Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-19-18, 02:53 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
Let's not forget that Chillicothe was once a member of the OCC. I can't see any of the current OCC members taking off for that league.

Lancaster is probably the closest, and that league would be suicide for them from a Harbins perspective.
They probably want Logan Elm and Circleville
Old 01-25-18, 06:57 PM
All Region

sportfan97 is on a distinguished road
Was told by a very reliable source that the Lancaster Athletic Department will be making a major announcement in the very near future....could it be about conference realignment or them going to a whole new conference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-18, 07:51 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfan97 View Post
Was told by a very reliable source that the Lancaster Athletic Department will be making a major announcement in the very near future...
The Lancaster athletic department is reaching an agreement with the Fairview Inn to cover the tabs of the officials for next year's football games.
Old 01-25-18, 07:54 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
The Lancaster athletic department is reaching an agreement with the Fairview Inn to cover the tabs of the officials for next year's football games.

Lol...maybe. But they just announced on twitter that they are upgrading Fulton Field with Field Turf for an estimated $875,000.

Old 01-26-18, 09:20 AM
Junior Varsity

thedudeabides is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post

Coldest Beer in the county!!
Old 01-26-18, 09:22 AM
Junior Varsity

0-16gobrowns is on a distinguished road
And they will ď STILL ď lose to Pick Central !!

Old 01-26-18, 01:45 PM
Junior Varsity

Where did they find field turf in an 8.5" cut?

(Anybody that has ever played there knows they leave the grass extree extree long, especially when fast teams are coming in) .

Just breakin balls here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 1.44.00 PM.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	2082  
Old 01-27-18, 07:48 AM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Never quite understood the notion that slower teams with grass fields let it grow longer if a faster teams comes in as a means to " lessen the speed advantage .

So are you saying that the faster team gets slower with the longer grass ,. but the slow team stays the same speed wise?

The slower team also loses some of their " speed" as well don't they ? isn't it relative ? Same speed gap will exist , although the game might be a quarter step or so slower if played in a jungle I suppose . But the faster team still has that advantage
Old 01-27-18, 08:01 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Never quite understood the notion that slower teams with grass fields let it grow longer if a faster teams comes in as a means to " lessen the speed advantage .

So are you saying that the faster team gets slower with the longer grass ,. but the slow team stays the same speed wise?

The slower team also loses some of their " speed" as well don't they ? isn't it relative ? Same speed gap will exist , although the game might be a quarter step or so slower if played in a jungle I suppose . But the faster team still has that advantage

Lancasterís grass was always longer based on the type of grass and the fact that the field held up better with Lancasterís Varsity,JV, and Freshman teams in addition to Fisher Catholic playing their home games on the field. If they didnít keep it longer and thicker it wouldnít make it to week 5 every year. I think it being longer might be more mental on opposing teams than anything.

The bigger advantage Lancaster will be losing is the crown in the field. Receivers running crossing routes had to run up hill for half the route. Iím sure it took a few series to get timing adjusted for the QBís...lol

Old 01-27-18, 10:10 AM
All Region

Walt is on a distinguished road
The thinking is that high grass makes the “faster” team play slower or slower than they’re used to, so it throws them off their game more than the slower team. Same thing applies to a wet/sloppy field. How many times in the past have we seen faster/more talented teams lose to inferior teams or play closer than expected on a sloppy field.

The funny thing is, there are Pickerington Central fans bitching about the height of Lancaster’s grass. Our grass (when we have grass) is always higher than optimal. I know we’ve only lost 4 or 5 games at home in the past 15 years, but I believe we’ve looked/played better on turf. If Central ever gets turf (big if) then watch out!

And yes... Lancaster’s crown messes with QBs early in the game, sometimes longer. You see a lot of over throws to sideline routes.
Old 01-27-18, 01:47 PM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
the grass team turf team dynamic I get , but the actual speed of the game and disparity isn't determined by the grass height level, I will agree the crown will be an issue for a bit for the away team .

Yes I agree bad weather is a talent equalizer , games tend to stay closer for longer on bad tracks, definite advantage to the lesser talented team as both team often have trouble moving it .
Old 01-29-18, 07:56 AM
Junior Varsity

Well, it was meant as a joke....but . O.K......
Old 01-31-18, 08:10 PM
All District

The Matic is on a distinguished road
New League

Decision on the new league will be made by May! Looks like.....Logan, Lancaster, Reynoldsburg, Newark, CW, Groveport, Teays Valley, Watkins M, Zanesville, WHitehall, and Licking Heights all in the mix. Could be a nice league (all sports considering).
Old 01-31-18, 08:15 PM
Junior Varsity

0-16gobrowns is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Matic View Post
Decision on the new league will be made by May! Looks like.....Logan, Lancaster, Reynoldsburg, Newark, CW, Groveport, Teays Valley, Watkins M, Zanesville, WHitehall, and Licking Heights all in the mix. Could be a nice league (all sports considering).

Nice league ? Are you kidding ??!?! Lancaster and Reynoldsburg will dominate every sport for once. That is a joke of a league. Lancaster and Reynoldsburg canít stand getting beat every year by Pickerington Central. So they get the weak teams and decide to form a league that they can dominate. Will lose all respect if this happens.

Old 01-31-18, 09:37 PM
Varsity

gcfqn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-16gobrowns View Post
Nice league ? Are you kidding ??!?! Lancaster and Reynoldsburg will dominate every sport for once. That is a joke of a league. Lancaster and Reynoldsburg canít stand getting beat every year by Pickerington Central. So they get the weak teams and decide to form a league that they can dominate. Will lose all respect if this happens.

Hold on! Those two would be looking up at Newark in boys and girls basketball. Maybe even Zanesville.
Old 01-31-18, 09:48 PM
Varsity

Some thoughts... Would such a league doom the LCL if Watkins and Licking Heights leave? I heard a rumor that the LCL (remainder) wanted to merge with the MVL. Don't think that will happen.

I think the OCC will survive losing five teams. They can just cut one division and consolidate a bit.

Have to wait and see how this plays out. It would be hard to believe that Newark's basketball coaches would be for such a league. They were against the last OCC realignment that took them away from the Pics.
Old 01-31-18, 10:46 PM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
I don't see Lancaster, Newark and Reynoldsburg leaving. The others might be possible. Watkins and Heights are bigger schools in the LCL and could use more Harbin points with bigger schools. CW and Groveport have been overmatched. Logan and Zanesville need a viable league. TV and Whitehall may opt for a more competitive league. So, I don't see a large number of schools jumping in. Six is my guess. And there might be others putting out feelers since people know who is under discussion. Might be surprised to get league of 8.
Old 02-01-18, 07:54 AM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
Zanesville need a viable league? I guess you're right since they are an average team in ECOL, may as well go be average somewhere else.
Old 02-01-18, 10:26 AM
All American

LOL. Since you want to trash a program that over its history has been a winning one ( including over Cambridge who is awful at times), I'll restate it -- viable as in Logan has no league and needs one and Zanesville needs one that's more stable, not out in the sticks, and closer to metro Columbus for better exposure , competition and Harbin cows. The ECOL is falling apart, not all that competitive and has many of its members looking for new homes.
Old 02-01-18, 11:59 AM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
Not trashing at all, just stating facts. ECOL is falling apart because it added Zville in the first place. Better exposure for what? Sticks, that's funny coming from a Logan supporter. Marietta, New Phila, Dover, Cambridge..lots of sticks in the scarlet division. Cambridge has been awful and will continue to be so until culture changes, I have no problem admitting that.
Old 02-01-18, 05:26 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatQB View Post
Not trashing at all, just stating facts. ECOL is falling apart because it added Zville in the first place. Better exposure for what? Sticks, that's funny coming from a Logan supporter. Marietta, New Phila, Dover, Cambridge..lots of sticks in the scarlet division. Cambridge has been awful and will continue to be so until culture changes, I have no problem admitting that.

Logan is the definition of the Hicks. One high school for the entire county.

I would say that Cambridge, Marietta, New Philadelphia, and Dover are in the Sticks too

I think what Paladin was getting at is if Zanesville would play larger schools with better competition in the Central Ohio region their player would get better exposure for recruiting. Which is also a big argument by some for Lancaster not leaving the OCC.

Lancaster, Newark, Zanesville as recent as 25 years ago were in the same conference. And were for many years before that as well. The interesting thing between those cityís is Lancaster and Newark continue grow in population but Zanesville continues decrease.

Old 02-01-18, 05:39 PM
All American

That's correct , sports fan. Exposure for recruiting, with a larger media market, as well as post season honors, etc, all feed into a more stable environment and advantages for their athletes. Zanesville - Newark was a huge rivalry. At one time , so was Lancaster . I don't see Lancaster, Newark or Reynoldsburg leaving the OCC, but the rest are certainly possible members of a new league.
Old 02-01-18, 06:38 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Lancaster may have hung their basketball program out to dry when they stated that they considered a new league for "competitive" reasons. All of the other sports could very well win this hypothetical league year-in and year-out, but basketball is still going to be atrociously bad. And the worst part is, and this is what the coaches and athletic department at LHS have surely mulled over lately, leaving the OCC means you can't use the tired "we play in the toughest league in Ohio" excuse anymore for boys basketball.

If the basketball program wasn't at the bottom of the barrel of the OCC-Ohio for the past nine - going on ten - years, we're not having this discussion of Lancaster leaving the OCC(-Ohio.) Full stop. The powers-that-be at LHS realized that their boys basketball program won't be competitive for at least the next three-to-four years because, despite the fact that Kent Riggs is a great coach, their entire basketball program in grades 3-8 operates in such a screwed up way that kids aren't actually developing skills or fundamentals and there is almost no AAU/OYB participation within the system. Very rarely does Lancaster lose kids to other schools for sports, but the one sport they do miss out on kids is basketball. And thus, you have a community who is very dissatisfied with the basketball program's lack of success. The leadership at LHS means well, but they're steering the bus toward a cliff on the basketball topic by acting as if changing leagues solves all of the problems with the program.
Old 02-01-18, 11:15 PM
Varsity

When Jack Greathouse was in charge the Gales were a force.
Old 02-02-18, 06:50 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcfqn View Post
When Jack Greathouse was in charge the Gales were a force.

Jack understood the importance of the youth programs for the development of his basketball program. My 5th grade year playing basketball for North Elementary was one of Jacks first years coaching at Lancaster. He knew the names of all us kids in the Youth programs and attended all of our Saturday morning games and would come into the locker rooms to congratulate us on a good game. As a 10 year old I wanted to play for him on the Gale Force. Another thing he made sure he always had were 2 freshman teams to help develop the younger high school players.

I do believe Luke Truex has the Gale Force Academy headed in the right direction. Itís going to take some time but I think they will be a good program again in the future.

Old 02-02-18, 06:58 AM
All Region

If Lancaster would in fact leave the OCC for another conference (and thatís a big IF) i see them at least continuing to play Pickerington Central in non conference matchups.

If I were Central I would be completely ok with this too. It would be an early season game that Central would win most times for at least the near future. Then the odds of Lancaster finishing the season every year with 7-8 wins would be a great benefit to Central for computer points.

I also believe that with the right non conference matchups Lancaster could see the playoffs more frequently even playing schools from lower divisions in conference match ups. They wouldnít be limping into a playoff game after playing Central/North/Gahanna/Reynoldsburg back to back at the end of the season every year.

Old 02-03-18, 04:13 PM
All American

hdvhsmgr is on a distinguished road
OCC realignment vote scheduled.
http://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/2...vote-scheduled
Old 02-03-18, 04:25 PM
All Region

Walt is on a distinguished road
Pick Central will end up with 20 straight OCC titles if they go with this alignment...
Old 02-03-18, 04:37 PM
All Ohio

PicktownBandDad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Pick Central will end up with 20 straight OCC titles if they go with this alignment...
I hate this from a Pick Central point of view.

Groveport and Newark offer little to no Level 2 Harbins for the Tigers.

Last edited by PicktownBandDad; 02-03-18 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Change in wording.
Old 02-03-18, 07:38 PM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Probably a conservative estimate.