Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-18-18, 01:36 PM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Not sure why anyone wants to hate on Claymont. They are D4 and went to a mostly D4/D5 league, they owe no explanation for doing what they think is best for their district.

I don't understand the mindset of talking junk cuz a school doesn't want to play up to D3 when they are D4 - Are the D3 schools ready to play D2? The IVC isn't weak - it is a smaller school league and shouldn't be expected to play with Dover or New Philly. And if Dover and New Philly are serious about being successful in the post season then they shouldn't want a struggling D4 school on the schedule anyway, unless they just looking for an easy win.

Each district must do what they feel is best for them. Each district will have different opportunities. Dover and New Philly should look forward to what they can make happen and create their own opportunity.

I floated a possible idea about them going to the Federal League earlier - however the OCC west/east looked just as strong. I guess it comes down to which way do those districts want to travel?
Old 01-18-18, 02:04 PM
All Ohio

ECOLace is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
Coshocton has won more playoff games than the entire IVC south combined. And Tusky Valley is a slouch, has been since the Martini years. Garaway and Ridgewood are pretenders. Indian Valley is the only real football team in that league.
One quality program compared to three, I’ll take it.

Hell, Garaway and Ridgewood have more playoff wins that New Philadelphia. Are the Quakers pretenders too by your definition?

Tusky Valley would be 3/4 small school ECOL schools most years, still consistently better than Meadowbrook, River View or Rosecrans.

And he’s bashing Claymont because they left the league and it’s falling apart.
Old 01-18-18, 02:34 PM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
I'd say Ridgewood has had a pretty good 15 year run and if not for Wheelersburg would probably have a few more playoff wins.
Old 01-18-18, 04:44 PM
All Ohio

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
I was disappointed Claymont just could not get it together in basketball or football,but since they could not they became a bad matchupso I am glad they are gone. Ironically they are getting smashed in basketball in the IVC,next football season will be interesting considering they lose so many.
As for Ridgewood, I think they are a darn tough football school, They have met Dover at the freshmen level and the Dover kids totally respect them Ridgewood can hit and they know how to play.
Old 01-18-18, 09:38 PM
All Ohio

ECOLace is on a distinguished road
Enjoy trying to find that elusive league Dover and Philly!
Old 01-18-18, 11:30 PM
All Region

teach1coach2 is on a distinguished road
You probably need to change your username to IVCace. (not meant as a knock on ECOLace)

Back to the ECOL topic, Zanesville and Logan's proposed new league requires about 7 schools to leave their current league. I can see the Ohio Capital Conference teams waiting until the next realignment to see where they would land before committing to leave. I can see New Philly and Dover landing a new league before Zanesville.

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.c...ies/935928001/
Old 01-19-18, 12:40 PM
All Region

Mr. General is on a distinguished road
Would love to see this:

OCC West- Sr High, Madison, Ashland, Lex, MV, Marion Harding
OCC East- Dover, New Philly, West Holmes, Wooster, Louisville, CCC

Do one crossover game. This leaves 4 non-conf games each season.
Old 01-19-18, 01:03 PM
All District

and I would love to see this:

ECOL Scarlet - Zanesville, Dover, New Phila, Tri-Valley, Steubenville
ECOL Gray - Marietta, Cambridge, Meadowbrook, Coshocton, River View

continue w/ 2 crossovers and 4 non-conference. Quit trying to break it up, make it better.
Old 01-19-18, 02:10 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. General View Post
Would love to see this:

OCC West- Sr High, Madison, Ashland, Lex, MV, Marion Harding
OCC East- Dover, New Philly, West Holmes, Wooster, Louisville, CCC

Do one crossover game. This leaves 4 non-conf games each season.
Glad to see you have had a change of heart about Louisville. This looks like a pretty solid conference.
Old 01-19-18, 02:18 PM
Junior Varsity

Quakerbacker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatQB View Post

continue w/ 2 crossovers and 4 non-conference. Quit trying to break it up, make it better.
Looks good other than the 2 crossovers. There isn't one team in the Scarlet that wants River View or Meadowbrook on their schedule. I don't think either of those two want any of the Scarlet's on their schedule. Marietta, River View and Meadowbrook all dropped Phila from their Middle School football schedule.

At this time if we could get the OCC to work as laid out above I believe Phila and dover would get pulled over for speeding trying to get to the meeting to sign the paperwork.
Old 01-19-18, 03:02 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakerbacker View Post
Looks good other than the 2 crossovers. There isn't one team in the Scarlet that wants River View or Meadowbrook on their schedule. I don't think either of those two want any of the Scarlet's on their schedule. Marietta, River View and Meadowbrook all dropped Phila from their Middle School football schedule.

At this time if we could get the OCC to work as laid out above I believe Phila and dover would get pulled over for speeding trying to get to the meeting to sign the paperwork.
True, I guess adding TV and Steub would constitute reducing to one crossover..and that would be difficult many times since nobody wants to play RV. RV really adds nothing to the league except soccer. I'd love for them to find a new home. I understand Marietta dropping middle school stuff because of travel but no reason the others should.
Old 01-19-18, 04:04 PM
All Ohio

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatQB View Post

Sounds good but I can not see TV leaving the MVL,they are pretty much unchallenged but managed to make the title game last season and have advanced pretty far on a few other occasions,add the current easy travel,I just can't imagine them leaving. I agree with you it would be an awesome league with great fan bases.
Old 01-20-18, 08:51 PM
All Region

Tri-Valley is not going anywhere. Should be D3 in football for several years just like almost half the MVL teams.
Old 01-22-18, 08:16 AM
All District

I know that TV isn't going anywhere, just responding to Mr. General saying what I'd like to see.
Old 01-22-18, 10:31 AM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Peeling MVL away is a pipe dream, ECOL had a crossover deal with them before Zanesville and Marietta came into the league and they cancelled after two years because they didn't win any of the games.
Old 01-22-18, 11:56 AM
Varsity

bob99 is on a distinguished road
Why not just add Dover and New Philadelphia to the Ohio Cardinal Conference. A nine team conference would be fine as long as you're adding two quality programs like Dover and New Philly. Week one a non-league game for everyone. You are then talking about having to schedule one out of league game each week for weeks 2-9. Should be doable.
Old 01-22-18, 12:11 PM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob99 View Post
Why not just add Dover and New Philadelphia to the Ohio Cardinal Conference. A nine team conference would be fine as long as you're adding two quality programs like Dover and New Philly. Week one a non-league game for everyone. You are then talking about having to schedule one out of league game each week for weeks 2-9. Should be doable.
scheduling a non-league in week 5-10 is rough. most teams are in conference play. Need 1 more to go with Dover and Philly to make it really work. (Shelby? Marion Harding?). Plus, I'm not sure most OCC schools are going to be too quick to sign up for the 90 minute drive east. Add a 10th school and split east/west and it might work better. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-22-18, 01:39 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
scheduling a non-league in week 5-10 is rough. most teams are in conference play. Need 1 more to go with Dover and Philly to make it really work. (Shelby? Marion Harding?). Plus, I'm not sure most OCC schools are going to be too quick to sign up for the 90 minute drive east. Add a 10th school and split east/west and it might work better. Just my 2 cents.
The seven teams in the OCC are already scheduling a non-league game in weeks 5-10. Going to a nine team league would help scheduling. I'm not a big fan of split leagues with crossover games.
Old 01-22-18, 01:42 PM
All American

bob what part are you not getting whether it is a 7 team league or a 9 team league there will be a floating bye week that someone will have to step up and take the bye for week 10 and a bye for week 9 and so on

so there is no motivation to go 9 it doesn't alleviate the problem, and schools want at least 3 OOC games to schedule.
Old 01-22-18, 01:52 PM
Varsity

That is the point. They have floating weeks now. Make it a nine team league and you only have two non-league games to schedule. That is better than the 4 they have now. Plus adding New Philly and Dover you have two more quality games on your schedule.
Old 01-22-18, 02:12 PM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
but non-league games in week 3 aren't that hard to find. That's all your plan adds for the current OCC members, at the cost of 2 schools 90 minutes away from most. (And they'd still have 3 to schedule...week 1,2, and floater)
Old 01-22-18, 02:12 PM
All American

that is the point

weeks 1-3 and maybe even week 4 - schools want the flexibility to play who they want.

There is nothing about finding a game weeks 5-10 that appeal to athletic directors.

Ideally the 9 team league or floating bye week is not looked upon as a positive.

Last edited by Football 101; 01-23-18 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-22-18, 02:14 PM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1coach2 View Post
Tri-Valley is not going anywhere. Should be D3 in football for several years just like almost half the MVL teams.
Tri-Valley and Dover moving to D2 for 2018.

http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports-Tourname...ol-Assignments
Old 01-22-18, 02:17 PM
Varsity

I guess for me if it came down to staying with the 7 teams in the OCC like they have now or going to 9 teams (and those are you're only choices) I would do the nine team league.
I would love having New Philly and Dover on the schedule every year.
Old 01-22-18, 08:25 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1coach2 View Post
Yep, it caught me by surprise that TV moved up. Between the competitive balance changes and the schools ineligible for post season play next year due to not fielding enough varsity sports, TV went from a big 3 to a small 2. I am guessing when the next enrollment comes out they will be D3 the year after.
Old 01-22-18, 08:46 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
Peeling MVL away is a pipe dream, ECOL had a crossover deal with them before Zanesville and Marietta came into the league and they cancelled after two years because they didn't win any of the games.
Besides a bad memory you are re-inventing the past. I was in the room when the 7 ECOL schools and 7 northern (all but Morgan and Crooksville) MVL schools met in 2007 to put the deal together. It was a 4 year deal from 2009-2012. The schools even talked about how the match ups would likely change the 4 years following. Then the ECOL expanded to 10 schools starting in 2011. They asked for the deal to be cut short 2 years and the MVL said no. The ECOL made it clear it was done with the cross league games after 2012. The ECOL ended a good thing.

Here were the results:
MVL won this overall series 15-13 (4-3 ECOL in 2009, 5-2 MVL in 2010, 4-3 ECOL in 2011, 4-3 MVL in 2012).

This deal has worked out pretty well for each league. Only Meadowbrook and John Glenn went winless in this deal.

Wk 4: Tri Valley - Dover (Series tie 2-2)
Wk 5: Cambridge - Sheridan (Sheridan 3-1)
Wk 6: New Lexington - Meadowbrook (New Lexington 4-0)
Wk 7: Coshocton - Maysville (Coshocton 3-1)
Wk 8: Philo - River View (Philo 3-1)
Wk 9: New Philadelphia - John Glenn (New Philadelphia 4-0)
Wk10: West Muskingum - Claymont (Series tie 2-2)

After the deal was over, John Glenn-Cambridge and New Lex-Coshocton were able to set up what would have been part of the new match ups.
Old 01-22-18, 08:52 PM
All Region

The MVL has been a 9 team league for the past 13 years. It is a pain to get non-league games weeks 5-10 if you draw names out of a hat and go get the best game you can.

It works better if you have all the teams hunt for week 10 and the first to find it, let it get scheduled. Then go to week 9 and so on until there is a non-league game each week (1 per team weeks 2-10). Then do the league schedule around it.
Old 01-23-18, 06:50 PM
All District

Malabar10 is on a distinguished road
The OCC has a major meeting with the Superintendents, Principals and ADs to figure out what road the league in going to take. Expansion or stay pat with 7 for the near future. Stay tuned for info when I have it. Adding 1 team to 8, adding 3, teams and going 5 east and west, or 5teams and going 6/6
Old 01-24-18, 12:18 PM
All District

So when MVL expands soon to include Cambridge, Coshocton and Meadowbrook they will divide into two divisions?

Large

Tri Valley (DII 376)
Sheridan (D III 299)
Maysville (D III 281)
John Glenn (D IV 262)
Philo (D IV 242)
Cambridge (D IV 234)

Small

New Lexington (D IV 231)
Morgan (D IV 218)
Meadowbrook (D V 210)
West Muskingum (D V 172)
Coshocton (D V 170)
Crooksville (D VI 134)

5 division games and 2 crossovers. This would have been a done deal a few years ago if they would have went Large/Small..
Old 01-24-18, 12:20 PM
All American

is this speculation

or is this happening LOL