Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-06-18, 12:57 AM
All District

Footballfever123 is on a distinguished road
Larlham* misspelled his name in my earlier post
Old 02-06-18, 01:35 AM
All Ohio

stoike is on a distinguished road
Anyone have any opinions on Dan Larlham or Pete Thompson? I know zero about them.
Old 02-06-18, 08:37 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Larlham played QB at Walsh. I believe he was QB on their state championship team. He went on to Michigan State then transferred to Baldwin Wallace. He was at Walsh as a coach and teacher. Many assumed he was in line to be the next head coach after Gerry Rardin retired, but Walsh went in another direction with Scott Beigie who was also on staff. Larlham then went across the street to CVCA and has rebuilt the program there. I've heard the CVCA folks could not be happier while many Walsh alums are second guessing the decision to not name him the head coach when they had the chance.

Before taking the Streetsboro job last year, Pete Thompson took Crestwood to the state playoffs in 3 consecutive years. He lives in Stow and was and still may be a history teacher at Kenston (where he was also an assistant).
Old 02-06-18, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Larlham played QB at Walsh. I believe he was QB on their state championship team. He went on to Michigan State then transferred to Baldwin Wallace. He was at Walsh as a coach and teacher. Many assumed he was in line to be the next head coach after Gerry Rardin retired, but Walsh went in another direction with Scott Beigie who was also on staff. Larlham then went across the street to CVCA and has rebuilt the program there. I've heard the CVCA folks could not be happier while many Walsh alums are second guessing the decision to not name him the head coach when they had the chance.

Before taking the Streetsboro job last year, Pete Thompson took Crestwood to the state playoffs in 3 consecutive years. He lives in Stow and was and still may be a history teacher at Kenston (where he was also an assistant).
FWIW, Larlham was already in college when Walsh won that state title. QB on that team was Alaburda.
Old 02-06-18, 09:41 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
FWIW, Larlham was already in college when Walsh won that state title. QB on that team was Alaburda.
Thanks for the correction.
Old 02-06-18, 11:03 AM
All Ohio

smash mouth 34
Quote:
(where he was also an assistant).
He went 1-9 then 7-3 by scheduling some weak teams. I wouldn't necessarily call this turning a program around.
Old 02-06-18, 11:08 AM
Freshman

Fan20 is on a distinguished road
I think the speculated candidates might be a little off
Old 02-06-18, 11:09 AM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Crestwood coach had a once in a lifetime senior class that went to playoffs 3 years in a row and was eliminated rather quickly. He left when the class graduated in 2017 and that program is in shambles now.
Old 02-06-18, 11:13 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash mouth 34 View Post
He went 1-9 then 7-3 by scheduling some weak teams. I wouldn't necessarily call this turning a program around.
Call it whatever you want Smash. They won 3 games in 3 years then jumped to 7 and the people at CVCA have seen a huge change in the football culture of the school.
Old 02-06-18, 11:14 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Crestwood coach had a once in a lifetime senior class that went to playoffs 3 years in a row and was eliminated rather quickly. He left when the class graduated in 2017 and that program is in shambles now.
I think he saw the writing on the wall. The whole football system up there is way down on kids from what I have heard.
Old 02-06-18, 11:47 AM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think he saw the writing on the wall. The whole football system up there is way down on kids from what I have heard.
Yea itís in shambles. Basketball same deal. They had a stud 2017 class and nothing after that.
Old 02-06-18, 01:20 PM
All Ohio

ROCKETBOOSTER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
That is not an accurate statement he took what he had and made a nice run. Its not his fault that district is upside down. 2015 Crestwood Made it to the regional finals also. He also went to Streetsboro and had a decent season with a bare cupboard. Not saying he is great but obviously has had success and a track record of winning. I have seen a lot of guys do less with more. It does bother me the way these guys move around if in fact he is interviewing for the Stow job.
Old 02-06-18, 01:27 PM
All Region

pcbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
You are correct. Larlham was the quarterback for Walsh when they lost in the state semis in 1997 to Chaney and in the state finals in 1998 to DeSales.
Old 02-06-18, 01:38 PM
All Ohio

smash mouth 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuck View Post
You are correct. Larlham was the quarterback for Walsh when they lost in the state semis in 1997 to Chaney and in the state finals in 1998 to DeSales.
I was at that DeSales game. He played his butt off.
Old 02-07-18, 05:16 PM
All Ohio

Future00 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfever123 View Post
Here's the four I heard it's down to. A guy in the building already. Pete Thompson Streetsboro coach who lives in the community, Dan Larhlam CVCAs coach, and Ron Wright. Was told dont count the guy in the building out. Not saying this is concrete just heard these are the top four guys they liked.
This is the same information I am getting. There are certain factions in the community pushing for Poder to maintain the current system. Have to wonder if Thompson or Wright would plan to keep him on. I think that Dan Might have a different philosophy on offense, but that is just speculation on my part.
Old 02-07-18, 05:20 PM
Freshman

Fan20 is on a distinguished road
Your candidates might be off ... except for one
Old 02-07-18, 06:31 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan20 View Post
Your candidates might be off ... except for one
Iím confident in the source of my information to say the least. The fact that others are hearing the same makes it seem viable.
Old 02-07-18, 08:56 PM
Freshman

Ohio Baller9999 is on a distinguished road
Only name that I know for sure that got second interview is the OC Poder. He was the in house guy. Iíve heard all the names in this post mentioned as getting second interviews but hearing differently now. Iím not sure who to believe and who not too. Weíll see whose right soon as coach is supposed to be in place by March 1st.
Old 02-08-18, 11:57 AM
All Ohio

It make sense to hire from within to keep the familiarity of the kids and staff in place. Almost all of anyone who is out there is running the same 4 plays it seems like so why bring in an outsider to run the same things? The key is if Poder has and can keep connections with the youth and middle school programs!
Old 02-08-18, 12:53 PM
All Ohio

smash mouth 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETBOOSTER View Post
It make sense to hire from within to keep the familiarity of the kids and staff in place. Almost all of anyone who is out there is running the same 4 plays it seems like so why bring in an outsider to run the same things? The key is if Poder has and can keep connections with the youth and middle school programs!
Same 4 plays?? Offenses are much more diverse than they used to be.
Old 02-08-18, 02:04 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash mouth 34 View Post
Same 4 plays?? Offenses are much more diverse than they used to be.
If you are running the spread than its Jet sweep, read option series, and a couple inside trap plays as well as iso. Granted there are a lot of options off this series but almost everyone is running the basic same four plays.
Old 02-08-18, 06:13 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Poder's relationship with the youth program coaches and middle school coaches is intact. He definitely has traction for this reason.
Old 02-08-18, 09:56 PM
All Ohio

Than he is the man! Hire him.
Old 02-08-18, 10:37 PM
All Ohio

rghrider98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you are running the spread than its Jet sweep, read option series, and a couple inside trap plays as well as iso. Granted there are a lot of options off this series but almost everyone is running the basic same four plays.
That's highly inaccurate but to each their own.
Old 02-09-18, 07:21 AM
Freshman

High1978 is on a distinguished road
Word is a decision has been made and they are going with one of the external candidates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-18, 08:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by High1978 View Post
Word is a decision has been made and they are going with one of the external candidates

So, will post 2 be admitting you were wrong if and when it goes the other way?
Old 02-09-18, 12:07 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by High1978 View Post

I'm fine with this if they found a better candidate, but would have to hope that they will consider keeping Poder on.
Old 02-09-18, 12:34 PM
Freshman

Ohio Baller9999 is on a distinguished road
The three outside people all have college experience and administration really intrigued by that.
Old 02-09-18, 02:45 PM
All Ohio

Checked back in and I am hearing it’s an outside candidate that was not previously mentioned here’s. With college coaching experience. Sounds like some kind of U turn happened.
Old 02-09-18, 02:45 PM
All Ohio

Checked back in and I am hearing itís an outside candidate that was not previously mentioned hereís. With college coaching experience. Sounds like some kind of U turn happened.