Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-18-18, 11:01 PM
Gwfrick21 Gwfrick21 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-23-17
Posts: 7
Gwfrick21 is on a distinguished road
OATCCC State Qualifying

I'm just trying to make sure I understand the qualification rules correctly. I've read the rules on the website, again, I'm just trying to make sure I understand them correctly.

So the rules say that to make the Top 40 Qualification list, you must run for a team and can't be unattached. So if Runner A is ranked 25th in the State but Runner B is ranked 17th but unattached, would Runner B not be included and Runner A would be in the Top 24?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-19-18, 10:00 AM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 918
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
In theory yes. But sometimes in years past the unattached does change to a team name. Sometimes there is a reporting error on the entries or results.

The other variable to watch-- teams with 3-4 athletes in one event. Boys 400 has this up top with Pickerington Central with 4 guys in at least the top 10 right now. Teams can only declare 2 people in each event.

The other KEY variable is to watch what TEAMS never go to the indoor state meet. Historically Cincinnati Withrow never attends the indoor state meet. Even though they could easily win the state meet the last 3 years or contend.

Cincinnati LaSalle- when they were great NEVER attended the state meet.

It is a pretty far drive for the Cincy schools- especially this year with it being in Geneva- which could be 5 hours for some schools. 5 hours south you could end up in Atlanta- which the weather is much better this time of year.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-19-18, 11:00 AM
Rohbino Rohbino is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-07
Location: Hunting Valley
Posts: 1,687
Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post

It is a pretty far drive for the Cincy schools- especially this year with it being in Geneva- which could be 5 hours for some schools. 5 hours south you could end up in Atlanta- which the weather is much better this time of year.
Geneva is certainly a hike from Cincinnati but Atlanta is 7 hours away, not 5.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-19-18, 03:30 PM
CC Track Fan CC Track Fan is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-17-16
Posts: 210
CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
In theory yes. But sometimes in years past the unattached does change to a team name. Sometimes there is a reporting error on the entries or results.

The other variable to watch-- teams with 3-4 athletes in one event. Boys 400 has this up top with Pickerington Central with 4 guys in at least the top 10 right now. Teams can only declare 2 people in each event.

The other KEY variable is to watch what TEAMS never go to the indoor state meet. Historically Cincinnati Withrow never attends the indoor state meet. Even though they could easily win the state meet the last 3 years or contend.

Cincinnati LaSalle- when they were great NEVER attended the state meet.

It is a pretty far drive for the Cincy schools- especially this year with it being in Geneva- which could be 5 hours for some schools. 5 hours south you could end up in Atlanta- which the weather is much better this time of year.
I would be surprised if many Dayton and others teams further south make that trip. Think about how long it would be if you mix a little snow into the drive. They should consider having there own (SE)Ohio state championship meet.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-18, 07:09 PM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 2,864
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Cedarville should host a SW Ohio State indoor meet if Geneva is going to be the place for this.


OATCCC would be smart to host 2 of them....$$$$
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-19-18, 08:05 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,830
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Remember when the OHSAA had the outdoor state meet at Wright State and none of the NE schools traveled there to compete? It upsets me every year when none of the seniors from the NE part of the state participate in the Mid-East Meet of Champions in Kettering, but it is too far, so I guess it's the right thing to do. NTN... Too far. Footlocker...not sure it's even possible to get there from here.

Two state meets. Yeah, that makes sense. 4 would be better though. Yeah, have 4 meets and then take the top 4 finishers from each of the meets and have a meet the following week in Columbus. Wait, that won't work. That's stupid. People would have to get hotel rooms and such. They should get hotels up in NE part of the state. That would be helpful and solve some problems.

It's all impossible.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-20-18, 07:47 AM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 918
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Remember when the OHSAA had the outdoor state meet at Wright State and none of the NE schools traveled there to compete? It upsets me every year when none of the seniors from the NE part of the state participate in the Mid-East Meet of Champions in Kettering, but it is too far, so I guess it's the right thing to do. NTN... Too far. Footlocker...not sure it's even possible to get there from here.

Two state meets. Yeah, that makes sense. 4 would be better though. Yeah, have 4 meets and then take the top 4 finishers from each of the meets and have a meet the following week in Columbus. Wait, that won't work. That's stupid. People would have to get hotel rooms and such. They should get hotels up in NE part of the state. That would be helpful and solve some problems.

It's all impossible.
100% agree on the first part of your sarcasm except for the state meet was at Welcome Stadium- home of the Dayton Public Schools. The main reasoning most state tournaments are in Columbus. Better attendance.

Mideast meet struggles with seniors from NE Ohio. Many of the teams that go to NIKE are from Central Ohio, Dayton and Cincinnati. Hudson wasn't there last year. Rarely does Nike see an influx from NE Ohio. The struggle is real. A 6 hour car ride to run for 15-20 minutes is not ideal. Footlocker has been decreasing in numbers for over a decade now in the elite races. The fun runs will always be huge because of the costumes. But the elite races are not ideal for above average runners.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-20-18, 02:16 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,830
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
My bad on the location of the state meet. I was not living in Ohio at the time. I went from memory. I actually thought it was odd, cuz I'm not sure if Wright State has a track. I went with Wright State though.

Mid-East does not have a problem getting kids from the NE. In the last 10 years, The NE made up 33% of the girl runners and 42% of the boys. That's being very strict with defining NE. Throw some schools on the borderline in and it's a bit higher. Also, Considering the other teams come from Michigan, Indiana and Illinois, distance really isn't a concern.

Footlocker has suffered from Nike competing with them. NXN or NTN whatever it is called gets it's fair share of NE Ohio runners and teams.

What is the actual seating at Cedarville? I know it's said that it holds a lot, but what about actual spectator seating. I'd have no problem rotating the meet to Cedarville if it can handle the meet. Spire is a great facility and it's hard to believe that people would pooh pooh it because of distance. It's world class. Akron is no toilet either.

The OATCCC meet is more a showcase for the top kids in the state for indoor and not a true state championship meet. I've supported it when we have had kids qualify and made sure my daughter participated to promote it and give back to the sport when she was competing. Even though she played basketball and only ran one or two meets to qualify.

I have a big house. I'll put some people up if they need a place for the night. I could probably put up 6-10 people. More than glad to do it. Even CC609 is welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-20-18, 02:57 PM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 2,864
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
My bad on the location of the state meet. I was not living in Ohio at the time. I went from memory. I actually thought it was odd, cuz I'm not sure if Wright State has a track. I went with Wright State though.

Mid-East does not have a problem getting kids from the NE. In the last 10 years, The NE made up 33% of the girl runners and 42% of the boys. That's being very strict with defining NE. Throw some schools on the borderline in and it's a bit higher. Also, Considering the other teams come from Michigan, Indiana and Illinois, distance really isn't a concern.

Footlocker has suffered from Nike competing with them. NXN or NTN whatever it is called gets it's fair share of NE Ohio runners and teams.

What is the actual seating at Cedarville? I know it's said that it holds a lot, but what about actual spectator seating. I'd have no problem rotating the meet to Cedarville if it can handle the meet. Spire is a great facility and it's hard to believe that people would pooh pooh it because of distance. It's world class. Akron is no toilet either.

The OATCCC meet is more a showcase for the top kids in the state for indoor and not a true state championship meet. I've supported it when we have had kids qualify and made sure my daughter participated to promote it and give back to the sport when she was competing. Even though she played basketball and only ran one or two meets to qualify.

I have a big house. I'll put some people up if they need a place for the night. I could probably put up 6-10 people. More than glad to do it. Even CC609 is welcome.


You would put me in the garage!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-20-18, 07:29 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,830
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
There's a nice 1984 VW Vanagon in that garage. Full size bed. Might be mice running around, but the skunk has not come around in a year or so and the raccoons tend to stay out of the garage. If you are allergic to cats, dogs or opossums, my house might not be for you. If you are afraid of coyotes, we won't have a snipe hunt.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-21-18, 05:53 AM
Rohbino Rohbino is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-07
Location: Hunting Valley
Posts: 1,687
Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Cedarville should host a SW Ohio State indoor meet if Geneva is going to be the place for this.


OATCCC would be smart to host 2 of them....$$$$
From my house in Sycamore Twp near Blue Ash and south of Mason, Spire is only about 4 hours . To Stile Fieldhouse at Akron U it's about 3 hours - a negligible difference. I don't know why it was moved from Akron; a contract dispute, calendar issues, or whatever, but the additional 45 minutes of drive time isn't a big deal. I think most people around the state would be amenable to a rotating site so perhaps the OATCCC should consider that.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-23-18, 07:09 PM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,239
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Cedarville will not be the only facility in SW Ohio in a couple years. A new one is coming..due to break ground this spring.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-18, 01:52 PM
CC Track Fan CC Track Fan is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-17-16
Posts: 210
CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
Cedarville will not be the only facility in SW Ohio in a couple years. A new one is coming..due to break ground this spring.
Where? I seem to recall maybe Wilmington?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-24-18, 01:59 PM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 918
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
Where? I seem to recall maybe Wilmington?
Wittenberg

http://www9.wittenberg.edu/hwa/indoor.html
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-24-18, 02:23 PM
Rohbino Rohbino is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-07
Location: Hunting Valley
Posts: 1,687
Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Where is the seating?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-24-18, 07:39 PM
Finishtiming Finishtiming is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-25-10
Posts: 360
Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
There is hardly any seating if any at Wittenberg as I have seen the prints in a meeting with them.
Wilmington will have one and possibly my be done before wittenbergs will be. 200 flat track but might one of the best in the country after seeing what it will look like. Will have a new surface that has been tested in different facilities and is showing to be a very fast surface. Double throws, polevaults, long jumps. Seating for around 2-3000. Upper running track also. Full turf room that is existing will be used for Team camps. Double straights to run 2 sprints at same time.

Last edited by Finishtiming; 02-24-18 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-25-18, 12:55 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,239
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
Where? I seem to recall maybe Wilmington?
Stay tuned, as they say.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-25-18, 08:47 PM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 918
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
Where is the seating?
I would assume they would put bleachers on the infield. They could fit 1000-2000 in bleachers on the infield with a 300 meter oval.

It looks like the UK track. UK fits many people on the infield with success.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-26-18, 10:11 AM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 2,864
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
So I entered all my atheltes that are in the top 40. If they choose to not compete after the declaration window cloese tuesday.....who do you contact?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-26-18, 11:03 AM
ENA2 ENA2 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-06-16
Posts: 88
ENA2 is on a distinguished road
ccrunner609,
How did you register already? the OATCCC link still says the" registration window is closed"? I will try again after school.

regardless
If someone who is qualified decides not to run on Wednesday or thursday, i'm sure you could contact finishtiming and they could contact the next person up (or their coach). or maybe they won't... but that, I would think could be possible.
but if someone changes their mind or is too exhusted to contend the 1600 after the 4 x 8,on Saturday, then there will be less than 24 in some events.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-26-18, 11:17 AM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 2,864
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
i entered them at mileplsit htis morning
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-26-18, 12:08 PM
Finishtiming Finishtiming is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-25-10
Posts: 360
Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENA2 View Post
ccrunner609,
How did you register already? the OATCCC link still says the" registration window is closed"? I will try again after school.

regardless
If someone who is qualified decides not to run on Wednesday or thursday, i'm sure you could contact finishtiming and they could contact the next person up (or their coach). or maybe they won't... but that, I would think could be possible.
but if someone changes their mind or is too exhusted to contend the 1600 after the 4 x 8,on Saturday, then there will be less than 24 in some events.
I am not sure of the process this year but DO NOT contact finishtiming as I am going to just tell you to contact milesplit as I have nothing to do with the indoor state meet this year. We are not timing the meet.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-26-18, 12:59 PM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 2,864
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Haha.....I will now flood Mike with 50 text messages about how to get registered!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-26-18, 01:00 PM
Finishtiming Finishtiming is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-25-10
Posts: 360
Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Haha.....I will now flood Mike with 50 text messages about how to get registered!!!!
I am not answering phone today. haha. Only checking forums to see the problems that I warned them about but nobody thinks is a big deal. Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-26-18, 01:05 PM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 2,864
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Mike you have our stuff on the schedule?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-26-18, 03:00 PM
ENA2 ENA2 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-06-16
Posts: 88
ENA2 is on a distinguished road
I am sorry Finishtiming (Mike).... I hope it is not too bad for them at milesplit. still not sure if there is a late (wed/thurs) scratch, that milesplit will get the next one up entered into the meet. I guess we will see.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-26-18, 05:21 PM
Gwfrick21 Gwfrick21 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-23-17
Posts: 7
Gwfrick21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENA2 View Post
I am sorry Finishtiming (Mike).... I hope it is not too bad for them at milesplit. still not sure if there is a late (wed/thurs) scratch, that milesplit will get the next one up entered into the meet. I guess we will see.
I really hope there's a chance for the outliers (#27-#30's) to get in. I'm sure in some of the Distance events, there's a chance. It'd suck if they're the last ones cut then someone, for example, like Joe Spitzer, Caleb Brown, or Zach Kreft sign up for both, but scratch the 32 and take one the 32 runners spot.

Also, any word on Kreft and what he's doing? I know Chad Johnson announced on twitter he's running the 16 but Kreft, I feel like he could perhaps guide his team to a relay title, 16 title, and win the 32 too. Do you think he'd do that?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-26-18, 06:41 PM
ENA2 ENA2 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-06-16
Posts: 88
ENA2 is on a distinguished road
with the limited time between events...especially the 4 x 8 / 1600. that may be the toughest triple possible. Example: Cole lovett won the 1600 outdoors last year but had no chance in the indoor 1600 due to the 8 x 800 less than an hour later...his sacrifice was worth it as Cole's team (Carrollton) won the 4 x 800 indoors. He then had to scratch the 1600 and was still not 100% for the 3200 (only ran 9:50).
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-27-18, 09:04 AM
Spartan1969 Spartan1969 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-13-17
Posts: 16
Spartan1969 is on a distinguished road
Indoor 60 Hurdle Prelims- Who Qualifies

With 24 hurdlers. How many qualify to finals on a ten lane track. I can't find that information anywhere. I would think they do three heats of eight, leave lane 1 and ten open of hurdles, and qualify top two in each heat, then the next two fastest times. That gives you a eight person final. But they do have a ten lane track. Anybody know if this is what is happening. I can't find prelim qualifying information anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-27-18, 09:28 AM
cvctrackfan cvctrackfan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-08-10
Posts: 1,910
cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Probably 9 qualifiers....top two places in each heat. And next three fastest....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perrysburg D-1 District Rankings (Regular Season #1) McClearn7 Wrestling 1 11-17-17 02:02 PM
Heath D-2 District Rankings (Off Season #3) McClearn7 Wrestling 9 09-03-17 05:38 PM
Waite D-3 District Rankings (Off-Season #1) McClearn7 Wrestling 15 07-22-17 10:47 AM
OHSAA 2017 Baseball State Tournament Preview Yappi Baseball 1 05-30-17 11:25 PM
Coshocton D-3 District Rankings (off season #1) McClearn7 Wrestling 3 05-30-17 07:19 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz