Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-13-17, 05:09 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
I just spent a few mind-numbing hours looking at enrollment figures, who moved up, and who didn't.

Basically what I see is that the added numbers to enrollment moved some teams up that should have been moved up, and moved some up that shouldn't have been (or didn't need to be), and didn't affect others who needed to be affected.

It confirmed my idea that this approach won't solve the problem, and in the few cases where it helps, it's by accident. The formula basically treats a nerdy brilliant math student the same as it does an exceptionally gifted athlete with a high level of skills. Truly, it's nuts.

The majority of the schools with big add on numbers are private schools - and the vast majority of them are irrelevant in sports. I see several schools that are known to "select" students that just happen to be exceptional talents in sports being hit with a multiplier number like 10. Depending on the 5 students that 10 represents, and what kind of athletes they are, that 10 could be way more impactful on competitive balance than a school with a multiplier number of 70 that represents kids who fled there solely for academics.

Basically what has happened here is that the OHSAA has tried to fix competitive balance in sports by using a head count of kids that don't necessarily play sports. Yep. This is going to go well.
No.

Competitive balance adjustments are applied only to the players on the previous season's roster. The basketball team receives no competitive balance adjustment for a student who open enrolls but doesn't play basketball.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 06-14-17 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-14-17, 06:57 AM
All District

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
It would appear that maybe you misunderstand the formula IVCguy.

Last edited by spirit454; 06-14-17 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-14-17, 08:46 PM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenandwhite98 View Post
The CB balance numbers come from the rosters of the sports. While your initial premise is correct, this measure will not change anything, your rationale is flawed and inaccurate.
Wow, thanks for the correction.

I guess the reason I thought it was all students was because some schools had a multiplier number of 130 or higher. Never dreamed schools had that many transfer athletes. Dozens.
Old 06-14-17, 08:51 PM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
It would appear that maybe you misunderstand the formula IVCguy.
Yeah. I got that. Lol. Just don't tell my wife I was wrong. It would make some of my prior statements to her difficult to square.
Old 06-14-17, 08:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yeah. I got that. Lol. Just don't tell my wife I was wrong. It would make some of my prior statements to her difficult to square.
No worries. One of the reasons we're here is to enlighten each other.
Old 06-14-17, 09:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the correction.

I guess the reason I thought it was all students was because some schools had a multiplier number of 130 or higher. Never dreamed schools had that many transfer athletes. Dozens.
They're not all necessarily transfers. They could've been at their current HS from the 1st day of 9th grade, but if they weren't enrolled in the school system prior to 7th grade, some level of CB adjustment is applied.

http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Schoo...Balance101.pdf
Old 06-15-17, 10:02 AM
All Yappi

This may have gone unnoticed by many. It comes from the OHSAA's June board meeting minutes:

Representation from the district to the regional tournaments in boys basketball for 2018 would be:
Division I: Combined Central, one East school (Dresden Tri-Valley) and two Southeast schools (Chillicothe and Logan) 4; Combined Northeast and one East school (Dover) 6; Northwest 2, and Southwest 4;
Division II: Central 2; East 2; Northeast 5; Northwest 2; Southeast 2, and Southwest 3;
Division III: Central 2; East 1; Northeast 4; Northwest 3; Southeast 2, and Southwest 4;
Division IV: Central 1; East 1; Northeast 3; Northwest 6; Southeast 2, and Southwest 3.

No changes in DI.

In DII, East District gets a 2nd district while the NW loses 1 district. I would expect the Athens Regional will be E and SE. NE and Central would then each send 1 district to the Toledo Regional, and the other Central would go with the SW at the Kettering Regional.

In DIII, Central District gains a 2nd district while the E loses 1 district. Also, the NW loses 1 district while the SW gains 1 district. I would guess that Athens will be the E, SE, and 1 from the Central. Bowling Green will then be 3 from the NW and the other from the Central.

In DIV, Central District loses 1 district while the NW gains 1 district. That makes the regional possibilities interesting. I'm guessing Athens will be SE and Central. Who will be the 4th district? Perhaps they will send the E. If so, then 1 from the NW would go to Canton, and 1 from the NW would go to Kettering to complete those regionals.

We'll see what these District boards come up with...
Old 06-15-17, 12:27 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
This may have gone unnoticed by many. It comes from the OHSAA's June board meeting minutes:

Representation from the district to the regional tournaments in boys basketball for 2018 would be:
Division I: Combined Central, one East school (Dresden Tri-Valley) and two Southeast schools (Chillicothe and Logan) 4; Combined Northeast and one East school (Dover) 6; Northwest 2, and Southwest 4;
Division II: Central 2; East 2; Northeast 5; Northwest 2; Southeast 2, and Southwest 3;
Division III: Central 2; East 1; Northeast 4; Northwest 3; Southeast 2, and Southwest 4;
Division IV: Central 1; East 1; Northeast 3; Northwest 6; Southeast 2, and Southwest 3.

No changes in DI.

In DII, East District gets a 2nd district while the NW loses 1 district. I would expect the Athens Regional will be E and SE. NE and Central would then each send 1 district to the Toledo Regional, and the other Central would go with the SW at the Kettering Regional.

In DIII, Central District gains a 2nd district while the E loses 1 district. Also, the NW loses 1 district while the SW gains 1 district. I would guess that Athens will be the E, SE, and 1 from the Central. Bowling Green will then be 3 from the NW and the other from the Central.

In DIV, Central District loses 1 district while the NW gains 1 district. That makes the regional possibilities interesting. I'm guessing Athens will be SE and Central. Who will be the 4th district? Perhaps they will send the E. If so, then 1 from the NW would go to Canton, and 1 from the NW would go to Kettering to complete those regionals.

We'll see what these District boards come up with...
Slippery,

Do you know if AD are going to submit rosters every year for the CB number? Could a team move back and forth between division 2 and 3 every year for example?
Old 06-15-17, 03:29 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
No.

Competitive balance adjustments are applied only to the players on the previous season's roster. The basketball team receives no competitive balance adjustment for a student who open enrolls but doesn't play basketball.
I think it should.... after all, they do use enrollment numbers and not everyone at the school plays basketball.
Old 06-15-17, 03:32 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
What happens if you have an incoming freshman that will count towards your CB. It just happens that this student is enough to move you from D2 to D1. The incoming freshman is below average and would likely not play much. Do you cut him from the team to stay at D2?

I do not like scenarios like that... CB should be CB regardless if a student plays a sport or not....
Old 06-15-17, 03:53 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
D1 is a change. The NE had seven districts last year to the NW with one.
Old 06-15-17, 04:12 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
What happens if you have an incoming freshman that will count towards your CB. It just happens that this student is enough to move you from D2 to D1. The incoming freshman is below average and would likely not play much. Do you cut him from the team to stay at D2?

I do not like scenarios like that... CB should be CB regardless if a student plays a sport or not....
That's an interesting question. I doubt anyone cuts one player to stay in a division. On the flip side, I can see a school discontinuing whole teams. If you have two freshmen basketball teams, maybe you go down to one. If you have a small freshmen team, maybe you get rid of it and go with a JV/Varsity only.

Will the coaches be given data on where the players are coming from? Will the coaches ask where the players are from?
Old 06-15-17, 05:50 PM
All District

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post

Don't forget that divisions are made after the CB numbers have been counted. 362 count be the division break one year while 338 could the break the next season. Cutting one kid is probably irrelevant.
Old 07-30-17, 01:40 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Are they going to recalculate every year??
Old 07-31-17, 07:34 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
Are they going to recalculate every year??
Yes.