Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-18, 08:06 AM
Moderated User

Dee Lou Chanel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
Parents don't get to dictate staffing decisions. The problem is the parents thinking they get to run the school, they don't. All you have to do is look at the situation in Solon to see what destruction overbearing parents can bring. Sorry if this seens harsh but, as a parent your job is to drop off and pick up your little Johnny. It is to come to games and cheer for your little Johnny and his team. It is to be a positive supporter of him win lose or draw. You do not get to decide playing time or coaching matters.
Two totally different animals. The last two coaches and same staff allowed and covered up thefts, vandalism, bullying, pot smokers just from what I heard last Saturday night. The same kids with 15 yard penalties after 15 yard penalties. No accountability. So bad that the last game of the year was called with about two minutes left vs Chagrin due to the actions of WG players. Parents have a right to be concerned if little Johnny is dropped off and picked up in a toxic environment. Why would they support that? Has nothing to do with playing time! Boedicker will command respect as a football coach, but as the AD he needs to find a way to keep other boys and girls from bolting.
Old 01-29-18, 08:34 AM
All Yappi

perry1480 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rghrider98 View Post
Massillon Perry
As I watch this unfold my worlds are colliding. Boedicker coached at Perry (Massillon) for three or four seasons and had a less than average record. Though he is a tough coach, he needs athletes to do what he does well. Contrast that with who we have now... an even tougher coach who doesnít need a ton of athletes to do what he does well.

My wife is a West G alumni and her brothers all played for Rosati back in the day.

I think there are athletes at West G, and I think this guy would be good for the program as an outsider looking in. Parents and administrators need to look at last year. What qualified candidate showed up? Your best choice was a guy that went 1-9 the previous season. Who else is beating down the door?

In my opinion it canít get any worse. Boedicker is a good risk at this point.
Old 01-31-18, 09:30 AM
Junior Varsity

50Hybrid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry1480 View Post
As I watch this unfold my worlds are colliding. Boedicker coached at Perry (Massillon) for three or four seasons and had a less than average record. Though he is a tough coach, he needs athletes to do what he does well. Contrast that with who we have now... an even tougher coach who doesnít need a ton of athletes to do what he does well.

My wife is a West G alumni and her brothers all played for Rosati back in the day.

I think there are athletes at West G, and I think this guy would be good for the program as an outsider looking in. Parents and administrators need to look at last year. What qualified candidate showed up? Your best choice was a guy that went 1-9 the previous season. Who else is beating down the door?

In my opinion it canít get any worse. Boedicker is a good risk at this point.
Boedicker will get those out of control kids in check and tell all of those parents to not talk to him and will do very well in that mediocre league.
Old 01-31-18, 04:54 PM
Freshman

WolverineGuy is on a distinguished road
If they did offer Boedicker, than he just turned the job down this week. They have hired a new AD who has had much success at other schools. I worked for him at Independence where he was for at least 14 years. Coaches had no help from the administration from what I have been told from sources. The administration never suspended the players for incidents that happened until weeks after so neither did the coach. Whole administration needs to go. And anyone on here who thinks West G parents donít control the school you are sadly mistaken. Administration is scared of parents and will do whatever they want to an extent. Failing a school levy for a ďrespectfulĒ district like West Geauga is unheard of. Schools need lot of help.
Old 01-31-18, 05:26 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineGuy View Post
If they did offer Boedicker, than he just turned the job down this week. They have hired a new AD who has had much success at other schools. I worked for him at Independence where he was for at least 14 years. Coaches had no help from the administration from what I have been told from sources. The administration never suspended the players for incidents that happened until weeks after so neither did the coach. Whole administration needs to go. And anyone on here who thinks West G parents donít control the school you are sadly mistaken. Administration is scared of parents and will do whatever they want to an extent. Failing a school levy for a ďrespectfulĒ district like West Geauga is unheard of. Schools need lot of help.
Just got an email from a WG parent saying Boedicker bailed on Monday. She and another group of parents had already applied to NDCL and Lake. And I'm not just talking football players. Two really good multisport kids from good families and with excellent grades. What a shame.
Old 01-31-18, 05:29 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Hybrid View Post
Boedicker will get those out of control kids in check and tell all of those parents to not talk to him and will do very well in that mediocre league.

I guess he was not up to the challenge of coach or AD. Mediocre? Yeah Kirtland, Perry and Cuyahoga Hts are pretty mediocre.....
Old 01-31-18, 05:50 PM
Freshman

The kids left on the team are awesome. The senior class had problems because Lou never disciplined them for any action. The underclass man are an amazing group of kids so no head coach coming in had to take on “awful kids” who are in need of discipline. All the attitude and “bad apples” are graduating now. The next head coach as long as the administration doesn’t throw him in grenades when parents are angry is set up to be very successful.
Old 01-31-18, 09:04 PM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
And what is the talent level in the program now? How were the 8th grade, frosh and jv teams? This is a program that for the last twenty years has been very respectable and has decent facilities. In the league they should be a favorite most years against everyone other than Perry. It should be a decent job.
Old 01-31-18, 10:32 PM
Varsity

buno67 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
And what is the talent level in the program now? How were the 8th grade, frosh and jv teams? This is a program that for the last twenty years has been very respectable and has decent facilities. In the league they should be a favorite most years against everyone other than Perry. It should be a decent job.
The conference should come down to Perry, Chagrin Falls, and West G every year.
Old 02-01-18, 07:09 AM
All Region

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Hybrid View Post
From what I've seen, the out of control kids were all seniors this year anyways. They've been problems for years. Whoever the coach is won't have the same problems regardless.
Old 02-01-18, 07:12 AM
All Region

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself. There are problems from the top down at West G. Administration needs to go. In that community, athletics and academics should both be top notch. Seems like there's a disconnect between admin and coaches big time. Forcing out 2 coaches and an AD because they're scared of parents and the community. Do your job
Old 02-01-18, 04:16 PM
Freshman

[QUOTE=fbrox;6976582]And what is the talent level in the program now? How were the 8th grade, frosh and jv teams? This is a program that for the last twenty years has been very respectable and has decent facilities. In the league they should be a favorite most years against everyone other than Perry. It should be a decent job.

Jv lost once to kirtland. Freshman lost twice. Combined record between both teams were 14-2. The jv and freshman staff were mostly younger coaches this year. One was a first time coach. The other has been coaching for maybe a couple of years. The varsity staff was at almost every game. I know the head coach and both coordinators were there as often as they could be. The core is set for the long haul. The ďcancerĒ is off the team now and this group of kids can go far. I thought the staff was fine last year and they did what they could to try and weather a storm that the administration created. The administration did t take action against the students so why would he coaches suspend kids. Tired of people putting this on the staff that was there. There is a big disconnect from the administration and they do not give any type of support to coaches at the school. Only time they show up to talk to kids or coaching staff is if a parent called angry. What a joke.
Old 02-01-18, 11:04 PM
Varsity

Bad Blake is on a distinguished road
They were unable to field a freshman team for much of the season so it’s not all blue skies.

Did the 2 families transferring to private schools have older brothers come through the program?
Old 02-02-18, 07:11 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Blake View Post
They were unable to field a freshman team for much of the season so itís not all blue skies.

Did the 2 families transferring to private schools have older brothers come through the program?
I know for a fact they had a freshman team the entire season. Not sure where you're hearing this. Many times, other schools have injuries, kids quit, etc so they are forced to cancel or reschedule games. Freshman teams are always a crap shoot with schools in lower divisions. And yes, all coaches were at most of the JV and Frosh games helping coach the kids up, not just the one or 2 coaches there. The JV lost I think one game to Kirtland (whose JV teams looked almost like a low level varsity team at times) and the freshmen were good too. There is a good future at West G as long as parents don't bolt and take there kids elsewhere. It's a shame that poor administration is driving parents away from a great community
Old 02-02-18, 09:33 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
I know for a fact they had a freshman team the entire season. Not sure where you're hearing this. Many times, other schools have injuries, kids quit, etc so they are forced to cancel or reschedule games. Freshman teams are always a crap shoot with schools in lower divisions. And yes, all coaches were at most of the JV and Frosh games helping coach the kids up, not just the one or 2 coaches there. The JV lost I think one game to Kirtland (whose JV teams looked almost like a low level varsity team at times) and the freshmen were good too. There is a good future at West G as long as parents don't bolt and take there kids elsewhere. It's a shame that poor administration is driving parents away from a great community
I saw the freshmen play NDCL and both teams filled in with JV players because of low freshmen numbers. The JV game vs NDCL had a lot of juniors playing. I guess you need to ask how the SR class that went 3-7 did as a JV team. Pretty good from what I was told. JV football is not an indicator of a Varsity team. One of the WG parents told me the Sr class crushed Kenston as a JV team. What happened this year?
Old 02-02-18, 09:40 AM
Freshman

chestrockwell is on a distinguished road
heard they were bringing Coach Calhoun back for a third interview.
he looks impressive has coached football, wrestling, track, baseball and gymnastics.
he is a phys ed teacher and also heard he been in a few movies. wg will be set.
anybody else know him?

wg new motto - "set the bar very low that way you won't trip over it"
Old 02-02-18, 10:15 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
I know for a fact they didnít have a freshman team week 1. Chardon has to play Elyria or Medina or something.
Old 02-02-18, 10:27 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Lou Chanel View Post
I saw the freshmen play NDCL and both teams filled in with JV players because of low freshmen numbers. The JV game vs NDCL had a lot of juniors playing. I guess you need to ask how the SR class that went 3-7 did as a JV team. Pretty good from what I was told. JV football is not an indicator of a Varsity team. One of the WG parents told me the Sr class crushed Kenston as a JV team. What happened this year?
Agreed. you can't say that because a JV or freshman team had success that they will be good on varsity. If you're good enough to play varsity as a frosh/soph, you should be playing. West G had a freshman playing varsity week 7 and the rest of the weeks. He was the JV running back and was running past everyone. I don't believe he played on the freshman team much. The groups of kids change as they move up.

There are a lot of D3 and lower schools that play with 10th graders on the freshman team so they can get games. It's not an uncommon thing. Not having 3 games a week can kill a program. Nothing wrong with playing a few lower level sophs on a the freshman team once in a while.
Old 02-02-18, 10:29 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Blake View Post
I know for a fact they didnít have a freshman team week 1. Chardon has to play Elyria or Medina or something.
West G never cancelled it then because they had a team. I believe it was cancelled before the season even began. Someone just commented that they saw the freshman team play the very next week against NDCL, so I'm not sure what happened then
Old 02-02-18, 11:40 AM
Varsity

He also commented that the JV players were playing in that freshman game due to low numbers. I donít really care what West G does but to start a season so low on numbers that you canít play a freshman game does not paint quite as bright of a picture as was previously stated. I hope they get a good coach
Old 02-02-18, 11:40 AM
Moderated User

Westgbooster is on a distinguished road
Iím hearing the next coach is down to 3 strong ( in administrations eyes) candidates.
1) coach Calhoun from the movie grease. Multi sport coach
2) Bozo the Clown. So the team can ride the short bus
3) Kramer from Seinfeld. He once watched a game of football on tv

Seriously West Geauga hired there last coach in March or April fired him in October of the same year
To get a jump on getting a premium coach this time around
Well itís February and they just found out the Coach they hired quit before he even started
What in the world is going on? No wonder the school levy failed. Itís total baffonery going on . Who is doing the interviews? LARRY CURLY AND MOE? It cannot be that difficult.
Cmon West Geauga is better than this.
Old 02-02-18, 02:22 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westgbooster View Post
As it should be! But the current staff let those kids down, and parents have long memories, Just replacing a head coach and keeping that Lazy, unmotivated staff would be a disgrace to the community. I am done with the program but others that have kids. I understand why they left and just putting lipstick on a pig is still a pig! Boedicker is a man I was told that and a great coach but after the total embarrassment of this past year. Keeping anyone from that past staff is a deal breaker for me! I will go watch other community games. Personal fouls, penalties, short practices, fighting,stealing,no weight lifting, kids cheap shots, no blocking if play was not to the kid, film study was a joke, no motivation from coaches, it looked like every coach was in it for a check. I really hope Boedicker turns it around but he needs to change the culture. And you donít do that by keeping the current culture! I wish Boedicker the best!
The former AD, before resigning, told parents flat out he wanted a clean slate when it came to the staff. Add hanging out with kids away from football, no interest in your best 3-8th graders playing in another community, and the aforementioned frat boy reputation instilled by the former coach and there is no way any of those guys should be back. Craemer and staff did the least amount of work they had to with that program. Boedicker would have cleaned house. Culture change is needed after all the garbage posted above. No way should any of those involved be back. Parents are embarrassed. Wolverineguy is the only parent I heard that would consider that. Check out Facebook, people are furious. WG Booster is spot on... start fresh.
Old 02-02-18, 02:48 PM
All Region

Quote:
The former AD, before resigning, told parents flat out he wanted a clean slate when it came to the staff. Add hanging out with kids away from football, no interest in your best 3-8th graders playing in another community, and the aforementioned frat boy reputation instilled by the former coach and there is no way any of those guys should be back. Craemer and staff did the least amount of work they had to with that program. Boedicker would have cleaned house. Culture change is needed after all the garbage posted above. No way should any of those involved be back. Parents are embarrassed. Wolverineguy is the only parent I heard that would consider that. Check out Facebook, people are furious. WG Booster is spot on... start fresh.
Facebook link?
Old 02-02-18, 03:39 PM
Freshman

I donít necessarily agree that you say this coaching staff was unmotivated. The amount of prep work they did is more than most schools. They had every aspect broke down but this precious culture from Cirino led henkids to not even look at scouting reports and have a complete lack of respect for it. I had seen coaches there at 7am Saturday after a game and work until late afternoon breaking down everything. I have seen that first hand so anyone out here saying that the staff doesnít care is ridiculous. Most of the guys were West G grads, so why would those guys not put their effort forward for the school that they went to and true community they grew up in. Anyone who hasnít coached varsity football will never understand the daily work and game planning that goes on. I have coached for numerous years and it doesnít get easier as the years go by. Anyone who coaches a sport in high school, coaches for the love of the game and wanting to help kids. If you ask anyone who coaches varsity sports, ďdo you do it for the money ?Ē Everyone would laugh at you in the face then ask ďare you seriousĒ.
Old 02-02-18, 07:10 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
I donít necessarily agree that you say this coaching staff was unmotivated. The amount of prep work they did is more than most schools. They had every aspect broke down but this precious culture from Cirino led henkids to not even look at scouting reports and have a complete lack of respect for it. I had seen coaches there at 7am Saturday after a game and work until late afternoon breaking down everything. I have seen that first hand so anyone out here saying that the staff doesnít care is ridiculous. Most of the guys were West G grads, so why would those guys not put their effort forward for the school that they went to and true community they grew up in. Anyone who hasnít coached varsity football will never understand the daily work and game planning that goes on. I have coached for numerous years and it doesnít get easier as the years go by. Anyone who coaches a sport in high school, coaches for the love of the game and wanting to help kids. If you ask anyone who coaches varsity sports, ďdo you do it for the money ?Ē Everyone would laugh at you in the face then ask ďare you seriousĒ.
1)Whose fault is it if the kids do not look or follow the game plan? As a coach I would demand that or you are OUT. You let kids dictate the going ons of the team?!? Who is the coach and who is the player?

2)If they spent that much time on game tape, how were they so badly outcoached at the games I went to. I would question the supposed time spent when everyone else said the coach ended practices early and did the least he had to. No effort by him even though he was flat out told about his youth program and bad kids. Weak argument.

3)just because you went to HS at WG doesn't make you care more or less than a Boedicker or anyone else from the outside. Hanging out with your players and looking the other way is grounds for termination in most programs. No way you can defend what those coaches let happen on their watch and just blame kids.

4) I'm sure you're friends with the staff. That's fine. They had their chance. Most every parent is fed up. Time to move on. The fraternity party is over.
Old 02-02-18, 11:36 PM
Freshman

Quote:
1)Whose fault is it if the kids do not look or follow the game plan? As a coach I would demand that or you are OUT. You let kids dictate the going ons of the team?!? Who is the coach and who is the player?

2)If they spent that much time on game tape, how were they so badly outcoached at the games I went to. I would question the supposed time spent when everyone else said the coach ended practices early and did the least he had to. No effort by him even though he was flat out told about his youth program and bad kids. Weak argument.

3)just because you went to HS at WG doesn't make you care more or less than a Boedicker or anyone else from the outside. Hanging out with your players and looking the other way is grounds for termination in most programs. No way you can defend what those coaches let happen on their watch and just blame kids.

4) I'm sure you're friends with the staff. That's fine. They had their chance. Most every parent is fed up. Time to move on. The fraternity party is over.

Find out why boedicker turned the job. I know whyíd tom his assistant but if you think you knew so much about this program and are speaking for every parent then Iím curious. Select parents were unhappy and it was because their kids got done varsity time and saw it diminish. Have you coached before deelouchanel? If not, then you have no business saying anything about how a program is ran. I had four head coaches in four years in high school. This graduating senior class had problems dating back to Lou, but if Craemer and this staff had s full year with underclassman this whole situation would be much different. Kids on the team did read the scouting report and practice hard. Would you be singing a different song if seniors were benched and the team went 0-10. I doubt it. You would still be saying the staff was stupid.
Old 02-03-18, 12:31 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Find out why boedicker turned the job. I know whyíd tom his assistant but if you think you knew so much about this program and are speaking for every parent then Iím curious. Select parents were unhappy and it was because their kids got done varsity time and saw it diminish. Have you coached before deelouchanel? If not, then you have no business saying anything about how a program is ran. I had four head coaches in four years in high school. This graduating senior class had problems dating back to Lou, but if Craemer and this staff had s full year with underclassman this whole situation would be much different. Kids on the team did read the scouting report and practice hard. Would you be singing a different song if seniors were benched and the team went 0-10. I doubt it. You would still be saying the staff was stupid.
Coached for over a decade...and have been around winning programs. I know quite a few WG kids and parents. Itís okay if youíre in the minority, just ask around. Let me guess, your one of these guys who applied for the job and would keep the staff if it meant being head coach and playing your kid. Very transparent...good luck!
Old 02-03-18, 10:02 AM
Freshman

I never would have applied for the job with the administration situation. I currently coach elsewhere and never would go to West g in its current state. I have been a part of winning programs and still am. I would never pull the string of playing my kid because itís my kid. For a head coach, you can say your building great character and kids, still comes to getting Wís. People that apply for the job are insane. They had all top five candidates turn them down last year which is why they called Craemer out of desperation. Once again they had three guys turn the job down already. No one wants to coach here, and can you blame people. Most are taking a pay cut especially with the levy that didnít pass. Go Lions!
Old 02-03-18, 11:21 AM
Varsity

Publican is on a distinguished road
I taught and coached at West G in the late 70's. It was a great experience. Bob Quackenbush was the head coach, Donnie Anderson was the offensive coordinator. We had great teams a solid supportive administration and great community support. Its a shame the this situation has apparently deteriorated so much.
Old 02-03-18, 12:09 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
I never would have applied for the job with the administration situation. I currently coach elsewhere and never would go to West g in its current state. I have been a part of winning programs and still am. I would never pull the string of playing my kid because itís my kid. For a head coach, you can say your building great character and kids, still comes to getting Wís. People that apply for the job are insane. They had all top five candidates turn them down last year which is why they called Craemer out of desperation. Once again they had three guys turn the job down already. No one wants to coach here, and can you blame people. Most are taking a pay cut especially with the levy that didnít pass. Go Lions!

My bad Wolverineguy, I thought with your user name, inside knowledge of practice, the coaches schedule of watching film, knowing the exact record of freshmen and JV teams, knowing the staff is WG graduates, knowledge of "the amazing kids" and kids who are a "cancer", and Coach Cirino and his culture...led me to surmise you are a WG parent. Evidently you are a fan of NDCL, Orange or both. Go Lions indeed!

If Cirino's culture was so bad, and the present staff was there, how can you say they are good? Read some of the things people mentioned in this thread. If half of it is true then there really is no argument IMO. It was all "Lou" and this horrrible class? I guess the staff had no influence on the team (who would want a staff like that?). So it was all Craemer, Cirino and the kids. I guess we agree to disagree...I will trust what the WG parents tell me and you can trust your sources.
Closed Thread