Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.22 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-17, 07:12 AM
All Ohio

Bevo is on a distinguished road
The troops are supplying great answers! The Wayward Boys and Diva (and Mrs. Mon.) are knocking them out of the park.

I have been up for quite awhile as mom has her first day of school today. She's been wound tight and wired even tighter for three weeks. Left here at 6:00 a.m. - after being up since 4:30! Same building, moving from 4th. grade to 6th. grade math. Shoot me now!

JB - Will round back to J. Frank and The Cavaliers.

47. I wonder what else Jim Croce would have done? He seemed very authentic, when not many were. Love this song. Glad you grabbed the whole title. I'd enjoyed the part about the dime(s) on the headstone.

48. We have discussed this short-lived trio in a recent year or so as they played around Worthington - of all places - last year. Thought there was something about the deliberate misspell of their name - like Beatles. Maybe a connection to George Martin as a producer?

51. The vastly under rated, Johnny Rivers. This great ballad/story song is always welcomed when you hear it start out. Sounds like the end of summer to me.
I just replayed it and realized that right before the instrument crescendo at the beginning, there is a slight sound of thunder. Check it out.

I also believe my quiz clue quote was incorrect as I should have said, "All summer long we spent grovin' in the sand and the jukebox kept on playing, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band". I believe that line is so perfect as it seems to say that when we are young, it always seemed as though summer would and did last forever.

Diva - where do you two perform? The two of you are called "Charade"? You have mentioned some of the songs you do over the years and it is a fairly impressive list. didn't you say you do a lot of "Heart"?

39. John Daily from "What's My Line" is throwing all of the cards over on your Linda Ronstadt answer for "Hurt so Bad". I was actually thinking of the early 60's version by Little Anthony and The Imperials". This answer is fine and full credit has been given.

49. There just might be a Hermits' question on every quiz, henceforth. It's a cute little song and the beginning is great. They were big and I have mentioned that I saw them at the Ohio State Fair in '65 with my four-year older lifeguard love. I was a lad of 13 soon to enter USHS as a frosh. Of course, her brother was there and one of her friends. (For 52 years I have thought of us being together as a date.)

Mon. - 42. A soaring, plaintive song of fear and hope. Glen's voice and the music are just beautiful on this - and so many other of his tunes.

29. "Last Kiss" - great title, right? I was not aware of this tragedy, let alone the Lima connection. You would have been a young adolescent (redundant?) at that time. Do you remember The Candy Cane Club or this event occurring? Candy Cane Club and The Peppermint Lounge sound a lot alike. Wonder if that was an industry thing?

What I read spoke of a manager named Roush being killed. He was from Texas. No irony mentioned or reveled to me. Something with Buddy Holly? From Lubbock?

Sounded like J. Frank had a short and crappy life. But, what a classic hit. I read they did 64 takes before Roush said, "That's it".

Last edited by Bevo; 08-17-17 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-17-17, 07:44 AM
All Ohio

Bevo is on a distinguished road
You all check out my additions to the Johnny Rivers' answer above.

Z - man - I guess I am a sap and a chump when it comes to the break-up songs; or lost love songs, or the love done gone songs!

26. First off, A somewhat feminist manifesto on the lady moving on.

31. As I mentioned for all of you keeping track of my weepiness with some of these chestnuts, I often upon a break up and new relationship find myself liking a song that somehow reminds me of the one who left and the one who arrived.

This is very true of "I'd Really Love to See you Tonight" and "We Just Disagree". With the former being a much lighter, pop song, and the Dave Mason song, representing love lost on a much deeper level.

There are several videos on You Tube of Dave doing this beauty. The one where he is on a talk show and has an accompanist with him is just great.

Of course, he does a blistering version of "All Along The Watchtower", also.

Would love to see him.
Old 08-17-17, 07:50 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Great catch, Zunardo, on #44 -- one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite artists.
How did I overlook it?
If you were like me back then, and practiced singing the harmony parts of the chorus in the car each day while listening to the radio driving to classes at OSU , you'd have have beat me to it for sure.

I was a non-voting member of the OSU Pep Board in 1979 - actually an alternate called on for occasional proxy votes - and I got a nice Dave Mason concert promo poster for his show that fall just for coming to a meeting.

It was the only show I was invited to work for the Pep Board. It would have been cool, I would have had a backstage pass and absolutely no responsibility other than to walk around and look important - but I had some function I was already committed to.
Old 08-17-17, 07:55 AM
All District

Diva is on a distinguished road
Yes, we did 17 Heart songs. "Alone", "Barracuda", and "Dog and Butterfly" were very fun to sing, but the ones that challenged me most were "Break" and "Rockin' Heaven Down" from the Bebe LeStrange album. So fun; I miss that time of my life.

We play a few times a year at our church talent night, which has become a big thing! We also do something at Christmas, usually something by Trans-Siberian Orchestra but we're running out of songs to play we've done so many from them. We got our sons involved in the last talent night via video; it was pretty fun to have them play with us on bass and guitar. We did an Evanescence song, "My Immortal". I don't have the power I used to since I don't sing every day anymore, but it's decent. I'll send a link to anyone who wants to see it via a PM. It's nothing like our glory days in Rock Candy, but you get the gist..
Old 08-17-17, 09:58 AM
Varsity

rdlwolverine is on a distinguished road
30 Teen Angel - Mark Dinning

Hurt So Bad by Little Anthony and the Imperials was the first 45 I ever bought.
Old 08-17-17, 02:11 PM
All Ohio

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
The troops are supplying great answers! The Wayward Boys and Diva (and Mrs. Mon.) are knocking them out of the park.

I have been up for quite awhile as mom has her first day of school today. She's been wound tight and wired even tighter for three weeks. Left here at 6:00 a.m. - after being up since 4:30! Same building, moving from 4th. grade to 6th. grade math. Shoot me now!

JB - Will round back to J. Frank and The Cavaliers.

47. I wonder what else Jim Croce would have done. He seemed very authentic, when not many were. Love this song. Glad you grabbed the whole title. I'd enjoyed the part about the dime(s) on the headstone.

48. We have discussed this short-lived trio in a recent year or so as they played around Worthington - of all places - last year. Thought there was something about the deliberate misspell of their name - like Beatles. Maybe a connection to George Martin as a producer?

51. This great ballad/story song is always welcomed when you hear it start out. Sounds like the end of summer to me.

Diva - where do you two perform? The two of you are called "Charade"? You have mentioned some of the songs you do over the years and it is a fairly impressive list.

39. John Daily from "What's My Line" is throwing all of the cards over on your Linda Ronstadt answer for "Hurt so Bad". I was actually thinking of the early 60's version by Little Anthony and The Imperials". This answer is fine and full credit has been given.

49. There just might be a H.H. on every quiz, henceforth. It's a cute little song and the beginning is great. They were big and I have mentioned that I saw them at the State fair in '65 with my four-year older lifeguard love. Of course, her brother was there and one of her friends. (For 52 years I have thought of us being together as a date.)

Mon. - 42. A soaring, plaintive song of fear and hope. glen's voice and the music are just beautiful on this - and so many other of his tunes.

29. "Last Kiss" - great title, right? I was not aware of this tragedy, let alone the Lima connection. You would have been a young adoloescent (redundant?) at that time. Do you remember The Candy Cane Club or this event occurring? Candy Cane Club and The Peppermint Lounge sound a lot alike. Wonder if that was an industry thing?

What I read spoke of a manager named Roush being killed. He was from Texas. No irony mentioned or reveled to me. Something with Buddy Holly? From Lubbock?

Sounded like J. Frank had a short and crappy life. But, what a classic hit. I read they did 64 takes before Roush said, "That's it".

Bevo,

29. "Last Kiss" was definitely a classic hit for J.Frank Wilson and his Cavaliers and you are also correct in naming Roush, his producer, as the only person killed in the tragic crash on the way to a Lima,Ohio concert back in 1964.

The producer's full name was Sonley Roush. Roush had followed J. Frank and his band for a couple of years and had stumbled onto "Last Kiss" which legendary performer Wayne Cochran & the C.C. Riders had first performed. Cochran had written the song and released it but nothing happened with it.
Sonley Roush thought it was the perfect song for J. Frank Wilson and arranged for J.Frank and the boys to record it

The song was based on a true incident in which a teen-age girl was killed. The recording session was so tense with 4 hours of non stop takes that band member Sid Holmes quit the band as a result. Producer Sonley Roush was apparently obsessed with the story of the teenage girl's death and the irony occurred when Roush who was driving on the way to Lima ended up dying in the accident which was rather cruel irony. Two weeks after his death the song reached its peak on the charts at # 2. J Frank Wilson was never quite the same after the accident. The song was re-released in 1973 but only reached #92 on the charts. Wilson had only been 20 years old when the song reached #2. He was only 49 when he died in 1991.

One thing I believe is incorrect about the story after talking with several people who lived in Lima at the time the accident occurred in 1964, tell me that the night club where J. Frank Wilson & The Cavaliers were scheduled to perform was not called "The Candy Cane Club". It was actually called "The Peppermint Stick". Even though I didn't live in Lima back in the 60's I have many friends here who did, and they are quick to point out the incorrect name of the club. Makes sense to me since the national craze of The Peppermint Lounge and Joey Dee & The Starlighters of the Peppermint Twist fame and the house band at The Peppermint Lounge in NYC were all still popular at this time. Over the years I've read a couple of articles about the trip to the Lima night club "The Candy Cane" that resulted in a tragic car crash, but I take the word of some local rockers of the 60's who are adamant that it was the "Peppermint Stick" instead.

I would be surprised if anyone under the age of 40 is still reading this post, but if you are, were you surprised to learn that "Last Kiss" wasn't first recorded by Pearl Jam back in the late 90's ?

On a side note I mentioned the name of Wayne Cochran and The C.C. Riders who wrote "Last Kiss" and it has me wondering if anyone reading this has ever heard or seen Wayne Cochran. He never had a song break the Top 40 charts, but among veteran blues, soul, and rock n roll artists he is pretty well known. Besides writing "Last Kiss" he is known among Blues Bothers fans for his rendition of the song " Goin' Back To Miami" which is included on The Blues Brothers 2nd album. It's a killer.

Known as "The White Knight of Soul" this guy was a mix of James Brown, Jerry Lee Lewis with a dash of Jimmy Swaggert tossed in. His pompadour hair style looks like the hair stylists of Donald Trump and lead singer of A Flock Of Seagulls had a menage a trois with Little Richard. Check him out on YouTube sometime and at the same time take a look at a video of Roy Head and The Traits the Texas legend who had a number 2 hit back in 1965 called "Treat Her Right". His live performance of "Treat Her Right" is worth a peek.

JB

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: