Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-17, 08:10 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Diva - this is for you and the Monclovas.

In order to see and hear Judy Collins' song about her grandmother Google JUDY COLLINS - Secret Gardens 1995. It has 6,475 views.
Other info. said published (I think that means the posting) on Sept. 3, 2012.
Old 08-06-17, 08:36 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
When the girls in our neighborhood showed up, we played kickball instead of baseball or wiffle ball. Those kickball games were actually pretty fun ... OK, doing anything with the neighbor girls was fun.
Yes, I believe the girls preferred kickball and it, too, was fun. Truth told, I believe they talked us into playing Red Rover one time. Glad we were in our back yard with only "the woods" behind our house.
Old 08-06-17, 09:23 PM
All District

Diva is on a distinguished road
Actually, I'm in the house more often than I let on.

I like to listen to men goof around; you're way more fun than snarky women.
Old 08-06-17, 10:18 PM
All American

D. I meant "the house of Yappi"

Eagle guy - we played Red Rover constantly at recess. Our game involved two sides facing each other, somewhere around 15 yards a apart, with approx. 10 in each line, and then chanting, "Red Rover, Red Rover, let... Marcia come over."
I ask my friend Chuck, school stud, to ask Marcia once and she came barreling right at us and practically broke off my wrist.
She was probably shocked several years later that I could hold her so tightly at those MYF affairs.
Old 08-06-17, 11:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
D. I meant "the house of Yappi"

Eagle guy - we played Red Rover constantly at recess. Our game involved two sides facing each other, somewhere around 15 yards a apart, with approx. 10 in each line, and then chanting, "Red Rover, Red Rover, let... Marcia come over."
I ask my friend Chuck, school stud, to ask Marcia once and she came barreling right at us and practically broke off my wrist.
She was probably shocked several years later that I could hold her so tightly at those MYF affairs.
You were just a scamp, a real Katzenjamer!

Other than grade school recess or gym (did we have boys 'n girls gym classes?), the aforementioned instance was the only time I remember getting talked into playing RR. My brother and I were, respectively, 14 and 15 while the girls were 12 and 13. Yes, we were that old! As I mentioned, they were cuties and at the expense of sounding like a dirty old man, the younger was, uhh...er...uhm..., "blessed". We all got a big kick out of the girls' repeated attempts to break through our holds. We, too, were Katzenjamers!
Old 08-07-17, 05:39 AM
All District

Yes, you all are very polite to women, which is a very attractive trait. Men can be men but still be kind. This group has nothing but gentlemen.

I enjoy the reminiscing of the old-school games that I used to play, too. (However, I was younger than 11 when o stopped played Red Rover.) Mother May I, Frozen Tag, Red Light Green Light, Simon Says--all were played by me, my sisters, and the neighborhood kids. We rode bikes everywhere without helmets but we knew the hand signals because we were taught at school during a bike safety course. I rode miles away, always following the sidewalk and learning to read street signs so I wouldn't get lost.

We roller skated until Mom made us take them off in the house but I loved the feeling of flying down our slightly sloped driveway. Looking at the yard on Googlemaps that I thought was so enormous as a child, I see now it was a normal big yard, not the expanse it seemed to be when I was little.

My parents are both gone now, but I so appreciate the life they gave me. So many experiences, providing a safe, happy home to grow up in with my seven siblings. I understand now how rare that is.
Old 08-07-17, 06:45 AM
All American

Can't say it any better than that.
Old 08-07-17, 11:13 AM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Here's a throwback video and a history lesson for our younger posters. For the veterans, it might provide a grin or two:

Quote:
On August 6, 1960, Chubby Checker appeared on US TV show American Bandstand and performed 'The Twist.' The song went to No.1 on the US chart and again 18 months later in 1962. It is the only song to go to the top of the charts on two separate occasions

ROCK ON!
Old 08-07-17, 11:37 AM
All American

When I first saw the rock and roll movies of the early 60's, including the one with Joey Dee and The Starlighters doing Shout, I thought it looked like the most fun thing in the world. I wanted to go to The Peppermint Lounge!

That date was just days before I turned nine.

Chubby Checker is 75 and Joey Dee is 76; still performing!

Last edited by Bevo; 08-07-17 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-07-17, 03:16 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
When I first saw the rock and roll movies of the early 60's, including the one with Joey Dee and The Starlighters doing Shout, I thought it looked like the most fun thing in the world. I wanted to go to The Peppermint Lounge!

That date was just days before I turned nine.

Chubby Checker is 75 and Joey Dee is 76; still performing!
Weird coincidence - Doug Oscard, a central Ohio drummer who I've come to know over the last two years, recently posted a photo on his FB page from his past when he was the Starliter's drummer in the early 1980's. Naturally, Joey had the "big hair" of the day, whilst wearing a tux.

There are a few recent videos of Joey Dee still performing, but I thought this was a more interesting vid, supposedly the Starliter's first TV appearance on Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour, with Joey playing sax.

Old 08-07-17, 03:40 PM
All American

Wow! That is amazing. I remember Ted Mack's Show. More of that raucous Rock and Roll.

Everyone knows Joe Pesci (pictured) was a Starlighter, right?

"Thank you very much; How about we hear just a little bit of "Shout" now... ." Part two with that whinnnig organ and that crashing cymbal made me feel all funny inside! One of the handful of 45's I bought at that time.
Old 08-07-17, 06:20 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
There are a few recent videos of Joey Dee still performing, but I thought this was a more interesting vid, supposedly the Starliter's first TV appearance on Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour, with Joey playing sax.
Zunardo - What a great find! The video is entertaining on many levels. Yes, there were some artists other than Chubby Checker making hits with "Twist" recordings. The accordion as part of a rock and roll band is a telltale sign of music in 1956.

I was super lucky to see Joey Dee and the Starliters perform during the summer of 1963, right before my junior year in high school. This was a time when lots of entertainers traveled on their own or with the "Caravan of Stars". In the case of Joey Dee and the Starliters, they were touring solo. The performance was part of Hi-Teens at the Firestone Park YMCA in Akron. The Starliters showed up first with their instruments. Then, in front of a rowdy crowd (by early 60's standards), Joey Dee made his entrance. He (actually his driver) pulled up in front of the YMCA in a green Cadillac. The show was really good and included "Peppermint Twist", "Shout, "What Kind of Love is This" and some other "goodies". After the show, Joey sprinted to the green Cadillac and, apparently, to his next gig.

Back in the 60s, before Woodstock and the huge venues, it was common to see many of the top rock and folk stars/groups in concert at college gyms and smaller clubs. It was a great time and I'm really happy to have had the opportunity to experience it.

ROCK ON!
Old 08-07-17, 07:17 PM
All American

"Time it was and what a time it was. It was a time of innocence, a time of confidences. Long ago it must be I have a photograph. Preserve your memories. There all that's left you." - Paul Simon, Bookends

This is from The Huddle days but I saw The Left Banke of "Walk Away Renee" and "Pretty Ballerina" fame at Madison High School in Mansfield in the fall of '67.

I have told the story about "The Jordan Parker Review", being the opening act. One of their members, a guy named Joe Dirck went on to write for the now defunct Columbus Citizen Journal. He wrote a column one week about his rock days and I sent him a letter, which he graciously replied to at length.

The Left Banke at Madison High School! I believe it cost $2.00 to get in.

"Walk Away Renee" led me to "Scarborough Fair".

Last edited by Bevo; 08-07-17 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-08-17, 05:22 PM
All American

Much more to say about this but musical genius, Glen Campbell, has passed away.
Old 08-08-17, 07:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Much more to say about this but musical genius, Glen Campbell, has passed away.
Yes Bevo, Glen Campbell was one of music's superstars. The video below, "I'll Be Me", does of nice (but sad) job of documenting his career and illness:

Quote:
In 2011, music legend Glen Campbell set out on an unprecedented tour across America. He thought it would last 5 weeks; instead it went for 151 spectacular sold out shows over a triumphant year and a half. What made this tour extraordinary was that Glen had recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. He was told to hang up his guitar.

RIP GLEN CAMPBELL
Old 08-08-17, 07:34 PM
All American

I had the privilege of seeing Glen, his daughter and his band at the Ritz Theater in Tiffin about 10-15 years. It was his Christmas show and it was great!

Liked him a lot; lived his life out loud and then some. Member of The Wrecking Crew.

When his Glen Campbell Good Time Hour came on as a summer replacement for The Smothers' Brothers' Comedy Hour in the summer of '67 (remember summer replacement shows?), it was a revelation to me. Fortunately, Bonanza had run its course at my house so, Glen and The Smothers were always on Sunday nights at 9:00.

I loved the songs "Galveston", "By The Time I Get to Phoenix" (both early Jimmy Webb songs) and Gentle on My Mind (the great John Hartford).

RIP - the great, Glen Campbell
Old 08-08-17, 07:57 PM
All District

I loved By the Time I Get to Phoenix. Such a sad song. I really liked him.
Old 08-08-17, 08:07 PM
All American

One of the greats. RIP Glen Campbell.
Old 08-09-17, 07:54 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
I think I was 9 when I started hearing Campbell sing "Galveston" on the radio, it was my favorite song for a while.

Not fully grasping the poetic imagery or Texas geography, I remember thinking at the time that "Galveston" was a strange name for a girl.
Old 08-09-17, 09:15 AM
Varsity

rdlwolverine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
I think I was 9 when I started hearing Campbell sing "Galveston" on the radio, it was my favorite song for a while.

Not fully grasping the poetic imagery or Texas geography, I remember thinking at the time that "Galveston" was a strange name for a girl.
You were ahead of your time, Zunardo. I'd bet there are plenty of elementary school classes these days with girls named Madison, Brooklyn and Galveston.
Old 08-09-17, 09:19 AM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
"I hear you singin' in the wire, I can hear you through the whine"

"And I need you more than want you, and I want you for all time"

Glenn could take your breath away.

RIP, my friend.
Old 08-09-17, 09:51 AM
All World

I also loved Glen Campbell's songs, but this instrumental is a favorite:

ROCK ON!
Old 08-09-17, 11:21 AM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Good one, OWK. As a guitarist, Glen ranked up there with the greats as well. He was incredible!
Old 08-09-17, 12:08 PM
All District

What a performer he was. My guiter-player husband will enjoy this. Plus, those violinists playing those 16th notes are working hard! This is a very difficult song.
Old 08-09-17, 04:04 PM
All American

More on Glen:

Five Grammys, 12 gold albums, 75 chart hits (!), 45 million records sold.

I forgot that he was in True Grit. His song for the movie received an Academy Award nomination. He joked often that he helped John Wayne win the Oscar that year by being such a contrast - as a bad actor. Still enjoy the movie!

Two time winner of album of the year from The Country Music Academy. He released more than 70 albums. His song "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" won a Grammy for best country song and was nominated for best original song at the Oscars in 2015.

He said, that he got tired of looking a mule in the butt, quit school at 14 and headed out to New Mexico to join his uncle's band. Glen said that they mostly played in fightin' and dancin' clubs.

In 1960 he moved to L.A. and joined The Champs, the singers of the early rock standard, "Tequila". Two of their members became Seals and Crofts. He played in the house band on the tv show, "Shindig". He opened for The Doors on one of their tours.

He played guitar on Frank Sinatra's "Strangers in The Night", The Monkees', "I'm a Believer" and Elvis' "Viva , Las Vegas". He also played as and toured as a "Beach Boy" and worked on the band's "Pet Sounds" LP.

He said, I wen to L.A. because Nashville seemed too one dimensional and "I'm a jazzer. I just love to get the guitar and play the hell out of it."

he readily admitted that he suffered for his fame and made many others suffer, too.

He was a renowned session player for six years and was very pleased with that work.
After the cocaine, the booze and the Tucker, and his third divorce in 1980 he said, "Every three years I go and marry a girl who doesn't love me and then she proceeds to take all of my money!"

What started out as a five week tour, after announcing the Alzheimers, turned into 151 shows over 15 months as every venue sold out - some several times.

He was born in Delight Arkansas, one of 12 children. His father sharecropped 120 acres.

His dad bought him a smaller guitar when he was four from Sears for five dollars and he was performing on local radio stations at the age of six.

Advice his dad gave him: "Be nice and don't cuss".
Old 08-09-17, 07:59 PM
All American

Thanks for the interesting information. Seals & Crofts: small world.
Old 08-11-17, 09:12 AM
All American

This happens whenever a major musical star passes but Glen Campbell's numbers are off the charts. Sales of his albums are up 13,000% since his death.

I will Try to have a quiz on this weekend.

Last edited by Bevo; 08-11-17 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-13-17, 10:34 AM
All American

Ok, this is a two parter and it is on love gone wrong! Not as heavy or sad as the quiz by me before; more of life's sighs as we make our way through relationships. Got some new people and actually new tunes. Everybody gets four correct guesses until midnight. Lots of lyrics!!

1. "Don't worry baby, sometimes things change. Nothing we can do about it now, no way."

2. From '83 and off an album called "Synchronicity".

3. "If I made you feel second best, girl I'm sorry I was blind."

4. Her only number one hit; off the album entitled "Heart Like A Wheel"; from '77.

5. Singer says "I know" twenty-six times!

6. Had a hit in '62; then redid the song in a different tempo 13 years later and it was a hit again. Early 60's star - also had a song about a "Calendar Girl".

7. Some thought this song was for Angie Dickinson; wrong Angie.

8. The biggest hit for this brother duo from'60. Rolling Stone said it was 149 in its top 500 songs of all time. It was the guys' only No. one.

9. Didn't know this but the band auctions off the right to sing on stage with them every year for the American Cancer Society. This band was very horny!

10. "You tell me mistakes are part of being young. But that don't right the wrong I've done." Had a hit at 15; one of those little girlies.

11. "Loving you isn't the right thing to do."

12. Peter Wolfe was the front man on this all-time favorite group of rockers; but the name of the band came from another player who just passed. Early MTV.

13. Crewe and Guido, Nov. of '62. First group to have their first two records go to No. one. Nothing like them. Lead singer is over 80!

14. "When I had you to myself, I didn't want you around."

15. Rhymin' Simon writes a rhymin song about breaking up; from '75.

16. This babe went nude in Playboy a month before she turned 55. When she sang this song, her producer, Lee, told her to sing it like she was 16 and ****** a truck driver. She did. One of our favorite songs is by her and her partner.

17. "If you see me walking down the street and I start to cry."

18. A hit for Don McClean in' 81 but also a hit for a legendary performer in '61.

19. "She was married when we first met. Soon to be divorced. I helped her out of a jam I guess but I used a little to much force... Her folks said our lives together sure was gonna be rough. They never did like mama's home made bread; papa's bank wasn't big enough." - Dylan from "Blood on The Tracks".

20. "I heard he sang a good song. I heard he had a style. So, I came to see him to listen for awhile."

21. A goodbye, love song to Porter Wagoner! A hit in '72. '82 and '92 (different performer).

22. "It use to be so easy living here with you. You were light and breezy and you knew just what to do. Now, you look so unhappy and I feel like a fool."

23. "Time is a jet plane. It moves too fast. Oh, but what a shame if all we shared can't last." Dylan from "Blood on The Tracks", again.
Old 08-13-17, 10:40 AM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
4. Linda Ronstadt - "You're No Good"

11. Fleetwood Mac - "Go Your Own Way"

12. J. Geils Band - "Love Stinks"

15. Paul Simon - "Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover"
Old 08-13-17, 10:51 AM
All American

Boom! BOom!! BOOm!!! BOOM!!!!

Great start!

Just a few observations (all of you, also).

Linda Ronstadt has Parkinson's Disease and it has rendered her incapable of singing. This, for someone who was known for her great pipes. The old dudes recall her time with The Stone Poneys and their great late 60's song, "Different Drum".

I saw current governor, Jerry Brown , on a show recently, and Captain Moonbeam seems pretty reasonable now. He was one of a handful of guys who dated Ronstadt.

J. Geils' Band - great rip, rockers, and ravers.

I keep a list of about ten Fleetwood Mac songs nearby so I can recall and play them.. Great, great stuff.

Paul Simon - one of top ten greatest song writers of the last 50 years? I say "Yes". Also, seems to be on the "right" side of things. (I guess that means he agrees with me!! )

Last edited by Bevo; 08-13-17 at 11:20 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: