Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Softball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-15-18, 11:35 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Teams not reporting scores to the Akron Beacon Journal

Just looked at the Beacon Journal in Akron and they had 4 teams report scores from their area yesterday:

Copley, North Canton Hoover, Norton, Streetsboro.

Why is there so little effort being put in by the coaches in the Akron area to get their scores out there? Or is it the ABJ isn't getting them out there?

Is it the same around the rest of the state?

I know that some schools post their score on Twitter but even that is hit & miss. There needs to be more coverage of the sport. What changes can be made to make things better?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-18, 11:46 AM
All American

Heavy Hitter 1 is on a distinguished road
Not sure about the others but North Canton reports scores to the Canton Repository
Old 04-15-18, 01:07 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Hitter 1 View Post
Not sure about the others but North Canton reports scores to the Canton Repository
North Canton is one of the good ones. They apparently are reporting their scores to two newspapers.

I know it may not be as big of a deal anymore but these are still important.
Old 04-15-18, 01:23 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't know about either of those towns, but here in Marion the Marion Star doesn't even have an office. Everything is done by phone or internet. Month or so ago when the weather was so bad, there was a major accident 5 miles out of town. No reporting on it at all. Sports news is completely hit and miss
Old 04-15-18, 03:14 PM
Varsity

gcfqn is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Fortunately, most of the Central Ohio schools report their scores to the Columbus Dispatch unless they are on Spring trips. Believe it or not most kids (players) aren't even aware that their results are printed. Such is today's world.

This is where social media is killing interest in high school sports. Some schools report to a newspaper, a few to Score Stream, a few to Max Preps, some to facebook, some to twitter, some to their website, and some not at all. For a high school sports fan it is hard to follow you favorite teams as you never know where to look and most times I don't find out anything!

I vacationed in the San Digeo area last fall and I could find nearly all the area school's schedules and results on Max Preps. I was able to check playoff scores after I returned home.

Last edited by gcfqn; 04-15-18 at 03:33 PM..
Old 04-15-18, 03:27 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Just looked at the Beacon Journal in Akron and they had 4 teams report scores from their area yesterday:

Why is there so little effort being put in by the coaches in the Akron area to get their scores out there? Or is it the ABJ isn't getting them out there?

I know that some schools post their score on Twitter but even that is hit & miss. There needs to be more coverage of the sport. What changes can be made to make things better?
I would like the OHSAA take some action and ask schools to call their coverage area newspaper and post to Score Stream. I say Score Stream only because OHSAA carried their postings during the basketball tournments.

The present reporting of scores is worse than it was 50 years ago!

A side note - I was at my team's girls basketball game at another school. The home team had a kid as the official scorer. After the game our coach asked if he was going to call the game in and he seemed perplexed (feeling this was odd!). Someone at the table said, " I think the AD does that". When it appeared in the paper there were numerous errors in the individual scoring. One girl who came up from JV made 3 three pointers and she wasn't listed in the paper as having played.
Old 04-15-18, 06:03 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcfqn View Post
I would like the OHSAA take some action and ask schools to call their coverage area newspaper and post to Score Stream. I say Score Stream only because OHSAA carried their postings during the basketball tournments.

The present reporting of scores is worse than it was 50 years ago!

A side note - I was at my team's girls basketball game at another school. The home team had a kid as the official scorer. After the game our coach asked if he was going to call the game in and he seemed perplexed (feeling this was odd!). Someone at the table said, " I think the AD does that". When it appeared in the paper there were numerous errors in the individual scoring. One girl who came up from JV made 3 three pointers and she wasn't listed in the paper as having played.
Couldn't agree more with what you said, especially about the part that things are worse today than 50 years ago. In the past, there was one central location to get all the scores from your area. Now you have to be very internet savvy to find the scores for team's right next door. Getting boxscores is nearly impossible.

Personally, I think this goes hand-in-hand with the decrease in interest in high school sports. I remember opening the ABJ and seeing all the scores from our area of baseball, softball, track, tennis, and any other Spring sport that was being played in the local schools. It was a big deal to see your name in the paper.

Nowadays, interest is much thinner but spread alot wider. Not sure there will ever be a solution.
Old 04-15-18, 08:31 PM
Varsity

I saw quite a few Springfield News Sun in the past few weeks and they do a decent job with results and line scores for the Clark and Champaign County area.There website seems to be lacking in daily updates.
Old 04-16-18, 07:48 PM
All Region

FossyWriter8 is on a distinguished road
As a sports reporter, I come at this from a slightly different angle.
Coaches are supposed to send in their box scores to us, but how well or even how often that is done varies from person to person. I've had coaches whose teams were horrible send in after every contest, and other coaches with winning programs only do so after a win. Some never do.
Sites like Gamechanger and Maxpreps are great for some things, but they only help if a team uploads the information.
Unless a reporter is at the event— and we can never be, and will never be, at all of them — it is the coach's responsibility to get us the information.
Old 04-16-18, 08:05 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossyWriter8 View Post
As a sports reporter, I come at this from a slightly different angle.
Coaches are supposed to send in their box scores to us, but how well or even how often that is done varies from person to person. I've had coaches whose teams were horrible send in after every contest, and other coaches with winning programs only do so after a win. Some never do.
Sites like Gamechanger and Maxpreps are great for some things, but they only help if a team uploads the information.
Unless a reporter is at the event— and we can never be, and will never be, at all of them — it is the coach's responsibility to get us the information.
Fossy you are correct. Many years ago I was a sports reporter and similar things happened but to a lesser extent.

Basically, the coaches don't deem this information important.
Old 04-16-18, 08:11 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
I just read a report about a few games in the local paper that I knew was scraped off the Twitter account. The details in the article were strictly from those posts.

While I realize that is where he got it, 99% of the people that read it will have no idea that the reporter wasn't at the game. He did a great job and those kids get their name in the paper. It really shouldn't be that hard to get this info into the reporters hands.
Old 04-17-18, 09:06 PM
All Region

Quote:
I just read a report about a few games in the local paper that I knew was scraped off the Twitter account. The details in the article were strictly from those posts.

While I realize that is where he got it, 99% of the people that read it will have no idea that the reporter wasn't at the game. He did a great job and those kids get their name in the paper. It really shouldn't be that hard to get this info into the reporters hands.
I've had to use Twitter for some things during football season, but only from official accounts from schools, teams or other reporters.
While parent and fan accounts MAY have factual info, you can't always trust them. Even some of the school and team accounts are iffy. One in our area uses first names and nicknames for players, and many other than ones run by reporters won't even use the names of players from the opposing team.
Old 04-18-18, 10:38 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Newspapers are too understaffed to go out and get results anymore. They only print what you give them, and the deadline is fairly early during the week. I have done stats for football and basketball, and the local paper doesn't have anyone available to take scores via phone. The scores and stats must either be faxed or e-mailed (either as Excel, Word, or GoogleDoc).

Not all the blame is on the newspapers though. As mentioned by other posters, many coaches don't report things to the local media. I've looked at past microfilms, and until the past 3 or 4 years, I could find most of my school's results in the newspapers. Outside of the major sports, the trail turns very cold after that. That's on the coaches and also on the ADs for not requiring their coaches to report results to the local media.
Old 04-19-18, 11:03 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Newspapers are too understaffed to go out and get results anymore. They only print what you give them, and the deadline is fairly early during the week. I have done stats for football and basketball, and the local paper doesn't have anyone available to take scores via phone. The scores and stats must either be faxed or e-mailed (either as Excel, Word, or GoogleDoc).

Not all the blame is on the newspapers though. As mentioned by other posters, many coaches don't report things to the local media. I've looked at past microfilms, and until the past 3 or 4 years, I could find most of my school's results in the newspapers. Outside of the major sports, the trail turns very cold after that. That's on the coaches and also on the ADs for not requiring their coaches to report results to the local media.
Staffing and time are big issues, which is why we, as writers, love email and faxes.
An area school was in a track triangular tonight. The girls and boys coaches each called in their results because they were unable to email or fax tonight.
I was probably on the phone for about 30 minutes total between the two calls and I only took the team scores and area placers (first through third for individual events, first or second for relays).
Baseball and softball call-ins go faster than that, but they can still take up time you could otherwise be using to write about the games.
What I really hate is when a spring coach calls or sends in results late, say, around 9:30 or 10 p.m. — well after dark and well after the game or meet is over. None of our area baseball or softball teams have lights, and unless a track team is at a big invitational during the week, the weekday meets get done pretty quickly.
Old 04-22-18, 02:59 AM
All Region

Salesman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Staffing and time are big issues, which is why we, as writers, love email and faxes.
An area school was in a track triangular tonight. The girls and boys coaches each called in their results because they were unable to email or fax tonight.
I was probably on the phone for about 30 minutes total between the two calls and I only took the team scores and area placers (first through third for individual events, first or second for relays).
Baseball and softball call-ins go faster than that, but they can still take up time you could otherwise be using to write about the games.
What I really hate is when a spring coach calls or sends in results late, say, around 9:30 or 10 p.m. — well after dark and well after the game or meet is over. None of our area baseball or softball teams have lights, and unless a track team is at a big invitational during the week, the weekday meets get done pretty quickly.
And you are assuming that as soon as a game/meet ends, the coach just goes home to a warm meal, and then puts his feet up for an episode of Jeopardy. Not so. Many times you have issues with a student athlete to deal with after a game. That kid is not going to sit around until results are called in so he/she can talk to the coach. And then there are parents. "Hang on Mr. Smith, I must call the game report into 3 newspapers before I can address why Johnny didn't play tonight." That would go over real well. I understand the importance of getting the scores into the paper, but I live in the Fostoria/Findlay area and there are days the previous night's results are ALL phoned in by coaches. No reporter's stories, no photos, nothing but a group report of events. Why not send the reporters on staff to a different location each night to do their damn job?
Old 04-22-18, 06:24 AM
All Region

mikedyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salesman View Post
Why not send the reporters on staff to a different location each night to do their damn job?
Yeah "fossywriter."

Can't you just have around 20 people working full time for you so you can make this happen?

I don't think you understand how important it is for us to read the breakdown of a game we just watched yesterday.

What's your problem? 0_o
Old 04-22-18, 07:17 PM
All Ohio

HSFB Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Southwest Ohio has a good system. Most schools have official score keepers and scores/stats are reconciled prior to public posting. Other parts of the state struggle with league / school websites let alone decent stats.

http://gmcsports.com/
http://gwocsports.com
http://swocsports.com
http://eccsports.com/

https://preps.cincinnati.com/
Old 04-24-18, 09:42 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salesman View Post
And you are assuming that as soon as a game/meet ends, the coach just goes home to a warm meal, and then puts his feet up for an episode of Jeopardy. Not so. Many times you have issues with a student athlete to deal with after a game. That kid is not going to sit around until results are called in so he/she can talk to the coach. And then there are parents. "Hang on Mr. Smith, I must call the game report into 3 newspapers before I can address why Johnny didn't play tonight." That would go over real well. I understand the importance of getting the scores into the paper, but I live in the Fostoria/Findlay area and there are days the previous night's results are ALL phoned in by coaches. No reporter's stories, no photos, nothing but a group report of events. Why not send the reporters on staff to a different location each night to do their damn job?
Not saying coaches don't have things to deal with, just saying reporting their game/meet result is supposed to be one of them and should be done in a timely manner.
Coaches in other sports get it done, so spring coaches don't get a pass. If you as a head coach don't think you have the time to do it, have an assistant take care of it.
Many teams now use programs like GameChanger to record and report stats. If you don't, tally up the book, take a clear and in-focus pic and email it in. At the very least, tally up the book and call it in. It's not difficult, it's your job.