Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-30-18, 05:39 PM
All American

alk4474 is on a distinguished road
2018 swbl

Who wins? Best players? 2018 biggest surprise?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-18, 08:13 AM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
Buckeye-
Madison has to be the favorite. they lose some impact players, but have so many returning
Preble loses Gibson and their coach. Can't guess on them until they hire their new guy.
Carlisle loses Chambers and Moore
Milton loses Shields and coach, replaced with Pearce
Dixie loses Worley and Clark
rumblings that Waynesville could rehire Philpot?

After Madison I think it's tough to pick a clear 2 through 7

Best player? maybe Cole Pelgren, but it's hard to get love from the Defensive line. Svarda offensively will get some love (and he's good, but his O-line gets alot of credit for his yards also) Carmichal(WV-QB), Green (PS-QB), Grove (MU-RB), Hines (NR-RB) should all be names to know on offense.
Old 01-31-18, 12:44 PM
All Ohio

Exit 29 is on a distinguished road
Valley View- Not sure what they return but I expect a competitive team, program is in great shape.

Franklin-I believe they return a stud linebacker (centers?) and the QB Woods.

Bellbrook- I think Bellbrook is loaded with 2-3 year starters, could be the team to beat.

Oakwood- Don't they lose the QB who could sling it?

Brookville- Not sure what they have, they lose Wallen. I think they return a good amount of starters.

Eaton- I think they are steadily getting better, not sure who they have.

Monroe- New Coach, New attitude. They return the QB and a good wide out and I believe a handful of starters elsewhere. The coaches kid transferred from Mason and should be a stud on the DL. I don't expect much this season but they may surprise people.
Old 01-31-18, 01:19 PM
All District

borntopin is on a distinguished road
Svarda/Pelgen/Evans

Madison will be loaded and will get an early test versus Franklin. They only lost 5 starters (2nd best rb/best olineman) and should be better this year if they can stay away from the injury bug. I will be shocked if Madison doesn't go undefeated in league play again.

The SW division will go through VV again but the Wildcats have them in Franklin this year and it may be for the div championship.

The best players I really cant say because I don't know many of the kids on other teams but Madison has a couple of kids who should/may get D-1 offers (Evans/Pelgen). Cole Pelgen had 18 sacks last year and with another year in the weight room watch out. Cam Svarda broke the school record for rushing yards last year (1500) and I expect him to top that. Mason Whiteman will lead the team at QB/S and is a load to bring down. This team will battle for a state championship and will be fun to watch. Nearly won it all last year (leading in the 4th qtr) losing in the final 4 to Wheelersburg who won it all in OT. Maybe they can finish the deal this time around...
Old 01-31-18, 02:14 PM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm going with Bellbrook and Franklin in the SW part of the SWBL. Eagles return several starters and should be senior loaded just like Valley View was this past year. I thought the Spartans lose all the key players on their offense
Old 01-31-18, 09:35 PM
All District

CMorris_99 is on a distinguished road
Who does Madison have week 3. Heard Massie is looking for a game and willing to travel. If Madison is going to be loaded this would be a great test.
Old 02-01-18, 09:45 AM
All Region

BBfootball92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Southwestern side

1. Bellbrook ; they return 10 guys on both sides of ball that are 3 year starters , along with another 5-6 guys that will be going into their 2nd year of starting . Bb did lose 3-4 guys upfront but those spots should be filled very well with a great junior class of lineman and a sophomore class that's absolulety loaded from top to bottom, might be best class in 10-15 years.
These 2-3 year starters have started on 2 straight teams that have went 7-3 and missed the playoffs, the hunger for that elusive playoff spot will drive this team.
With genslinger and Montgomery gone bellbrook now has the most dynamic player in the league in Cedric Ferguson , before an ankle injury last year he was pulling up yardage and touchdowns on only about 14 carries a game. He is a game changer, he looked even faster in track this year, which is mind blowing .
Bb also returns a 3 year starting quarterback who threw for 1,000 yards and ran for 500 last year in an offense that's not geared around him, it features out backs, look for him to have a strong year , as the year went on they let him wing it around more, he has a good arm, makes good decisions for most part.
Lastly , bb had the most dominate lineman on both sides of ball in bullock , receiving multiple letters d1 . He's a game changer as well and flat out gets out and blocks 10-20 yards down field.

2. Franklin ; that qb is a stud and franklin seems to reload anymore so I expect them to be very strong still , great coaching staff and players that believe they can win year after year. Week 5 @ bellbrook is the league championship imo, I know it's early but that's my "way to early prediction"

3. Vv loses a lot from a team that was special , loaded from top to bottom, but with a lot of talent in the upcoming classes and a great coaching staff this program isn't going anywhere , they'll be right in the thick of things battling for another league title, I love that valley cure football matters again . The league needs them.

4. Brookville; wallen era is over , they are a solid program though who always seems to put a solid team on the field I look at them to battle at the 6-4 7-3
Area. Not to sure about what they lost or return

5 . Oakwood

6. Eaton

7. Monroe
Old 02-01-18, 10:23 AM
All Region

Oakwood loses their gunslinger qb I believe , it's always hard to put a finger in them from year to year .

Eaton and Monroe just continue to be head scratchers to me , I know Monroe has a new coach and new direction, hope they can get that thing turned around, and eaton , I don't know much about eaton right now. Were they young last year?
Old 02-01-18, 11:49 AM
All District

thebig1 is on a distinguished road
I am hearing a lot of good things out of Hornet Country. Good numbers at weight lifting with some new faces...including Faulk's son. Talent hasn't been the issue the past couple years. This season's success will come down to whether or not Faulk can get them to buy in, adapt to a new system, and be disciplined. I think the Hornets will surprise some teams and finish 5-5 or 6-4. My biggest concern talent wise is replacing Collins at RB.
Old 02-01-18, 08:12 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig1 View Post
I am hearing a lot of good things out of Hornet Country. Good numbers at weight lifting with some new faces...including Faulk's son. Talent hasn't been the issue the past couple years. This season's success will come down to whether or not Faulk can get them to buy in, adapt to a new system, and be disciplined. I think the Hornets will surprise some teams and finish 5-5 or 6-4. My biggest concern talent wise is replacing Collins at RB.
Weve heard this before from you guys after a coaching change
Old 02-02-18, 10:48 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk4474 View Post
Weve heard this before from you guys after a coaching change
I think this is the change that was needed. I am not optimistic about this season, I think 2-8 to 5-5 is the range on the Hornets. Running the wing-t will be interesting to see considering Monroe has been a spread team for most of the last 14 years. What does the View return?
Old 02-02-18, 11:42 AM
Junior Varsity

HornetAlum is on a distinguished road
I optimistically think the Hornets have a chance to turn it around this year and have a better season. I keep reading Wing-T this, wing-T that, but I don't think this years offense will be as different as some believe. The one article in the paper, Faulk mentioned Gus Malzahn's offense and what Sycamore does. I looked up some video after that and both of them appear to use some of the Wing-T blocking schemes, but out of the shotgun/pistol with 2 and 3 WR sets. So for those expecting a double tight, under-center, ground and pound like Madison or Edgewood's Wing-T, I just don't see that happening based on those comments.

I think the Hornets return some good talent on both sides of the ball and adding Faulk's son will be a big boost. I think Faulk brings some excitement, work ethic, and discipline that was all lacking the last couple years. Hornets also benefit from some very talented players at other schools graduating. I'm not sure how that will affect some of those teams like Oakwood losing Erbe, Brookville losing Wallen, and VV losing that loaded class. I'll take the Hornets going .500 or better.
Old 02-02-18, 12:32 PM
All District

thebig1 is on a distinguished road
HornetAlum, I agree...especially since I hear most of the staff is coming back including Osterman as the OC.
Old 02-08-18, 05:27 PM
All American

With the pending GWOC split. Is this a good time for the SWBL to restructure? Maybe adding West Carrollton or even Fairborn?
Old 02-08-18, 09:15 PM
All Ohio

I believe West Carrollton would jump at the chance to be in the SWBL. But, what does WC offer for the league? I do believe they would have a better chance at success and I am not sold they will be awful forever. Eventually they will become competitive again. Fairborn is D2 in football I believe so I am not sure about them.
Old 02-09-18, 09:01 AM
All American

Captain Awesome is on a distinguished road
West Carrollton offers very little and would make the league unbalanced I could see adding them and Fairborn to the SW side and pushing Brookville down to the Buckeye giving you 8 teams on each side and no need for the crossover just giving you three non league games.

But don't like the appeal of West Carrollton if they are expanding get Edgewood first and foremost then WC if you need another team to balance the league, but Edgewood would be my first call.
Old 02-09-18, 10:14 AM
All Ohio

I agree with adding Edgewood into the league. They have rivals in Franklin and Monroe already in the SWBL and I believe they have a little bit of history with Valley View and Eaton. They would be competitive in all sports in the SWBL. The only downside to them is they are D2 in football which doesn't bother me but may bother some. Ross would be another candidate but travel would be an issue. Fairborn wouldn't be a bad addition. If West Carollton wants in the SWBL I think they should go to the Buckeye side until they can become competitive again.

I personally am not 100% against Trotwood being in the league. I think it would give the SWBL teams a good bar to reach for, but I would be extremely surprised if they got into the SWBL.
Old 02-09-18, 07:44 PM
All Yappi

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 29 View Post
I agree with adding Edgewood into the league. They have rivals in Franklin and Monroe already in the SWBL and I believe they have a little bit of history with Valley View and Eaton. They would be competitive in all sports in the SWBL. The only downside to them is they are D2 in football which doesn't bother me but may bother some. Ross would be another candidate but travel would be an issue. Fairborn wouldn't be a bad addition. If West Carollton wants in the SWBL I think they should go to the Buckeye side until they can become competitive again.

I personally am not 100% against Trotwood being in the league. I think it would give the SWBL teams a good bar to reach for, but I would be extremely surprised if they got into the SWBL.
Uh the chances of Trotwood getting in the SWBL, are slim and none and slim just left the area. Uh adding Edgewood, Ross, and Talawanda to the SWBL, would be a plus for everybody involved. Uh makes to much sense, probably will never happen.
Old 02-09-18, 09:47 PM
All Region

West Carrollton would be a good addition, football wise they would be a great fit for buckeye side but basketball wise they would be the better team year in and out , so I think them to the sw side would be best , I believe they'll be competitive again in football soon at least a Program that wins 4-8games a year in the swbl, right now their struggling to win period .
I'd also love to add Fairborn , they will make us swbl teams bring it every night, yes they're d2 but bellbrook has played them 4 times in last 6 years and beat them every game. The games are always good though with the exception of us blowing then out once . Fairborn always brings athletes and size, they could compete for a league title and build a program in the swbl, along with making the rest of ya continue to grow and be better. Franklin and bellbrook have both been division 2 multiple times in the past 10 years and not won the league in those years , the numbers aren't in the Upper echelon of d2 so it's not like we're playing a Troy or miamisburg every year .
Vv , bb , franklin , Monroe are all used to playing strong ooc schedules every year playing up to size and comp in schools so I don't see the difference , is love to have tipp too.

Sw side adds;
Tipp
Fairborn
West Carrollton

Buckeye ;

Brookville goes back

Oakwood;
would make them a bigger fish but not by very much , I think it would help them and up competition in buckeye league ,

Buckeye league;
oakwood , brookville , Madison , Carlisle , Milton , waynesville, Dixie , preble, Northridge

Southwest league ;
Fairborn , tipp, bellbrook , franklin, Monroe , valley view, eaton, west Carrollton

I think those make both sides of our league stronger and deeper and give every team a chance year in and out
Old 02-10-18, 09:06 AM
All Ohio

Tipp is where they belong. Tipp/Troy/Piqua is perfect for them. Better chance of getting Xenia in your scenario. They're at least kinda close to some SW schools. That Xenia to Greenville drive for a Wednesday night middle school volleyball game will be fun!
Old 02-10-18, 06:05 PM
All Ohio

I know Milton to the ccc is a possibility and I think PS and Dixie should follow with them. Northridge to the city league. Add in WC, Edgewood, Wilmington, and Clinton Massie. It would create something like this.

Southwest Side

Franklin
Bellbrook
Wilmington
Clinton Massie
Valley View
Monroe
Edgewood

Buckeye Side

Waynesville
Madison
Brookville
Carlisle
West Carollton
Oakwood
Eaton

There could be a clause in place where the bottom 3 of the southwest side and top three of the Buckeye switch every 2-3 years. I don’t want Milton to leave but also know it’s possible.
Old 02-10-18, 07:11 PM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Milton isn't leaving the SWBL. Forget that. The CCC isn't a good fit due to many reasons.
Trotwood to the SWBL? HAHA! WHY?
West Carrollton is a terrible addition. Why does the SWBL need to expand? Seems pretty competitive as it is.
Old 02-10-18, 07:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
Milton isn't leaving the SWBL. Forget that. The CCC isn't a good fit due to many reasons.
Trotwood to the SWBL? HAHA! WHY?
West Carrollton is a terrible addition. Why does the SWBL need to expand? Seems pretty competitive as it is.
1. Just forecasting if Milton was to leave what I could/want to see happen.

2. If Trotwood is hung out to dry and needs a league I would think the SWBL would be a better option for them than the city league. I know its not going to happen but crazier things have happened.

3. West Carollton I think would become more competitive in the SWBL, they certainly dont belong in the GWoc.

4. SWBL is fine as is but there is things that can be improved on, as a Monroe alum and avid fan I would love to see our rival Edgewood in the same league, and adding CM and Wilmington would set the bar high in Football and Basketball.
Old 02-11-18, 10:14 AM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
If those teams moved into the SWBL, you'd see Milton and Brookville bolt. Massie and Wilmington along with Edgewood would be way too much travel for northern teams. The CCC is not an option for Milton or Brookville. I can see Milton aligning with the CBC at some point. Those teams are way more in line with us. Miami East Milton and Brookville could join the CBC and make it a great conference. East was a member of the CBC until the CCC came calling.
SWBL should look at adding another couple teams like West Carrollton and even Edgewood if Milton and Brookville leave. But West Carrollton is not a good replacement for either Brookville or MU.

CBC teams:
Tecumseh, Bellefontaine, Urbana, Indian lake, Ben Logan, Kenton Ridge, Northwestern, Shawnee, Graham, Jon Alder, London and North Union. Could add Milton Union and Miami East.

Last edited by BlessEmAll; 02-11-18 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-12-18, 04:42 PM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
While I don't know how strong the interest would be on the SWBL side, I think Edgewood, Ross and Talawanda would listen to anything the conference would have to say in terms of membership. These three schools I believe have no long term interest in the SWOC (their current conference) but it's a situation of convenience as it currently stands.

All three provide some unattractive travel distances, especially Ross being almost in Hamilton County.
Old 02-13-18, 02:47 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
While I don't know how strong the interest would be on the SWBL side, I think Edgewood, Ross and Talawanda would listen to anything the conference would have to say in terms of membership. These three schools I believe have no long term interest in the SWOC (their current conference) but it's a situation of convenience as it currently stands.

All three provide some unattractive travel distances, especially Ross being almost in Hamilton County.
Edgewood would be my choice because logistically they don't create an issue and are competitive in just about every sport. Talawanda is going to be a travel nightmare no matter what league they are in, but I wouldn't be opposed to them being in the SWBL. Ross isn't as bad travel wise as Talawanda but still is a haul for anyone in the SWBL. I think some big changes are on the Horizon league wise within the next 5-10 years all throughout the Cincy-Dayton Metro area. I can see many school consolidations and splits in some cases.
Old 02-14-18, 08:44 AM
All American

You've already seen Glen Este and Amelia consolidate, I always thought there would be a time when Franklin and Carlisle would combine, but with Carlisle getting the new schools I am sure that would even be thought of now.

The league is going to have to have some changes going forward, Bellbrook, Monroe, and Franklin are going to continue to grow and I am sure the smaller schools in the southwest division aren't gonna take so kindly to the growth and being substantially smaller than those three. That's where I think you Edgewood, Ross, Talawanda, West Carrollton, and maybe even Fairborn come in to form a bigger division of all D2-D3 football schools and schools on the verge of D1 in basketball.
Old 02-14-18, 08:58 AM
All American

Something like this would be fun:

1)
Bellbrook
Franklin
Edgewood
Ross
Talawanda
Fairborn
Wilmington

2)
Valley View
Oakwood
Eaton
Clinton Massie
Waynesville
West Carrolton
Monroe

3)
Dixie
Northridge
Milton UNion
Shawnee
Madison
Carlisle
Brookville

Ideally you add one more team to get to three divisions of eight teams and get rid of crossovers. Xenia is a possible addition for group A, just not sure who you would add in group B or C not as familiar with the small schools. Group A has some long trips, but the rest of this looks pretty doable trip wise.
Old 02-14-18, 09:53 AM
All Ohio

21 teams doesn't work.
somebody has an OOC every week. first 3 that's easy. finding a week 9 OOC isn't.
Once you get this big, might as well be 2 different leagues. the GWOC is finding that out right now.
sorry, I know it's just for fun. Not trying to be the rain cloud.
Old 02-14-18, 10:39 AM
All American

Exactly why I said you needed 24 teams! Xenia goes group 1, need some ideas for group 2 and 3. 14 doesn't work in the SWBL with having to play crossovers against teams who aren't good. 8 is the most ideal number 7 league games 3 non conferences 14 league games in baseball in basketball still plenty of flexibility to schedule outside teams.