Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-19-18, 03:12 PM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Newark Catholic looking for head coach

Bill Franks is out at NC. I heard conflicting reports. Heard he took the job at New Lexington which means he left. I also saw the players post that he was fired. I'm going with the first scenario.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-18, 05:41 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is on a distinguished road
Just had a former player tell me about this.

Good luck to Franks at new Lexington.
Old 01-20-18, 05:46 PM
All Region

sparkplug is on a distinguished road
The program has continued to under perform during his tenure, particularly in the last 4 years. I think his departure was inevitable and his leaving was likely a mutual decision aimed at saving what is left. Unfortunately it’s too little too late and I don’t expect that NC football will ever return to the level of play they once had. And,yes, I know he won a State Championship while he was coach but there are many that believe it was more about the athletes than his coaching ability.
Old 01-20-18, 05:50 PM
All Yappi

I had a former player, who's son played under coach Franks say that same thing to me about the kids over coming. There was a group of parents, who all agreed with the person, who had said that.

Not going to respect Coach Franks, but what you said seems to be a common thing said by N.C. people.
Old 01-20-18, 08:46 PM
All Region

teach1coach2 is on a distinguished road
http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.c...on/1049613001/
Old 01-20-18, 09:00 PM
Grand Inquisitor

Baron Von Steuben is on a distinguished road
9-5 and a state semi appearance in 2016. Looking in from the outside I'm surprised he got wacked.
Old 01-20-18, 10:32 PM
All Region

Salesman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkplug View Post
The program has continued to under perform during his tenure, particularly in the last 4 years. I think his departure was inevitable and his leaving was likely a mutual decision aimed at saving what is left. Unfortunately itís too little too late and I donít expect that NC football will ever return to the level of play they once had. And,yes, I know he won a State Championship while he was coach but there are many that believe it was more about the athletes than his coaching ability.
NOBODY has ever won a State Championship without being able to coach. Talent only takes you so far--coaching will do the rest.
Old 01-20-18, 11:17 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salesman View Post
NOBODY has ever won a State Championship without being able to coach. Talent only takes you so far--coaching will do the rest.
Were you at any of the post season games that year? And while I would normally agree with you, it was the reverse that year at NC. Without the crazy defensive plays by Baker and the immergence of Shook as a second running back, NC May not have made it past Danville. And had it not been for Elwell calling his own # 3 times in the State final game (for running TDís) they wouldnít have won that either. Those runs were not runs called by Franks.

Last edited by sparkplug; 01-21-18 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-20-18, 11:29 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Steuben View Post
9-5 and a state semi appearance in 2016. Looking in from the outside I'm surprised he got wacked.
I think the 3-7 record is tied for the worst record in NC football history. The school has lost its ability to garner the best athletes from the area because of the declining program.
Old 01-20-18, 11:31 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salesman View Post
Weíll see how he does at his new ďgigĒ! That will tell the tale wonít it.
Old 01-21-18, 07:38 AM
All Yappi

New Lexington was pretty down last year, so he has a lot of work to do.
Old 01-21-18, 09:02 AM
All District

RubberChickenII is on a distinguished road
In past 6 seasons Newark Catholic has had 4 winning seasons with 4 playoff births. They went 5-5 in the other and 3-7 this year. Year in and year out, Newark Catholic plays a schedule that most D6/D7 schools would be lucky to win a couple games in, yet NC typically wins more than they lose and then make some noise in the postseason. In those 4 playoff years Newark Catholic was 9 and 4 with 2 trips to the state Final 4.
I fully understand that the Head Coach takes most of the blame when any program doesnt "win enough" from the supporters of any school, but this is just a classic example of nothing is ever enough any more in our society, especially in sports. Most coaches, players and communities would love to enjoy a 6 year stretch like Newark Catholic just went through, but simply not enough wins or state titles to feed "the beast" that Newark Catholic football has created. Truly a shame.
Good luck to Coach Franks in his next job, good coach and even more important a good person.
Old 01-21-18, 10:36 AM
All Region

The real reason he needed to leave

Quote:
I think the 3-7 record is tied for the worst record in NC football history. The school has lost its ability to garner the best athletes from the area because of the declining program.

Definition of recruiting - garner the best athletes from the area

I have no opinion on Franks. But if you have hurt the school's ability to recruit in a private school you certainly have to go. Yes open enrollment has helped some public schools, but certainly still not a level playing field. Kudos to OHSAA for it's recent attempt to level things a little more.
Old 01-21-18, 10:42 AM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
I was friends with long time NC coach J.D. Graham, even coached against one another. He often said the expectation level there bordered on lunacy, not knowing the actual talent level, the luck they had in some games, etc . Win a few championships and suddenly everyone is an expert. Such is the reality. Franks has gone to an old area powerhouse thats been down and out. We'll see what he can do. NC may be in for an education.
Old 01-21-18, 09:21 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberChickenII View Post
In past 6 seasons Newark Catholic has had 4 winning seasons with 4 playoff births. They went 5-5 in the other and 3-7 this year. Year in and year out, Newark Catholic plays a schedule that most D6/D7 schools would be lucky to win a couple games in, yet NC typically wins more than they lose and then make some noise in the postseason. In those 4 playoff years Newark Catholic was 9 and 4 with 2 trips to the state Final 4.
I fully understand that the Head Coach takes most of the blame when any program doesnt "win enough" from the supporters of any school, but this is just a classic example of nothing is ever enough any more in our society, especially in sports. Most coaches, players and communities would love to enjoy a 6 year stretch like Newark Catholic just went through, but simply not enough wins or state titles to feed "the beast" that Newark Catholic football has created. Truly a shame.
Good luck to Coach Franks in his next job, good coach and even more important a good person.
I beg to differ on your assessment as it is more than wins/losses that have caused this to happen to Franks. When Franks started his tenure at NC and when NC won its State Championship in 2007 there were multiple levels of quality coaching throughout the program. Many of the coaches had played under JD Graham and their expertise had created a system of solid fundamentals and winning not unlike you see in the Little MAC. Franks has gutted that system turning away and eliminating the assistance of his previous teammates many who have now gone on to other schools. The erosion of that winning system along with the increased success of the public schools in the Newark area have been a deadly combination for the program. Many of the players on that 2007 team had fathers who had played and won under JD Graham. That is gone in part to Frankís rebuke of those old teammates and the large fan base that use to attend NCís games has dwindled over the last 3 years to a much smaller parent only type crowd. Franks is gone because the way he handled the program has descimated it and that has financial consequences to a private school.
Old 01-21-18, 09:26 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
I was friends with long time NC coach J.D. Graham, even coached against one another. He often said the expectation level there bordered on lunacy, not knowing the actual talent level, the luck they had in some games, etc . Win a few championships and suddenly everyone is an expert. Such is the reality. Franks has gone to an old area powerhouse thats been down and out. We'll see what he can do. NC may be in for an education.
I just can’t see him being able to do better than 5-5 and unfortunately I think that may be too optimistic.
Old 01-21-18, 09:34 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1coach2 View Post
Definition of recruiting - garner the best athletes from the area

I have no opinion on Franks. But if you have hurt the school's ability to recruit in a private school you certainly have to go. Yes open enrollment has helped some public schools, but certainly still not a level playing field. Kudos to OHSAA for it's recent attempt to level things a little more.
A winning athletic program gets the attention of athletes, doesnít matter if thatís a public or private school and in some cases parents and student athletes make the choice to attend that program because of that success. Doesnít mean the school is actively recruiting. Thatís why I used the word ďgarnerĒ and not recruit. A private school gets people willing to pay for a school because itís worth paying for the product (academic excellence, athletic excellence) that they expect their children to receive by attending the school.
Old 01-21-18, 09:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I beg to differ on your assessment as it is more than wins/losses that have caused this to happen to Franks. When Franks started his tenure at NC and when NC won its State Championship in 2007 there were multiple levels of quality coaching throughout the program. Many of the coaches had played under JD Graham and their expertise had created a system of solid fundamentals and winning not unlike you see in the Little MAC. Franks has gutted that system turning away and eliminating the assistance of his previous teammates many who have now gone on to other schools. The erosion of that winning system along with the increased success of the public schools in the Newark area have been a deadly combination for the program. Many of the players on that 2007 team had fathers who had played and won under JD Graham. That is gone in part to Frankís rebuke of those old teammates and the large fan base that use to attend NCís games has dwindled over the last 3 years to a much smaller parent only type crowd. Franks is gone because the way he handled the program has decimated it and that has financial consequences to a private school.
Excellent post. I have heard a lot this said at games and in have a few brown bottles, with former players, that had sons playing in the current game.

I wonder if the new coach brings back the Saturday games?
Friday crowds have not been all that great.
Lost a large group of fans, when the games went to Friday night, after Saturday had been the way for such a long time.
Old 01-21-18, 10:29 PM
All American

You maybe correct, spark plug . New Lex has been dormant since Rockwell left. Program needs rebuilt.

NC has also lost a lot of talent that used to come from Newark and Granville as people continue to move to the outer reaches of the county. Times have changed.
Old 01-21-18, 10:35 PM
All Region

I would guess that league opponents would not want to play on Saturdays.
Old 01-21-18, 10:41 PM
All American

Yep, most don't want to play on Saturday
Old 01-22-18, 11:33 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberChickenII View Post
I think coach Franks is a good guy. No one cares more about their players than he does. He is extremely loyal to his seniors (to a fault). The majority of his players would run through a brick wall for him.

That being said he has stepped away from actively coaching the past few years. His assistants do everything while he BS's with the boys. As for the '14 and '17 seasons those are his fault for letting the 2 offensive coordinators run the show. The '14 team was loaded with talent. They should've gone 8-2 and been in the playoffs. The '17 team was not as talented but should've been 5-5 or better.

In regards to former players. Yes several former Graham players have asked to coach. Several of those coaches have never coached high school football before. Plus, a few of them sit in the stands and scream about his play calling all night. Why would he want to have them on the sidelines complaining? Others would've been good coaches but they would've challenged him and he knew that.

Good luck coach Franks at New Lex. Hope you do well but you have a long road ahead of you with that program.
Old 01-22-18, 12:32 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I beg to differ on your assessment as it is more than wins/losses that have caused this to happen to Franks. When Franks started his tenure at NC and when NC won its State Championship in 2007 there were multiple levels of quality coaching throughout the program. Many of the coaches had played under JD Graham and their expertise had created a system of solid fundamentals and winning not unlike you see in the Little MAC. Franks has gutted that system turning away and eliminating the assistance of his previous teammates many who have now gone on to other schools. The erosion of that winning system along with the increased success of the public schools in the Newark area have been a deadly combination for the program. Many of the players on that 2007 team had fathers who had played and won under JD Graham. That is gone in part to Frankís rebuke of those old teammates and the large fan base that use to attend NCís games has dwindled over the last 3 years to a much smaller parent only type crowd. Franks is gone because the way he handled the program has descimated it and that has financial consequences to a private school.
Sounds like you are on the inside at NC. From the outside my view is that first, they just do not have the talent their teams in the past have had. But having watched film on them for the last 2 years, they still seem to over perform given the level of talent they posses. No one wins a state title with out talent, nor do you win one without some ability in coaching.
Old 01-22-18, 02:08 PM
Junior Varsity

NCwrestlingmom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I beg to differ on your assessment as it is more than wins/losses that have caused this to happen to Franks. When Franks started his tenure at NC and when NC won its State Championship in 2007 there were multiple levels of quality coaching throughout the program. Many of the coaches had played under JD Graham and their expertise had created a system of solid fundamentals and winning not unlike you see in the Little MAC. Franks has gutted that system turning away and eliminating the assistance of his previous teammates many who have now gone on to other schools. The erosion of that winning system along with the increased success of the public schools in the Newark area have been a deadly combination for the program. Many of the players on that 2007 team had fathers who had played and won under JD Graham. That is gone in part to Frank’s rebuke of those old teammates and the large fan base that use to attend NC’s games has dwindled over the last 3 years to a much smaller parent only type crowd. Franks is gone because the way he handled the program has descimated it and that has financial consequences to a private school.
As the parent of a current player, this is 100% on the money. Bill is a great man, great motivational speaker and has been wonderful to the students. That being said, you are only as good as the coaching staff under you because you can't be everywhere at once. Coach Pickering was out hurt the better part of the season. His tenured, experienced staff has left because of retirement or opportunities for betterment. There were opportunities for former players to assist this year, and they went on to teams who made playoff runs because they were turned away. It's a shame. Hopefully the right person will be selected to bring success back for this new era. Wish Bill nothing but the best in New Lex.
Old 01-22-18, 03:37 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Any indication who may be on the inside track for the job? Someone currently within the building/system? Maybe an alum such as Andy Helms or Tony Hurps?
Old 01-22-18, 03:44 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCwrestlingmom View Post
As the parent of a current player, this is 100% on the money. Bill is a great man, great motivational speaker and has been wonderful to the students. That being said, you are only as good as the coaching staff under you because you can't be everywhere at once. Coach Pickering was out hurt the better part of the season. His tenured, experienced staff has left because of retirement or opportunities for betterment. There were opportunities for former players to assist this year, and they went on to teams who made playoff runs because they were turned away. It's a shame. Hopefully the right person will be selected to bring success back for this new era. Wish Bill nothing but the best in New Lex.
As a head coach you can be involved as much as you want to be. He stepped down from the AD job to concentrate on football so he should've been aware of what was going on. He hires the staff so that still falls on him if he doesn't have quality coaches around him. Those former players that went on to playoff runs have no high school coaching experience. Those same guys criticized Franks at every turn. Why would he hire them. The team they went to was going to make the playoffs with or without them. That playoff team had a good core group of seniors. That coaching staff is the best in the county and have been for years.
Old 01-22-18, 03:46 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Any indication who may be on the inside track for the job? Someone currently within the building/system? Maybe an alum such as Andy Helms or Tony Hurps?
They are looking at an alumnus but there isn't a close second. Hope they can get this guy but it's a long shot.
Old 01-22-18, 06:36 PM
All Yappi

My top three as far as former players

No order
Jeff Uhlenhake
Tom Pickering(I know Tom a little and I think he would be a good choice
Hurps(One of my fav all time Green Wave Players.
Old 01-22-18, 07:08 PM
Junior Varsity

Rocket Man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And that is exactly why I don't care for private schools. But them in their own divisions. Thanks for stating what I have been saying for a long time.
Old 01-22-18, 08:14 PM
Junior Varsity

NCwrestlingmom is on a distinguished road
Tom Pickering is a great guy and a great coach. The boys love him. That would be great!