Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-21-16, 11:29 PM
All District

ccalum
Bad luck at districts

In gambling, they call it a bad beat -- when you seemingly do everything right, but still lose.
In track, it's when you're in a stacked district, run well, and finish 5th.
Worst one I've noticed so far is from the Darby 1 district, where a kid from Logan ran 1:55.8 in the 800 but didn't make regionals.
That's really tough luck.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-16, 11:49 PM
All Region

LoveCrossCountry is on a distinguished road
Yep. That 800 was super tough. The boys 3200 was also the deepest Division I district 3200 in Ohio with 3 under 9:30 and 9 under 10:00.
Old 05-22-16, 12:42 AM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
You too huh? Come check out Northeast Ohio, compare it to last years. Dunno if it's just me but competition seems to have gotten quite a bit more brutal this year, especially in D1, although D2, particularly Bedford, ain't a joyride either. A lot of the 4th place times in many events this year were way faster than last year. Is all of Ohio seeing this?
Old 05-22-16, 05:09 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
A lot of factors go into this stuff every year. Without even looking at results, I can predict that at the Districts that have the better 800 and 3200 times/depth, there is not a lot of kids doubling the 1600/800, 1600/3200 or 800/3200. So it gets skewed and you might think that one District is much better than another when it might not be the case. Also, for every Bedford
D2, there are some rather weak Districts too.

At Bedford the boys 1600 comes down to 4:29.99, 4:30.09 and 4:30.09 for 3rd and 4th. 5th place was one of those 4:30.09's. A 1600 comes down to the thousandths. What do you do if you are the 5th place kid? Complain about tough luck, or go out in the 3200 and qualify? It's all about places at this point. Times are secondary.
Old 05-22-16, 08:11 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
There is a tremendous amount of luck involved. And sometimes a tough district happens when coaches pick thinking about events A and B and forgets C. The district where Woltz from Logan didn't get out had a lot of good distance runners so most guys chose not to double. The Logan kid got caught in that. I don't know if any kids doubling got out. The 3200 was very good in spite of Hunter Moore being injured and unable to run.
Old 05-22-16, 08:24 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Saw a 12 foot girl vaulter no height yesterday when her coaches have her coming in at 11'6".... the whole competition was over and 2nd place was 9'6".

just come in at 9 foot or so and win the thing and move on.
Old 05-22-16, 08:40 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Just from random chance most years you will have districts with events like this. In the high jump in our district we had a girl go 5'2" and not advance and another go 5'0" and not score. When events are stacked it is a big advantage to the deeper teams. Coffman and Thomas had their 4x8 teams go 1-2 and they got seven of the 12 individuals in the boys distance races because they didn't have to have anyone double.
Old 05-22-16, 10:05 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
This is girls noone had worse luck than nordonia, girl was sick antibotics hurt her stomach fell right before line finished 5, dropped a baton 4x200 got dq, would placed at state.A girl got a seizure would finished 4, in a 3200 race got spiked rain with 1 shoe on 1 lap would finish top 4.
Old 05-22-16, 01:50 PM
All Region

LoveCrossCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Saw a 12 foot girl vaulter no height yesterday when her coaches have her coming in at 11'6".... the whole competition was over and 2nd place was 9'6".

just come in at 9 foot or so and win the thing and move on.
The girl is 12 feet tall?
Old 05-22-16, 02:13 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
A lot of factors go into this stuff every year. Without even looking at results, I can predict that at the Districts that have the better 800 and 3200 times/depth, there is not a lot of kids doubling the 1600/800, 1600/3200 or 800/3200. So it gets skewed and you might think that one District is much better than another when it might not be the case. Also, for every Bedford
D2, there are some rather weak Districts too.

At Bedford the boys 1600 comes down to 4:29.99, 4:30.09 and 4:30.09 for 3rd and 4th. 5th place was one of those 4:30.09's. A 1600 comes down to the thousandths. What do you do if you are the 5th place kid? Complain about tough luck, or go out in the 3200 and qualify? It's all about places at this point. Times are secondary.
Bedford was definitely stacked this year on distance. However, overall, I think an argument could be made for Salem boys this year, to compare with Bedford. Bedford obviously gets the nod at distance, but I think in the sprints Salem can compare. Hurdling was actually a fair bit tougher at Salem. Throwing is the one thing Bedford is pretty weak at. LJ/HJ are similar, give or take. Now as for the other districts, Perry certainly has its strengths but doesn't quite compare, the one district that really is way behind the others is Lakeview. This analysis is based on comparing 4th place times/results btw.
Old 05-22-16, 04:02 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Bedford was definitely stacked this year on distance. However, overall, I think an argument could be made for Salem boys this year, to compare with Bedford. Bedford obviously gets the nod at distance, but I think in the sprints Salem can compare. Hurdling was actually a fair bit tougher at Salem. Throwing is the one thing Bedford is pretty weak at. LJ/HJ are similar, give or take. Now as for the other districts, Perry certainly has its strengths but doesn't quite compare, the one district that really is way behind the others is Lakeview. This analysis is based on comparing 4th place times/results btw.
No, There is no argument. And, if you look at the girls it's very lopsided towards Bedford. However, none of that matters cuz all you had to do was finish 4th. It's starts all over next week.
Old 05-22-16, 04:42 PM
All Region

pcbuck is on a distinguished road
The D3 district at Norwayne was highly competitive especially on the girls side. The district had 7 state champions + the team champs last year so this wasn't unexpected. For example, it took a 15.95 to make it out in the 100 hurdles, 47.27 in the 300 hurdles, 2:25 in the 800, and 50.81 in the 4x100 relay.
Old 05-22-16, 05:48 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
At the Perry D2 Girl's District the Indoor State 200 meter Champ finished 5th in the final. And a 5:22 1600 meter runner fell off the pace and finished 5th. A, 5:30 would have won two of the other districts.
Old 05-22-16, 06:01 PM
All American

Pcbuck, that was some kind of district. And the State Champs got edged out for the district championship
Old 05-22-16, 10:39 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
Pcbuck, that was some kind of district. And the State Champs got edged out for the district championship
A surprise, but not a major surprise. St. Thomas still has some studs that will make them a threat at the regional and state meets, but they aren't as deep as last year after graduating a state qualifier in the long jump, a state placer in the pole vault, and 3/4 of their state champion 4x100.

Norwayne girls killed it on the 1st day with 54 points and followed it up with a great day in the finals. They always put a good team on the track and in the field, and this year's team is a relatively young team to boot.

That district has been tough for awhile.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 05-23-16 at 09:06 AM..
Old 05-23-16, 06:46 AM
All Region

pcbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think a few teams were hoping that with your excellent Gilmour team and Trinity moving to D2 that they would go to Independence. That didn't happen, but as the saying goes steel sharpens steel.

I think St Thomas is still the favorite at Navarre with their 7 district champions.
Old 05-23-16, 07:15 AM
All Region

ENA is on a distinguished road
It's all about 3 things.... location, location, and location.
If that district site were elsewhere then the teams would be different. OR if the OSAAA would count all the schools that had competitors as having a "team" it would be different and there may be 4 NE districts for DIII.
looking at results, I'll would bet that the 5th place in every event for girls (and most boys) would have been able to score at the Regional meet.... Not so with any of the other 3 districts.
Mr. slippery is right, it has been like that for the past few years, but this year may be the best (or worst for some).
Looking at the grades, it will be even more magnifide next year in most events.
Old 05-23-16, 09:10 AM
All American

I, would say that St. Thomas to win this weekends regional and to win another State Title at the Jessie O. Buckeye trial could be runner up but i am going with Canton Central Catholic to finish as runner up at Fairless.

Last edited by cvctrackfan; 05-23-16 at 09:42 AM..
Old 05-24-16, 12:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I, would say that St. Thomas to win this weekends regional and to win another State Title at the Jessie O. Buckeye trial could be runner up but i am going with Canton Central Catholic to finish as runner up at Fairless.
Runner-up looks fairly wide open to me. It could come down to who drops a relay baton or who can finish a couple spots higher than seeded in a single event.

Buckeye Trail could win 4 events and get to 40. That will be close, but it looks like we agree that it's not quite enough. I'm looking at 45-50 being the target number for runner-up. McDonald - who generally does well this time of year, Norwayne - who is qualified in a lot of events, and Canton CC are good candidates, but I'm also not overlooking Kirtland - who may not have been pushed as hard at their district, Springfield - who has very high scoring potential in the field, or Rittman - who is not in a lot of events but should place well in the ones they're in. Norwayne's 4x4 getting DQed in the district prelims hurts them more at the regional than it did at the district.
Old 05-26-16, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

After day 1 at Navarre, you can probably scratch Canton CC girls and Rittman girls off as contenders for regional runner-up. Rittman's top-seeded 4x1 FSed, and Canton CC didn't make the 100 final, and only had 1 of its 2 entrants make the 400 final. At this point, Norwayne looks like the frontrunner for the runner-up with McDonald, Kirtland, and Springfield still in the mix.

On the boys' side, it is looking like the team race will be between Maplewood, Smithville, St. Thomas, and Trinity.