Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-12-18, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
All the parents should get together and watch Coach Snoop on Netflix. Multiple the amount of swearing, berating, vein popping and screaming by coaches in that show times 1000.

You'll be about halfway to Rotsky then.
Old 02-12-18, 10:03 PM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
after watching these guys play last year - I think they have just about everyone back

I feel the coach that gets this gig has two big jobs

1. don't mess up a pretty good shot at winning the championship
2. start recruiting cuz I think hoban is LOL
Hey! if OHSAA is not going to enforce it's rules...I say do the same thing everyone else is doing!
Old 02-13-18, 07:36 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Hey! if OHSAA is not going to enforce it's rules...I say do the same thing everyone else is doing!
Waiting for Cougar's Pavlovian response... 3... 2... 1...
Old 02-13-18, 08:22 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Well....not everybody. Have you seen Walsh? LOL.
Old 02-13-18, 08:52 AM
Varsity

Broadway Joe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishfan13 View Post
Was in town today and heard from 2 diffent sources that ex-HC Ron Wright was interested in returning to coaching and the STVM job...would be a great catch for the Irish considering his record at Hudson before taking a two season sabbatical
This would be great, considering Coach White was outspoken about the private schools having unfair advantages, and constant complaining of having seperate playoffs.
Old 02-13-18, 08:57 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Joe View Post
This would be great, considering Coach White was outspoken about the private schools having unfair advantages, and constant complaining of having seperate playoffs.
If you can't beat 'em join 'em?
Old 02-13-18, 05:22 PM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
Wright not coming over, plenty of very qualified SVSM alums in the mix. Yes, that was a hint..
Old 02-13-18, 05:45 PM
All Yappi

Wright is a great coach, but he's going to run into the problem of AD's wanting to hire younger coaches who can lead a program for the long term and unfortunately, he's not that guy.

I wonder if Keith Wakefield would be interested in coming back. LOL.

I think an alum would be great with the history of the program.
Old 02-13-18, 10:52 PM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
Wright not coming over, plenty of very qualified SVSM alums in the mix. Yes, that was a hint..
I would think the most/best qualified coach will be hired at a school like this.
Old 02-13-18, 11:20 PM
All World

Striker300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Well....not everybody. Have you seen Walsh? LOL.
Hoban's CB number for football is 136, SVSM is 120 and Walsh is 114. Seems they are doing the same thing just not as successful with the talent. Could be coaching is the difference. LOL.
Old 02-14-18, 06:51 AM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker300 View Post
Hoban's CB number for football is 136, SVSM is 120 and Walsh is 114. Seems they are doing the same thing just not as successful with the talent. Could be coaching is the difference. LOL.
Wow. Now thereís a comment that actually makes sense. I would add strength program that goes hand and hand with coaching. Preach
Old 02-14-18, 08:44 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker300 View Post
Walsh has always had a huge geographic reach. They get a lot of kids from southern Cuyahoga County. They also reach into Portage, Geauga, Stark and Medina County. Unfortunately, they don't "draw" a lot of football talent any more.
Old 02-14-18, 07:12 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
They can't have a coach in the mold of Cistone. That ship sunk twenty years ago. The first "successful" coach following him was young Ryan Wiggins. He drew the SC athletes to the school & Boarman brought a young staff, including his two sons and a couple Copley coaches, that meshed those kids with fresh ideas including the strong defense and open offense.

I think Coaches Murphy and Anthony Boarman would like to remain on staff. For sure Murphy does not want to be head coach. Does Boarman? Is he ready to make the move and step away as the Baseball coach? The defense was better than the offense the last two years. Whoever were the OC would not be a loss, IMO. Will the new coach be able to bring in his own staff?

FWIW, I was told there are thirty applicants.
Old 02-14-18, 08:51 PM
Junior Varsity

Bucksfan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
They can't have a coach in the mold of Cistone. That ship sunk twenty years ago. The first "successful" coach following him was young Ryan Wiggins. He drew the SC athletes to the school & Boarman brought a young staff, including his two sons and a couple Copley coaches, that meshed those kids with fresh ideas including the strong defense and open offense.

I think Coaches Murphy and Anthony Boarman would like to remain on staff. For sure Murphy does not want to be head coach. Does Boarman? Is he ready to make the move and step away as the Baseball coach? The defense was better than the offense the last two years. Whoever were the OC would not be a loss, IMO. Will the new coach be able to bring in his own staff?

FWIW, I was told there are thirty applicants.
Whoever gets that job needs to get rid of the OC first thing.
Old 02-16-18, 10:31 AM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
The OC was JEFF Dallas. Applications are being taken until 2/18.
Old 02-16-18, 12:43 PM
All American

AjmBaseball1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Wow. Now thereís a comment that actually makes sense. I would add strength program that goes hand and hand with coaching. Preach
They were outscored by 74 points in those games. That's not coaching. That's a major talent differential.
Old 02-16-18, 01:08 PM
All Yappi

Funny, the Irish and Warrior weight roomd were just fine when they were winning state championships. As AJM suggests, the main difference between Hoban and SVSM and Walsh right now is that Hoban is attracting more talent. The new guy has to have the ability to attract those kids.
Old 02-18-18, 11:01 AM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
STVM (10-4) has plenty of talent on both sides of the ball retuning 16 of 22 Starters with a 7-2 JV squad and 9-1 Frosh Squad. No disrespect to WJ but the talent pool gap is wide. Hoban two toughest opponents including playoffs were Iggys and STVM. That wonít change in 18. The new coach is walking into stocked cupboards.
Old 02-18-18, 11:38 AM
All Region

Redwing is on a distinguished road
The best thing the new coach will have going for him is Region 9 has gotten extremely soft, and D3 overall lost 2 more really good teams in TCC and Tri Valley. They won't have to be great to get back to the state semis.
Old 02-18-18, 12:03 PM
Varsity

Icanbanyone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
STVM (10-4) has plenty of talent on both sides of the ball retuning 16 of 22 Starters with a 7-2 JV squad and 9-1 Frosh Squad. No disrespect to WJ but the talent pool gap is wide. Hoban two toughest opponents including playoffs were Iggys and STVM. That wonít change in 18. The new coach is walking into stocked cupboards.
Avon, Barberton, and Winton Woods were all better than STVM. They were just a middle of the pack team that played us well in a rivalry game.
Old 02-18-18, 03:08 PM
All Region

Quote:
Are you kidding? Barberton hammered St V, and WW and Avon would've likely done the same. It's great to have 16 starters back, as long as they can play. Other than Keyes, I didn't see any overly impressive talent on the offensive side of the ball, and that bore out as the season went along. Maybe these kids just needed experience, and being a year older will make a huge difference, but it remains to be seen. Also, there's nothing more meaningless in high school football than JV game results.
Old 02-18-18, 03:10 PM
All Yappi

Aren't the top D2 teams in the state supposed to beat D3 teams?
Old 02-18-18, 03:21 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Aren't the top D2 teams in the state supposed to beat D3 teams?
I was responding to his statement that "Hoban two toughest opponents including playoffs were Iggys and STVM."
Old 02-18-18, 04:52 PM
All District

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
Are you kidding? Barberton hammered St V, and WW and Avon would've likely done the same. It's great to have 16 starters back, as long as they can play. Other than Keyes, I didn't see any overly impressive talent on the offensive side of the ball, and that bore out as the season went along. Maybe these kids just needed experience, and being a year older will make a huge difference, but it remains to be seen. Also, there's nothing more meaningless in high school football than JV game results.
Were you at the Barberton - St V game? While there was no question Barberton was the better team that night and deserved to win.....St V did not get hammered by Barberton. It was a 7 point game late in the 3rd quarter - early 4 and a there was huge pass interference call on 4th and 15 that went in Barbertonís favor that was a huge momentum swing.

I think the 16 staters coming back can play. In case you missed it they got great playoff experience and played in the state semi final game.

Glad you are not a college scout. 4 offensive players for St V are getting by recruited by D1 programs right now.
Old 02-18-18, 04:56 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
What’s hilarious are the private messages I get from St V posters telling me how all of the talent is going to St V, how great their freshman and JV teams are in football and that they are returning all of these starters from last year. Also they throw out that this is the last time Hoban will beat St V in basketball for a long time. Also they continue to throw out the recruitment allegations and money that Hoban is throwing at athletes. Not sure why they send this privately?? I’m just a parent who supports Hoban.

I would hope that they get a coach sooner than later because the uncertainty of it will only have more kids flocking to Holy cross BlVD.
Old 02-18-18, 05:13 PM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Winton Woods would have bean anyone on STVM schedule except Hoban of course. You are living in a green cloud and need to take a breath.
Old 02-18-18, 05:19 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
Winton Woods would have bean anyone on STVM schedule except Hoban of course. You are living in a green cloud and need to take a breath.
And your point is????
Old 02-18-18, 05:44 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
Were you at the Barberton - St V game? While there was no question Barberton was the better team that night and deserved to win.....St V did not get hammered by Barberton. It was a 7 point game late in the 3rd quarter - early 4 and a there was huge pass interference call on 4th and 15 that went in Barbertonís favor that was a huge momentum swing.

I think the 16 staters coming back can play. In case you missed it they got great playoff experience and played in the state semi final game.

Glad you are not a college scout. 4 offensive players for St V are getting by recruited by D1 programs right now.
I was at the Barberton game, along with 3 other St V games. Even though it was close in the 3rd, it was obvious St V's offense couldn't muster enough and it was just a matter of time before the dam broke. I'm sure they do have kids getting looks, I'm just saying in the games I saw, only Keyes stood out, and as a whole the offense was enemic. If they can get better oline play, maybe some of these kids can shine. I said earlier that I think they can get back to states because Region 9 is soft, which was the biggest reason for last year's run, and D3 as a whole got weaker.
Old 02-18-18, 05:51 PM
All District

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
I was at the Barberton game, along with 3 other St V games. Even though it was close in the 3rd, it was obvious St V's offense couldn't muster enough and it was just a matter of time before the dam broke. I'm sure they do have kids getting looks, I'm just saying in the games I saw, only Keyes stood out, and as a whole the offense was enemic. If they can get better oline play, maybe some of these kids can shine. I said earlier that I think they can get back to states because Region 9 is soft, which was the biggest reason for last year's run, and D3 as a whole got weaker.
D2 must be pretty soft as well then as St V went on the road in week 9 and beat a D2 state semi final team.
Old 02-18-18, 06:20 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
D2 must be pretty soft as well then as St V went on the road in week 9 and beat a D2 state semi final team.
Go back and look at Massillon's region, it was by far the weakest D2 region. They got obliterated by WW for a reason, they weren't in the same class as the best teams in D2.