Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-01-17, 08:53 AM
All American

4cards is on a distinguished road
...Do you help strangers?

Yesterday, I was at Giant Eagle and a lady with 2 kids (1 walking and 1 in buggy) was at her car and I offered to help her unload them while she took care of the kids. She said thanks when it was done, and I took the buggy back into the store. I wasn't looking for anything from her, just trying to help where I could and I believe that good things come back to you in time. The other side of the coin is the old saying " no good dead goes unpunished" because sometimes trying to help people will end up biting you in the azzzz!

What are your thoughts, do you do random acts of kindness or just keep to yourself?

Last edited by 4cards; 08-01-17 at 09:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-17, 09:42 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Whenever I do I typically start a thread about it or post it on Facebook or MySpace so people tell me what a great person I am.
Old 08-01-17, 09:56 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Whenever I do I typically start a thread about it or post it on Facebook or MySpace so people tell me what a great person I am.
Considering you have tried to humble brag about you helping overseas on here I'd say that does seem pretty accurate
Old 08-01-17, 09:59 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
I think its a good topic. Most people will help strangers under most circumstances.
Old 08-01-17, 10:36 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
I did a good deed today and I'm going to tell you about it.
Old 08-01-17, 11:12 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Yeah but nobody knows who you are. I don't know anyone on here in the real world.
Old 08-01-17, 11:16 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
I never help strangers. The way I see it, when you help people you teach them to be dependent on others and they end up with no personal responsibility.
Old 08-01-17, 11:20 AM
All District

Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
I aid the elderly if I see them struggling with something. Then I wonder why they're out and about on their own.
Old 08-01-17, 11:49 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
I'll hold the door for people, but I generally mind my own business. I don't generally go out of my to help the elderly. My grandparents were very independent and never wanted much help.
In terms of charity, I'm more likely to donate to food and clothing drives than I am to give aid face to face.
Old 08-01-17, 12:23 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I never help strangers. The way I see it, when you help people you teach them to be dependent on others and they end up with no personal responsibility.
That's only if you only hire your government mercenary to do it for you, then tell yourself what a good person you are for it.

Your good to on your own, help that old lady cross the street.
Old 08-01-17, 01:14 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Ted would have answered - "Only if she is hot."
Old 08-01-17, 01:35 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
I miss Ted.

Over the top fun. Or was he serious? hmm.
Old 08-01-17, 02:35 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Considering you have tried to humble brag about you helping overseas on here I'd say that does seem pretty accurate
Well yeah, that's why I said it.
Old 08-01-17, 04:52 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
I have been known to occasionally advice strangers on where to go and what to do when they get there. Sometimes this has been at their request, other times I have volunteered the information to those who seemed to need it.

Always trying to help, that's just me.
Old 08-01-17, 05:00 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Old 08-01-17, 05:05 PM
All Region

domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
I aid the elderly if I see them struggling with something. Then I wonder why they're out and about on their own.
This, especially at Sams Club when I see an elderly person trying to lift something while everyone else walks by.
Old 08-01-17, 05:07 PM
All Region

domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
You'll get more mileage if you post that on Tinder or Twitter.
Old 08-01-17, 05:53 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What a piece of crap you are.
Old 08-01-17, 05:58 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I miss Ted.

I agreed with him about 15% of the time but I did admire his style amongst the many know-everything/done-nothing millennials on this board.
Old 08-01-17, 06:26 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Generally yes. Helped and older lady and her granddaughters pull their boat out of the water today; she said thanks.

I never give money to beggers or let anyone use my cell phone.
Old 08-01-17, 06:30 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
I agreed with him about 15% of the time but I did admire his style amongst the many know-everything/done-nothing millennials on this board.
I agreed with him about 60% of the time but i did admire his style amongst the Holier-Than-Thou/whiny "back in my day" baby boomers on this board.
Old 08-01-17, 06:44 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
what a piece of crap you are.
+1
Old 08-01-17, 06:59 PM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
One time I was at Herald Square walking to the bar to watch soccer and this perfectly ablebodied man, who looked like some regular dad from Findlay Ohio stopped me on the street and said "excuse me sir!". I stopped and in a concerned manner said "yes?" and he said "Can I have 3 dollars?" and I was so freaked out that I just didn't answer him and ran away.
Old 08-01-17, 07:20 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I miss Ted.

Sadly, I just heard what became of poor old Ted

http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/201...ans-death.html
Old 08-01-17, 08:00 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
.... do you do random acts of kindness or just keep to yourself?
I often lend a hand. When you aren't pressed for time, why not ? How often is it that one can't spare a minute or two, really ? I always appreciate when someone helps me. It's important to treat others the way that you'd like to be treated.

I am a large, strong individual, so it's easy to step into a situation confidently, but it's important to smile and speak in a friendly manner and at a bit of a distance first. I kind of look like a big old defensive end, and it's surprising how easily intimidated some people are today.

When I was a very young man, I drove a truck on a daily pick-up route. It went through some pretty ghetto areas on Cleveland's near east side when there was still active manufacturing in some of those 100 yr old factories stuck smack in the middle of neighborhoods. This white boy would drive his truck past people just hanging out, or coming and going, and I'd get nothing but the stink-eye on one particular side street. The houses were right on top of the road. Except for this one old shade-tree mechanic, who was always wrenching on something in his driveway. He looked like he could have played Curtis Lowe in a movie. He'd make eye contact and give a nod and a smile most times. Even an occasional wave.

So, one day the old mechanic and some other old guy are trying to push this Grand Marquise up into his driveway. I put the truck in park and jumped in with the old guys pushing the car. After that, not much stink-eye on the whole street. It made an impression on me that has stuck with me ever since. Be kind
Old 08-01-17, 09:23 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I often lend a hand. When you aren't pressed for time, why not ? How often is it that one can't spare a minute or two, really ? I always appreciate when someone helps me. It's important to treat others the way that you'd like to be treated........It made an impression on me that has stuck with me ever since. Be kind
Excellent lesson.

I had an experience that has stuck with me. 1991, had just bought a used car. Going home from work, the car died right on I-670 in downtown, right during rush hour.

Some real-estate sales lady driving a Cadillac with something called a "cellular telephone" pulls up behind, checks to make sure I'm okay, then calls AAA for me, and also calls my wife to come get me. The wife and tow truck arrive, I thank the lady profusely, and she says, "Aw, it was nothing, glad I could help", and leaves.

Wife goes with the tow truck to give directions to our auto shop. I get ready to drive her car, when two black guys leave their stopped car across from the opposite lanes and ask if I can give them a lift to their shop to get a tow.

My initial thought was, "Why me? Can't someone else help them". My second thought was, "God, you're trying to tell me something aren't you?"

I can't tell you how bad I felt when those guys thanked me profusely after I dropped them off at the shop. The lady in the Caddy had stopped to help me of her own free will, without being asked. I had to be goaded to pay it forward.
Old 08-01-17, 09:25 PM
All Ohio

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
I help others whenever opportunities present themselves. Small gestures of kindness, giving to worthy causes, etc. Giving is good for the soul, especially when the recipient can not repay you. The Bible says when you give to the poor, God repays you. That's a win-win as I see it.
Old 08-01-17, 09:40 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
I try but strangers are scared of me....
Old 08-02-17, 07:43 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
I agreed with him about 60% of the time but i did admire his style amongst the Holier-Than-Thou/whiny "back in my day" baby boomers on this board.
Well played.

At least you admit you are a know-it-all Millennial with zero life experience.
Old 08-02-17, 07:46 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I often lend a hand. When you aren't pressed for time, why not ? How often is it that one can't spare a minute or two, really ? I always appreciate when someone helps me. It's important to treat others the way that you'd like to be treated.

I am a large, strong individual, so it's easy to step into a situation confidently, but it's important to smile and speak in a friendly manner and at a bit of a distance first. I kind of look like a big old defensive end, and it's surprising how easily intimidated some people are today.

When I was a very young man, I drove a truck on a daily pick-up route. It went through some pretty ghetto areas on Cleveland's near east side when there was still active manufacturing in some of those 100 yr old factories stuck smack in the middle of neighborhoods. This white boy would drive his truck past people just hanging out, or coming and going, and I'd get nothing but the stink-eye on one particular side street. The houses were right on top of the road. Except for this one old shade-tree mechanic, who was always wrenching on something in his driveway. He looked like he could have played Curtis Lowe in a movie. He'd make eye contact and give a nod and a smile most times. Even an occasional wave.

So, one day the old mechanic and some other old guy are trying to push this Grand Marquise up into his driveway. I put the truck in park and jumped in with the old guys pushing the car. After that, not much stink-eye on the whole street. It made an impression on me that has stuck with me ever since. Be kind
Regardless of race, creed, gender, or age, I will stop when I see someone stranded on the side of the road.

If anyone needs help I will usually give it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: