Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-09-18, 05:00 PM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Lombardi is also releasing a book on coaching this summer.
Quote:
I am not a Lombardi fan but I will give him credit for coming out and admitting Kelce is right and he was wrong.
Hey, I think we just found the perfect title for it: "__________ Was Right and I Was Wrong"

Just fill in the blank.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-18, 05:07 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
If you haven't watched Jason Kelce's speech yet, I highly suggest doing so
That was awesome.
Old 02-09-18, 10:46 PM
All Ohio

domi is on a distinguished road
Unless I missed the posts it looks like the NFL wasn't affected at all by the lower TV ratings supposedly due to the protests:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKBN1FK25J

Going from $45m per game to $60m per game for Thursday Night Football is pretty darn good IMHO.
Old 02-12-18, 09:59 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Football is king, it's not over saturated like baseball and basketball television is. The biggest group of TV watchers watch some sports, some movies and alot of trash on TV. Football fits them just right. Most can't watch 162 baseball games or 82 basketball games. Investing 16 games a year fits the "average" TV viewer just right.
Old 02-12-18, 05:05 PM
All World

Johnny Manziel was recently diagnosed with depression/ bi-polar disorder?? Really, it took a doctor this long to figure out what we knew years ago?
Old 02-12-18, 05:20 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Glad to hear it's been diagnosed and he seems at least on some level to embrace it and try to work through it. A family member of mine has it and it can be incredibly debilitating. Obviously it has played a part in Manziel's struggles.
Old 02-17-18, 05:04 PM
All Yappi

Just heard a CBS NY radio guy say to a caller, as they discussed the Browns' array of draft picks and the combination of cap space and likely available FAs, that a Browns' fan should be "happier than a puppy with two peters"
Old 02-17-18, 05:48 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Johnny Manziel was recently diagnosed with depression/ bi-polar disorder?? Really, it took a doctor this long to figure out what we knew years ago?
I'd bet Johnny has seen more physicians, counselors, psychologists, therapists and the like than 99.9% of the general population, and apparently none of them figured it out. I think the rudimentary diagnosis, one which I'm still not sure is incorrect, is that Johnny is just another rich boy azzwipe. I'm not convinced that the scores of professionals, from the draft analysis through his multiple rehabs missed the bipolar diagnosis, rather than this being a creation of his agent and a cooperative doctor.
Old 02-27-18, 07:53 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...me-ruled-catch

NFL rules it was a catch and will be in the future.

Do you agree?
Old 02-27-18, 08:04 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post

Do you agree?
In related news, they determined that Jim Thorpe's muff in the 1917 Canton Bulldogs- Massillon game was not a fumble.
Old 02-27-18, 09:16 PM
All Yappi

How about changing defensive PI to a 15yd first down from a spot foul ?
Old 02-28-18, 06:06 AM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
How about changing defensive PI to a 15yd first down from a spot foul ?
I agree ... I hate seeing a touch foul being a 50 yard gain ... I would like to see an intentional PI be at the spot, but the refs (& NFL) would screw that up.
Old 02-28-18, 06:08 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post

Do you agree?
yes, I have said that for years ... he took 3 steps then reached the ball out
Old 02-28-18, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
NFL also discussing changing defensive pass interference to a maximum 15 yard penalty instead of a spot foul. Not expected to pass but I'd support it. Hate it when teams just throw up a prayer in hopes of getting a PI call and then get rewarded with a 50yd penalty
Old 03-07-18, 09:53 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
In other NFL news, the league announced they have taken steps to shorten some NFL games: they convinced Ed Hochuli to retire.
Old 03-07-18, 07:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
In other NFL news, the league announced they have taken steps to shorten some NFL games: they convinced Ed Hochuli to retire.
They promoted his son to referee in exchange. He had been a back judge, I think.
Old 03-09-18, 08:50 AM
All World

Many times we hear about how bad pro football is contractually for it's players because nothing is guaranteed, except bonuses.

But for Richard Sherman, this may work out in his favor. Sherman is expected to be cut from Seattle soon, saving the team $11 mill on his contract for this season. In other sports, the team would just have to pay that money, no matter how much Sherman played this season, or if he played at all (he's recovering from an achilles injury that ended his '17 season). With is salary and imminent release, it's silly to trade for him because you'd have to take on the $11 mill. So waiting until he's cut and negotiating makes more sense.
The good for Sherman - and reportedly he was asked to negotiate a new reduced contract - this happens all the time with highly paid players - is that HE controls his future. When released, he'll have 31 teams to interview and audition for, instead of getting traded to A team.
Big question will be for Sherman and his new team, will the achilles injury not allow him to play at his normal pro bowl level. Probably not another position in football that relies more on raw speed and athleticism. Once you lose a step, it's over.
Old 03-09-18, 08:56 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
You never disappoint
Old 03-09-18, 09:20 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Wow, I had no idea the difference between NFL trades and NFL cuts. This explains it, thanks 14Red. I would have lived my whole life without knowing that a trade usually doesn't let the player decide where he goes but being a free agent, he can choose! Who knew!
Old 03-09-18, 09:42 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Wow, I had no idea the difference between NFL trades and NFL cuts. This explains it, thanks 14Red. I would have lived my whole life without knowing that a trade usually doesn't let the player decide where he goes but being a free agent, he can choose! Who knew!
Always got to paint the picture, don't I?
My point is the differences between sports. In basketball and baseball, where contracts are guaranteed, teams have little recourse when a player is injured, or under performs their contract. Football has a much easier job managing their rosters because contracts are not guaranteed, and teams can cut players at any time. In baseball/ basketball, that flexibility does not exist.
We'll take our good friend Homer Bailey for instance. If baseball had a contract system like football, the Reds could have cut Homer in say 2015. His ability to ever produce in the way he's been paid over the last 4 years was decided back then.

Any original thoughts or ideas from you, or just your typical discrediting other??
Old 03-09-18, 09:53 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Most MLB vets with a similar stature as Sherman, have a no trade clause which would give them great discretion over who they get traded to. Figures 14red is wrong again.
Old 03-09-18, 09:57 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
My point is the differences between sports. In basketball and baseball, where contracts are guaranteed, teams have little recourse when a player is injured, or under performs their contract. Football has a much easier job managing their rosters because contracts are not guaranteed, and teams can cut players at any time. In baseball/ basketball, that flexibility does not exist.
We'll take our good friend Homer Bailey for instance. If baseball had a contract system like football, the Reds could have cut Homer in say 2015. His ability to ever produce in the way he's been paid over the last 4 years was decided back then.

Any original thoughts or ideas from you, or just your typical discrediting other??
Wow, I had no idea the difference between NFL contracts and MLB contracts. This explains it, thanks 14Red. I would have lived my whole life without knowing that NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts while the MLB does! Who knew!

Are you going to post anything factual, or just your typical making up numbers and ignoring it when someone calls you out?
Old 03-09-18, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Many times we hear about how bad pro football is contractually for it's players because nothing is guaranteed, except bonuses.

But for Richard Sherman, this may work out in his favor. Sherman is expected to be cut from Seattle soon, saving the team $11 mill on his contract for this season. In other sports, the team would just have to pay that money, no matter how much Sherman played this season, or if he played at all (he's recovering from an achilles injury that ended his '17 season). With is salary and imminent release, it's silly to trade for him because you'd have to take on the $11 mill. So waiting until he's cut and negotiating makes more sense.
The good for Sherman - and reportedly he was asked to negotiate a new reduced contract - this happens all the time with highly paid players - is that HE controls his future. When released, he'll have 31 teams to interview and audition for, instead of getting traded to A team.
Big question will be for Sherman and his new team, will the achilles injury not allow him to play at his normal pro bowl level. Probably not another position in football that relies more on raw speed and athleticism. Once you lose a step, it's over.
Congratulations on discovering the basics of free agency
Old 03-09-18, 10:55 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:

None of this explains why Sherman losing out on millions works out in his favor.
Old 03-09-18, 10:59 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
None of this explains why Sherman losing out on millions works out in his favor.
It will if he signs a new contract for at least 11 million ... if not it doesn't.
Old 03-09-18, 12:13 PM
All Yappi

Mr Sherman is quite an opinionated and outspoken guy. His thinly veiled disdain for Wilson's leadership is a red flag for me, as well. I'm not sure I'd want him in a locker room of young kids. Then there is his injury history. He's very talented and could be a great example if he wanted to be one. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see him making $11 million unless it's heavily based upon performance incentives.
Old 03-09-18, 12:21 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Apparently, Wilson's not black enough for some of the black players.
Old 03-09-18, 12:43 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Works "in his favor" is a little hollow as most of these big NFL contracts are signed with no intention of every being completely paid out. The signing bonus is key, as that is the guaranteed money they get. The rest is just play money until the checks are cashed.
So let's say Sherman knows 100% that he'll be back, not lose a step, etc. He's in his last year in Seattle at 11 mill, then he's done.
It works out in his favor because he can now go negotiate with 31 other teams in the NFL, if someone likes him he can get 2-3 year deal worth what ever, $25-$30 mill.
If it's smoke and mirrors, and the other 31 NFL teams decide he's done and not worth much, then who knows, maybe he resigns with Seattle for say $3 mill per year. My guess in knowing Sherman, he wouldn't play for the Seahawks even if they offered the most money. Seems like that kind of guy.

Don't feel too bad for Sherman, he's made over $50 mill playing football, he'd doing just fine.
Old 03-10-18, 11:50 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
I am seeing the path for Kirk Cousins to the Vikings, and I look forward to my season ticket value increasing and the Vikings finally winning a Super Bowl. The window for it is open, and Cousins might be the piece that takes them over the hump.
Old 03-10-18, 03:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
I am seeing the path for Kirk Cousins to the Vikings, and I look forward to my season ticket value increasing and the Vikings finally winning a Super Bowl. The window for it is open, and Cousins might be the piece that takes them over the hump.
I believe they have the most cap space of the 4 teams on his list.

I look forward to the growing count of playoff wins on the "Marvin Lewis coaching tree" being compared to Marvin's 0.