Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-31-17, 10:10 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
NYC Homeless Complain about Accommodations in Wealthy Area

Interesting article about how the City of New York is putting the homeless in hotels in the Financial District and their complaints about the high costs of living in the area-

http://nypost.com/2017/07/31/homeles...t-afford-food/
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-17, 10:14 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Go to a god damn super market and buy 100 things of Ramen noodles and eat that for the next month. Idiots.
Old 07-31-17, 10:36 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Go to a god damn super market and buy 100 things of Ramen noodles and eat that for the next month. Idiots.
But, but, but Taco,

My room is one bed, no microwave, no refrigerator, and I am sleeping on the bed with my two kids, said Riggon, 25. Its just terrible being here. I dont get treated like a human; I am treated like Im in jail.
Old 07-31-17, 10:54 AM
All District

Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
This country needs to seriously invest in mental health institutions, specifically the live-in care types. Most homeless people lack the mental capacity - typically from drug abuse, low IQ, or mental illness - to properly care for themselves. It's very sad, especially for the children who are stuck in these terrible situations.
Old 07-31-17, 11:07 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Max
Old 07-31-17, 11:17 AM
All District

Care to explain what's so funny?
Old 07-31-17, 11:19 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
But, but, but Taco,

My room is one bed, no microwave, no refrigerator, and I am sleeping on the bed with my two kids, said Riggon, 25. Its just terrible being here. I dont get treated like a human; I am treated like Im in jail.
Yeah, that bit bugged the hell out of me. I wonder what street corner she was living on that had a microwave and refrigerator.
Old 07-31-17, 12:00 PM
All Yappi

How'd you like to take the family to NYC for a little vacation to learn the the guest next door is some homeless guy with an untreated mental illness?
Old 07-31-17, 12:05 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
This country needs to seriously invest in mental health institutions, specifically the live-in care types. Most homeless people lack the mental capacity - typically from drug abuse, low IQ, or mental illness - to properly care for themselves. It's very sad, especially for the children who are stuck in these terrible situations.
Amen. The majority of poor people in my old neighborhood are self medicating drug addicts with mental problems. Our mental health and drug care in this country are pitiful.

This story makes sense when you think of the 67 year old who does not want to be identified talking about how him and his wife came to live in a shelter so they could save money, not be thrown into the richest neighborhood in the city and pay $17 for a sandwich.

Then you get highly irritated when you read this, “My room is one bed, no microwave, no refrigerator, and I am sleeping on the bed with my two kids,” said Riggon, 25. “It’s just terrible being here. I don’t get treated like a human; I am treated like I’m in jail.” This is from a 25 year old with a 6 and a 2 year old and she is pregnant again.

The first person "gets it". The second believes in a nice handout. Where are the babies father(s)? Quit getting pregnant. The economy is booming and you cannot find a job? Or you choose not to find a job because you make more on welfare? I bet she has a cell phone better than mine and wears name brand clothes. It has to hurt just a little in order to get better sweetheart.
Old 07-31-17, 12:47 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Hard to believe - in 2016, NYC tripled the number of homeless people they put up in hotels, from 4% to 12%.

They also want to increase the amount they spend for to help tenants fight evictions from $64 million a year to $80 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/07/n...ty-hotels.html
Old 07-31-17, 12:57 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You might not have heard of de-institutiation. In the 70's liberals covinced the powers that be to keep mentally ill people in varius types of psychiatric facilities was cruel and that the metaly ill should be set free to live their own lives as they saw fit. Thus we ended up with all these crazy people roaming our streets. If we tried to put them back into pyschiatric care, the ACLU and other like organizations would be filing suit in a flash.
Old 07-31-17, 03:10 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Amen. The majority of poor people in my old neighborhood are self medicating drug addicts with mental problems.
Yeah, like they're any different from your "new" neighbors. At least your new, they do have that delusional thing going for them.

Almost everyone of those self-medicating types can trace the source of their legally prescribed "medicines" to a doctor in your new neighborhood. Interesting that. I would love a study on the density of legally medicated in the neighborhoods, be it opioids or ADHD medications. We have more joint replacements than the jeep factory. This is victim and prey, not "let's go to the river and get buzzed" like back in the day. The pushers now a days have the full force of the government behind them.

I don't know about in the many different forms of government housing our lovely liberal politicians from over the river have forced on us, but the remander is still well huddled together trying to make do and resolved the problem. It hit so fast, no one really understood what was going on.
Old 07-31-17, 05:55 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
This is victim and prey, not "let's go to the river and get buzzed" like back in the day. The pushers now a days have the full force of the government behind them.
This is spot on.

My mom worked as a nurse at the old Toledo Mental Hospital on S. Detroit Ave. One day the funding stopped and the doors shut. I remember asking her what happened to all of the patients? E. Toledo and the N. End. Cheap subsidized housing. I do not know how many people we'd run into in the neighborhood that she said was a former patient.

Regardless, it is 2017, mental illness and addiction need to be treated properly.
Old 08-01-17, 11:03 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
You might not have heard of de-institutiation. In the 70's liberals covinced the powers that be to keep mentally ill people in varius types of psychiatric facilities was cruel and that the metaly ill should be set free to live their own lives as they saw fit. Thus we ended up with all these crazy people roaming our streets. If we tried to put them back into pyschiatric care, the ACLU and other like organizations would be filing suit in a flash.
I don't know how true that is. Outside of the radical left, I believe most people have seen enough to reconsider. Surely it is more humane to have the mentally ill, drug addicts, and cognitively deficient in facilities where they can receive the care they need rather than being stuck on the streets.
Old 08-01-17, 11:07 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't know how true that is. Outside of the radical left, I believe most people have seen enough to reconsider. Surely it is more humane to have the mentally ill, drug addicts, and cognitively deficient in facilities where they can receive the care they need rather than being stuck on the streets.
Well you are also using logic which seems to be a rarity amongst our politicians and SJWs
Old 08-01-17, 11:17 AM
All District

Quote:
Yeah, like they're any different from your "new" neighbors. At least your new, they do have that delusional thing going for them.

Almost everyone of those self-medicating types can trace the source of their legally prescribed "medicines" to a doctor in your new neighborhood. Interesting that. I would love a study on the density of legally medicated in the neighborhoods, be it opioids or ADHD medications. We have more joint replacements than the jeep factory. This is victim and prey, not "let's go to the river and get buzzed" like back in the day. The pushers now a days have the full force of the government behind them.

I don't know about in the many different forms of government housing our lovely liberal politicians from over the river have forced on us, but the remander is still well huddled together trying to make do and resolved the problem. It hit so fast, no one really understood what was going on.
What on earth...Are you trying to draw parallels between people who are on proper meds and take them as they are prescribed and people who abuse? That's what it appears you are attempting to do. This is a ridiculous "we're all the same, it's all the same" pseudo-intellectual relativist emotionally driven BS argument.
Old 08-01-17, 11:56 AM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
My wife is taking doctor prescribed Percocet right now. Can someone give me an estimate of how soon she will OD from fentanyl-laced Mexican heroin? I understand that one automatically leads to the other.
Old 08-01-17, 12:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
What on earth...Are you trying to draw parallels between people who are on proper meds and take them as they are prescribed and people who abuse?
Since I didn't write anything like that, I'm going to go with "no." No parallels were described.

Are you looking for someone to confront or trying to discuss a topic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
My wife is taking doctor prescribed Percocet right now. Can someone give me an estimate of how soon she will OD from fentanyl-laced Mexican heroin?
Why? You looking to buy a life insurance policy? I'd say sooner is better than too later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
I understand that one automatically leads to the other.
You have our sincere prayers that your understanding is wrong and further hopes that there is no connection whatsoever. The later would apparently be denying the statistics and perhaps the reality but we can hope for your family's sake.

You're not riding that false dichotomey still, are you (maybe that was a different poster)? There are apparently many paths to addiction of this stuff, not all apparently recreational abuse. So again, your wife has our best wishes. I personally wouldn't touch the crap, I've still two unopened bottles from a recent operation. The pain a lot less scary than the risk. Maybe recommend to your wife, if it's possible to kick out, uh, mitigate the source of pain some other way?....
Old 08-01-17, 12:28 PM
All District

Quote:
Since I didn't write anything like that, I'm going to go with "no." No parallels were described.

Are you looking for someone to confront or trying to discuss a topic?
Interesting.

What were you saying when you were drawing parallels between the "new neighborhood people" and the "old neighborhood people" if you were not, in fact, saying "everyone is on drugs"?
Old 08-01-17, 12:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Interesting.

What were you saying when you were drawing parallels
I just said EXPLICITLY I wasn't drawing parallels. What about that is difficult? You're not understanding the word?
Old 08-01-17, 12:35 PM
All District

Actions. Words. You know the drill.

You were drawing parallels. Backtracking and then refusing to acknowledge it does not change the fact.
Old 08-01-17, 01:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Actions. Words. You know the drill.

You were drawing parallels. Backtracking and then refusing to acknowledge it does not change the fact.
that it's not a fact. If you can't differentiate between a similarity and a distinction, that's on you. If you feel an obsessive need to tell others how they believe or to invent confrontation, that's on you.

You've had two opportunities now to be specific but seem to prefer obfuscation and confrontation. You've been called out on this, in several threads by other posters.

If you want to DISCUSS, let's discuss. If you're only interested in confrontation, gtfo.

There are no opinions in my post I need to "backtrack" from, and there were no parallels being drawn. If there are facts I'm unaware of, provide. If you describe clearly what you think this parallel was, maybe I'll agree the fault lies with me or at the least, be better able to clarify.
Old 08-01-17, 05:00 PM
All Region

domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Hard to believe - in 2016, NYC tripled the number of homeless people they put up in hotels, from 4% to 12%.

They also want to increase the amount they spend for to help tenants fight evictions from $64 million a year to $80 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/07/n...ty-hotels.html
That's a crazy amount of money to shelter the homeless but from what I got out of the article NY is required to shelter them. I wonder if there is any correlation between homeless out on the streets and drop in tourism so it's out of sight and out of mind.

I was in New Orleans a month ago for a few days and I was amazed at the homeless population. There were one or two on every corner in the French Quarter with half of them having dogs.
Old 08-01-17, 09:43 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by domi View Post

I was in New Orleans a month ago for a few days and I was amazed at the homeless population. There were one or two on every corner in the French Quarter with half of them having dogs.
It's quite a different vibe there, isn't it?

The wife and I were there three years ago, our hotel just outside the French quarter. We would walk down the street in the evening to get bite to eat, and we'd pass these guys relaxing in lawn chairs on the sidewalk under the storefront overhangs. Then we'd go out for an early breakfast, and we'd pass the same guys asleep on the chairs or stretched out on the concrete near the doors, out of the way of pedestrians.

One of the guys would always be on watch when we went by, and would casually wave or nod to us. No soliciting, no signs or cups. Very laid-back. They had their "space" tidy and organized. We figured that was why it was called "The Big Easy".
Old 08-06-17, 04:48 PM
All District

Quote:
that it's not a fact. If you can't differentiate between a similarity and a distinction, that's on you. If you feel an obsessive need to tell others how they believe or to invent confrontation, that's on you.

You've had two opportunities now to be specific but seem to prefer obfuscation and confrontation. You've been called out on this, in several threads by other posters.

If you want to DISCUSS, let's discuss. If you're only interested in confrontation, gtfo.

There are no opinions in my post I need to "backtrack" from, and there were no parallels being drawn. If there are facts I'm unaware of, provide. If you describe clearly what you think this parallel was, maybe I'll agree the fault lies with me or at the least, be better able to clarify.
I am not going to make distinctions that were not made. You drew those parallels and now are too weak to stand by them.

Your weak attempts to backtrack and change the topic are contemptible. As far as I am concerned, you are a weasel. I have no interest in interacting with your kind.

I will have no more of this "conversation."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: