Any other ohc games anyone saw?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-18, 09:52 AM
All Yappi

West Liberty had a nice win over Greeneview last night.

By my count, I believe there's five OHC teams remaining, and four of them are huge underdogs in their next game. West Liberty vs. Versailles, Greenon vs. Bethel, West Jeff vs. Northmoor, and Madison-Plains vs. Harvest Prep. Barring a tremendous upset, Central should be the only team standing after this weekend. I'm not sure that is a much of a lock either. Judging by league performance, Legacy Christian may be better than I first believed.

Old 03-01-18, 08:18 AM
All Region

Quote:
I'm not sure that is a much of a lock either. Judging by league performance, Legacy Christian may be better than I first believed.

Agreed - Legacy looked tough in their first game against Jefferson. They definitely like to get out and run at any opportunity. Really looking forward to this one, as it seems like Central is finding their groove as well.
Old 03-03-18, 08:00 PM
All Region

After 3, SCC up 29-26 on Legacy. Really entertaining back and forth game

Old 03-03-18, 08:37 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by xscoutsoc View Post
After 3, SCC up 29-26 on Legacy. Really entertaining back and forth game

SCC hits a 3 at the end of regulation to tie. Wins 42-40 in OT

Old 03-04-18, 07:16 PM
All Region

Irish win

Central goes to district with sectional win over Legacy Christian in OT. Close game all the way with both teams playing solid defense. Irish had halftime lead but Legacy changed to a 2-3 zone and the pace slowed. Both teams would go almost a minute at a time trying for good shots. Both teams could have won with better foul shooting legacy had a 3point lead going into the final Possession. The Irish got the shot they wanted for the tie with about 10 seconds. Jacob Woeber out worked the other guy for the rebound and kicked it out to Trey Dunn for a three pointer at the buzzer to tie the game. In OT the Irish held the ball to pull Legacy out of the zone. Then CCHS controlled the OT.
Old 03-05-18, 01:36 PM
All Yappi

I like Central's district matchup better than their sectional final matchup. The MBC teams proved to be much tougher this postseason than I expected.

Ripley plays in the SHAC, which is very basketball centric. I believe everybody in their league is a smaller D4, and none of them field football programs. I'd venture to guess Ripley probably has similar talent to West Liberty or Triad. I like Central by around 15 points in what will probably be the only semi-competitive game at UD on Friday.
Old 03-05-18, 01:56 PM
All Region

Quote:
I like Central's district matchup better than their sectional final matchup. The MBC teams proved to be much tougher this postseason than I expected.

Ripley plays in the SHAC, which is very basketball centric. I believe everybody in their league is a smaller D4, and none of them field football programs. I'd venture to guess Ripley probably has similar talent to West Liberty or Triad. I like Central by around 15 points in what will probably be the only semi-competitive game at UD on Friday.
Agreed - I was thinking that the winner of the Legacy/SCC game would be the "favorite" in the District Final. Obviously, they have to play the game still and a place like UD Arena can change how a team plays.
Old 03-07-18, 05:40 PM
All Region

Jet19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You have seen it at Northwetern in fb. Coach wins at a small school and moves on. Happens all over,all the time. Who ever thought Stokes would leave Urbana fb.
Not trying to switch gears to football but I never thought Stokes or Marino would leave Urbana. Of course both have had much more success in the MAC than they would have prob had at Urbana.
Old 03-09-18, 09:29 PM
All Region

SCC with an exciting district final win tonight. Doolittle seemed to realize he couldn't be guarded early and dropped 21 at UD Arena

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk