Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-21-17, 08:06 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
What do you think of Kids/Moms Announcing their "commitment" to private schools?

Saw a Facebook post from a parent announcing her 8th grade son was going to a powerful private school to continue his career in basketball.

These parents and kids really think they are like the high school graduates making their commitment to accept a scholarship. Is this a good or bad thing?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-17, 08:24 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
Its not a GOOD thing. If anything, I lay blame on the good people at Facebook, Twitter..ect for giving these once closeted narcissists an avenue to display such foolery.
Old 07-22-17, 05:49 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
They're mimicking something that's become cultural and most likely not thinking any deeper than that. I don't think it's a practice reserved to private schools. And it's not new with social media.

Parents have been doing this for ages as they compete to get their kids into certain private prep schools for academics or social pretige. If St. Whatever is fine with a kid announcing their school was chosen because of "basketball," that's their values expressed. It's really for the schools to decide whether this practice is consistent with their values and if not, be sure to send that message on during the recruitment stage.
Old 07-22-17, 05:56 PM
Junior Varsity

OhioHSBasketballFan is an unknown quantity at this point
It's all about Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
They're mimicking something that's become cultural and most likely not thinking any deeper than that. I don't think it's a practice reserved to private schools. And it's not new with social media.

Parents have been doing this for ages as they compete to get their kids into certain private prep schools for academics or social pretige. If St. Whatever is fine with a kid announcing their school was chosen because of "basketball," that's their values expressed. It's really for the schools to decide whether this practice is consistent with their values and if not, be sure to send that message on during the recruitment stage.
Team first? Me first.
Don't blame the kids. Look at Kyrie. Look at AAU basketball. Look at Gafney going to Garfield Hts. We rank middle schoolers, we have highlight tapes for them.
God, Team, Me? Forget about it. What are you going to do to change it? Nothing. Deal with it.
Old 07-22-17, 07:43 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioHSBasketballFan View Post
Team first? Me first.
Don't blame the kids. Look at Kyrie. Look at AAU basketball. Look at Gafney going to Garfield Hts. We rank middle schoolers, we have highlight tapes for them.
God, Team, Me? Forget about it. What are you going to do to change it? Nothing. Deal with it.

If that was meant to be a reply to my post, I'm missing the relevant connection. "you" was that directed towards me or a generality?
Old 07-22-17, 09:23 PM
Junior Varsity

OhioHSBasketballFan is an unknown quantity at this point
my bad

Quote:
If that was meant to be a reply to my post, I'm missing the relevant connection. "you" was that directed towards me or a generality?
meant to respond to first post. State of the Hoops in general
NBA - for us NEO, look at Kyrie
College Transfer city
the trickle down to high school and now middle school
Old 07-22-17, 10:51 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Its dumb. 98% of parent involvement in students sports are mistakes. The 2% positive only includes laundry and transportation. The rest is a poor decesion after poor decesion.
Old 07-23-17, 09:04 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
Saw a Facebook post from a parent announcing her 8th grade son was going to a powerful private school to continue his career in basketball.

These parents and kids really think they are like the high school graduates making their commitment to accept a scholarship. Is this a good or bad thing?
Then don't be "friends" with people like that and you won't see it
Old 07-23-17, 09:43 PM
Freshman

Fayette 79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by playboi12 View Post
Its not a GOOD thing. If anything, I lay blame on the good people at Facebook, Twitter..ect for giving these once closeted narcissists an avenue to display such foolery.
Don't blame Facebook and Twitter...these people are just following what they have seen before...

It is sad but so is the fact that our society pays attention to the High School seniors who play out the Announcement to get more attention and publicity. I really miss the days when you didn't hear about recruits until they actually made some noise at the collegiate level...Woody, Bo, Bob Knight..where are you????
Old 07-24-17, 06:17 AM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
A very obnoxious and disgusting trend, any way one spins it
Old 07-24-17, 10:15 AM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
A very obnoxious and disgusting trend, any way one spins it
I think that's a little harsh. I'm not a fan of the practice either, but with the overwhelming popularity and proliferation of social media what do you expect? With people updating their Facebook page several times a day with utterly mundane and useless things, wasn't this inevitable? True, the practice has been going on long before Facebook, but social media has taken it to an entirely different level. Part of me sees it as parents simply having some fun with their kids' success. Part of me sees it as a sad commentary on our times.
Old 07-24-17, 12:36 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Seems like a natural trickle down of high school kids posting about how "thankful" or "blessed" they are every time they get a scholarship offer. I'm not surprised kids/parents are now bragging about being "committed" to whatever basketball/football powerhouse high school. It's the culture of the times. Just be glad they haven't started claiming they chose school X over schools Y and Z for specific athletic purposes.
Old 07-24-17, 01:26 PM
All Region

So I'm not the only one who thinks its silly. The high school graduates going to play D1 sports earned a scholarship to a University so they can brag a little. Announcing where you are going to high school means you passed the 8th grade. Not a big deal for most people.
Old 07-24-17, 01:33 PM
All American

Henry37 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Cultural. Nailed it.

Parents being proud is nothing new, nor should it ever be frowned upon. But the desire for recognition and exposure is often delusional and dangerous.
Old 07-24-17, 01:58 PM
All Region

Delusional. That is the word that ties it together nicely.
Old 07-24-17, 05:23 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
I'm friends with a lot of people who announce what high school their kid will attend. In public schools you attend your city high school. When you have kids in Catholic grade school the kids disperse to several different schools. It's really not uncommon for a family to announce that - if your kid plays sports or does not.
Old 07-25-17, 07:06 AM
All American

I'm proud to announce today that my 8-year-old has accepted an invite to play for the SMAC 8-u AAU B-team for the remainder of this summer. #DukieClassOf2031
Old 07-25-17, 10:32 AM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm proud to announce today that my 8-year-old has accepted an invite to play for the SMAC 8-u AAU B-team for the remainder of this summer. #DukieClassOf2031
Did he receive the duffle bag and warm up package?
Old 07-25-17, 12:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_XYZ&12345 View Post
Did he receive the duffle bag and warm up package?
They only gave him the duffle bag. He initially put on the Michael Duncan AAU cap, said, "oops, wrong one," and then donned the SMAC one. Tucker Neale wasn't happy about that...
Old 07-25-17, 01:18 PM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They only gave him the duffle bag. He initially put on the Michael Duncan AAU cap, said, "oops, wrong one," and then donned the SMAC one. Tucker Neale wasn't happy about that...

Hilarious!
Old 07-25-17, 01:31 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
With all due respect to the OP, this seems to be a molehill that's been made into a mountain.
Moms have been bragging about their kids for centuries. Big deal. Yes, it's boring. Yes, we get tired of it.
But the OP is bothered by someone who posted on Facebook, and we're comparing that to a high school athlete announcing his college choice?
Let 'em brag all they want. That's what Facebook is for.
It's not like Mom has called a press conference.
Old 07-25-17, 03:11 PM
All Region

I'm sorry, what exactly are they bragging about? The thin line that we are crossing is that these kids feel they are being recruited and they need to tell the world. If the coach/school is not recruiting these kids, the coaches need to tell them to stop acting like it because it makes the school look bad. If they are getting recruited, the OHSAA needs to put a stop to it.

I'm of the opinion these little kids are doing their best "I'm taking my talents to South Beach" and the schools are blameless.
Old 07-25-17, 03:14 PM
All Region

Notice that I didn't put the school in the OP because I don't think they are involved. There are probably 50 schools across the state that people would assume that the kids were recruited if they saw this on Facebook.
Old 08-20-17, 10:23 PM
All Ohio

Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post

Its dumb. SOme pretender trying to make themselves feel good about themselves its HS

Last edited by Baller; 08-20-17 at 10:24 PM. Reason: msisispping
Old 08-20-17, 10:25 PM
All Ohio

Baller
I'm announcing I will be attending the HUnky Club all day tomorrow. any questions talk to my agent
Old 09-03-17, 11:42 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
More than a few college coaches are not ok with the constant social media posts by prospective recruits, announcing they have received any type of offer from that school. In our case during the recruiting process, it was made very clear that coaches wanted no social media posts regarding such things until the school officially gave each kid permission to post any acceptance of an official offer. The real big no no was a recruit posting other offers he may have received during the recruiting period. It actually cost one recruit, as his numerous social medial posts regarding his scholarship offers, etc, ultimately caused the coach to withdraw their offer, due to the recruit ignoring the coach's policy. Middle school kids and their parents should learn this lesson early, as most things that are said and or posted on social media can ultimately come back to bite you.
Old 09-24-17, 01:52 PM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Parents transferring their kids from
One high school to another sometimes in the same conference so they can be the man , and then that doesn't work as well as hoped so they pack up the family again to find a " better " " High school " FIT" its pathetic but happens often because the parent is chasing some kind of glory or to get or chase after a ring for his prodigy Which is beyond pathetic. Come on honey let's move 2-3 times so we can get more attention ?