Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-27-17, 08:40 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Medina beat solon the team quit on the coach.
Old 10-27-17, 08:43 PM
All American

SVillegrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Really? Good for Medina, I guess. But that is absolutely a quit job on Solon. Medina was pathetic this year.
Old 10-27-17, 09:17 PM
Freshman

'00WeAreSC is on a distinguished road
If Mcquaide isn't fired, or doesn't resign Monday morning there will be 100 current parents, former parents, former players, and current players at the next school board meeting after the fall banquet. This is an absolute travesty.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-17, 09:22 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
How was the game?

I have to wonder if Solon not being able to close the deal after having late leads against Mentor and Euclid completely zapped the team's confidence.

They did not look like their usual selves the last couple weeks of the season.
Old 10-27-17, 09:23 PM
All District

Comets111 is on a distinguished road
Great job D cord giving up 38 points terrible he needs to go too to go 5-5 at solon they all need to go period!!!!!
Old 10-27-17, 09:40 PM
Freshman

SolonComets00 is on a distinguished road
Team moral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Coach wronged this team. Team owed coach nothing. Not ONE star QB on this team as they have consistently averaged 3-4 interceptions per game since they benched #5. Still played #4 and #7 - coach's son. But hey, lets just let the team continue to lose and NOT give #5 another chance. Why? Pride Pride Pride - coach's pride that's all. Complete disgrace to this school and community McQuaide. You need to go.
Old 10-28-17, 05:47 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Epic meltdown the last 4 weeks. Took Mentor and Euclid down to wire and should have won one or even both games. There is no excise for the Solon that I saw against the Panthers should have lost to the teams they did the last few weeks.
Old 10-28-17, 05:56 AM
All Region

jimbo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comets111 View Post
Great job D cord giving up 38 points terrible he needs to go too to go 5-5 at solon they all need to go period!!!!!
And what was the d coordinator’s number on the field last night?
Old 10-28-17, 07:11 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Whatever happened the last two weeks, my condolences. The Solon team I saw was definitely playoff worthy. They were basically equals to Mentor, Stow, and Euclid. It isn't probably fair to put the last two losses on the coach, but I agree with those who continue to say it's time for a change.
Old 10-28-17, 07:23 AM
Freshman

'00WeAreSC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
And what was the d coordinator’s number on the field last night?
Jimbo, I feel like you're a coach or family of a coach or something. . . It seems like you're always trying to change the subject and deflect the blame from the people responsible. The coordinators and coaches don't have numbers fella, they don't play the game in between the sidelines. They're the ones with the headsets on that are responsible for developing the players from the jump, putting together a game plan for specific teams, motivating the boys to perform at a higher level, adjusting personell, managing the game, and putting the players and team in a position to succeed. If you think they've done a good job of that, and you're insinuating that those kids just weren't very good or didn't play hard enough, there is something seriously obscured about your perspective.

I will say, for coach Bubonics, that I may not have always agreed with his formations, alignments, personell adjustments, or game plan, but at least his players respect him and look up to him. I think he is a good leader to the boys. They'll remember that guy for the rest of their lives and for most of them it will be positive memories. I also think that his son's were in fact talented enough to hold their own when they got their opportunity. Did they potentially GET that opportunity earlier or ahead of some other guys because he's a coach there? I don't know. But you couldn't have watched them play and felt like they under performed or weren't talented enough and ready to be out there the way it was glaringly obvious that the head coach's freshman son was. As for Mcquaide and Richardson, the kids hate those guys and play in spite of them, not for them. McQ is a terrible role model on and off the field, while Richardson is a hard head and completely inept at designing and calling an offense in the game of football. The only reason they've had any success is because they're fortunate enough to be in Solon where the pool of talent is usually pretty full.

The difference this year was the team being completely demoralized by the head coach and his politics and nepotism. Yes, we graduated some VERY good players last year. Our biggest loss was on the O line, and that hurt, but you can't tell me that we dropped off significantly at running back and receiver. You can't tell me that we dropped off significantly at D line or in the secondary. I think the 3 linebackers who all made their varsity debuts this year did a terrific job, for the most part, of filling the shoes of Matt Brown, Melvin Jackson, and Casey Maniglia, who were all absolute studs at their respective positions. So what's the catalyst for going from the D1R1 1 seed and ranked in the top 25 football teams in the entire country at one point last year to an embarrassing 5-5 disappointment of a season? The head coach stunting the development of the offense through the manipulation of the QB position for his own personal agenda and ego. The defense breaking down and getting tired of working their butt off to get a stop or turnover, then having to march right back out on the field after 3 plays. 3 plays, mind you, that were often incompletions that would stop the clock or negative yardage plays to boot.

He psychologically destroyed some of these boys this year, and has to others in the past. This really goes beyond X's and O's and wins and losses to be honest. We're talking about the children's experience as young men. He fails miserably when it comes to that area as well.
Old 10-28-17, 10:10 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Yikes!! After reading all these other posts, where do I start? As we all know by now, Solon played another horrible game last night, losing to a poor Medina team. The defense, which has been fairly good for most of this season, was absolutely wretched. The offense failed to move the ball consistently and proved its own worst enemy with untimely penalties and turnovers. The Comets ended the season on a four-game losing streak, turning a once-promising campaign into a 5-5 debacle. This marks just the fourth 5-5 finish since Solon's last losing season in 1969. The Comets also went 5-5 in 1975, 1986 and 2012. As far as I can research, this four-game skid is Solon's longest since going 1-9 in 1968. How bad has it been? To put it into perspective, The Comets had been a combined 23-1 all-time against Shaker and Medina just a week ago. Since then, they've gone 0-2 against those two GCC doormats.

There's been a lot of heated discussion on this thread. I'll try to add my perspective: There are many reasons for Solon's horrible finish. I'm not going to put it all on McQuaide, though he shares in culpability. This team lacked depth from the get-go. Plenty of good starters, but little reserve talent. Injuries, particularly those to David Marbury, Taj Ward, Michael Laubscher and J.T. Caver, exposed Solon's lack of depth. Last night, the Comets played Andrew Mason, Nate Miller and Zyon Mowry at LB for most of the game. Mowry is the only true LB; Mason and Miller are 160-pound DBs playing out of position. I'm not sure why Anthony Lanzara wasn't playing, but I know there aren't really any other options after him. Caver's injury not only affected his QB play, but it kept him from playing safety, where he was a standout. Caver and Mason had been starting at safety for most of the season; last night, it was Sammy Bubonics and Grant McCurry.

I don't like pointing the finger at players, no matter who they or their fathers might be. And I don't like pitting one kid against another. They're all Solon Comets to me, and I want them all to do well. Sammy Bubonics is playing because he's one of the 22 best kids on the team. He's got some improving to do, but he's certainly not a weakness. Plus he's young and I know he'll get better. And yes, the defense was terrible last night, but Solon has a tradition of sound defenses under DC Ed Bubonics. When he's got the horses, the Comets have great defensive teams. Coach Bubonics is definitely not what's wrong with Solon football.

Offense, well that's another matter. The offense was a mess this year and it's always been a problem in seasons that go south on the Comets. The Comets have always had difficulty with clock management, shuffling players in and out, and committing inopportune penalties. That's nothing new. This year, instability at QB and a weak O-line have turned the offense into a turnover factory. The turnovers are a product of factors unique to this seaon, but the other problems are directly attributable to coaching.

Those of you who've followed Yappi for a while know that I've been one of McQuaide's biggest critics for years. In fact, I called for his termination way back in 2006 when that season fell apart on him. Perhaps his biggest failing as a coach is his inability to get a season back on track once it begins to go astray. It's happened in 2006, 2008, 2012, and 2014. Each year, the team starts off OK before suffering a tough loss or two, then falls completely apart late in the season. I've also always believed that McQuaide coaches ultra-tight in big games and that trickles down to his team's play. For an example, I give you the Solon vs. Stow results of the past three seasons. That's also a factor in his poor playoff record.

I think the football program needs a new, fresh approach. I think the leadership is stodgy and lacking imagination. I've thought that way for a long time. I also believe that's why Solon has lost so many of its better athletes over the last five years, whether to other schools or other sports. That's all I want to say about the coaching and the state of the program.

If there's a movement afoot to replace McQuaide, I wish you the best. I hope you're successful. But I don't believe it will happen, and I won't involve myself in it. That's for players' parents. They're the ones with something at stake. But I warn you once again: McQuaide has the support of the administration. You face an uphill battle.

Last edited by Metacomet; 10-28-17 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-28-17, 10:25 AM
All Ohio

SSS is on a distinguished road
Just curious, if McQuade is replaced who do the Solon fans want as your next coach?
Old 10-28-17, 10:41 AM
Varsity

SCFBFAN is on a distinguished road
I know there is a lot of passion when it comes to our kids and our football, feel free to vent all you need, heck I have been at meetings asking for change, bottom line is athletics do not effect the schools report card. You can figure out what that means.
Old 10-28-17, 10:49 AM
All Region

jimbo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFBFAN View Post
I know there is a lot of passion when it comes to our kids and our football, feel free to vent all you need, heck I have been at meetings asking for change, bottom line is athletics do not effect the schools report card. You can figure out what that means.
Perfect response.
Old 10-28-17, 02:50 PM
Freshman

the buck stops here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Perfect response.
Why a perfect response? Because the head coach is confident in Solon's corrupt system and inept bureaucracy who would rather protect administration and coaches rather than look after the well-being of it's programs and the students?

No community should stand for this treatment. They have the right to demand improvement for it's athletic programs, namely football, just as parents have voiced opinions to the administration and board for additional academic programs. We have all heard that the 3 A's are equally important in Solon: Academics/Arts AND Athletics. If this is true, Regano, McGuire and Short will listen to the complaints and FIX the football program with an entire new coaching staff. Right now, this program cannot be fixed without replacing McQuaide and his staff. They need to prove that Athletics is an important component to the Solon Schools.
Parents cannot be silenced. Remember, a levy is surely to be on the ballot soon and disgruntled community members from today and years past will be sure to voice their opinions. Why vote for a system that cannot make necessary improvements that benefit OUR kids. Yes, this matters THAT much.
Old 10-28-17, 03:57 PM
Varsity

SCFBFAN is on a distinguished road
I'll tell you what, run for school board on a platform of athletic dept change and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-28-17, 04:05 PM
All District

Quote:
I'll tell you what, run for school board on a platform of athletic dept change and let us know how it goes.
the sad thing is they like him and there is nothing to like, most of the time he beats the bad teams not this year (shaker,medina) and he never wins the big games (no big wins) he needs to go
Old 10-29-17, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

For what it's worth, the JV team beat Medina Saturday to finish 9-1. The freshmen started off 5-0, then faded to a 6-4 finish. The frosh lost their stride when QB Patrick McQuaide was promoted to the varsity. The sophomores went 9-1 as frosh in 2016, and were the bulk of this year's JV team. In both years, Mentor handed them their only defeat.

As bleak as things turned out in 2017, help is on the way in the very near future.
Old 10-30-17, 08:29 AM
All District

Thunderstruck2652 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Although I agree with your sentiment that education is more important than athletics, what you're presenting is a straw man argument that implies that the community can't - nor should they expect - to have a school that produces good report cards unless it comes at the expense of the athletics programs. I happen to believe the opposite - that many of the best report cards are produced by athletes who are looking to get into good colleges and see athletics as a solid extracurricular activity to meet that end.

In the end, I think you're missing the point of why a lot of people are upset - as much as they're upset at the loss of standards within the program, they're angry at the way that the program is being run. Even the most die-hard McQuaide supporters should be willing to admit that there have been more face-saving measures and politically-motivated decisions made by the guy at the top than there should be for a guy who's in charge of high school aged teenagers. There's ample evidence that McQuaide has made a lot of decisions over the years that didn't have the success and well-being of his kids at the top of the list of his motivations - as evidenced by previous years in which he cited "lack of buying into the program" as being the reason for teams that have underacheived - which to me is unacceptable. Great coaches, and by extension great leaders, earn accountability from the people that they lead by being accountable themselves when they make a mistake. Probably the biggest criticism I have of McQuaide is that he's been at the program for over a decade now and during that time he's never taken accountability for when things go south on his watch - over time, when people see you attempt to pass the buck on enough times you lose their respect and ultimately I think that's where we're at right now.
Old 10-30-17, 10:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Plenty of coaches have been let go after years of seemingly having total support of admins. I would not be surprised if a move is made.
I know you think highly of McQuaide, so I'm curious why you wouldn't be surprised.
Old 10-30-17, 10:09 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
For what it's worth, the JV team beat Medina Saturday to finish 9-1. The freshmen started off 5-0, then faded to a 6-4 finish. The frosh lost their stride when QB Patrick McQuaide was promoted to the varsity. The sophomores went 9-1 as frosh in 2016, and were the bulk of this year's JV team. In both years, Mentor handed them their only defeat.

As bleak as things turned out in 2017, help is on the way in the very near future.
We've hoped for a better year...every year. Talent will be under-utilized and play calling will be the same. Nepotism will prevail and best players will not play. Sad to predict that next year, and the following years will play out the same.
Old 10-30-17, 09:20 PM
All District

bmss17 is on a distinguished road
I get where you guys are coming from regarding being frustrated and upset with how the season ended, but to want McQuaide and his staff to step down are ridiculous. This staff has been one of the most stable in NEO. This staff, since McQuaide took over, has led Solon to the playoffs more than any other team in Region 1, with the exception of Ignatius (they are tied with Ignatius in appearances). Am I saying that the program is more successful that Ignatius, Ed's or Mentor? No, of course not. And I'm not saying that I haven't been to games and questioned some of the things that I have seen, especially on the offensive side of the ball; but to get to the point where you are all demanding this entire staff be fired just doesn't make sense to me.

I just love how fans always believe that players win games and coaches lose games. It doesn't work both ways...this staff has shown time and again that when they have the horses, they can compete with anyone. Sure, Mentor has made deeper runs...they've also had two Mr. Football Award Winners. There's no doubt that the season didn't end the way we wanted, but you lost how many guys defensively to injury (plus your best defensive player never took a snap this year with Maniglia), and your dual threat QB was hobbled with a busted ankle. When you have a team that simply was not deep at all, and you lose guys and have people out of position, what do you think is going to happen?

It took John Wooden 14 years to make his first Final 4 appearance, and 16 years before his first national championship...and I'm sure you had people in LA calling for his firing too during those years. If you do decide to get rid of this staff, where do your replacements come from? Unless you're getting Jeff Rotsky, or a coach from a catholic school (Malbasa?!), then you aren't finding anywhere near the quality of staff that you have currently. No coach is going to come here and coach without having a job in the district, and let me put a guarantee on the fact that they will not be creating jobs in the #1 district in the state of Ohio for a DB or RB coach.

It just boggles my mind that people can come on this forum and say that people truly believe that McQuaide is not a good role model (all around great guy, and the guys I know that have played for him respect him and the staff) or that he doesn't play the best players consistently (I get that his son playing QB as a freshman is curious, but I can guarantee that he will be right up there with Mooney and Bubonics when it's all said and done, plus that stigma has been around for more than a few years). Bottom line is, when you have the toxic/cancerous environment that you have in the stands, you don't stand a chance in the locker room. When you have parents of current players who are openly rooting for opposing teams because they don't like personnel decisions, your season is doomed no matter what type of players you have. It's outrageous that none of the parents in the stands have D1 coaching offers, because they sure as hell act like they know that much about the game. When parents are a cancer, it spreads to their kids, and eventually to the team...that, plus a team that had talent, but was not nearly as deep as years past, is what led to the season that Solon had this year.
Old 10-31-17, 10:23 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmss17 View Post
I get where you guys are coming from regarding being frustrated and upset with how the season ended, but to want McQuaide and his staff to step down are ridiculous. This staff has been one of the most stable in NEO. This staff, since McQuaide took over, has led Solon to the playoffs more than any other team in Region 1, with the exception of Ignatius (they are tied with Ignatius in appearances). Am I saying that the program is more successful that Ignatius, Ed's or Mentor? No, of course not. And I'm not saying that I haven't been to games and questioned some of the things that I have seen, especially on the offensive side of the ball; but to get to the point where you are all demanding this entire staff be fired just doesn't make sense to me.

I just love how fans always believe that players win games and coaches lose games. It doesn't work both ways...this staff has shown time and again that when they have the horses, they can compete with anyone. Sure, Mentor has made deeper runs...they've also had two Mr. Football Award Winners. There's no doubt that the season didn't end the way we wanted, but you lost how many guys defensively to injury (plus your best defensive player never took a snap this year with Maniglia), and your dual threat QB was hobbled with a busted ankle. When you have a team that simply was not deep at all, and you lose guys and have people out of position, what do you think is going to happen?

It took John Wooden 14 years to make his first Final 4 appearance, and 16 years before his first national championship...and I'm sure you had people in LA calling for his firing too during those years. If you do decide to get rid of this staff, where do your replacements come from? Unless you're getting Jeff Rotsky, or a coach from a catholic school (Malbasa?!), then you aren't finding anywhere near the quality of staff that you have currently. No coach is going to come here and coach without having a job in the district, and let me put a guarantee on the fact that they will not be creating jobs in the #1 district in the state of Ohio for a DB or RB coach.

It just boggles my mind that people can come on this forum and say that people truly believe that McQuaide is not a good role model (all around great guy, and the guys I know that have played for him respect him and the staff) or that he doesn't play the best players consistently (I get that his son playing QB as a freshman is curious, but I can guarantee that he will be right up there with Mooney and Bubonics when it's all said and done, plus that stigma has been around for more than a few years). Bottom line is, when you have the toxic/cancerous environment that you have in the stands, you don't stand a chance in the locker room. When you have parents of current players who are openly rooting for opposing teams because they don't like personnel decisions, your season is doomed no matter what type of players you have. It's outrageous that none of the parents in the stands have D1 coaching offers, because they sure as hell act like they know that much about the game. When parents are a cancer, it spreads to their kids, and eventually to the team...that, plus a team that had talent, but was not nearly as deep as years past, is what led to the season that Solon had this year.
you havent played for him, so how could you say that his past players respect him? unless you are going D1 he could careless about you. I want to know how he is a good coach? yes he does make the playoffs but that is due to him beating teams that anyone at the top could do but every single year is losing the big games due to bad coaching. And yes politics has a huge issue at solon and to me that looks bad on the coaching staff. its sad there are people defending him when he has done nothing but win easy games and never make it past the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs
Old 10-31-17, 03:57 PM
All District

Thunderstruck2652 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Wow, so in your opinion this is all the fault of the parents

I'm sure that on an anecdotal level you can find players and parents who thought that McQuaide has done a great job. I've got many more from former players who stated that he runs his team like girls in the cafeteria who will only let those from the "in" group sit at their table. Preferential treatment to a select few and an overall lack of accountability.

One anecdotal that I wish to present comes from a FORMER CAPTAIN who said that when he asked McQuaide to make a simple phone call to a prospective college coach in order to assist in solidifying a scholarship offer the player was told by McQuaide that "he couldn't help him" and that he was "too slow" - do those words sound like what you'd expect to hear from an all-around great guy?

Mind you, the anecdotal that I presented came from one former player who ended up getting that offer on his own and graduated from college with honors- how many others do you think have left the program disgruntled because the coach couldn't help them either? These are how consensuses are formed, and why there's a growing faction of the community who wants McQuaide out. I agree that winning in football isn't everything and that a little perspective is always a good thing in the face of disappointment, however when stories like this one rise to the surface it begs the question - what is this guy doing for the kids? I don't think that I'm being unfair by calling him a middling coach that isn't living by the code of values that he's been espousing to others.

Reading into your comments, I'm almost certain that you don't have kids - if you did, you would understand how passionate that parents become when it comes to the defense of their kids when they feel that they're being misguided by their coaches / teachers / role models. Although I know that there are many communities where parents do become too involved and their actions can become counterproductive, I strongly disagree with you that what's taking place right now with this particular program. McQuaide has earned the criticism he's receiving in spades.
Old 10-31-17, 04:07 PM
All District

bmss17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comets111 View Post
you havent played for him, so how could you say that his past players respect him? unless you are going D1 he could careless about you. I want to know how he is a good coach? yes he does make the playoffs but that is due to him beating teams that anyone at the top could do but every single year is losing the big games due to bad coaching. And yes politics has a huge issue at solon and to me that looks bad on the coaching staff. its sad there are people defending him when he has done nothing but win easy games and never make it past the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs
What specific examples are there in regards to politics of kids who played whose playing time was not justified?

In regards to past players respecting him, I've talked with a number of players, from 2003-2017, and of course you will have mixed reaction, but I've seen him interact with kids of all playing abilities.

It's pretty difficult when he consistently goes 8-2 to 10-0 to throw him under the bus. Why were people so outraged with the last two games of the year? Because they lost to teams they should not have lost to...that has never happened before, and that's a sign of good coaching. I'm sure there are some games here and there that got away from them, but they are consistently a top four team in arguably the toughest region in Ohio. Everyone on here is acting like this staff is going 3-7/4-6 consistently with 8-2 talent; they're going 8-2/9-1 consistently with 8-2/9-1 talent. They don't have three middle school feeder programs, they don't have the luxuries that catholic schools do; they have declining enrollment, changing demographics, overbearing parents, and the most demanding academic district in the state of Ohio. You would be hard pressed to find a coaching staff that gets so much more out of this program.
Old 10-31-17, 08:30 PM
Freshman

NEOFBSC12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Blame the depth of a 26 man senior class that's done nothing but win since the time they were 9 and 10 years old, and a also very talented support class of juniors, for possibly one of the worst collapses and losing streaks in Solon since 1968?? You're actually kidding right? Most of the juniors and seniors individually have a combined regular season loss total in the single digits or low teens dating back to their Saturns days. That's 9 and 10 seasons of football. Well, not any more. How would you even know if they had depth or not when more than 1/2 of them never saw the field the entire season? You must have been there for all the JV games and practices over the last several years or something. . .

You're right, it doesn't kill the morale of the players at all to watch the head coach's freshman son come in to the varsity practice wearing the #7 after the season started because it was held out of availability for him despite multiple junior and senior varsity players asking for that number. Some of those who weren't given an opportunity to play as freshman, ON THE FRESHMAN TEAM. Sure, he'll be as great as Mooney and Bubonics by his 4th year on the varsity team. He'll surely have been given enough opportunity. . . These players had to hear from the coach's son himself that HE would be taking the QB position this year because his Dad is the coach and then watch their senior brother effectively sabotaged and benched in an attempt to actually make that happen, while other highly talented senior playmakers were held off the field in favor of underclassmen in other positions through out the course of the season. "Curious"?? That's awful generous of you. It was flat out wrong. Period. For players to be called out of class during the school day by the head coach and threatened with their "Solon Careers" because they're upset about the situation and may have said something to one of the other coaches they confided in about it? Unacceptable. This season was lost from the beginning by way of the head coach's personal agenda and if you think the players don't see it that way (on their own), you're kidding yourself. But yeah, you're right again, the parents in the stands are the problem. . . The parents are why the season tanked. Unbelievable. Typical to pass the blame off to the parents for not "buying in" to his almighty plan.

It's pretty clear you're either oblivious to what's going on, a coach, or related to a coach. Understand that the entire community is collectively had enough of his regime. Not one small group of disgruntled parents. Not a few passionate fans on a public forum. Everyone. From 7,8,9 years past through upcoming parents with young boys that have concern, and even average citizens with no kids in the program. Except, apparently, you. You're literally the first person in the last 7 years I've heard say he's an all around great guy. Seems like the admins and other coaches protecting him are the only ones stuck on this "ra-ra" 200 wins, most playoff appearances in D1, stuff. Not sure where you're from, but guess what? That's EXPECTED here. So is getting out of the second round of the playoffs on occasion, which he has been unsuccessful in 15 tries at Solon, and even more in his previous stints with other schools who have all moved on to become perennial powerhouses in the state following his departure. The points you make about declining enrollment, no feeder programs, etc even further reinforces the argument that he's already blown the best opportunities Solon has had in a long time in terms of Class talent.

As far as his replacement? Post an opening for a "college keyboarding" teacher position at the number one school district in America, with the benefit of being the head football coach, and you'll have enough resumes to consider from across the entire country that I'm sure it will present options that result in something far more positive for the future of the program. You'll probably be able to save some money over the current 6 figure salary too, so that's even a positive for the budget! I'd even suggest moving Bubonics to head coach (if he'd even want it), move Voigt to OC (He did a fantastic job with the JV offense) and find some younger talent to fill in the other roles. This would keep the majority of the remaining positives of the tradition intact and not blow up the entire program. The players respect those guys. They play hard for them. The play in spite of the current head coach. That is facts. Besides, it's not like the lunch ladies couldn't do as good of a job developing talent as the current freshman coaches. . . (No offense lunch ladies, I'm being completely serious.)
Old 11-01-17, 08:51 AM
All District

Quote:
What specific examples are there in regards to politics of kids who played whose playing time was not justified?

In regards to past players respecting him, I've talked with a number of players, from 2003-2017, and of course you will have mixed reaction, but I've seen him interact with kids of all playing abilities.

It's pretty difficult when he consistently goes 8-2 to 10-0 to throw him under the bus. Why were people so outraged with the last two games of the year? Because they lost to teams they should not have lost to...that has never happened before, and that's a sign of good coaching. I'm sure there are some games here and there that got away from them, but they are consistently a top four team in arguably the toughest region in Ohio. Everyone on here is acting like this staff is going 3-7/4-6 consistently with 8-2 talent; they're going 8-2/9-1 consistently with 8-2/9-1 talent. They don't have three middle school feeder programs, they don't have the luxuries that catholic schools do; they have declining enrollment, changing demographics, overbearing parents, and the most demanding academic district in the state of Ohio. You would be hard pressed to find a coaching staff that gets so much more out of this program.
they are beating the bad teams every year what dont you get? and ya if ur last name was big at solon and or your older brother played or if ur dad is at the top of the team then ya you respect him and play, I played for him I think I would know more than you, i know for a fact some kids played my senior year due to who they were when there was better kids sitting on the bench , when I played we beat the bad teams and all my loses were to good teams that we could have won if there was better coaching, know one liked the offensive cord and no one does now even bubonics keeps giving up 30 plus points in big games, and yes losing the last two games of the season to two terrible terrible teams should be the last of it
Old 11-01-17, 09:06 AM
Pecunious

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
I know you think highly of McQuaide, so I'm curious why you wouldn't be surprised.
I think highly of his character and the support I know he provides his athletes.
Old 11-01-17, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
He don't even get his players d 1 offers, he a horrible coach failed last 8 tears.
Old 11-01-17, 12:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I think highly of his character and the support I know he provides his athletes.
You didn't answer my question. You merely repeated what I wrote.