Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-31-17, 10:22 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
'Deeply moved' Bartman receives World Series ring from Cubs

Decided to put this in the General Forum since it's more of a human interest story than a MLB discussion.

Quote:
Steve Bartman, the infamous Chicago Cubs fan driven into hiding after interfering on a fateful fly ball at Wrigley Field in the 2003 National League Championship Series, said he is "deeply moved and sincerely grateful" to have received Monday a 2016 World Series ring from the club - a gesture that makes him "hopeful" the drama that began 14 years ago is finally behind him.

"Although I do not consider myself worthy of such an honor, I am deeply moved and sincerely grateful to receive an official Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Championship ring," Bartman said in a statement, according to WGN. "I am fully aware of the historical significance and appreciate the symbolism the ring represents on multiple levels. My family and I will cherish it for generations.
Read more:
https://www.thescore.com/news/1342324
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-17, 04:35 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Very cool move by the Cubs.
Old 08-01-17, 07:40 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Very cool move by the Cubs.
Agreed, and an equally gracious (and graceful) acceptance statement from Bartman.

Actually, I had no idea who he was until last year. Happened to see a replay of the 30 For 30 show that looked at his incident and the equally infamous Bill Buckner error.

Imagine how much worse it would have been for Bartman if that Series had happened today, with the SM world posting real-time updates on his daily whereabouts.
Old 08-01-17, 07:49 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
I heard a couple former players on ESPN yesterday and they are not so moved. They indicated that back in the day it was a big deal to get a ring and the only folks that received them were players and coaches and like the share of the WS $s the team voted on who should get one. Now it is up to the owner and basically the entire front office gets a ring and even the big sponsors get one these days. Maybe the sponsors had something to do with the success on the field as their $s helped pay the salaries but folks like the people in charge of merchandise or the community out reach person should not be getting rings let alone a fan who tried to catch a foul ball in a previous playoff series.

While I have no opinion on the subject it does have a little "every player gets a trophy" feel to it.
Old 08-01-17, 07:55 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Seriously, Auggie? The dude's life was completely destroyed over this split-second event and the Cubs did little to nothing publicly to defend him. Complain about sponsors/front office people getting a ring, but not Bartman.
Old 08-01-17, 08:03 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
I heard a couple former players on ESPN yesterday and they are not so moved. They indicated that back in the day it was a big deal to get a ring and the only folks that received them were players and coaches and like the share of the WS $s the team voted on who should get one. Now it is up to the owner and basically the entire front office gets a ring and even the big sponsors get one these days. Maybe the sponsors had something to do with the success on the field as their $s helped pay the salaries but folks like the people in charge of merchandise or the community out reach person should not be getting rings let alone a fan who tried to catch a foul ball in a previous playoff series.

While I have no opinion on the subject it does have a little "every player gets a trophy" feel to it.
I understand what you're saying in the first paragraph, and how those players might not like it - if Bartman decided to wear the ring everyday and flaunt it, I might be more sympathetic to their cause. But I'll go out on a limb and say he probably won't.
Old 08-01-17, 08:24 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Good Good on the Cubs. F those crybaby players Auggie mentioned.
Old 08-01-17, 08:48 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Seriously, Auggie? The dude's life was completely destroyed over this split-second event and the Cubs did little to nothing publicly to defend him. Complain about sponsors/front office people getting a ring, but not Bartman.
Like I said I could care less but the most bitter folks in the world are old school athletes who think they were cheated out of something. Not sure who it was that was really belly aching as it was radio and I came in late to the discussion but he was probably a September call up that got squat when his team won the WS.
Old 08-02-17, 09:42 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post

Only because Fox/ESP N and others script this stuff.

Do any of these guys actually HAVE those opinions they share?

I doubt it.

Some intern wrote it because it makes good TV
Old 08-03-17, 08:18 AM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Good for the Cubs to hustle back on the treatment of Bartman. I would have liked to see some kind of mea culpa a few years back. There was nothing that Bartman did was wrong, yet his life changed forever. It's not even a Bill Buckner thing. Bucker was an active player who had an affect on the game. Most of us would have done exactly what Bartman did, and that's try to catch a FOUL ball coming towards us. This was a black eye on the Cub organization and Cub fans. To just offer a world series ring AFTER you finally win one is way off point.

Secondly, I completely agree with Cub players who oppose this. The ring should be for the contributing players who were on that team that season, and coaches. GM / President, that's fine, but to include hundreds of people who had nothing to do with winning games just waters down the reason for the ring. It should be special.
Old 08-03-17, 08:28 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Secondly, I completely agree with Cub players who oppose this. The ring should be for the contributing players who were on that team that season, and coaches. GM / President, that's fine, but to include hundreds of people who had nothing to do with winning games just waters down the reason for the ring. It should be special.
With respect to giving Bartman one, it is special.
Old 08-03-17, 09:39 PM
All Ohio

my2sense is on a distinguished road
No decent team, athlete or fan would blame a loss on a fan interfering on a foul or any one play for that matter. The Cubs did not play well enough to win the series. Bartman became the scapegoat for the Cubs on field inabilities. They allowed his interference to cover their losses. Maybe they did owe him one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: