Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-01-17, 05:54 PM
Freshman

runningrocks is on a distinguished road
Spire Showcase

Who we all got wining at spire for boys and girls distance events?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-17, 01:06 AM
All Ohio

LoveCrossCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningrocks View Post
Who we all got wining at spire for boys and girls distance events?
I will guess the 3200 races only.

Boys 3200 is looking strong already with the first 9, but Hunter Moore has the best chance to win that race right now. A few in that race who can run with him though, so his win is not assured.

Girls 3200 winner will be India Johnson if she runs it and doesn't run the 1600 which she is also entered in. She could still win the 3200 even if she doubles, but it will be harder.
Old 02-02-17, 01:22 PM
All Region

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Anyone here taking kids to Spire?
Old 02-02-17, 02:44 PM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Is there an entry list anywhere?

TWHS's Andy Payne ran a hair under 9:30 at an open meet in Akron toward the end of January. That's strong. Is he running?

Distance events aside, it seems that there have been a lot of strong 400s put in this winter by boys and girls. Pick Central's Zach Robinson is under 50. There's a Mentor girl, whose name I can't recall, that is somewhere around 56 I believe.

Does anyone know how Abby Steiner's ACL rehab is going? She ran strong at Spire last year. Hopefully she's coming along and will put in some strong performances this upcoming spring.
Old 02-02-17, 10:12 PM
All Ohio

LoveCrossCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post

TWHS's Andy Payne ran a hair under 9:30 at an open meet in Akron toward the end of January. That's strong. Is he running?

Distance events aside, it seems that there have been a lot of strong 400s put in this winter by boys and girls. Pick Central's Zach Robinson is under 50. There's a Mentor girl, whose name I can't recall, that is somewhere around 56 I believe.

Does anyone know how Abby Steiner's ACL rehab is going? She ran strong at Spire last year. Hopefully she's coming along and will put in some strong performances this upcoming spring.
Andy Payne is running the 3200 at SPIRE.
Old 02-03-17, 07:27 AM
All American

Quote:
I found initial acceptance lists:

Girls
Boys
Old 02-03-17, 02:47 PM
Junior Varsity

trevo45 is on a distinguished road
Abby Steiner is listed in both the 60 and the 200, it'll be exciting to see how she can run coming off an injury like that.
Old 02-06-17, 12:56 PM
All American

Updated acceptance list for Spire.

There is no word that Chad Johnson of Colonel Crawford is going to run the 3200. Over the weekend he went 9:15 on the Spire track.
Old 02-07-17, 12:28 PM
Junior Varsity

The boys 3200 looks like it'll be a good race with lots of the best runners from Ohio. Interesting that India Johnson is in the 800 and 1600, she just had her last cross country race a month ago.
Old 02-08-17, 08:42 AM
All American

Final acceptance list for Spire

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevo45 View Post
Interesting that India Johnson is in the 800 and 1600, she just had her last cross country race a month ago.
You seem surprised. Are you surprised that she is doubling, that she is competing close to her last high quality competition, or that she is running the 800 & 1600 as opposed to the 3200?

Unless she has run another meet since, I'm fairly certain that India's last XC meet was the Footlocker finals (she was 4th in 17:45) on December 10 - 2 months ago.

I'm not surprised that India is running the 800 & 1600 and not the 3200. As I am sure you know, many runners use the indoor season to hone an area that the coach believes that they need some training. A distance runner may run shorter distances for speed work or a 400/800 type of runner may move up to work on endurance and sustaining speed over a longer distance. Matt Bull of Mentor normally runs the 1600 and 3200 but this past weekend he ran the 800 & 4x8. When Clayton Murphy ran an indoor 3000 a few weeks ago his coach probably had something specific in mind from a training standpoint. India's coach is probably considering her VO2 max.

I think it all depends on the training philosophy of the coach and if they have some specific objective in mind while considering the physiological needs of the athlete.
Old 02-08-17, 09:15 AM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Not that your point was wrong, but some of your facts are...

Matt Bull rarely ran either the 1600 or 3200 last year in Invitationals. He ran the 800 most of the season and through the state tournament (dist, reg, state).
Old 02-08-17, 09:23 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Not that your point was wrong, but some of your facts are...

Matt Bull rarely ran either the 1600 or 3200 last year in Invitationals. He ran the 800 most of the season and through the state tournament (dist, reg, state).
You're right. My bad. I was thinking of someone else.

My point, though, is that sometimes a 1600/3200 runner will run shorter distances indoor (800, relays, 600 if available) with specific training objectives in mind. Using Matt as an example was a mistake.
Old 02-08-17, 10:18 AM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Final acceptance list for Spire

You seem surprised. Are you surprised that she is doubling, that she is competing close to her last high quality competition, or that she is running the 800 & 1600 as opposed to the 3200?

Unless she has run another meet since, I'm fairly certain that India's last XC meet was the Footlocker finals (she was 4th in 17:45) on December 10 - 2 months ago.

I'm not surprised that India is running the 800 & 1600 and not the 3200. As I am sure you know, many runners use the indoor season to hone an area that the coach believes that they need some training. A distance runner may run shorter distances for speed work or a 400/800 type of runner may move up to work on endurance and sustaining speed over a longer distance. Matt Bull of Mentor normally runs the 1600 and 3200 but this past weekend he ran the 800 & 4x8. When Clayton Murphy ran an indoor 3000 a few weeks ago his coach probably had something specific in mind from a training standpoint. India's coach is probably considering her VO2 max.

I think it all depends on the training philosophy of the coach and if they have some specific objective in mind while considering the physiological needs of the athlete.
I think he is referring to this race she ran on Jan 7th:
India Johnson of Hilliard Davidson High School represented herself admirably today at the prestigious Great Edinburgh XCountry meet in Edinburgh, Scotland. Johnson finished 18th overall in the Junior Womens (U17) 4km event with a stellar time of 15:01 on a very challenging course.

So her US CC season went from 8/20/16 - 12/10/16. Then a CC race in Scotland on 1/7/17, 1600 on 1/21/17, 3200 on 1/27/17, 800 om 2/4/17 and then will now run 800 and 1600. I am sure he track season will then go until middle of June

That is a 5 month CC season then 4 weeks off from racing and then running another CC race which is immediately followed by full indoor and out door track season that will last 5 months. I don't think many professionals or college coaches would do this kind of racing schedule let alone a 17/18 year old.

As you said it just comes down to a persons training/racing philosophy. We know there are many ways to train/race and so far what she is doing is working for her so don't want to question it but I am just hoping she doesn't get hurt as she is a great talent.
Old 02-08-17, 11:10 AM
All Ohio

For the truly elite athlete, however, March, April, and part of May are essentially training periods. They may have one or two "races" but the rest are often just part of the training program. These kids can often run 3200 as a tempo and still crush the field. With a bit of forethought, an elite athlete can enjoy being around their teammates and get in a decent workout by what they do in addition to a race or two without the stress (emotional, mental, & physical) that we normally associate with racing.

If the coach and athlete decided to chase incredible times every weekend, that would be a different story, but most elite athletes are within programs that wouldn't make that kind of choice.
Old 02-08-17, 01:53 PM
Junior Varsity

Yes I was referring to the race in Scotland that she ran at, and Hilliard Davidson has a great program so I'm sure the coach knows what he is doing. It is uncommon to race so much, but racing is fun and that's really what it's about. I don't know what her training is like so maybe this fits in well.
Old 02-08-17, 02:26 PM
Freshman

Wildcats05 is on a distinguished road
India's racing....
With the exception of Trinity, Centerville, Eisenhart, NXR, FL Regional, NXN, and FL National, India's cross country season was run in a strategic manner or in the context of a workout designed to prepare her for the goals she set for herself; i.e. working on the combination of strength and speed required for Nike/FL. Early season racing was mostly a function of contributing to the team and getting a high level aerobic workout. She did a remarkable job staying mentally focused on the team elements of the season while physically working toward her individual late-season goals. The opportunity to compete for team USA was not on her radar, nor part of her season plan, until after FL Nationals. As such, she took her planned week off after FL and began training late Dec / early Jan with a base-building phase just as she would have without the USA trip. The team USA experience was entirely “for the experience”, due to the fact it was her second week of base building and likewise had no specific competitive goals (unlike NXN/FL). So while the Great Edinburgh race was “cross country”, I would hardly consider it part of “cross country season”. Additionally, despite having "raced" from September to December, training of course was designed in such a way to allow her to hopefully compete for that long at a high and focused level.

As for track, India is a multifaceted runner and will be working on a variety of racing situations. Part of her indoor season has also been to help her team attempt to make a return trip to NYC for the New Balance indoor 4 x Mile race in March. India is a tremendous team player, and is following in the footsteps of others in the program that have put the team before self. Also, Indoor is a great tool to grow as racers. When kids free themselves of labels (i.e. “2-miler”), new levels and areas of success become available. Being open to new experiences and embracing the next level of productive discomfort has been the flavor of India’s progression since she was a modestly talented freshman (19:30’s / 5:30’s / 12:03 PR’s if I recall). Health and long-term gradual development is always at the heart of what she and her teammates do, as I’m sure is the case with any program.

Last edited by Wildcats05; 02-08-17 at 02:53 PM..
Old 02-08-17, 03:12 PM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats05 View Post
India's racing....
With the exception of Trinity, Centerville, Eisenhart, NXR, FL Regional, NXN, and FL National, India's cross country season was run in a strategic manner or in the context of a workout designed to prepare her for the goals she set for herself; i.e. working on the combination of strength and speed required for Nike/FL. Early season racing was mostly a function of contributing to the team and getting a high level aerobic workout. She did a remarkable job staying mentally focused on the team elements of the season while physically working toward her individual late-season goals. The opportunity to compete for team USA was not on her radar, nor part of her season plan, until after FL Nationals. As such, she took her planned week off after FL and began training late Dec / early Jan with a base-building phase just as she would have without the USA trip. The team USA experience was entirely “for the experience”, due to the fact it was her second week of base building and likewise had no specific competitive goals (unlike NXN/FL). So while the Great Edinburgh race was “cross country”, I would hardly consider it part of “cross country season”. Additionally, despite having "raced" from September to December, training of course was designed in such a way to allow her to hopefully compete for that long at a high and focused level.

As for track, India is a multifaceted runner and will be working on a variety of racing situations. Part of her indoor season has also been to help her team attempt to make a return trip to NYC for the New Balance indoor 4 x Mile race in March. India is a tremendous team player, and is following in the footsteps of others in the program that have put the team before self. Also, Indoor is a great tool to grow as racers. When kids free themselves of labels (i.e. “2-miler”), new levels and areas of success become available. Being open to new experiences and embracing the next level of productive discomfort has been the flavor of India’s progression since she was a modestly talented freshman (19:30’s / 5:30’s / 12:03 PR’s if I recall). Health and long-term gradual development is always at the heart of what she and her teammates do, as I’m sure is the case with any program.
Welcome! Sounds like there is a well calculated plan behind it all. Well done. Good luck to her.
Old 02-10-17, 07:49 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevo45 View Post
Abby Steiner is listed in both the 60 and the 200, it'll be exciting to see how she can run coming off an injury like that.
She ran at Ohio Sate last week but in relays.... She looked VERY fast and explosive! I don't think the 60 will be a problem, the 200 might just come down to conditioning
Old 02-10-17, 12:43 PM
All American

Thank for the coaching perspective, Wildcats05. I have a great deal of respect for XC and track coaches that are able to come up with plans and implement them in order to get maximum performance from their athletes. It's a special talent to do that effectively with all that needs to be considered. Good luck to India. She will be interesting to watch this upcoming spring and in the future at MSU.

The pictures from the Edinburgh meet were cool. The courses in Europe seem very difficult - no manicured grass, difficult stream crossings, etc. The guys and gals from the States ran very well vs competition that see those conditions on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCTigerTrackCoach View Post
She ran at Ohio Sate last week but in relays.... She looked VERY fast and explosive! I don't think the 60 will be a problem, the 200 might just come down to conditioning
Great to hear that Abby is coming along. Her 200 will get there as she competes more. She's really a special talent. Watching her blow competition away in the homestretch of a 200 is something else.

Last edited by Rohbino; 02-11-17 at 12:41 PM..
Old 02-12-17, 08:11 PM
All Ohio

It's amazing what can happen when you get a bunch of talented athletes together.

This meet gets better every year. The distance events alone were outstanding. The throws may have been better.

800 (G) - 17 were sub 2:20 this year. By comparison 13 were sub 2:20 last year at the Showcase and 8 were sub 2:20s at last year's OATCCC meet (combined D1/D2/D3). Note that 4 of the top 5 were sophomores, two of whom were from Gahanna Lincoln. Hopefully, they can put together a respectable 4x8

800 (B) - 22 were sub 2:00 this year, including a 1:50.07! By comparison 16 were sub 2:00 last year at the Showcase and 15 were sub 2:00 at last year's OATCCC meet (combined D1/D2/D3).

1600 (G) - 13 were sub 5:10 this year. By comparison 10 were sub 5:10 last year at the Showcase and 8 were sub 5:10 at last year's OATCCC meet (combined D1/D2/D3).

1600 (B) - 6 were sub 4:20 this year. By comparison 5 were sub 4:20 last year at the Showcase. This is one event where the OATCCC meet was better last year - 9 were sub 4:20 (combined D1/D2/D3).

3200 (G) - 9 were sub 11:20, including a 6th grader! By comparison last year only 1 was sub 11:20 at the Showcase and 11 were sub 11:20 at the OATCCC meet (combined D1/D2/D3).

The purpose of the Showcase and of the OATCCC meet are not the same. There is a role for each type of meet, but I do like seeing the best of the best compete without regard to how many students are in their school. Can you imagine the Olympics segregated by the size of the countries?
Old 02-13-17, 09:10 AM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
A big reason for the depth this year is that it seems they accepted more entries and added heats for most events. I was there. There were many great performances but for me the near 74 foot shot put mark was special.
Old 02-13-17, 01:34 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton's Third View Post
A big reason for the depth this year is that it seems they accepted more entries and added heats for most events. I was there. There were many great performances but for me the near 74 foot shot put mark was special.
I watched that throw, and the monster heave in the boys weight throw. Both were pretty amazing.
Old 02-16-17, 03:17 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
It's amazing what can happen when you get a bunch of talented athletes together.

This meet gets better every year. The distance events alone were outstanding. The throws may have been better.

800 (G) - 17 were sub 2:20 this year. By comparison 13 were sub 2:20 last year at the Showcase and 8 were sub 2:20s at last year's OATCCC meet (combined D1/D2/D3). Note that 4 of the top 5 were sophomores, two of whom were from Gahanna Lincoln. Hopefully, they can put together a respectable 4x8
No one in Ohio is beating Gahanna Lincoln... They will make a run at the
4X800 Outdoor State record
Old 02-16-17, 04:37 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCTigerTrackCoach View Post
No one in Ohio is beating Gahanna Lincoln... They will make a run at the
4X800 Outdoor State record
They look really tough. Their 4x800 and your 4x200 both look pretty amazing right now.
Old 02-16-17, 09:10 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
They look really tough. Their 4x800 and your 4x200 both look pretty amazing right now.
Thank You Mathking.... We're hoping to get close to that State record this season as well
Old 02-16-17, 09:12 PM
All American

I wouldn't bet against you.
Old 02-17-17, 07:35 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
I wouldn't bet against you.
I know it's early, but there are 3 relays so far I wouldn't bet against... Gahanna Girls 4x8 PC Girls 4x2 and PC Boys 4x4.... I'll be honest and say the Spire showcase was so good, I actually watched all of the distance races, and that was a first for me... I love watching Ohio Kids perform against top competition no matter the school. Ohio looked great against some amazing talent last week.. Looks like it's going to be a great year!