Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-20-16, 07:15 PM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Sean O'Toole new AD at Gilmour

http://www.cleveland.com/hssports/bl...rt_more_sports
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-16, 08:32 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Interesting...

Good news for Sean. Staying on at Ignatius would have been painful. I'm guessing Sean knows current Gilmour boys b-ball coach well as they both played at Carroll...did Sean coach Pfundstein at JCU?
Old 05-21-16, 09:51 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Seems like an unlikely match up, but I wish him the best. Sean is a great guy and a excellent basketball coach. Im sure he will be helping Dave Pfundstein out a bit on the basketball side. You don't bring in a resource like Sean and not use him. Maybe Sean will be able to attract the kind of player that Gilmour normally does not get. The interesting question is does his kids attend Iggy or Gilmour ?
Old 05-21-16, 02:21 PM
All District

spinoza74 is on a distinguished road
Good move by Gilmour imo. I believe O'Toole did indeed coach Pfundstein. And remember, he was also part of the letter that was sent to the Ignatius Admin. after the controversy around this time last year.
Old 05-22-16, 07:43 AM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Long commute. I believe he lives in Avon Lake
Old 05-23-16, 08:04 AM
All World

He does in fact live in Avon Lake. This is a great move by Gilmour. When you get Sean you get a lot more than just an AD. I'm sure he will move his Big 33 basketball camp to the outstanding facilities at Gilmour as well as his youth leagues. This will only enhance the appeal of Gilmour to young kids. The BIG issue Sean will face is the money factor. It was hard enough to get kids to come to Iggy because of the expense, Gilmour is on a whole different level money wise. Either way just having Sean as part of your school is a plus.
Old 05-23-16, 10:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
He does in fact live in Avon Lake. This is a great move by Gilmour. When you get Sean you get a lot more than just an AD. I'm sure he will move his Big 33 basketball camp to the outstanding facilities at Gilmour as well as his youth leagues. This will only enhance the appeal of Gilmour to young kids. The BIG issue Sean will face is the money factor. It was hard enough to get kids to come to Iggy because of the expense, Gilmour is on a whole different level money wise. Either way just having Sean as part of your school is a plus.
He lives in Avon.

Your "information" about Ignatius...someone tell you this kind of stuff on a barstool at Skinny's? If you are talking about whether someone from a poor background will pay more at Ignatius or Gilmour? Start with this...Ignatius accepts the voucher ($5k off the top)...Gilmour can't. Ignatius starts at around $15k; Gilmour...$25k? After the voucher, factoring in financial aid, an inner city young man will attend Ignatius for no more than a few thousand dollars. Gilmour can match that, I suppose. They can't do better than that.
Old 05-23-16, 10:51 AM
All World

I don't need to go to Skinny's to know Iggy is expensive. You are also delusional if you think it is not. You are correct about the voucher program as well. Even with the voucher Iggy is an expensive school for most inner city kids. Sure if they want you bad enough anything is possible, but that opportunity is not available to every student. I know for a fact you have to re-apply every year for your financial help from the school. Gilmour is much more expensive to attend and that will make it even harder to bring in the type of athlete needed to turn the sports programs around. I'm sure they have the resources to make it affordable for any kid they want bad enough, every private school has that option. If my information is incorrect why is there not a lot more inner city kids walking the halls at Iggy ? I see the rosters for the sports teams and they are peppered with Westside kids. I do not see a lot of Cleveland, East Cleveland, Euclid, Richmond Heights and other inner city type suburbs. Explain that since Iggy is so affordable.
Old 05-23-16, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't need to go to Skinny's to know Iggy is expensive. You are also delusional if you think it is not. You are correct about the voucher program as well. Even with the voucher Iggy is an expensive school for most inner city kids. Sure if they want you bad enough anything is possible, but that opportunity is not available to every student. I know for a fact you have to re-apply every year for your financial help from the school. Gilmour is much more expensive to attend and that will make it even harder to bring in the type of athlete needed to turn the sports programs around. I'm sure they have the resources to make it affordable for any kid they want bad enough, every private school has that option. If my information is incorrect why is there not a lot more inner city kids walking the halls at Iggy ? I see the rosters for the sports teams and they are peppered with Westside kids. I do not see a lot of Cleveland, East Cleveland, Euclid, Richmond Heights and other inner city type suburbs. Explain that since Iggy is so affordable.
Give me the name of a private high school that competes with Ignatius academically that has a lot of students from the areas you mention.

I'll wait.

As for the money...I live in the city. I am VERY familiar with the voucher and with what middle class (and lower) people pay to attend Ignatius. A few thousand is common (after the voucher), even for people who have jobs like cop and fire fighter.
Old 05-23-16, 11:20 AM
All World

I said nothing wrong in my post that would make you jump in and talk Ignatius. Just say the truth. Ignatius is available to select few athletes or scholars from the inner city. Do not come on here and preach that any inner city kid can attend Iggy for a few thousand dollars. Very select few are accepted of even wanted at that school for fear it will chase away the core group of students that Ignatius likes to attract. That same feeling of being elite is even more prevalent at Gilmour. Inner city kids know where they are welcome and wanted, and where they are not.
Old 05-23-16, 11:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I said nothing wrong in my post that would make you jump in and talk Ignatius. Just say the truth. Ignatius is available to select few athletes or scholars from the inner city. Do not come on here and preach that any inner city kid can attend Iggy for a few thousand dollars. Very select few are accepted of even wanted at that school for fear it will chase away the core group of students that Ignatius likes to attract. That same feeling of being elite is even more prevalent at Gilmour. Inner city kids know where they are welcome and wanted, and where they are not.
You have proven over time that you know nothing about the school. You continue today.

Tell me a private school that has more kids attending from within the City of Cleveland than Ignatius. My guess is there is only one...Central Catholic.
Old 05-23-16, 11:37 AM
All World

What is the % based on your enrollment ? I'm guessing very low. I know VASJ has a large % from Cleveland or East Cleveland. I love how you always come on here speaking of how diversified and great Ignatius is when that is in fact not the truth at all. I don't have to sit here and spell it out to you because you have that Iggy education and can figure it out. There is a big reason why inner city black kids do not like or have any aspirations to attend Ignatius - and it has nothing to do with how tough the curriculum is. If you say that is not a true statement, you have not talked to the right people.
Old 05-23-16, 11:49 AM
All World

Anyway getting back on topic Sean will bring a lot more attention to the school and it will be very positive having him associated in any way with the basketball program. Very impressive hire by Gilmour.
Old 05-25-16, 09:47 AM
Freshman

AJBEAR is on a distinguished road
The point here is Sean has moved on. He is now the AD at a co-ed school grades 1-12 with numerous sports programs. The school also has boarding students some from different countries. In terms of physical plant, he is now managing a double ice rink, natatorium, in addition to several gyms, indoor and outdoor courts and fields. Basketball is one piece of the puzzle. Focusing only on basketball with numerous programs in a population where the tuition hovers around 30k a year would not serve him well. He will be dealing with a very different situation than he has at Ignatius or anything related to basketball. I wish him the best.
Old 05-25-16, 09:59 AM
All World

Absolutely. I was just mentioning basketball because this is a basketball forum and his expertise is in basketball. He will be a great AD and will serve all the sports well.
Old 05-25-16, 01:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBEAR View Post
The point here is Sean has moved on. He is now the AD at a co-ed school grades 1-12 with numerous sports programs. The school also has boarding students some from different countries. In terms of physical plant, he is now managing a double ice rink, natatorium, in addition to several gyms, indoor and outdoor courts and fields. Basketball is one piece of the puzzle. Focusing only on basketball with numerous programs in a population where the tuition hovers around 30k a year would not serve him well. He will be dealing with a very different situation than he has at Ignatius or anything related to basketball. I wish him the best.
Depends on what Sean is being asked to do. It is sometimes the case that an AD is a figurehead or has that title and compensation but is actually doing some other job (e.g., Massillon football coach is also historically the AD). Maybe Sean will be a traditional AD; maybe the school has something else in mind for him and the AD's staff will do the other work described above.
Old 05-30-16, 03:05 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Have no informed idea what the admin at GA wants O'Toole to do. However, there's a lot of stuff at Gilmour.
*Middle school and high school sports programs (high school is big in terms of # of sports, MS not so much)
*Facilties (ice arena with two rinks, natatorium, indoor athletic fieldhouse, gymnasium, baseball field, fast pitch field, football statdium/track most notably)

There's a pretty strong assistant AD (who is also the JH AD) that does a number of administrative tasks within the high school programs. Not sure the exact delineation though.

The female sports at Gilmour are presently stronger than the male sports. The boarding students in question most impact the hockey in terms of the scholastic sports program.

At present, Gilmour is more competing for students with Hawken and US/HB/Laurel (somewhat St. Ignatius and Beaumont too) than they are with the other diocesean schools. At least that would be my read on things based on the type/location of students enrolling and the cost of enrollment.
Old 05-31-16, 06:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
At present, Gilmour is more competing for students with Hawken and US/HB/Laurel (somewhat St. Ignatius and Beaumont too) than they are with the other diocesean schools. At least that would be my read on things based on the type/location of students enrolling and the cost of enrollment.
Disagree. While Gilmour's sticker price is similar to Hawken, HB, etc., I think they compete more for traditional Catholic students, attempting to sell a more user friendly, small class size, higher cost education to people who are considering, primarily, Ignatius, Beaumont, Walsh and Benedictine. I think many in the wealthy crowd who are considering a "prep" school do not see Gilmour as the academic equivalent of HB, Hawken, US, Laurel and WRA.

Last edited by CatAlum; 05-31-16 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-05-16, 02:06 PM
Freshman

Arc74 is on a distinguished road
Question?

Is O'Toole a good fit for Gilmour-given his history?
Old 06-13-16, 05:52 PM
Freshman

TheBigLebowski1974 is on a distinguished road
What history? O'Toole is highly respected in neo basketball community and did well at Iggy after they forced him out.
Old 06-14-16, 06:40 AM
All World

History ? He is one of the finest high school basketball coaches in Ohio. His work with the kids that have gone through his Big 33 camps is amazing. He had a situation at Euclid that got a bit out of hand, but it happened because he was trying to help one of his players. He will succeed no matter where he ends up and will without a doubt help Gilmour. You will have to go pretty far to find a more respected coach in NE Ohio.