Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-08-17, 03:06 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
2017 Recreational Golf thread

Got out for my 2nd time today. Joined 111411 at Chenoweth, in Green Township.

Some easy holes, some that require thinking your way through. Course was in decent shape-not great, but not awful.

Great tee time at 8:45. Slow golf really backed the course up behind us.

Hope all the regulars from years past on this thread have gotten out a bit so far this spring!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-17, 04:01 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Have not played yet in '17, not even a driving range yet. Hope too soon!
Old 06-08-17, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Got out for my 2nd time today. Joined 111411 at Chenoweth, in Green Township.

Some easy holes, some that require thinking your way through. Course was in decent shape-not great, but not awful.

Great tee time at 8:45. Slow golf really backed the course up behind us.

Hope all the regulars from years past on this thread have gotten out a bit so far this spring!
Another enjoyable outing with Myron. My round was better known as The Nightmare in Green. Shanks, trees, poor putting, terrible short game....... I think I've covered it all.

This past week has been a cluster.
Old 06-08-17, 08:18 PM
All American

4cards will become famous soon enough
...great day today with my son st Youngstown C.C., just the two of us and nobody ahead of us (3hr round and even stopped to eat at the turn for 20 mins). I hit it pretty well and my boy was like 10 over today with lightning fast greens. Looking foreword to playing with dome of you guys this summer
Old 06-08-17, 08:52 PM
Cooling Off

Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
Been a rough season for me so far.
Old 06-09-17, 07:47 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Had my worst round in recent memory Tuesday night in my league, then rebounded to play well in a scramble Wednesday. Damn game. It has been a wildly inconsistent year, with at least one big number killer hole in every round. Shot 44 a couple of weeks ago with two doubles and a triple!

Myron, only your second round and it is June?!
Old 06-09-17, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Folks are not playing that much golf currently and that includes me. I use to play almost weekly from May through October and carried a single digit handicap, this year the only golf related activity year to date has been 15 minutes of chipping in the back yard. Golf is currently trending way down, just look at how many courses have closed so far the past 12 months. The bottom line is it takes too long to play and the basic game in the US has not evolved; it is way too much focused on stroke play with duffers grinding from the black tees on tricked up modern courses to make a 9.
Old 06-09-17, 11:05 AM
All World

oldline70
Amen Auggie. Up till about 2007-8, I played in a league once a week that ran from April till Labor Day-ish. Then, once league was over we'd go out weekly one way or another till the time changed. I'm not sure what happened in there over the the last 8 -9 years, but I find personally I don't have as much time to play as I used to. Busy with family, busy with work - there just doesn't seem to be as much disposable/discretionary time as there used to be - so consequently what little there is, I'm hesitant to use playing a 2 hour round of golf even though I do like to play.

The Moose League I was in at the time once had 50 golfers in 2 flights, and most of those guys are 6 feet under now. Young golfers aren't staying with the game like the old diehard are, seemingly.

I was never a great golfer but I did hold my own, and it was the vision of getting better and striving for albeit small improvements that kept me coming back. But like a lot of people the time element hurts me today. Not even the cost of the game, but the time.

I'm very sad to see Oak Knolls and other area courses closing down. It's sad but I understand that making money with a golf course with the unpredictability of the weather in NE Ohio and consumer's pocketbooks is a struggle at best.
Old 06-09-17, 12:44 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
I'd played quite a bit so far.

I'm not really sure that golf is trending down. Most times I've been out this year have been busy, especially compared to last year.
Old 06-09-17, 03:01 PM
All Yappi

We've lost 4 courses in my area in the last year. My closest course is now booming because of it, but by and large the market is down substantially. New course starts are at an all-time low and courses from local tracks to big dollar publics and privates are being shuttered. From 2006 to 2016, over 800 courses closed nationally. Even China, the hottest growing market, has been hit. Big time manufacturers are trying to bail, with Nike pulling the plug on equipment and Adidas trying to sell TaylorMade.

All the while, the game gets more expensive to play and the time needed to play it goes up with hacks pondering over every shot like it's the damn US Open.
Old 06-10-17, 06:35 PM
All American

I'm all for that, Auggie--less traffic on the courses for those of us who want to limit this activity to four hours max. If it trends downward, I'm all for that!

Ones and I got paired with a couple guys the other day at Chenoweth, and we reeled off three Akron/Kent area courses that have shuttered over the past couple years: Oak Knoll, Kent State, and Maplecrest.

Headed to Coppertop for a very early 18 on Hot Tuesday, and planning to get out to Grey Hawk Thursday.
Old 06-10-17, 07:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm all for that, Auggie--less traffic on the courses for those of us who want to limit this activity to four hours max. If it trends downward, I'm all for that!

Ones and I got paired with a couple guys the other day at Chenoweth, and we reeled off three Akron/Kent area courses that have shuttered over the past couple years: Oak Knoll, Kent State, and Maplecrest.

Headed to Coppertop for a very early 18 on Hot Tuesday, and planning to get out to Grey Hawk Thursday.
Green Hills in Brimfield too Myron, along with Mogadore 4 or 5 years ago. Sunny Hill is going nuts. Valley View in Akron closed up shop for last year.
Old 06-11-17, 12:57 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Green Hills in Brimfield too Myron, along with Mogadore 4 or 5 years ago. Sunny Hill is going nuts. Valley View in Akron closed up shop for last year.
Where is Sunny Hill?
Old 06-11-17, 03:55 PM
All Yappi

In Brimfield, less than a mile from where Maplecrest was.
Old 06-13-17, 03:23 PM
All American

Hot out there today! 7:30 tee time greatly lowered my chances for heat exhaustion today.

Wound up at a Lorain County pasture called Pine Brook. Speaking of dying courses, this one was on its last rites just a few years ago, but there must have been 50 golfers when I left the course at 11 AM.

Headed to Grey Hawk Thursday, and trying to keep trending upward with my course selections next week with Ones and wherever his ESPN pass takes him & his offspring.
Old 06-13-17, 08:54 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hot out there today! 7:30 tee time greatly lowered my chances for heat exhaustion today.

Wound up at a Lorain County pasture called Pine Brook. Speaking of dying courses, this one was on its last rites just a few years ago, but there must have been 50 golfers when I left the course at 11 AM.

Headed to Grey Hawk Thursday, and trying to keep trending upward with my course selections next week with Ones and wherever his ESPN pass takes him & his offspring.
Keep the fluids flowing! And, watch for ticks. Saw one on a fence section I was working on about a week ago and woke up in the middle of the night a few days ago to feel one trying to pry into my skull. Key word: trying!
Old 06-13-17, 09:49 PM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Indian Hollow Lake GC, between Grafton and Lagrange. Not the best, but some very interesting holes.
Old 06-22-17, 02:58 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Played Hawthorne Valley in Solon a couple days ago: https://www.hawthornevalleygc.com/

A Donald Ross design that was private for 80+ years finally going public a few years ago. Got to play it a few times when it was one of the Jewish private clubs on the east side of CLE; while conditions are solid it is not quite up to where they were during their private days. Specifically the sand traps are a little rough and on some holes the rough was not cut in quite a few days leading to some lost balls that missed the fairway by only a few paces. In general it appears they are saving $s on mowing cost as some areas that use to be mowed, like the area under the tress in parallel fairways, has turned into hay. Greens were great though and would make me go back again.

Nonetheless you have to love the fact you can now play another classic Ross course with some great examples of his famous touches like false front greens, elevation changes that require strategy from the tee and diabolical green complexes for a great price. 17 below is a great example. From the back tee only 440 yards but its a slight dogleg right so anything on the right side of the fairway and you are blocked by the trees, left of the fairway and you may run into the lake. The 2nd shot to a pedestal green though is where things get really interesting. Back when it was private the rough on the left side was cut short so any miss left of the green was in the lake, if short you would roll back onto the shaved pitching apron and have a knee knocker 10 feet up to the green, if right you hoped that the rough would catch it before the woods but then again the green slopes severely to the lake and it almost never held a ball hit from that side. The English style pot bunker was probably the best path to save par but you better be able to get the ball up quickly and stop it on a dime. Wonder what it was like playing this thing in 1927 when the course was opened?

Old 06-22-17, 05:48 PM
All American

Wow! Some challenging hole. I worried you might suggest the pot bunker as the best strategy. Getting away with a five would likely make me giddy - maybe even a six. Thanks for the photo and commentary. Would love to see others. Anyone?

BTW, the Wyndham Championship is held at nearby Sedgefield, another Donald Ross course. Brief descriptions of the holes:

http://www.wyndhamchampionship.com/a...-country-club/
Old 07-02-17, 11:02 AM
All Region

vikes 87 is on a distinguished road
Have been out 8 times this year local cincinnati area, once in march in NC , 2 times in myrtle beach on vacation, all 8 times local been slow play in front of us. had one guy join our group un invited because his group in front of us was slow , i asked him if he thought it was going to get faster by joining us.
Old 07-02-17, 11:16 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Subbed several times at my friends golf league at the Kings Island golf center, not my favorite place to play, but a great group of guys to be around (think tank caliber). Beyond that it's been a pretty spotty year for me this summer. Hope to make time over this month.
Old 07-02-17, 01:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes 87 View Post
Have been out 8 times this year local cincinnati area, once in march in NC , 2 times in myrtle beach on vacation, all 8 times local been slow play in front of us. had one guy join our group un invited because his group in front of us was slow , i asked him if he thought it was going to get faster by joining us.
^ If he wasn't "the slowest guy", the answer would be "no". If he was "the slowest guy", the answer would be "yes". Just not for your group! Guess he thought he was doing a good thing. Maybe, they should have let you play through instead. Glad you got to enjoy the Carolina courses!
Old 07-02-17, 03:30 PM
All Region

vikes 87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
^ If he wasn't "the slowest guy", the answer would be "no". If he was "the slowest guy", the answer would be "yes". Just not for your group! Guess he thought he was doing a good thing. Maybe, they should have let you play through instead. Glad you got to enjoy the Carolina courses!
Carolina course was nice BAYMOUNT BAY in N.C was awesome they was still doing work from the hurricane last year but a nice course for the 3rd week of March. he wasnt doing us a favor he was trying to coach us every ole i told him on 8 look buddy im not getting paid your not getting paid so lets just play ready golf . if your putting im getting ready to putt as soon as ur done. group in front was 4 walkers standing tee time every saturday just slow and they know it. by 16 it was pretty backed up .
Old 07-02-17, 05:23 PM
All American

Vikes87, dang that's a wild indictment on the state of slow play if I've ever heard one!

We all have those uncomfortably slow friends we end up getting stuck playing with at times (I.e., as the last member in the group to tee off, slice a tee shot out of play, walk back to the cart to get a mulligan ball, and start their entire pre-shot routine over...)
Old 07-02-17, 09:49 PM
All American

It should be a requirement that all golfers have taken an etiquette course before being allowed to play. A simple national database could be employed for verification. And, courses could automatically give a discount to golfers who have done so. Or, print a bullet-point list of the top ten "golf manners" on the back of the scorecard. Still, I imagine there would be some bad apples...

Last edited by EagleGuy; 07-03-17 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-03-17, 07:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
It should be a requirement that all golfers have taken an etiquette course before being allowed to play. A simple national database could be employed for verification. And, courses could automatically give a discount to golfers who have done. Or, print a bullet-point list of the top ten "golf manners" on the back of the scorecard. Still, I imagine there would be some bad apples...
That assumes they can read, or would read it.

Golf has created a huge mass of participants that didn't grow up playing the game and learning its intricacies and etiquette. As a result, they imitate what they see on TV, pondering over every damn shot and putt like it is for the US Open, or treating the local course and their round like it is a freaking Browns game. It is maddening.
Old 07-03-17, 09:11 AM
All American

4cards will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
That assumes they can read, or would read it.

Golf has created a huge mass of participants that didn't grow up playing the game and learning its intricacies and etiquette. As a result, they imitate what they see on TV, pondering over every damn shot and putt like it is for the US Open, or treating the local course and their round like it is a freaking Browns game. It is maddening.
...this was very evident yesterday. The plan was to play 18 at Mill Creek in Boardman and we were only able to get 9 holes in before we gave up. We played the first hole and after that the group of 2 let us play through (very rare on a public course). After that we had nothing but slow play (4'somes) that wouldn't allow us through saying "where are you going to go, it's real slow ahead of us." These same fools weren't raking the bunkers, not replacing divots, leaving empty beer cans on the tee box.
After watching this for 5 or 6 holes and the number of slow players still ahead of us, we went into the pro shop and they gave us a rain check to come back another time. If there was ever a reason to join a private club, I got it yesterday...!
Old 07-03-17, 09:20 AM
All World

coolguy is on a distinguished road
Been out several times.
Usually scoring in the low/mid 90's.
Just bought new set of irons
Just need to learn to use them now lol.

Low score of the season is 86 at Pebble Creek.

Just played Aston Oaks for 1st time ever. Worst score of the season (103) but I only lost 4 golf balls on the round which I've been told is impressive for the mixture of my game + my first time on that course.

Biggest attribute I have is hitting off the tee. My driver is averaging around 260 and I'm hitting the fairway more times than not.

Putting isn't too bad. Usually good on speed but some of the newer greens or more challenging gives me problems with alignment.

Irons .... the worst of my game which is probably the norm for most. I have just 3 rounds with the new set of irons. Been thinking about investing in a few lessons to help this aspect of the game. When I shot the 86 earlier this year, my irons were the best I've ever had. That score could've been lower with a few 3-putt holes I had.

Going out today to work on some irons. Hitting Pebble Creek tomorrow with 3 friends.

Last edited by coolguy; 07-03-17 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-03-17, 08:59 PM
All American

Coolguy, have you played Deer Ridge? I love that course
Old 07-03-17, 11:34 PM
All World

coolguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Coolguy, have you played Deer Ridge? I love that course
I have not. What area is it?

Shot a 90 today at Avon. Hitting Pebble Creek tomorrow.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: