Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 02-12-18, 04:24 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Posts: 9,724
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
All the parents should get together and watch Coach Snoop on Netflix. Multiple the amount of swearing, berating, vein popping and screaming by coaches in that show times 1000.

You'll be about halfway to Rotsky then.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 02-12-18, 10:03 PM
DB 04 DB 04 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-09-15
Posts: 777
DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
after watching these guys play last year - I think they have just about everyone back

I feel the coach that gets this gig has two big jobs

1. don't mess up a pretty good shot at winning the championship
2. start recruiting cuz I think hoban is LOL
Hey! if OHSAA is not going to enforce it's rules...I say do the same thing everyone else is doing!
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 02-13-18, 07:36 AM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,854
Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Hey! if OHSAA is not going to enforce it's rules...I say do the same thing everyone else is doing!
Waiting for Cougar's Pavlovian response... 3... 2... 1...
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 02-13-18, 08:22 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,449
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Hey! if OHSAA is not going to enforce it's rules...I say do the same thing everyone else is doing!
Well....not everybody. Have you seen Walsh? LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 02-13-18, 08:52 AM
Broadway Joe Broadway Joe is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-15-16
Posts: 68
Broadway Joe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishfan13 View Post
Was in town today and heard from 2 diffent sources that ex-HC Ron Wright was interested in returning to coaching and the STVM job...would be a great catch for the Irish considering his record at Hudson before taking a two season sabbatical
This would be great, considering Coach White was outspoken about the private schools having unfair advantages, and constant complaining of having seperate playoffs.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 02-13-18, 08:57 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,449
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Joe View Post
This would be great, considering Coach White was outspoken about the private schools having unfair advantages, and constant complaining of having seperate playoffs.
If you can't beat 'em join 'em?
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 02-13-18, 05:22 PM
fbrox fbrox is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-23-10
Posts: 618
fbrox is on a distinguished road
Wright not coming over, plenty of very qualified SVSM alums in the mix. Yes, that was a hint..
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 02-13-18, 05:45 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,449
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Wright is a great coach, but he's going to run into the problem of AD's wanting to hire younger coaches who can lead a program for the long term and unfortunately, he's not that guy.

I wonder if Keith Wakefield would be interested in coming back. LOL.

I think an alum would be great with the history of the program.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 02-13-18, 10:52 PM
DB 04 DB 04 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-09-15
Posts: 777
DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
Wright not coming over, plenty of very qualified SVSM alums in the mix. Yes, that was a hint..
I would think the most/best qualified coach will be hired at a school like this.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 02-13-18, 11:20 PM
Striker300 Striker300 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-14-09
Posts: 3,224
Striker300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Well....not everybody. Have you seen Walsh? LOL.
Hoban's CB number for football is 136, SVSM is 120 and Walsh is 114. Seems they are doing the same thing just not as successful with the talent. Could be coaching is the difference. LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 02-14-18, 06:51 AM
Cougarfan22 Cougarfan22 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-27-16
Posts: 697
Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker300 View Post
Hoban's CB number for football is 136, SVSM is 120 and Walsh is 114. Seems they are doing the same thing just not as successful with the talent. Could be coaching is the difference. LOL.
Wow. Now thereís a comment that actually makes sense. I would add strength program that goes hand and hand with coaching. Preach
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 02-14-18, 08:44 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,449
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker300 View Post
Hoban's CB number for football is 136, SVSM is 120 and Walsh is 114. Seems they are doing the same thing just not as successful with the talent. Could be coaching is the difference. LOL.
Walsh has always had a huge geographic reach. They get a lot of kids from southern Cuyahoga County. They also reach into Portage, Geauga, Stark and Medina County. Unfortunately, they don't "draw" a lot of football talent any more.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 02-14-18, 07:12 PM
SeeYaSometime SeeYaSometime is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Posts: 3,728
SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
They can't have a coach in the mold of Cistone. That ship sunk twenty years ago. The first "successful" coach following him was young Ryan Wiggins. He drew the SC athletes to the school & Boarman brought a young staff, including his two sons and a couple Copley coaches, that meshed those kids with fresh ideas including the strong defense and open offense.

I think Coaches Murphy and Anthony Boarman would like to remain on staff. For sure Murphy does not want to be head coach. Does Boarman? Is he ready to make the move and step away as the Baseball coach? The defense was better than the offense the last two years. Whoever were the OC would not be a loss, IMO. Will the new coach be able to bring in his own staff?

FWIW, I was told there are thirty applicants.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 02-14-18, 08:51 PM
Bucksfan1 Bucksfan1 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-02-18
Posts: 26
Bucksfan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
They can't have a coach in the mold of Cistone. That ship sunk twenty years ago. The first "successful" coach following him was young Ryan Wiggins. He drew the SC athletes to the school & Boarman brought a young staff, including his two sons and a couple Copley coaches, that meshed those kids with fresh ideas including the strong defense and open offense.

I think Coaches Murphy and Anthony Boarman would like to remain on staff. For sure Murphy does not want to be head coach. Does Boarman? Is he ready to make the move and step away as the Baseball coach? The defense was better than the offense the last two years. Whoever were the OC would not be a loss, IMO. Will the new coach be able to bring in his own staff?

FWIW, I was told there are thirty applicants.
Whoever gets that job needs to get rid of the OC first thing.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 02-16-18, 10:31 AM
StarstoShine StarstoShine is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-07-03
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,491
StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
The OC was JEFF Dallas. Applications are being taken until 2/18.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 02-16-18, 12:43 PM
AjmBaseball1 AjmBaseball1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-06-05
Location: Akron/Cleveland
Posts: 1,816
AjmBaseball1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Wow. Now thereís a comment that actually makes sense. I would add strength program that goes hand and hand with coaching. Preach
They were outscored by 74 points in those games. That's not coaching. That's a major talent differential.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 02-16-18, 01:08 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,449
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Funny, the Irish and Warrior weight roomd were just fine when they were winning state championships. As AJM suggests, the main difference between Hoban and SVSM and Walsh right now is that Hoban is attracting more talent. The new guy has to have the ability to attract those kids.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 02-18-18, 11:01 AM
StarstoShine StarstoShine is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-07-03
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,491
StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
STVM (10-4) has plenty of talent on both sides of the ball retuning 16 of 22 Starters with a 7-2 JV squad and 9-1 Frosh Squad. No disrespect to WJ but the talent pool gap is wide. Hoban two toughest opponents including playoffs were Iggys and STVM. That wonít change in 18. The new coach is walking into stocked cupboards.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 02-18-18, 11:38 AM
Redwing Redwing is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-02-15
Posts: 494
Redwing is on a distinguished road
The best thing the new coach will have going for him is Region 9 has gotten extremely soft, and D3 overall lost 2 more really good teams in TCC and Tri Valley. They won't have to be great to get back to the state semis.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 02-18-18, 12:03 PM
Icanbanyone Icanbanyone is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 06-13-13
Posts: 94
Icanbanyone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
STVM (10-4) has plenty of talent on both sides of the ball retuning 16 of 22 Starters with a 7-2 JV squad and 9-1 Frosh Squad. No disrespect to WJ but the talent pool gap is wide. Hoban two toughest opponents including playoffs were Iggys and STVM. That wonít change in 18. The new coach is walking into stocked cupboards.
Avon, Barberton, and Winton Woods were all better than STVM. They were just a middle of the pack team that played us well in a rivalry game.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 02-18-18, 03:08 PM
Redwing Redwing is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-02-15
Posts: 494
Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
STVM (10-4) has plenty of talent on both sides of the ball retuning 16 of 22 Starters with a 7-2 JV squad and 9-1 Frosh Squad. No disrespect to WJ but the talent pool gap is wide. Hoban two toughest opponents including playoffs were Iggys and STVM. That wonít change in 18. The new coach is walking into stocked cupboards.
Are you kidding? Barberton hammered St V, and WW and Avon would've likely done the same. It's great to have 16 starters back, as long as they can play. Other than Keyes, I didn't see any overly impressive talent on the offensive side of the ball, and that bore out as the season went along. Maybe these kids just needed experience, and being a year older will make a huge difference, but it remains to be seen. Also, there's nothing more meaningless in high school football than JV game results.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 02-18-18, 03:10 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,449
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Aren't the top D2 teams in the state supposed to beat D3 teams?
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 02-18-18, 03:21 PM
Redwing Redwing is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-02-15
Posts: 494
Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Aren't the top D2 teams in the state supposed to beat D3 teams?
I was responding to his statement that "Hoban two toughest opponents including playoffs were Iggys and STVM."
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 02-18-18, 04:52 PM
Football Fan 1 Football Fan 1 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-21-17
Posts: 185
Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
Are you kidding? Barberton hammered St V, and WW and Avon would've likely done the same. It's great to have 16 starters back, as long as they can play. Other than Keyes, I didn't see any overly impressive talent on the offensive side of the ball, and that bore out as the season went along. Maybe these kids just needed experience, and being a year older will make a huge difference, but it remains to be seen. Also, there's nothing more meaningless in high school football than JV game results.
Were you at the Barberton - St V game? While there was no question Barberton was the better team that night and deserved to win.....St V did not get hammered by Barberton. It was a 7 point game late in the 3rd quarter - early 4 and a there was huge pass interference call on 4th and 15 that went in Barbertonís favor that was a huge momentum swing.

I think the 16 staters coming back can play. In case you missed it they got great playoff experience and played in the state semi final game.

Glad you are not a college scout. 4 offensive players for St V are getting by recruited by D1 programs right now.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 02-18-18, 04:56 PM
Cougarfan22 Cougarfan22 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-27-16
Posts: 697
Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
What’s hilarious are the private messages I get from St V posters telling me how all of the talent is going to St V, how great their freshman and JV teams are in football and that they are returning all of these starters from last year. Also they throw out that this is the last time Hoban will beat St V in basketball for a long time. Also they continue to throw out the recruitment allegations and money that Hoban is throwing at athletes. Not sure why they send this privately?? I’m just a parent who supports Hoban.

I would hope that they get a coach sooner than later because the uncertainty of it will only have more kids flocking to Holy cross BlVD.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 02-18-18, 05:13 PM
Bobby77 Bobby77 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-25-17
Posts: 309
Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
STVM (10-4) has plenty of talent on both sides of the ball retuning 16 of 22 Starters with a 7-2 JV squad and 9-1 Frosh Squad. No disrespect to WJ but the talent pool gap is wide. Hoban two toughest opponents including playoffs were Iggys and STVM. That wonít change in 18. The new coach is walking into stocked cupboards.
Winton Woods would have bean anyone on STVM schedule except Hoban of course. You are living in a green cloud and need to take a breath.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 02-18-18, 05:19 PM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,854
Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
Winton Woods would have bean anyone on STVM schedule except Hoban of course. You are living in a green cloud and need to take a breath.
And your point is????
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 02-18-18, 05:44 PM
Redwing Redwing is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-02-15
Posts: 494
Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
Were you at the Barberton - St V game? While there was no question Barberton was the better team that night and deserved to win.....St V did not get hammered by Barberton. It was a 7 point game late in the 3rd quarter - early 4 and a there was huge pass interference call on 4th and 15 that went in Barbertonís favor that was a huge momentum swing.

I think the 16 staters coming back can play. In case you missed it they got great playoff experience and played in the state semi final game.

Glad you are not a college scout. 4 offensive players for St V are getting by recruited by D1 programs right now.
I was at the Barberton game, along with 3 other St V games. Even though it was close in the 3rd, it was obvious St V's offense couldn't muster enough and it was just a matter of time before the dam broke. I'm sure they do have kids getting looks, I'm just saying in the games I saw, only Keyes stood out, and as a whole the offense was enemic. If they can get better oline play, maybe some of these kids can shine. I said earlier that I think they can get back to states because Region 9 is soft, which was the biggest reason for last year's run, and D3 as a whole got weaker.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 02-18-18, 05:51 PM
Football Fan 1 Football Fan 1 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-21-17
Posts: 185
Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
I was at the Barberton game, along with 3 other St V games. Even though it was close in the 3rd, it was obvious St V's offense couldn't muster enough and it was just a matter of time before the dam broke. I'm sure they do have kids getting looks, I'm just saying in the games I saw, only Keyes stood out, and as a whole the offense was enemic. If they can get better oline play, maybe some of these kids can shine. I said earlier that I think they can get back to states because Region 9 is soft, which was the biggest reason for last year's run, and D3 as a whole got weaker.
D2 must be pretty soft as well then as St V went on the road in week 9 and beat a D2 state semi final team.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 02-18-18, 06:20 PM
Redwing Redwing is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-02-15
Posts: 494
Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
D2 must be pretty soft as well then as St V went on the road in week 9 and beat a D2 state semi final team.
Go back and look at Massillon's region, it was by far the weakest D2 region. They got obliterated by WW for a reason, they weren't in the same class as the best teams in D2.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Massillon Tiger Football DB135 Massillon Tigers 34 12-26-17 03:06 PM
2017-2018 Basketball Schedules Yappi Boys Basketball 60 11-30-17 01:53 PM
2017 Class - Ohio Chapter of National Wrestling Hall of fame Refman Wrestling 3 09-19-17 12:57 PM
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 16 06-18-17 07:07 PM
Mount Union Head Coach at Tuscarawas County Wres. Club wrestling_fan_ Wrestling 1 05-02-17 11:54 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz