Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-22-18, 10:04 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is an unknown quantity at this point
I might exaggerate somewhat on the play calling but it seemed, short side of the field 95% of the time, if not more.

Very seldom use the rest of the field.

I talked to one opposing coach and he said when they play N.C., they mainly focus on the short side of the field and they know it usually one or two players they need to watch.
Old 01-23-18, 09:54 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICKING COUNTY FAN View Post
My top three as far as former players

No order
Jeff Uhlenhake
Tom Pickering(I know Tom a little and I think he would be a good choice
Hurps(One of my fav all time Green Wave Players.
Uhlenhake is with OSU. Doubt he would leave that kind of money (and major program) to coach NC. Shane Montgomery would be great choice but again why would he leave YSU. Andy Helms is with Carnegie Mellon. Probably have a better shot at him than the other 2. Pickering is a good guy, and coach. The kids love him but I think you need someone who has had head coaching experience and a proven track record.
Old 01-23-18, 09:59 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
And that is exactly why I don't care for private schools. But them in their own divisions. Thanks for stating what I have been saying for a long time.
Put them in their own divisions because they might have a bad season?
Old 01-23-18, 06:11 PM
Varsity

candoattitude is on a distinguished road
#1 role and priority of a HS coach should be to get the athletes to play. If you don’t have the horses, you won’t win....regardless of who is calling the shots on Friday nights.
Old 01-31-18, 09:24 AM
All Yappi

Any update?
Old 01-31-18, 10:40 AM
All Ohio

I haven't heard anything other than the coaches they really would like never applied.
Old 01-31-18, 12:10 PM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
Montgomery has left YSU and is now the OC at UNC Charlotte. Maybe they can get J.D. Graham to come back. Last I knew he was in the Cleveland area. lol
Old 02-08-18, 07:42 PM
Freshman

Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Any word on where the process is or if they have someone in mind?
Old 02-08-18, 08:13 PM
Varsity

gils is on a distinguished road
27 applied for the position; not sure when the new coach will be named very tight lipped about the process.
Old 02-20-18, 01:14 PM
All Ohio

Down to a couple of candidates. No word on a front runner. I have an idea on who they want just because he was asked to interview when he didn't apply. Not sure he would take it because he is coaching at his alma mater.
Old 02-20-18, 02:40 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
Down to a couple of candidates. No word on a front runner. I have an idea on who they want just because he was asked to interview when he didn't apply. Not sure he would take it because he is coaching at his alma mater.
Are there many other sensible candidates befitting “coaching at his alma mater” than, say, Ted Londot?
Old 02-20-18, 03:16 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Are there many other sensible candidates befitting “coaching at his alma mater” than, say, Ted Londot?
Actually there were a couple of other candidates that were coaching at their alma mater.
Old 02-20-18, 09:27 PM
Varsity

bagobones is on a distinguished road
Rotsky can take them to a state championship
Old 02-21-18, 11:58 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagobones View Post
Rotsky can take them to a state championship
Not sure who the final 3 are. I just know that they went into this with a wish list and that list hasn't panned out. I hope they get a seasoned coach who has proven he can win in other programs and has been a head coach and not just an asst. in a winning program.
Old 02-21-18, 03:49 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Not sure who the final 3 are. I just know that they went into this with a wish list and that list hasn't panned out. I hope they get a seasoned coach who has proven he can win in other programs and has been a head coach and not just an asst. in a winning program.
Seasoned assistants is what makes winning programs tick. A good assistant can provide the same type of programs as a seasoned head coach. Assistants have the ability to conform to what a program may need where as a veteran head coach may not because stuck in old ways. Remeber what worked with a certain program may not work at another.
Old 02-21-18, 03:50 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Seasoned assistants is what makes winning programs tick. A good assistant can provide the same type of programs as a seasoned head coach. Assistants have the ability to conform to what a program may need where as a veteran head coach may not because stuck in old ways. Remember, what worked with a certain program may not work at another.
Old 02-21-18, 04:12 PM
All Ohio

Apparently they have picked the coach and are going to announce it at halftime of the boys basketball game tonight.
Old 02-21-18, 04:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post
Seasoned assistants is what makes winning programs tick. A good assistant can provide the same type of programs as a seasoned head coach. Assistants have the ability to conform to what a program may need where as a veteran head coach may not because stuck in old ways. Remember, what worked with a certain program may not work at another.
Yep, and seasoned assistants may not work either. I've seen it go both ways.
Old 02-21-18, 08:31 PM
All District

danville96 is on a distinguished road
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfevuT3j7y5/

Ryan Aiello is the new football coach at Newark Catholic. Played at Ball State and was assistant at Ready past 3 years. #nahss
Old 02-21-18, 08:53 PM
All American

That’s an interesting hire, definitely. This guy really had to have had both a good interview and a pretty outline for what he wants to do with the program.

Even though I’m not a Newark Catholic fan, I’m still sitting here thinking “well there’s at least two guys who make a lot of sense and are credentialed; there’s another few who may be long shots.” It is interesting because no previous HC experience, not being an alum and not being previously involved with NC. Not that all three boxes put together necessarily make the best criteria, but you’d think Newark Cath of all schools would’ve hired someone that was either connected to NC or had directed a program somewhere.

Nevertheless, the Brian Cross coaching tree grows another branch.
Old 02-21-18, 10:52 PM
All District

danville96 is on a distinguished road
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/story/...medium=twitter
Old 02-22-18, 04:39 AM
All Yappi

Just asking.
Risky hire?
What does this mean for the current ast. coaches?
Off he will run
defense scheme?
Old 02-22-18, 05:09 AM
All American

Anyone know what this gentleman's coaching position was at Ready?

Ironically, I don't think it's a risky hire in the short-term (first 1-2 years.) You'd have to do a pretty bad job to not win those games you should with what you got at Newark Catholic, considering all of the support you're surrounded with as well as having a pretty good crop of players.

From a long-term perspective, it's always going to be risky to some degree with these small private schools -- NC isn't, nor will they ever be, anymore, an exception to this. That's especially considering the fact NC plays in a brutal league (sans Heath, Utica & Northridge).

On a side note: isn't Newark Catholic supposed to be experiencing an enrollment decline sooner or later? Or are they already in the midst of (a slow-moving, gradual) one already? They're at 101 boys in grades 9-11, at current. Unless my memory is wrong, I thought NC had been in the 110-120 range for a while now. Any idea what projections are for the school's enrollment in, say, 2020 and onward?
Old 02-22-18, 05:44 AM
All American

One other quick thought: anyone think that NC may have had a tougher go than expected in the coaching search? Or that, possibly, NC isn't as opportunistic (or "that great") of a job as it was in the past?

27 applicants seems somewhat low for a job such as NC, if you subscribe to the belief that 1/3-to-1/2 of all applicants for every HS gig just puts their name in the hope of getting their first interview. And not that you should take everything you read on a message board at complete face value, but Buck_98's posts seem to infer NC was having trouble finding who they wanted from the beginning.

I read the story in the Newark Advocate, and this quote from the athletic director probably gives a subtle idea of what they weren't looking for: "We really had to handle expectations within our community." Maybe it's the message board and local Catholic ball bon vivant in me, but I'm interpreting this to mean, loosely, "we couldn't hire anyone with a losing record and we couldn't hire a 'retread'." If so, then maybe "fresh blood" was a Plan B if NC couldn't get who "they wanted from the beginning."
Old 02-22-18, 08:57 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Ironically, I don't think it's a risky hire in the short-term (first 1-2 years.) You'd have to do a pretty bad job to not win those games you should with what you got at Newark Catholic, considering all of the support you're surrounded with as well as having a pretty good crop of players.

From a long-term perspective, it's always going to be risky to some degree with these small private schools -- NC isn't, nor will they ever be, anymore, an exception to this. That's especially considering the fact NC plays in a brutal league (sans Heath, Utica & Northridge).

On a side note: isn't Newark Catholic supposed to be experiencing an enrollment decline sooner or later? Or are they already in the midst of (a slow-moving, gradual) one already? They're at 101 boys in grades 9-11, at current. Unless my memory is wrong, I thought NC had been in the 110-120 range for a while now. Any idea what projections are for the school's enrollment in, say, 2020 and onward?
I'm guessing they are right where they want to be enrollment wise at 113, that keeps them in D7, the smallest division for football.
Old 02-22-18, 10:03 AM
All Yappi

They have been D-6 lately.
Old 02-22-18, 11:16 AM
All Ohio

Quote:

They had a wish list of past NC alums that are coaching football at the next level. Hard to pull someone from a good college gig to go "backwards" in their career. Apparently they also had a couple of high school coaches on that list. After meeting him last night I think it is a good hire. He is young and energetic. He put faith and academics right up there with athletics. I think the kids will respond to him and he had a rockin grizzly adams beard!

NC is lucky to be in the LCL. Every school is larger so I think it helps get them ready for the playoffs (if they make it).

NC is holding steady in enrollment. They average between 250 and 275 enrollment. Been D6 for several years. They did move up to D3 in baseball but that wont last long.
Old 02-22-18, 11:37 AM
All American

Quote:
They had a wish list of past NC alums that are coaching football at the next level. Hard to pull someone from a good college gig to go "backwards" in their career. Apparently they also had a couple of high school coaches on that list. After meeting him last night I think it is a good hire. He is young and energetic. He put faith and academics right up there with athletics. I think the kids will respond to him and he had a rockin grizzly adams beard!

NC is lucky to be in the LCL. Every school is larger so I think it helps get them ready for the playoffs (if they make it).

NC is holding steady in enrollment. They average between 250 and 275 enrollment. Been D6 for several years. They did move up to D3 in baseball but that wont last long.
Thanks for answering. And yes, his "beard game" (as the youngsters would say) is indeed very good. Sometimes it is tough to gauge a new coach when you only are presented with what you read in the paper, online and any cursory Google search; hence why I mentioned he had to have been very impressive in his interview and in his mission statement.

Seems like the principal issue with NC/LCL is when NC is in a down year, the road to playoffs is a lot tougher. That, and any possible ascent of formerly successful yet recently dormant programs (e.g. Northridge, last year) just adds to the competition NC is to play against (for better, or for worse.) Not entirely sure who NC brings back next year, but that non-conference schedule is tough with Maysville, Seneca East and C. Academy. In that slate 3-0 and 2-1 are obviously enough to pull the 'Wave into week 11 with a couple LCL wins, but is 1-2 going to be enough in the worst case scenario?

(Interestingly, I heard that Newark Catholic is playing Rosecrans in the near future. Hmm... simultaneously it is an interesting match-up from a fan perspective yet also probably an L2 nightmare if Rosecrans can't keep up the good pace they've built lately in football... as in, they only field 14 and go 0-10/1-9.)

250-275... O.K., not exactly a dire straits situation for the Bishop's school in Newark (it can be a lot worse, trust me.) Yeah, if it sustains to that range (even with a dip to 240 or 235 at the very lowest) then I think NC football should be fine in the long-term.

And yeah, I know they're D3 in baseball but that is only because of competitive balance adjustments (I'm pretty sure.) Nice to not see NC in D4 for at least one year, LMAO.
Old 02-22-18, 01:22 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICKING COUNTY FAN View Post
They have been D-6 lately.
I forgot about competitive balance, with that they get an additional 18 kids, so they will be D6 again for the next 2 years.
Old 02-22-18, 01:53 PM
Varsity

nc_green_wave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
I forgot about competitive balance, with that they get an additional 18 kids, so they will be D6 again for the next 2 years.
You are proving your ignorance.

NC has never been D7, they have always been D6.

And even with competitive balance they remain D6.