Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-22-18, 08:06 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 2018 D2/R6 Thread

I usually wait to start this thread until closer to the season, but the new competitive balance numbers warrant an early mention.

I would have a pretty loaded Avon team as region favorite for 2018, but a co-favorite will have to be added now that Toledo Central Catholic has moved up to D2 and will surely be back in R6. I like it! Strengthens the region.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-18, 09:05 PM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
I hope Avon can handle the stress of having a catholic school in their own region. Will they tape the pre-game chant from TCC and put it on YouTube? If they have to face TCC and possibly Hoban their heads might explode.
Old 01-22-18, 09:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
I hope Avon can handle the stress of having a catholic school in their own region. Will they tape the pre-game chant from TCC and put it on YouTube? If they have to face TCC and possibly Hoban their heads might explode.
They’ll be fine. They’ve split with TCC in two previous playoff meetings and beat Toledo St John’s in the region last year, and beat Toledo St Francis in a playoff game a few years ago.
Old 01-22-18, 09:42 PM
All Region

I think they will be fine too and I think they will win the region. St Johns and St Francis are not good, they are just Catholic. The only thing stopping Avon is Avon. Their coach was making the excuse for losing in the paper well before they even played Hoban last year. The minute I read that article I knew they were beat mentally. They have the size and the firepower to go all the way but the coach can’t be quoted saying “if we lose” prior to the game. You have a couple of sportswriters locally that did not help the cause either.
Old 01-22-18, 10:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think they will be fine too and I think they will win the region. St Johns and St Francis are not good, they are just Catholic. The only thing stopping Avon is Avon. Their coach was making the excuse for losing in the paper well before they even played Hoban last year. The minute I read that article I knew they were beat mentally. They have the size and the firepower to go all the way but the coach canít be quoted saying ďif we loseĒ prior to the game. You have a couple of sportswriters locally that did not help the cause either.
He knows you donít win a state title easily. You are going to face great teams. Hoban last year. The state final game in 2011 against a loaded Trotwood-Madison. He played high school ball at Warren JFK in their glory days. And he doesnít want a private public split. Sometimes in the playoffs you just wind up against a better team. Hoban was the better team. Avon had a chance to win, but they didnít cash in on their chances to get out front early. Hoban capitalized and put the game away, as great teams do. I would love to see a rematch in 2018. To be the best, you must beat the best. For three years now, Hoban has proven to be the best. My preference would be a state final meeting, but if itís the semis again...so be it. Best of luck to the Knights in 2018!
Old 01-22-18, 10:29 PM
All Region

Well said! Refreshing to read. Good luck and hope to see you as well.
Old 01-23-18, 01:34 PM
All Region

How many returners does Avon have coming back? What are the key losses? I am not that familiar with them outside the one game last year. Wasn’t their QB very young?
Old 01-23-18, 02:06 PM
All Universe

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Avon have a Week 1 game yet? Heading back to Disney?
Old 01-25-18, 03:18 PM
Freshman

RB22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Avon have a Week 1 game yet? Heading back to Disney?

At one point they were in discussions with Mentor. Now that Mentor has scheduled St Edís itís unknown who they will play. Definitely no out of state trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-18, 08:30 PM
All Universe

Looks like Buchtel @ Avon Week 1
Old 02-09-18, 09:12 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Looks like Buchtel @ Avon Week 1
Itís a solid opener. Not the home run they were looking for, but the pickings were slim. It looked like it would be Mentor at Avon with Avon paying Mentor a chunk of cash to do it, but then Edís came in and offered a massive amount of cash to Mentor AND play at Mentor...so that ended that. Buchtel is good, at least. They can win anywhere from six to eight games. They arenít beating Edís, and I have them losing to Avon.
Old 02-09-18, 09:39 AM
All Region

Buchtel will have games where they can compete with anyone depending on the year. They played Hoban two years ago and I couldn’t wait for the game to be over for the safety of our kids. Very cheap football team, keep your head on a swivel.
Old 02-09-18, 10:44 AM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
And the video camera at the 50 for pregame. Lol. Couldn’t resist
Old 02-09-18, 11:10 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Buchtel will have games where they can compete with anyone depending on the year. They played Hoban two years ago and I couldnít wait for the game to be over for the safety of our kids. Very cheap football team, keep your head on a swivel.
Did not know that about them. I knew they have years where they can compete with just about anyone, though.
Old 02-09-18, 11:16 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
And the video camera at the 50 for pregame. Lol. Couldnít resist
Haha! I think it was actually a local website/YouTube that does some Avon highlights at the bigger games.

As for the season, I have to believe Hoban will blow through R5 again. Avon will have some competition within the region, with the main challenger being Toledo CC. That will make it more exciting, though. You might get the R7 winner, though, if itís Massillon, Massillon Perry, Boardman or some other school where geography dictates an R5 vs R7 semi. The season still must be played, of course, and there is no guarantee for any team until all ten regular season games have been played.
Old 02-09-18, 05:33 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Did not know that about them. I knew they have years where they can compete with just about anyone, though.
They will hit. And they wonít give up, but if they start losing they will hit very late.
Old 02-12-18, 12:59 PM
All District

funguy72 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Itís a solid opener. Not the home run they were looking for, but the pickings were slim. It looked like it would be Mentor at Avon with Avon paying Mentor a chunk of cash to do it, but then Edís came in and offered a massive amount of cash to Mentor AND play at Mentor...so that ended that. Buchtel is good, at least. They can win anywhere from six to eight games. They arenít beating Edís, and I have them losing to Avon.
I would imagine that the folks at Avon are getting a little bit sick and tired of St Edwards. The Avon FB teams loses out a potential game vs Mentor and it was recently published that the Avon Baseball team will be relocating several home games since the Ed's baseball team entered into a contractual agreement with the Lake Erie Crushers to use that stadium, pushing Avon out of several dates.
Old 02-12-18, 01:32 PM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Haha! I think it was actually a local website/YouTube that does some Avon highlights at the bigger games.

As for the season, I have to believe Hoban will blow through R5 again. Avon will have some competition within the region, with the main challenger being Toledo CC. That will make it more exciting, though. You might get the R7 winner, though, if itís Massillon, Massillon Perry, Boardman or some other school where geography dictates an R5 vs R7 semi. The season still must be played, of course, and there is no guarantee for any team until all ten regular season games have been played.
This will be Hoban's most challenging year of the last 3 to replace losses to graduation, especially on defense. They'll be really young in multiple spots, and like last year, will be much better later in the year. First month could be a bit bumpy.
Old 06-06-18, 03:21 PM
All Yappi

Highland and Wadsworth out. Toledo CC and Lima in. Everything else looks the same.
Old 06-07-18, 09:05 AM
All Region

wads1107 is on a distinguished road
Where did Highland and Wadsworth go?
Old 06-07-18, 09:08 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wads1107 View Post
Where did Highland and Wadsworth go?
They are both in Region 7 now.
Old 07-05-18, 06:39 PM
All Yappi

Here is the 2018 version of R6.

Gone are the Medina County schools, Wadsworth and Highland. Highland was an annual playoff team, so that's a loss to the region IMO. Wadsworth is a historically strong program that's now finding its winning ways again post-Coach Dennison.

In are TRAC schools, Toledo CC and Lima Sr., as well as Marion Harding. Lima has had their moments, and has the athletes to make noise in any given season. Toledo CC coming back to the region is a great addition, as they were missed the past few seasons.

I'll take an early stab at the eight playoff teams, which I will highlight in bold. I see a regional final showdown between Avon and TCC. Both loaded.

AMHERST
ANTHONY WAYNE
AVON
AVON LAKE
BOWSHER
CENTRAL CATHOLIC
CLAY
FREMONT ROSS
LAKEWOOD
LIMA SENIOR
MARION HARDING
MIDVIEW
NORMANDY
NORTH OLMSTED
NORTH RIDGEVILLE
NORTH ROYALTON
OLMSTED FALLS
PARMA
PERRYSBURG
SPRINGFIELD
ST FRANCIS DE SALES
ST JOHN'S JESUIT
SYLVANIA NORTHVIEW
SYLVANIA SOUTHVIEW
VALLEY FORGE
WAITE
WESTLAKE
Old 07-05-18, 08:16 PM
All Universe

I'll go:

AMHERST
ANTHONY WAYNE
AVON
AVON LAKE
BOWSHER
CENTRAL CATHOLIC
CLAY
FREMONT ROSS
LAKEWOOD
LIMA SENIOR
MARION HARDING
MIDVIEW
NORMANDY
NORTH OLMSTED
NORTH RIDGEVILLE
NORTH ROYALTON
OLMSTED FALLS
PARMA
PERRYSBURG
SPRINGFIELD
ST FRANCIS DE SALES
ST JOHN'S JESUIT
SYLVANIA NORTHVIEW
SYLVANIA SOUTHVIEW
VALLEY FORGE
WAITE
WESTLAKE
Old 07-05-18, 10:02 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
For the convenience of the reader: by conference.
MOAC
MARION HARDING

NLL
ANTHONY WAYNE, PERRYSBURG, SPRINGFIELD, SYLVANIA NORTHVIEW, SYLVANIA SOUTHVIEW

NOC
NORMANDY, NORTH ROYALTON, PARMA, VALLEY FORGE

Southwest Conf
AMHERST, AVON, AVON LAKE, LAKEWOOD, MIDVIEW, NORTH OLMSTED,

NORTH RIDGEVILLE, OLMSTED FALLS, WESTLAKE

TRAC
CENTRAL CATHOLIC, CLAY, FREMONT ROSS,
LIMA SENIOR, ST FRANCIS DE SALES, ST JOHN'S JESUIT

TCL
BOWSHER, WAITE

That changing anyone's dynamic? Year to year, there tends not to be a lot of competition in the TCL. One team tends to win all the games. A weak and winnable OOC by either Bowsher or Waite and they could sneak into that last spot. Soutwest Conf grabbing four spots? That doable?
Old 07-05-18, 11:26 PM
Junior Varsity

North LS is on a distinguished road
I'm a scout nw ohio, ross is gonna be a problem.Lima is young,they have a fine wr.Lima does

NW OHIO div.2 region 6 are Fremont, central,or flip flop the 2 .Trac will be these 3 with whitmer,than Anthony Wayne and perrysburg.Perrysburg and Anthony Wayne and Springfield will decide NLL.

St.johns ,stfrancis watch carefully.
Old 07-06-18, 02:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
For the convenience of the reader: by conference.
MOAC
MARION HARDING

NLL
ANTHONY WAYNE, PERRYSBURG, SPRINGFIELD, SYLVANIA NORTHVIEW, SYLVANIA SOUTHVIEW

NOC
NORMANDY, NORTH ROYALTON, PARMA, VALLEY FORGE

Southwest Conf
AMHERST, AVON, AVON LAKE, LAKEWOOD, MIDVIEW, NORTH OLMSTED,

NORTH RIDGEVILLE, OLMSTED FALLS, WESTLAKE

TRAC
CENTRAL CATHOLIC, CLAY, FREMONT ROSS,
LIMA SENIOR, ST FRANCIS DE SALES, ST JOHN'S JESUIT

TCL
BOWSHER, WAITE

That changing anyone's dynamic? Year to year, there tends not to be a lot of competition in the TCL. One team tends to win all the games. A weak and winnable OOC by either Bowsher or Waite and they could sneak into that last spot. Soutwest Conf grabbing four spots? That doable?
Thanks, East.

Every year I ask if one of the TCL schools can run the table in the league and win enough non-league games to squeeze into the playoffs. Does Bowsher or Waite look like that team?

The SWC has put four teams into the R6 playoffs before, but beyond Avon and Olmsted Falls there are no sure things. I think two of the three of Amherst, Avon Lake and Midview are the best bets.
Old 07-06-18, 04:16 PM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks, East.

Every year I ask if one of the TCL schools can run the table in the league and win enough non-league games to squeeze into the playoffs. Does Bowsher or Waite look like that team?

The SWC has put four teams into the R6 playoffs before, but beyond Avon and Olmsted Falls there are no sure things. I think two of the three of Amherst, Avon Lake and Midview are the best bets.
Neither Bowsher or Waite look to be that team. I also wouldn't count Northview out. Perrysburg Will go 0-3 in their non conference games and if they drop one league game which I think they will they're out.
Old 07-06-18, 05:15 PM
Junior Varsity

pgf1582 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks, East.

The SWC battle for 2-7 should be interesting and some of the bottom teams could keep their playoff count low. Something in me says Ridgeville will get it together soon. New houses everywhere, new football stadium, new enthusiasm. Maybe they can make that jump that Avon made about 10 years ago. I know it all starts with coaching though.
Old 07-06-18, 05:20 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by North LS View Post
I'm a scout nw ohio, ross is gonna be a problem.Lima is young,they have a fine wr.Lima does

NW OHIO div.2 region 6 are Fremont, central,or flip flop the 2 .Trac will be these 3 with whitmer,than Anthony Wayne and perrysburg.Perrysburg and Anthony Wayne and Springfield will decide NLL.

St.johns ,stfrancis watch carefully.
Who does Fremont return?

I know all about the QB Lehman. Kid has a cannon. I also know they lost some size upfront as well as 3 of their starting 4 WR's right? McKinstry returns but Burling, Hotz, and Jagodzinski are all gone. Mancini graduated as well right? He appeared to be the game breaker in the backfield as Bulger was a load but slower.

I do know they return one of the nation's best long snappers.
Old 07-06-18, 07:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1disciple View Post
Neither Bowsher or Waite look to be that team. I also wouldn't count Northview out. Perrysburg Will go 0-3 in their non conference games and if they drop one league game which I think they will they're out.
That Perrysburg non-league schedule is brutal. If they can get the win over SJJ it could be enough to get them in at 7-3.