Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-02-18, 01:37 AM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
I want Massillon in. But that Competitive Balance number is gnarly. There's just no way it's gonna fly with the Jackson AD and probably Hoover as well. I don't really blame them to be honest. BUT -- the status quo won't do. The gate would be worth it and the Fed crowds as they are start to get weak come October and cold weather.

It is a little bit of a paradoxical choice for the Fed schools (Jax, Perry, and NCH in particular) -- refuse to play Massillon out of principle, but then nothing will change. The past five years there has been a lot of parity. A lot of missed chances to beat the evil Tigers. And if they had done that, and there was all that excitement in the league, then maybe fewer players would think they needed to go to Massillon to excel athletically. Massillon will probably be pretty solid the next two years though so it may harden the position of some Fed schools against having them join.

I still find it interesting that Jackson has a hard ban against Massillon in any sport for decades and had a hard ban against Central too. That's a little unusual for a high school. Wakefield is a little bit that way too -- what did he say this year? Walsh or somebody is going off the schedule because they are cheaters?
If walsh cheats, then they really suck at it.
Old 02-02-18, 11:10 AM
All Ohio

starkfb
lol Jackson 3, i don't think Wake said that. The final score was 31-0. Something that some people do not realize is you plan for the post season ahead of time. Perry has had excellent scheduling the last few years. GO ,which i respect the program, had a tough off league schedule but playing Iggy was probably not a good idea. Yes, it shows that you play tough teams but a loss is still a loss . As far as money and if you want to decrease ticket sales go ahead and start losing. That will hurt ticket sales more than anything.
Old 02-02-18, 11:14 AM
All American

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkfb View Post
lol Jackson 3, i don't think Wake said that. The final score was 31-0. Something that some people do not realize is you plan for the post season ahead of time. Perry has had excellent scheduling the last few years. GO ,which i respect the program, had a tough off league schedule but playing Iggy was probably not a good idea. Yes, it shows that you play tough teams but a loss is still a loss . As far as money and if you want to decrease ticket sales go ahead and start losing. That will hurt ticket sales more than anything.
If you are looking for a win in the postseason having a non-league schedule of teams that went 12-28 is the way to go I guess.
Old 02-02-18, 03:54 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The past five years there has been a lot of parity. A lot of missed chances to beat the evil Tigers.
The past five years Massillon is 11-2 Vs the fed, losing 1 time to GlenOak and 1 time to McKinley....Jackson, during that same time span is 0-5 against McKinley. I don't really think there were "a lot" of missed chances.
Old 02-02-18, 08:16 PM
All District

fleadog101 is an unknown quantity at this point
The most ligit school that would join is Stow currently there are no interest from any school to join.

The problem with this whole thing is enrollment disparities. As everyone has known that Schools are shrinking in size. Perry has went back down to D 2 they will most likely remain there for a while and level out at 559 by the 2021-22 School year. Lake will slip as well to D 3 and stay there as well that same year to 243.

This will be a never ending battle for the future of the Federal league. Most ADs in the state of Ohio donít want anything to do with the Federal league. A majority of those cite the leadership of the league and itís policies.

I can say honestly that I agree with those ADs as this league has become very resistant to change that is needed to keep update and help itís Schools do better

Status quo one and out is what they are happy with and not a State Championship in Football.
Old 02-02-18, 10:30 PM
Moderated User

I think the fed is just fine the way it is.
Old 02-02-18, 11:36 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the butcher View Post
The past five years Massillon is 11-2 Vs the fed, losing 1 time to GlenOak and 1 time to McKinley....Jackson, during that same time span is 0-5 against McKinley. I don't really think there were "a lot" of missed chances.
I'm not trying to say Massillon would be a mid-tier Fed team. And I wasn't talking about Jackson in particular but they are 9-3 in league play the past two years... seems like as good a time as any to take a shot at the Tigers. The record against McKinley is what it is. They'll get there.

I just don't see a huge gulf between Massillon and the Fed in terms of on-field product. You're free to disagree.
Old 02-02-18, 11:44 PM
All American

I’m still shocked mck is still in this league. The attendance isn’t any better for them in football so they aren’t making anymore money and in the “club” sports they finish last in both boys and girls if they have a team at all. This post isn’t a dig at them at all, they just aren’t a good fit in that league.
Old 02-02-18, 11:57 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Iím still shocked mck is still in this league. The attendance isnít any better for them in football so they arenít making anymore money and in the ďclubĒ sports they finish last in both boys and girls if they have a team at all. This post isnít a dig at them at all, they just arenít a good fit in that league.
It's about the transportation costs/gasoline for the small sports. McK will never leave. That's also the real reason Massillon wants in.
Old 02-03-18, 12:30 AM
All American

Quote:
It's about the transportation costs/gasoline for the small sports. McK will never leave. That's also the real reason Massillon wants in.
I bet mck leaves before Massillon gets in.
Old 02-03-18, 01:00 PM
All Ohio

boiler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I bet mck leaves before Massillon gets in.
Where would like go???
Old 02-03-18, 04:11 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Iím still shocked mck is still in this league. The attendance isnít any better for them in football so they arenít making anymore money and in the ďclubĒ sports they finish last in both boys and girls if they have a team at all. This post isnít a dig at them at all, they just arenít a good fit in that league.
Why aren't they a good fit in the league? I'd say the competition is fine, otherwise they'd be running away with every league title. As far as money they certainly save alot playing local schools. So why do you believe they aren't a good fit?
Old 02-07-18, 10:16 PM
Junior Varsity

MATCAT67 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
LMAO, no sense in even giving much of a response to this idiot.
Believe me, they would have. I think anyone on this site can agree that Keith Wakefield would out-coach, Coach Moore. The Tigers had a nice run this year though.
Old 02-07-18, 10:20 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
I knew you were a Massillon fan even before you wrote this. I wish all well but every time Perry would play them we lose players. When we started winning again some did come back. You seem to now disregard Louisville but you forget that Hoover , Lake and Perry (once again ) is D2. Green is a smaller D1 I believe. As far as money ,as you should know, Perry is doing fine financially .
OK, that's great. Perry is doing fine financially, not saying any school on here isn't, but there is always more money to be made. I'm saying this move would be great for the league and Stark County. Plus, adding two more teams to everyone's schedule would limit the amount of money that is spent when you pay other schools to come in and play you. Perry is Perry. Kids left not because of the program, they left because they couldn't handle being coached by Wake. Anyone that knows him knows that he is going to coach the hell out of you and sometimes parents don't like that style of coaching. And I'm not a Massillon fan, I'd just think it'd be great for the league if they were in it.
Old 02-07-18, 10:23 PM
Junior Varsity

[QUOTE=starkfb;6977634]lol Jackson 3, i don't think Wake said that. The final score was 31-0. Something that some people do not realize is you plan for the post season ahead of time. Perry has had excellent scheduling the last few years.

Perry had not had excellent scheduling the last couple of years. When you're 9-1 heading into playoffs, you should be hosting a playoff game, not traveling to one. Valley Forge, Vandalia Butler? Come on, Perry can do better than this. This is why Massillon and Louisville would be such a great addition. If Perry was 9-1 with both of those teams on the schedule this year, Euclid comes to Perry for round 1.
Old 02-07-18, 11:09 PM
All Ohio

starkfb
Butler had a down year. I would say Perry didn't do too bad . They did lead Iggy at the half. We can agree to disagree. All i know is Wake and company are doing a great job. In his second year he had ~ 40 players. Now it has almost doubled . He knows more about football than we will ever know. I also think it is good to travel for some games. If you make it to the playoffs, sooner or later, you will have to travel.
Old 02-08-18, 12:29 AM
All American

The main problem with Perry's schedule is it almost kept them out of the playoffs. 9-1 and #8 seed is cutting it way too close.

In Perry's case, since there was nowhere to go but up from Walsh/Valley Forge/etc. and they are D2 again, adding Massillon and Louisville to the Fed could be a good move. Jax/McK/GO would be stupid to agree to that, though. More common opponents means fewer chances for L2 points, and having a lot of D2/D3 schools beating up on one another won't cut it in R1. Solon, Euclid, and Mentor all play 8 D1s, GO plays 4, and Jax/McK just 2. Even worse is the fact that the big D1 Cleveland publics have lots of guaranteed wins every year in their league, the D1 Fed schools don't, as we have seen in the Fed over and over again. Adding Mass/Lville would just recreate Perry's old schedule structure problem in the D1 schools -- finish 7-3/8-2 and potentially miss the post-season, which just isn't reasonable when there are only 18 teams in the region.
Old 02-08-18, 01:32 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
Why aren't they a good fit in the league? I'd say the competition is fine, otherwise they'd be running away with every league title. As far as money they certainly save alot playing local schools. So why do you believe they aren't a good fit?
My post answered that question.
Old 02-08-18, 05:47 AM
All Ohio

LeBronJames23Cavs
Perry's schedule last year was a little bit of bad luck with teams having down years. Yeah Walsh and Valley Forge were always expected to be cupcakes. But those were also last minute fills for home games. Butler finished how they were expected but they were coming off a playoff season when they signed the home and home. And then you had Central, Lake, and Glenoak which all had uncharacteristic poor seasons.

As for scheduling better and saying about how they barely made the playoffs at 9-1. It's a gamble to schedule a better team like Louisville or Massillon but if they scheduled them and lost it might knock them out of the playoffs. In D1 you are kind of screwed if you do and screwed if you don't. You have to have everything align right. Being back in D2 it allows a lot more risks to be taken. That's why I like seeing Louisville on the schedule.

But why are we even talking about Massillon when there isn't any common open weeks between the schools.

And personally I'd rather not have Massillon on our schedule if we are in D2. It makes any potential playoff match-up have a bigger feel to it than if we are playing a game at the beginning of the season and meet up again.
Old 02-09-18, 10:47 AM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
Quote:
That said, Green was pretty good in the late 90s/early 00s, even going to the state semi-finals in 2001 and barely losing to the eventual D2 state champion (the Yappi wiki only shows their program history back to the late 90s -- any Green historians on here?). Every program has its ups and downs, Green has just been down far longer than anyone else in the Fed and I still don't think they've yet shown that they can compete. Not sure how many return for next year but hopefully they can build on some decent defensive efforts last year (particularly against Highland) and turn the corner. Next year's Fed looks wide open.
Green has a long history of football success... people in the Fed just don't care enough to know it.

In the 70's I believe (may have been early 80's) they had some very good teams and they made our first playoff appearance and decent playoff run in 1994 (I know because it was my senior year there )... lost in regional final I believe to Chardon and would've played Lake in the next round if we had won. It would've been a fun backyard rivalry playoff game if it had come to be.

Green's made six playoff appearances now... in 93, 00, 01, 02, 03, and 04
Old 02-09-18, 10:59 AM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
Green has a long history of football success... people in the Fed just don't care enough to know it.

In the 70's I believe (may have been early 80's) they had some very good teams and they made our first playoff appearance and decent playoff run in 1994 (I know because it was my senior year there )... lost in regional final I believe to Chardon and would've played Lake in the next round if we had won. It would've been a fun backyard rivalry playoff game if it had come to be.

Green's made six playoff appearances now... in 93, 00, 01, 02, 03, and 04
Your senior year!...oh my! (You don't look a day over 28 I must say!) That would have been the football season of 93...a very good year. Lake played Louisville, Bellevue, and Chardon before St Mary's in the final that year. Louisville was very good that year and Chardon won the title the next year.
Old 02-09-18, 04:18 PM
All Yappi

Perry 67 is on a distinguished road
Cool Schedule.

[QUOTE=MATCAT67;6982037]
Quote:
lol Jackson 3, i don't think Wake said that. The final score was 31-0. Something that some people do not realize is you plan for the post season ahead of time. Perry has had excellent scheduling the last few years.

Perry had not had excellent scheduling the last couple of years. When you're 9-1 heading into playoffs, you should be hosting a playoff game, not traveling to one. Valley Forge, Vandalia Butler? Come on, Perry can do better than this. This is why Massillon and Louisville would be such a great addition. If Perry was 9-1 with both of those teams on the schedule this year, Euclid comes to Perry for round 1.
Not every out of league team is going to be 8-2 or 9-1. How do you really know Butler or Walsh or for that matter any team is going to pee down their leg? You take a chance. Glenoak has had the toughest sched. and look how that is working out. Anybody can have 2 teams on their schedule that go 5-5 or worse. You never know. It's a crap shoot.
Old 02-09-18, 04:57 PM
All District

Ohio Proud 64 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I want Massillon in. But that Competitive Balance number is gnarly. There's just no way it's gonna fly with the Jackson AD and probably Hoover as well. I don't really blame them to be honest. BUT -- the status quo won't do. The gate would be worth it and the Fed crowds as they are start to get weak come October and cold weather.

It is a little bit of a paradoxical choice for the Fed schools (Jax, Perry, and NCH in particular) -- refuse to play Massillon out of principle, but then nothing will change. The past five years there has been a lot of parity. A lot of missed chances to beat the evil Tigers. And if they had done that, and there was all that excitement in the league, then maybe fewer players would think they needed to go to Massillon to excel athletically. Massillon will probably be pretty solid the next two years though so it may harden the position of some Fed schools against having them join.

I still find it interesting that Jackson has a hard ban against Massillon in any sport for decades and had a hard ban against Central too. That's a little unusual for a high school. Wakefield is a little bit that way too -- what did he say this year? Walsh or somebody is going off the schedule because they are cheaters?

Exactly - Perry, North Canton and Jackson need to play Massillon and beat them like GlenOak and McK do. Run a good program and lil johnny isn't going to look elsewhere. When you don't play teams and complain about them you look like a Mitch. No better feeling than to beat a cheater on their home field

Last edited by Ohio Proud 64; 02-09-18 at 04:58 PM. Reason: verbiage
Old 02-09-18, 05:13 PM
All Yappi

Maxie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
The Tigers have won last 6 out of last 7 games against the Pups. In 2018???????
Old 02-09-18, 06:00 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
The Tigers have won last 6 out of last 7 games against the Pups. In 2018???????
Another fact is that the Tigers have a 48-133 record against the Pups in Boys Basketball. That's 85 games under .500.
Old 02-09-18, 06:51 PM
All Yappi

Maxie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Another fact is that the Tigers have a 48-133 record against the Pups in Boys Basketball. That's 85 games under .500.

I thought this was a football thread. Maybe you can review the Tigers' 80% all-time winning record against the Federal League. Especially, since most of your league members won't schedule the Tigers
Old 02-09-18, 07:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Thatís weird I swore I clicked on football....typical jealous troll.
Old 02-09-18, 07:36 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Proud 64 View Post

Exactly - Perry, North Canton and Jackson need to play Massillon and beat them like GlenOak and McK do. Run a good program and lil johnny isn't going to look elsewhere. When you don't play teams and complain about them you look like a Mitch. No better feeling than to beat a cheater on their home field
Exactly, like when the Tigers beat your puppies on their home field this year, although being at the game I had no idea it was a mck home game.
Interesting your forgetting about the ďmove insĒ from Colorado that your Coach brought in last year. They just happened to end up at mck right....
Old 02-09-18, 08:05 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Proud 64 View Post

So....you beat Perry in wrestling?
Old 02-09-18, 08:06 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thatís weird I swore I clicked on football....typical jealous troll.
Oops! I forgot that Tigers fans don't like discussing things like basketball and baseball, especially over the last 8 years or so.

But, ANY discussion of Federal League expansion has to address basketball, baseball, as well as the other 19 sports in which league members compete. Don't expect anyone to join so they can participate in just one sport.

Only the myopic would consider just one sport as it relates to an all around league like the Federal League.