Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-19-18, 09:50 PM
All District

FormerRef is on a distinguished road
FirsT they tried to get a Grip on a coach. SSecond guy would have blown up Yappi. Third was wisky guy whose wife's job kept them there. FouRRth guy was a former panther. All were offered but turned it down after a few days thought. Many different reasons but that is why it took so long. I am hopeful for the new guy. Hopefully he instills a new culture.
Old 01-20-18, 04:58 PM
Varsity

SW FB Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRef View Post
FirsT they tried to get a Grip on a coach. SSecond guy would have blown up Yappi. Third was wisky guy whose wife's job kept them there. FouRRth guy was a former panther. All were offered but turned it down after a few days thought. Many different reasons but that is why it took so long. I am hopeful for the new guy. Hopefully he instills a new culture.
I feel Schneider would have been a good choice. More than paid a price for the reasons given for letting him go.
Old 01-22-18, 08:44 AM
Junior Varsity

BiasedObserver07 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW FB Fan View Post
I feel Schneider would have been a good choice. More than paid a price for the reasons given for letting him go.
Not sure he was ever seriously considered.

FormerRef hit the head on the nail for the four candidates that I heard. As he mentioned, all had various reasons for saying no -- some more legitimate than others. But all had serious conversations about taking the job.

I'm hopeful that Hopkins will instill a sense of urgency in the program. He may not be the big name that people thought Lebanon may get; and not nearly close to the name of one of the candidates interviewed and offered. That said, I wish the best for him. He needs to recruit Lebanon High hard and get some of the athletes that weren't previously playing on the field. And, he needs to go to the junior high and sell his soul to keep a certain 8th grader.
Old 01-22-18, 11:02 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
It's going to be interesting to see the support he gets from fellow staff. Many who've spent years in the district aren't happy an Admin position (pay) were created without them having a shot at it. Others aren't happy that the previous regimen had requested a similar position to align them with other schools in the area and told there was no possibility one could be created. Personally I think it's a slap in the face to a family who's done nothing but support Lebanon for two decades.
Old 01-23-18, 07:46 AM
All Region

JetSweepAudible22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So they couldn't get Grippa, couldn't get Mahon, then tried a guy from Out of State and an then an alum and nothing??? That's brutal!
Old 01-23-18, 08:03 AM
Varsity

bleecher-bum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
It's going to be interesting to see the support he gets from fellow staff. Many who've spent years in the district aren't happy an Admin position (pay) were created without them having a shot at it. Others aren't happy that the previous regimen had requested a similar position to align them with other schools in the area and told there was no possibility one could be created. Personally I think it's a slap in the face to a family who's done nothing but support Lebanon for two decades.
Are you suggesting the lack of results in the past are a direct result of not having the admin position created? I for one am glad things are changing and a decision was made to go outside of the district and find someone who isn't poisoned by the past.
Old 01-23-18, 08:23 AM
All Region

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
I am a huge football supporter, especially the public schools. However, I am really tired of positions being created for coaches; especially lucrative administration positions. Many times these people do NOT have admin licenses, just like Lebanon's new coach (unless he will have his admin credentials by next school year). It sends the wrong message to everyone that they get a high paying cushy job just because they coach football. It gives football and those that coach football & teach a bad rap.

We always preach STUDENT athletes, but yet we show time and time again, from the top down that is not the case. Nothing will change until schools and or citizens demand that their schools be better stewards of their tax dollars.
Old 01-23-18, 08:35 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
I am a huge football supporter, especially the public schools. However, I am really tired of positions being created for coaches; especially lucrative administration positions. Many times these people do NOT have admin licenses, just like Lebanon's new coach (unless he will have his admin credentials by next school year). It sends the wrong message to everyone that they get a high paying cushy job just because they coach football. It gives football and those that coach football & teach a bad rap.

We always preach STUDENT athletes, but yet we show time and time again, from the top down that is not the case. Nothing will change until schools and or citizens demand that their schools be better stewards of their tax dollars.
You bring up some good points to consider. Another way to look at this is why should we settle for an average teacher in the classroom simply because he or she was hired to coach? This happens time and time again.
Old 01-23-18, 08:53 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleecher-bum View Post
You bring up some good points to consider. Another way to look at this is why should we settle for an average teacher in the classroom simply because he or she was hired to coach? This happens time and time again.

I whole-heartedly agree with you 100%. Enough settling on inadequate or unqualified just because you want a coach in the building. The best coaches are normally phenomenal teachers; because teaching is teaching, whether is is football or a subject. I have found this to be true in my experiences.
Old 01-23-18, 10:18 AM
All Region

HSFB is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Are you saying that an Admin. position was created for the new football coach? If so, what position was created?

I agree it sends a wrong message.
Old 01-23-18, 10:23 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFB View Post
Are you saying that an Admin. position was created for the new football coach? If so, what position was created?

I agree it sends a wrong message.
I have no idea if one was created or not. Many posters are saying this may be the case. I do know and have commented on another board about all of the admin positions created for football coaches here in SW Ohio. Most are positions such as "Dean of Students" or some other ambiguous job title.
Old 01-23-18, 10:27 AM
All District

FairmontAlum is on a distinguished road
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...014_sports_sfp
Old 01-23-18, 10:29 AM
Varsity

According to the Lebanon School Board Agenda on the website for 1/22 they were to consider & approve Hopkins for "High School Student Services Coordinator". I have no idea if this is a new position or an existing position. Maybe someone with knowledge can chime in on that.
Old 01-23-18, 10:30 AM
All Region

Wow, so according to the article, the school board is creating another ambiguous administrator position to someone without an admin license. Best of luck to Coach Hopkins, but this is getting out of hand in SW Ohio.
Old 01-23-18, 10:31 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleecher-bum View Post
According to the Lebanon School Board Agenda on the website for 1/22 they were to consider & approve Hopkins for "High School Student Services Coordinator". I have no idea if this is a new position or an existing position. Maybe someone with knowledge can chime in on that.
Never-mind...according to the above referenced article it is to be a new position to be created.
Old 01-23-18, 11:37 AM
All Region

HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
Looking at the Preble Shawnee football page, it appears that their roster fell in numbers during Coach Hopkins tenure there while wins went up. They do not appear to be quality wins (Twin Valley South, West Carrollton, National Trail, Dayton Christian are not good teams) but they went up none the less. I hope this is not a trend that he brings with him to the Warriors. He cannot afford a sinking roster size in the GWOC. I wish him the best of luck turning it around.
Old 01-23-18, 11:45 AM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I'll agree with the tenor of this post, but....
Most districts will not pay a teacher for more than 10 years of service if they move in. If that would change then I would agree with you 100%. Right now the only way to get a coach in your district with experience is to create a different job.
Old 01-23-18, 12:20 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
I'll agree with the tenor of this post, but....
Most districts will not pay a teacher for more than 10 years of service if they move in. If that would change then I would agree with you 100%. Right now the only way to get a coach in your district with experience is to create a different job.
Excellent point, but the 10 year thing was to prevent teachers from jumping all over the place throughout their career to get the best payday. Coaches should be no different, maybe then we wouldn't have so many coaches, in football especially, with one foot out the door as soon as they are hired. Maybe the turnaround wouldn't be so high if we put it in perspective that this is supplemental to teaching, not the other way around.
Old 01-23-18, 12:45 PM
All District

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
Looking at the Preble Shawnee football page, it appears that their roster fell in numbers during Coach Hopkins tenure there while wins went up. They do not appear to be quality wins (Twin Valley South, West Carrollton, National Trail, Dayton Christian are not good teams) but they went up none the less. I hope this is not a trend that he brings with him to the Warriors. He cannot afford a sinking roster size in the GWOC. I wish him the best of luck turning it around.
All wins are quality wins at Preble Shawnee. I mean that with no disrespect, but Shawnee is a school that falls in line with TVS, National Trail, and Dayton Christian. It is not an easy place to find success.

A couple of things to consider, first Lebanon is widely considered one of the better districts to teach in, in this part of Ohio. It is what most teachers would consider a "destination" job (if that exist for teaching). The pay is good and there is almost no turnover. In order to get a coach in the building, often times districts like Lebanon are forced to create positions. This is not a new phenomenon. In the 90's, my high school coach taught OWE a couple of periods a day and spent the rest of the day "checking" his student's work schedules. Many schools give head football and basketball coaches extra planning periods throughout the day because it is widely accepted in the profession that the demands of head football and basketball coach are greater than that of someone who only teaches. Also, don't underestimate the importance of the the coach being in the building. To garner support it is important the coach build a rapport with students, teachers, administrators, parents, etc... That is a difficult task if you are not in the building on a day to day basis. It takes more than football knowledge to build a successful football program at the high school level.
Old 01-23-18, 12:58 PM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Excellent point, but the 10 year thing was to prevent teachers from jumping all over the place throughout their career to get the best payday. Coaches should be no different, maybe then we wouldn't have so many coaches, in football especially, with one foot out the door as soon as they are hired. Maybe the turnaround wouldn't be so high if we put it in perspective that this is supplemental to teaching, not the other way around.
I get it. just saying. I teach, I coach. There is no way I could go to another district unless they gave me an admin job (I am licensed!) because the pay cut would be so severe. I am locked in place. Not really free market.
Old 01-23-18, 01:05 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
I get it. just saying. I teach, I coach. There is no way I could go to another district unless they gave me an admin job (I am licensed!) because the pay cut would be so severe. I am locked in place. Not really free market.
I get that as well as I too used to teach. But you know this when you choose this profession. If you want an admin job, then do it the way everyone else does and get certified and get an actual admin job with admin pay. Quit circumventing things for the sake of athletics. Also, when you start getting above 10 years, you have a pretty good deal of seniority and most likely have continuing contract. While no free market, the job security certainly is a trade off for that.

Last edited by cincifbfan; 01-23-18 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-23-18, 01:12 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldBlood View Post
All wins are quality wins at Preble Shawnee. I mean that with no disrespect, but Shawnee is a school that falls in line with TVS, National Trail, and Dayton Christian. It is not an easy place to find success.

A couple of things to consider, first Lebanon is widely considered one of the better districts to teach in, in this part of Ohio. It is what most teachers would consider a "destination" job (if that exist for teaching). The pay is good and there is almost no turnover. In order to get a coach in the building, often times districts like Lebanon are forced to create positions. This is not a new phenomenon. In the 90's, my high school coach taught OWE a couple of periods a day and spent the rest of the day "checking" his student's work schedules. Many schools give head football and basketball coaches extra planning periods throughout the day because it is widely accepted in the profession that the demands of head football and basketball coach are greater than that of someone who only teaches. Also, don't underestimate the importance of the the coach being in the building. To garner support it is important the coach build a rapport with students, teachers, administrators, parents, etc... That is a difficult task if you are not in the building on a day to day basis. It takes more than football knowledge to build a successful football program at the high school level.
I have no issues with an additional plan period, due to the ever increasing demands. That makes sense. Administrators get paid more because there are even more demands in that arena than teaching; drastically different demands, but drastically increased demands nevertheless. Don't create a fake cushy position with higher pay than teachers because you need someone.

Also, I don't know the story behind why old coach left, whether it was his choice or not. But schools wouldn't have to keep creating jobs for coaches and could curtail the turnover if they'd be realistic with their expectations. Record-wise, Lebanon had a good coach while he was there. Was there more to it, I'm sure, but it used to be head coaches would be there for 20+ years because there was a mutual loyalty between the coach & school. Those days are LONG GONE, but could be restored if people would accept football for what it is, a fun activity for students to partake in while they are in school. It is an extra curricular, not the end all be all that too many people make it. Public schools especially will have up years and down years, and no matter the coach, there will always be angry parents.
Old 01-23-18, 05:12 PM
All District

My sophomore year at Lebanon in 1994, we had a hall monitor/test coordinator as coach. The football coach is a very influential position as they affect kids for four years and lots of them. I have stated before that it goes way above wins. No other coach or teacher affects that many kids for all four years.
Old 01-23-18, 05:16 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSweepAudible22 View Post
So they couldn't get Grippa, couldn't get Mahon, then tried a guy from Out of State and an then an alum and nothing??? That's brutal!
1 and 3 are right. The SSecond guy would have been a bomb hire and unbelievable to many on here. The fouRRth guy would have robbed Franklin of a business manager.
Old 01-23-18, 06:05 PM
All Ohio

Exit 29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1 and 3 are right. The SSecond guy would have been a bomb hire and unbelievable to many on here. The fouRRth guy would have robbed Franklin of a business manager.
Interesting, when this job came open I would of put money down that Roberts took this job. Sounds like he may actually be done coaching then. Not sure how Hopkins will do, but I wouldn’t discredit what he did at Preble. The fact he made them competitive is great.
Old 01-23-18, 07:54 PM
All American

bleacher bum,

I'm in no way saying Lamb would've been better or worse had the position been created to allow him to spend more of his time doing football related stuff. It's my belief it was brought up when asked how Lebanon could better compete with other schools in the area. Or what were other schools doing that Lebanon was not. When it was brought up about other districts creating Admin positions (not for the pay but for more freedom) it was shot down without thought. Now the first thing they do is add that position for the new coach.

I agree it was time to go outside and I wish them nothing but success.

Creating an admin position that nobody else within the district can apply for isn't going to sit well with those who've spent decades within the school system hoping to advance. Especially by someone who has no experience.

Last edited by brianwr112; 01-23-18 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-23-18, 08:14 PM
All Ohio

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
Why is it an issue that they want to pay the football coach and give him an admin job? The top states in HS football are paying their Head Coaches 80,000+ to be the HC and may tack on an easy athletic dept job.
Old 01-23-18, 08:35 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off_Tackle08 View Post
Why is it an issue that they want to pay the football coach and give him an admin job? The top states in HS football are paying their Head Coaches 80,000+ to be the HC and may tack on an easy athletic dept job.
It's an issue because administrators get paid more to have much more responsibility. It's also not right because I'm sure there are numerous teachers that would like the opportunity to be an admin in their district. Lastly it isn't right because most do NOT have the proper credentials.

If schools want to pay 80 grand plus for football coaches then simply have that be the stipend, don't go round about way of cheating the system. It's dishonest, shady, and immoral.
Old 01-23-18, 09:55 PM
All American

I'd have no problem if he was qualified to be an admin and there was a position open. Or even if Lebanon decided it was time to add an Assistant AD (they may already have one) and others could apply for the position. Now where does it stop? Do we give the basketball coaches new gigs? Softball team has been the top team in the district for the past decade, perhaps that qualifies to be the Assistant to the Dean of Students...

Then when the teachers union asks for small raises in their new contract they'll be told there's no money. I love sports and some of the most influential people in my life were those that coached me, I just don't believe coaches need to be some of the highest paid employees in a school district simply because of sport.
Old 01-24-18, 05:52 AM
All Ohio

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's an issue because administrators get paid more to have much more responsibility. It's also not right because I'm sure there are numerous teachers that would like the opportunity to be an admin in their district. Lastly it isn't right because most do NOT have the proper credentials.

If schools want to pay 80 grand plus for football coaches then simply have that be the stipend, don't go round about way of cheating the system. It's dishonest, shady, and immoral.
So how do we know his pay will be administrator level? He may not be in the classroom but he may still be on the same payscale as teachers. More districts are doing that with “admin” positions because they might also have the policy of admins not being allowed to coach. So he may have some administrative duties but doesn’t means he’s on admin pay.