Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-23-18, 04:39 PM
Freshman

flash18 is on a distinguished road
The Strength Lab in Wilmington, Oh is a huge reason why Clinton Massie football has had a long run at the playoffs with a couple state titles and a state runner up over the past few years. It is a great strength and conditioning facility that is ran by some top notch guys.
Old 01-23-18, 05:20 PM
All Region

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
He had pullies set up with old wires attached to buckets full of old railroad nails. His bench press station used old sewer lids for a long time. It was quite a crude set up but it worked.
That's awesome!!!! Truly the definition of blue collar football! I'm gonna do that on my basement this weekend now.
Old 02-06-18, 03:20 AM
All District

war_admiral is on a distinguished road
Steubenville Big Red

http://rollredroll.com/weightroom.htm

Old 02-07-18, 05:38 AM
All Yappi

gobluetom can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
Speak for yourself. I'm not sure why this was even mentioned by a previous post. Guys I hang with my age understand the importance of weight training in the off season. In the end when you combine technique with a dude who's been killing it in the weight shed you have an awesome combination.

The comment earlier about teams today versus the 70s is dead on. Part of the reason Moeller rose to such dominance was because of their weight lifting in the off season. Bill Clark, who worked at P&G but was a physical fitness guru, befriended Coach Faust and Bill opened his basement to the Moeller team. He had pullies set up with old wires attached to buckets full of old railroad nails. His bench press station used old sewer lids for a long time. It was quite a crude set up but it worked.

In the end you can have state of the art all you want but it doesn't do any good if it's not used and there's not a strength coach that knows how to motivate.
And the ballet classes the players were required to take
Old 02-11-18, 01:43 PM
Freshman

Hartley1 is on a distinguished road
I think Coffman has one of the best setups in Central Ohio. Weightroom, wrestling room, locker room, and training room all under their stadium Licking Valley and Hamilton Township are small schools around Central Ohio with great facilities. Both have small indoor complexes with turf.
Old 02-11-18, 02:01 PM
All District

Salesman is on a distinguished road
A lack of strength/conditioning program == more injuries and fatigue which leads to losing players during game/practices
Old 02-11-18, 02:02 PM
All District

Salesman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluetom View Post
And the ballet classes the players were required to take
Plus Coach Faust was using "Heavy Ropes" when most coaches had never heard of them.
Old 02-11-18, 06:21 PM
All Region

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
The biggest problem is a lot of the so called "strength" coaches that are at most schools don't have a clue on how to properly train their teams. Usually it is some assistant who works out a little himself who is now considered an expert. You wouldn't believe some of the things I have heard that these coaches have the kids doing at some of the local schools.
Old 02-19-18, 10:29 AM
All American

sehs
Obviously strength and conditioning is not the only ingredient to a state champion but it is a big one. It makes a big difference in a sport like football where you are physically attacking people with each play. The stronger, faster, more in shape o-line over 4 quarters will win the battle of attrition with each play. By the end of the game, I've seen teams not be able to do much of anything because they just are mentally and physically exhausted. Hoban added a new facility in 2015, Ed's did one in 2002, Ignatius I believe before that. So facilities definitely help however, I would also point out that the culture surrounding the football teams at Ed's, Ignatius and now Hoban is one where kids get on other kids for missing work outs and the expectation is each day you go in to work for the season. No facilities or programs matter until you have that culture.
Old 02-19-18, 11:20 AM
All District

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
Obviously strength and conditioning is not the only ingredient to a state champion but it is a big one. It makes a big difference in a sport like football where you are physically attacking people with each play. The stronger, faster, more in shape o-line over 4 quarters will win the battle of attrition with each play. By the end of the game, I've seen teams not be able to do much of anything because they just are mentally and physically exhausted. Hoban added a new facility in 2015, Ed's did one in 2002, Ignatius I believe before that. So facilities definitely help however, I would also point out that the culture surrounding the football teams at Ed's, Ignatius and now Hoban is one where kids get on other kids for missing work outs and the expectation is each day you go in to work for the season. No facilities or programs matter until you have that culture.
I agree with you. There are some very strong cultures in public schools too. Six in football last year to be exact. One thing I see is the ones that complain about the ones on top do not understand this. This is not a public vs private statement it is a culture statement. It takes time to build and for students, staff and parents to embrace and does not come easy.