Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-09-15, 10:24 AM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
Lopsided loss

Is St. I's really that good in their beat down of Uniontown Green 9-1 or was Green ill prepared to play at a higher level? At this point in the Tournament scores should be 1-0, 2-1 or maybe as high at 3 goals.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-15, 10:45 AM
All American

bluengold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKSONE View Post
Is St. I's really that good in their beat down of Uniontown Green 9-1 or was Green ill prepared to play at a higher level? At this point in the Tournament scores should be 1-0, 2-1 or maybe as high at 3 goals.
Echoing FormerWildcat's post in another thread - it is a bit of both.

Green's schedule was not that strong. Their coach said in the Beacon Journal's report of the game: “They have two or three players that are far better than anyone we’ve seen.”

Ignatius had a challenging schedule this season, including against nationally ranked teams in New York, and has a talented team that improved significantly over the season. The Wildcats had 4 seniors and a junior returning from last season's championship team with big match experience + added 12 juniors and a sophomore from an unbeaten JV squad. They all have improved, especially those latter 13, since the early season matches vs Mason and Toledo St. John's.

Last edited by bluengold; 11-09-15 at 11:03 AM..
Old 11-09-15, 03:21 PM
All District

jasrccw is on a distinguished road
It was a case of David vs Goliath. Greens team consisted of a group of local kids who developed a great team chemistry that carried them all the way to the regional finals. There they ran into a private school team full of recruited players put together to win and play at a national level.
Old 11-09-15, 04:37 PM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasrccw View Post
It was a case of David vs Goliath. Greens team consisted of a group of local kids who developed a great team chemistry that carried them all the way to the regional finals. There they ran into a private school team full of recruited players put together to win and play at a national level.
Here we go... But, if it makes you feel better...
Old 11-09-15, 05:13 PM
All Ohio

CincyIllinifan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't think St. Ignatius recruits players. I'm sure the fact that they have such a successful program with great coaching is enough of a draw to lure good players from the Cleveland metro area.
Old 11-09-15, 06:01 PM
All District

I don't need anything "to make me feel better". Green had a great season and everybody associated with the team is very proud of what they accomplished. The bottom line is Green is not an open enrollment district so we can only count on kids that actually reside in the district. St. I's and the other private schools can draw from a big geographic area so that is clearly an advantage. So unless the OHSAA changes the rules, the odds of a public school winning it all in D-1 are pretty big. No sour grapes from, it was a fun ride while it lasted.
Old 11-09-15, 06:10 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Got multiple things in play:

Green advanced to a point in the tournament this year that is farther than they have ever advanced before. In the recent past, this is not a team that has ever been at the regional level; not sure if they've even been to a district final. Sometimes when you get to levels above where the program has been before, there can be a "culture shock".

In looking at Green's schedule, it's not a "bad" schedule; however, it's not as strong as the higher end D1 teams would tend to play. In fairness to Green, it's not like they have years of district finals games and regional tournament appearances under their belt as a standard to schedule to.

Over the course of this type of game, things tend to cascade, which is how the score gets out of hand.

Then of course is the obvious, St. Ignatius is very good and has a very talented roster.
Old 11-09-15, 06:47 PM
All District

flank is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't need anything "to make me feel better". Green had a great season and everybody associated with the team is very proud of what they accomplished. The bottom line is Green is not an open enrollment district so we can only count on kids that actually reside in the district. St. I's and the other private schools can draw from a big geographic area so that is clearly an advantage. So unless the OHSAA changes the rules, the odds of a public school winning it all in D-1 are pretty big. No sour grapes from, it was a fun ride while it lasted.
If it makes you feel any better. Mason won 2013 D1 state. Many of those boys went on and played d123.. Great run for Green!
Old 11-09-15, 06:53 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
St Ignatius can fill every seat in the school for the next 50 years with legacy students and they would still be dominant in most sports.
Old 11-09-15, 10:35 PM
Varsity

soccerlogic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You obviously do need to feel better because you ate a bunch of sour grapes...

Public schools that have won D1
Mason 2013 (will probably win it 2015 too)
Olentangy Liberty 2010
Gahanna 2009
Stow-Monroe 2006

Quit making excuses. WAH!!!
Old 11-09-15, 10:40 PM
All World

other1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerlogic View Post

Olentangy Liberty 2010
Gahanna 2009
Stow-Monroe 2006

St. Ignatius won D1 in 2010. St. Ignatius will probably win D1 in 2015.
Old 11-09-15, 10:43 PM
Varsity

soccerlogic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by other1 View Post
St. Ignatius won D1 in 2010. St. Ignatius will probably win D1 in 2015.
Ops! you're right, I meant 2012
Old 11-10-15, 11:45 AM
All American

HDvHS FAN is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Olentangy Liberty 2010
Gahanna 2009
Stow-Monroe 2006

Hilliard Davidson, 2007
Old 11-11-15, 02:51 PM
All American

Cleveland, TN
Quote:

Olentangy Liberty 2010
Gahanna 2009
Stow-Monroe 2006

Looking a little further back..

Other than St. Ignatius (6 titles since 2004), no other private school has won a DI state title in soccer since Walsh Jesuit last did it 25 years ago in 1990.
Old 11-11-15, 03:57 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
The game was scoreless for about the first 10 minutes. Ignatius proceeded to score 3 goals over the next 15 minutes. Green then scored, the first goal given up by Ignatius in the playoffs, and the Green team and fans got back into the game. Then Ignatius scored about a minute later, making it 4-1. Green just seemed to go through the motions after that.
Old 11-11-15, 07:29 PM
Junior Varsity

Mad about Futbol is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You can only field a team of 22. So a Public D1 school like Mason with around 1350 male enrollment can at least have the potential to compete with a St. Ignatius that can attract the top talent across in the Cleveland Metro Area. At a Mason 1.6 out of a hundred boys can be rostered. (Smaller Public D1 schools will have less of a broad base to draw from)

The effect is magnified in D3. The largest D3 school will roster 1.2 out of every 10 boys. Smaller schools, might even roster 1 in 5! Hoping to compete on an even basis with a private D3 school that can attract top talent from a large metro area is futile. Look at D3 over the past 15 years- the trend is getting worse...
2001-2005 Final four: 11/20 Private. Champions: 2/5 Private
2006-2010 Final four: 13/20 Private. Champions: 3/5 Private
2011-2015 Final four: 15/20 Private. Champions: 4/4 and expect to be 5/5.

Here in the Southwest we hear complaints about the ‘weakness’ of the D3 competition from Summit. I say they are a victim of their own success.
Old 11-11-15, 09:04 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad about Futbol View Post
You can only field a team of 22. So a Public D1 school like Mason with around 1350 male enrollment can at least have the potential to compete with a St. Ignatius that can attract the top talent across in the Cleveland Metro Area. At a Mason 1.6 out of a hundred boys can be rostered. (Smaller Public D1 schools will have less of a broad base to draw from)

The effect is magnified in D3. The largest D3 school will roster 1.2 out of every 10 boys. Smaller schools, might even roster 1 in 5! Hoping to compete on an even basis with a private D3 school that can attract top talent from a large metro area is futile. Look at D3 over the past 15 years- the trend is getting worse...
2001-2005 Final four: 11/20 Private. Champions: 2/5 Private
2006-2010 Final four: 13/20 Private. Champions: 3/5 Private
2011-2015 Final four: 15/20 Private. Champions: 4/4 and expect to be 5/5.

Here in the Southwest we hear complaints about the ‘weakness’ of the D3 competition from Summit. I say they are a victim of their own success.
BTW, Green has a male enrollment of about 650.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: