Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-18-18, 05:44 PM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
Were you at the Barberton - St V game? While there was no question Barberton was the better team that night and deserved to win.....St V did not get hammered by Barberton. It was a 7 point game late in the 3rd quarter - early 4 and a there was huge pass interference call on 4th and 15 that went in Barbertonís favor that was a huge momentum swing.

I think the 16 staters coming back can play. In case you missed it they got great playoff experience and played in the state semi final game.

Glad you are not a college scout. 4 offensive players for St V are getting by recruited by D1 programs right now.
I was at the Barberton game, along with 3 other St V games. Even though it was close in the 3rd, it was obvious St V's offense couldn't muster enough and it was just a matter of time before the dam broke. I'm sure they do have kids getting looks, I'm just saying in the games I saw, only Keyes stood out, and as a whole the offense was enemic. If they can get better oline play, maybe some of these kids can shine. I said earlier that I think they can get back to states because Region 9 is soft, which was the biggest reason for last year's run, and D3 as a whole got weaker.
Old 02-18-18, 05:51 PM
All District

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
I was at the Barberton game, along with 3 other St V games. Even though it was close in the 3rd, it was obvious St V's offense couldn't muster enough and it was just a matter of time before the dam broke. I'm sure they do have kids getting looks, I'm just saying in the games I saw, only Keyes stood out, and as a whole the offense was enemic. If they can get better oline play, maybe some of these kids can shine. I said earlier that I think they can get back to states because Region 9 is soft, which was the biggest reason for last year's run, and D3 as a whole got weaker.
D2 must be pretty soft as well then as St V went on the road in week 9 and beat a D2 state semi final team.
Old 02-18-18, 06:20 PM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
D2 must be pretty soft as well then as St V went on the road in week 9 and beat a D2 state semi final team.
Go back and look at Massillon's region, it was by far the weakest D2 region. They got obliterated by WW for a reason, they weren't in the same class as the best teams in D2.
Old 02-18-18, 08:44 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
3 weeks and 152 posts later and I still have no idea of who in the hell might be the next Irish coach. Another quality thread.
Old 02-18-18, 09:07 PM
Junior Varsity

Football330 is on a distinguished road
My money is on Reardon from McKinley. He has Catholic School experience.
Old 02-18-18, 10:19 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football330 View Post
My money is on Reardon from McKinley. He has Catholic School experience.
Was he the Y'town Ursuline coach?
Old 02-18-18, 10:39 PM
All District

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
Was he the Y'town Ursuline coach?
Yes.....won 3 straight championships there from 2008-2010. Also had Ursuline in the 2007 title game. Has experience at the college level as well.
Old 02-19-18, 07:03 AM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Do private schools make available the list of applicants like public schools do?

If so - has one been made available?
Old 02-19-18, 07:31 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
3 weeks and 152 posts later and I still have no idea of who in the hell might be the next Irish coach. Another quality thread.
The deadline for applications was yesterday, so I suspect the list will be pared down rather quickly. All we are waiting on now is the white smoke!

Old 02-19-18, 08:03 AM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Bobby77;6990538]Rearsdon would be a great hire. He would do wonders with the talent at St V. He is not a stranger to the playoffs either. The Ursuline connection woo
Old 02-19-18, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
And why would Reardon leave McKinley for SVSM? Pay is likely better at McKinley, he gets STRS and plays D1 football in a state of the art facility.
Old 02-19-18, 10:31 AM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
I think Reardon has been their 3 years? Seems unlikely he would Jump ship so soon. I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone from outside the program and maybe the area come in. Great opportunity for someone. Inside the program didn’t pan out long term so maybe outside would
Old 02-19-18, 11:04 AM
All World

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Redwing, The regular season opponents. Barberton was the better team last season lead by coach Gotto and his staff. The Magics were blessed with a once in a generation senior class. The Irish beat WW in 17 and also beat Massillon last season. Hoban will remain the favorite in D2 along with Toledo CC in 18. Many of the D3 Regio 9 playoff teams were senior lead. The region also lost Buchtel & Woodridge to D4. On Paper D2 looks stronger than D3 with the addition of TCC and Tri Valley. Trust me STVM has talent returning and it remains a great coaching opportunity. Five state titles in 6 years between STVM and Hoban and both schools will be Favorites in their respective divisions in 18.
Old 02-19-18, 07:12 PM
All District

bagobones is on a distinguished road
Rotsky can lead them to 2018 title like he did at Chanel.
Old 02-19-18, 07:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagobones View Post
Rotsky can lead them to 2018 title like he did at Chanel.
Parcells can lead them to the Super Bowl like he did for the Giants.
Old 02-19-18, 08:48 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
Do private schools make available the list of applicants like public schools do?

If so - has one been made available?
No and no.

I imagine word will filter out after the selection is made.
Old 02-19-18, 09:21 PM
Junior Varsity

Bucksfan1 is on a distinguished road
I'm going with Eric Ervin. If they hire jeff Dallas or terry cistone half that team will transfer.
Old 02-20-18, 12:49 PM
All American

ok this is what I was told today and I have no reason to deny its validity

There may be applicants that have called into StV about the open position. With it being a private school, and because of the applicants request....their name may be left out of a list as they would not want their current employer to know or to muddy the water where they are. I did not know that this is a common courtesy at many schools - not just private ones.

IMO Ervin is not what St V needs as a head coach at this time.
Old 02-20-18, 02:11 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksfan1 View Post
I'm going with Eric Ervin. If they hire jeff Dallas or terry cistone half that team will transfer.
I agree Ervin would be a solid choice. Competence and continuity! There's a lot to be said about that. I don't know much about Cistone, but I feel that would seen as taking a step back in time. And that may or may not be fair to the man, but perception is often reality in these circumstances. As for Dallas, he seems to be a bit of a lightning rod (at least in the Yappi world). And I don't think the Irish can afford to have a "miss" with this selection. You don't want to see the semi-revolving door at head coach they had in the past.
Old 02-20-18, 04:13 PM
All Yappi

Ervin has at least built something before by turning around the mess that was Woodridge football. Dallas has connections, but has caused too much hair loss by Irish fans in recent years. Boarman apparently doesn't want it. Terry Cistone's time has passed and I don't recall that his Revere experience years ago was that overwhelming.
Old 02-20-18, 05:02 PM
All District

Irish Football is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ervin has at least built something before by turning around the mess that was Woodridge football. Dallas has connections, but has caused too much hair loss by Irish fans in recent years. Boarman apparently doesn't want it. Terry Cistone's time has passed and I don't recall that his Revere experience years ago was that overwhelming.
I would think those connections would have to include the Pope for Dallas to get this job.
Old 02-20-18, 05:20 PM
Junior Varsity

Bucksfan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Football View Post
I would think those connections would have to include the Pope for Dallas to get this job.
I don't even think The Pope could pull this one through.
Old 02-20-18, 09:26 PM
All District

bagobones is on a distinguished road
Rotsky can!!!
Old 02-21-18, 10:47 AM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And why would Reardon leave McKinley for SVSM? Pay is likely better at McKinley, he gets STRS and plays D1 football in a state of the art facility.
I agree with you that McKinley likely pays more than SVSM is willing to pay; however, you never know on what donors/boosters will place value at a private schools. Perhaps a combination of salary and free tuition for his many children would be attractive enough to lure him. While his high school kid(s) are educated at McKinley, his younger kids, I believe, are in private school,. Also, as for STRS, I am not sure how many years credit he has -- remember, he was at Ursuline for a while, Colorado for a while, etc. . . while he can buy-back 5 of those years, he is not as tied to the STRS system as lot of other coaches his age.

At the end of the day, I think he stays at McKinley as it pays him extremely well to, in short, simply coach the football team. Not many other duties.
Old 02-21-18, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
I agree with you that McKinley likely pays more than SVSM is willing to pay; however, you never know on what donors/boosters will place value at a private schools. Perhaps a combination of salary and free tuition for his many children would be attractive enough to lure him. While his high school kid(s) are educated at McKinley, his younger kids, I believe, are in private school,. Also, as for STRS, I am not sure how many years credit he has -- remember, he was at Ursuline for a while, Colorado for a while, etc. . . while he can buy-back 5 of those years, he is not as tied to the STRS system as lot of other coaches his age.

At the end of the day, I think he stays at McKinley as it pays him extremely well to, in short, simply coach the football team. Not many other duties.
Good points Stark.

I think they should try to bring back Wakefield. LOL.
Old 02-21-18, 03:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post

I am not so sure the pay is that different to be honest....and I am pretty sure the HC at McK has classes to teach. and I after a close watch of the McK program over the last 10-20 years I can say - there is nothing simple about the job. But like Tom Hanks said in A League of Their Own "the hard is what makes it great"
Old 02-21-18, 03:46 PM
Varsity

Sean5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
I am not so sure the pay is that different to be honest....and I am pretty sure the HC at McK has classes to teach. and I after a close watch of the McK program over the last 10-20 years I can say - there is nothing simple about the job. But like Tom Hanks said in A League of Their Own "the hard is what makes it great"
You would be surprised. I doubt that he teaches any classes.
Old 02-22-18, 08:56 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean5 View Post
You would be surprised. I doubt that he teaches any classes.
I checked with a retired former colleague of his and he said it is his understanding that he teaches a few classed in the morning during the second semester but, in the fall/first semester, he supervises the weight room and teaches a weightlifting classes or two.
Old 02-22-18, 08:58 AM
All American

Quote:
Good points Stark.

I think they should try to bring back Wakefield. LOL.
Wake at SVSM was a mad experiment gone bad, wasn't it? I was there for his final game when he lost in the playoffs to Central and he lost it on the sideline with a group of parents. I thought I was seeing a sad end to a fine career. I am glad that he got a second act and has put together some nice seasons at Perry.
Old 02-22-18, 01:12 PM
All Region

Youngguy is on a distinguished road
Ervin was removed 2 years ago as OC. Dallas replaced him and did a good job that year. Last year there were some issues on the staff and among players that effected the play calling. Anthony Boarman is not HC material, as witnessed by the QB issues last year. He is also trying to stabilize his baseball program after last year's fiasco. Murphy and Jones? Forget it. Rob Whately? No way. Kelley? Not a chance. In,short, no one on the current staff is desirable by the powers to be. These are not rumors, but from an individual on the search committee. Don't shoot the messenger.