Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-11-17, 12:26 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
Thanks for taking this task on.
You're welcome. Thank you for the info on Dublin Coffman's state meet qualifiers. Every little bit helps.

I'm just working with the scraps I've been able to dig up. You'd be surprised how much stuff one can find with a free 7-day trial membership to one of those sites that have online newspaper archives. It's tedious but a lot of fun when you find new information, just like genealogy research.

Originally, I was keying info directly from the site into my files (which was taking too long) before I wised up and started downloading results summaries and articles onto my PC. I would guess that I copied and pasted somewhere b/w 700 and 800 clippings during that trial period. I'm still not 100% sure of what I have and still need (the clippings all look the same after awhile), but it's certainly a great supplement to what is available on the OHSAA's site.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-17, 02:38 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
You're welcome. Thank you for the info on Dublin Coffman's state meet qualifiers. Every little bit helps.

I'm just working with the scraps I've been able to dig up. You'd be surprised how much stuff one can find with a free 7-day trial membership to one of those sites that have online newspaper archives. It's tedious but a lot of fun when you find new information, just like genealogy research.

Originally, I was keying info directly from the site into my files (which was taking too long) before I wised up and started downloading results summaries and articles onto my PC. I would guess that I copied and pasted somewhere b/w 700 and 800 clippings during that trial period. I'm still not 100% sure of what I have and still need (the clippings all look the same after awhile), but it's certainly a great supplement to what is available on the OHSAA's site.
It's really tough work. I know that a couple years ago we started looking for FAT times for athletes with hand times in our top 5 all time lists. And we started looking just for mistakes. It meant a lot of time spent at the library for me (I love the main branch of the Columbus library and it is a short jog from my house.) looking up results. And I only had to do it for one school.
Old 07-13-17, 01:29 AM
All Yappi

Update:

A Lancaster Fisher Catholic girls 400m qualifier is discovered, and the Lady Irish have thus completed the set. We'll see what turns up later today. The good news is I'm nearly done with the Akron paper clippings from '75-'00 and can then start to pay attention to a different part of the state.

How do track results for Fisher Catholic end up in the Akron paper? There were a handful of years when many of the DIII teams from NEO competed with the DIII teams from Central OH in a regional meet held at Mansfield. Ironically, no NWO teams were involved in some of these meets.

A 400m runner for the Pemberville Eastwood boys has been found, so the Eagles have completed the set.

Throw the Sandusky St. Mary CC girls on the "everything but the pole vault" pile.

Add Smithville boys to the list of teams that have completed the set.

Toledo Whitmer girls are in for all 17 events.

Cleveland Heights boys are in for all 17 events.

Brunswick boys are in for all 17 events.

Columbiana boys are in for all 17 events.

Findlay Liberty-Benton boys are in for all 17 events.

Twinsburg and Lakewood St. Edward boys are in for all 17 events.

A few more teams are ever so close, and I have yet to even look at the full list of boys state meet results from '01-'10! Still plenty of regional results left to examine as well.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 07-16-17 at 06:42 PM..
Old 07-17-17, 10:27 AM
All Yappi

We're still rolling along with this project with plenty more material still to be examined.

Add Cleveland Benedictine, Euclid, and Painesville Harvey to the boys list, but the most significant update is that North Robinson Colonel Crawford joins the list of schools to have completed the set for both genders.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 07-17-17 at 01:41 PM..
Old 07-19-17, 09:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Whats the status of SVSM?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Update: I have SVSM boys in for all events except the pole vault. I have yet to look at anything before 1975, but I don't expect to find a pole vaulter from SVSM or either of its 2 ancestor schools. Anything is possible though. I don't know that SVSM was much of a track school before Dan Lancianese. SVSM has always been good at football and basketball, but many of their better athletes played baseball in the spring back in the '70s and '80s.
Old 07-19-17, 03:32 PM
Freshman

PioKnight45 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Minster girls have qualified in everything; including defunct events like the medley relay and the 80yd. low hurdles. They probably would've qualified in the softball toss if that event had ever made it into the postseason tournament program.

I'm going to bet McDonald boys and girls have qualified in everything except the pole vault, but I don't know for sure.

The East Canton boys have qualified in every event. If nothing else, Joe Bradley won the 100, 200, and 400 in '81. Josh Conrad was 2nd in the 800 last year and was All-Ohio in the 1600 his freshman year. Nick Dysle was All-Ohio in the 3200 a couple times in the mid '00s. All 4 of their relays qualified this year as well as entrants in both hurdle events, and the LJ and HJ. Cody Marshall won the PV in 2010. Chane Cline won the shot put in '96. Freshly crowned NCAA DII champ Duke Taylor was 2nd in the discus in 2012.

The East Canton girls may have also accomplished this feat; including the pole vault. Only event I can't find for them so far is LJ, but they may have had a qualifier pre-2001 who didn't score. I'd kill to get my hands on all the prelim results pre-2001.

The St. Thomas Aquinas boys have definitely qualified in every event except maybe the 300m hurdles. Their school record in that event is above 40 seconds which means it's possible but somewhat unlikely.

The St. Thomas Aquinas girls have definitely qualified in every event except maybe the throwing events. Their school records in the girls throws make it less likely that they had a state qualifier, but it might have happened.

Keep 'em coming.
STA definitely didn't have any throwers lol
Old 07-23-17, 06:16 PM
All Yappi

Still chipping away at this project after a few days of being away.

Add Elyria boys to the fray.

Hopefully, more teams will follow shortly.

Cleveland St. Ignatius boys are finally in, and Toledo Whitmer boys are also in. Whitmer girls were already in, so that makes another team to have completed the set for both genders. A boy long jumper is finally located to move CVCA boys onto the list. CVCA girls are already on the list, so CVCA makes the short list of teams to have made all events for both genders.

A girls 400 runner is finally located, so Findlay Liberty-Benton makes the list for both genders.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 07-28-17 at 10:10 AM..