Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-11-17, 05:11 PM
Freshman

coachwhitman is on a distinguished road
Ohio State XC/Distance

Last edited by coachwhitman; 08-19-17 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: *
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-17, 05:42 PM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Looks like a move more about middle distance for track than for CC.
Old 07-11-17, 05:47 PM
Freshman

Last edited by coachwhitman; 08-19-17 at 11:44 AM..
Old 07-11-17, 06:10 PM
Varsity

KevinL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachwhitman View Post
As it stands right now, that is OSU's best shot at points in the B1G meet. Makes sense from an immediate point boost standpoint.
Evan Stifel was first team B1G in cross. If he were healthy in the spring he is capable of scoring in the 5k/10k.

Should be good for Lomong (if he stays) and Blank who is a 1500 guy.
Old 07-11-17, 06:43 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
I like the way LSU summarizes the results from cross country:

http://www.lsusports.net/src/data/ls.../16xcstats.pdf

OSU obviously got a coach with a well-recognized name and coaching experience with a well-respected track & field program.

Unfortunately, it looks like LSU was even less successful than OSU in cross country; though, that might not entirely be the coach's fault - I can't imagine training for distance events in LSU climate if I had a choice of doing it elsewhere.

There are plenty of stories of excellent distance coaches that never ran distance events. That will have to be KD's story at OSU (I don't count the 800 as a distance event - running two 50-point quarters makes it a sprint in my book). He was a Texas football player that only became a track guy as a junior, after a football injury - even then he was a 4/8 guy.

At the moment, despite my strong preference for Michigan, I am hopeful that he can give OSU the cross-country/distance program that the athletes deserve.

Last edited by madman; 07-11-17 at 08:32 PM..
Old 07-11-17, 08:24 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Dan Lancianese of SVSM had no distance experience himself, and look where his team is at. Of course, this is the collegiate level we talking about.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-17, 01:37 PM
All District

gatornation is on a distinguished road
Word on the street from his one year at OSU is that he knows how to coach middle distance really well but a lot of his strategies don't transfer over to long distance running. He did too much speed and intensity and not enough recovery.
Old 07-12-17, 01:57 PM
Freshman

bleuandgold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatornation View Post
Word on the street from his one year at OSU is that he knows how to coach middle distance really well but a lot of his strategies don't transfer over to long distance running. He did too much speed and intensity and not enough recovery.
My sources say the same thing. 800/10k girls running similar workouts. Working out sometimes twice a day, almost crossfit type workouts.
Old 07-12-17, 02:06 PM
Freshman

cincyrunner is on a distinguished road
From what I've heard, it doesn't sound like the team is satisfied with this hire. I think he's got a chance to turn things around, but his results at LSU indicate otherwise.
Old 07-12-17, 02:17 PM
All American

Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuandgold View Post
My sources say the same thing. 800/10k girls running similar workouts. Working out sometimes twice a day, almost crossfit type workouts.
If one of the workouts is a recovery run or strength training, two workouts are fine. Shouldn't be having two hard practices every day. For a couple of years during the summer I've had my kids do strength training workouts (something like low intesnity cross-fit) three days per week in the evenings. Has reduced injuries and the kids have run better.
Old 07-12-17, 02:23 PM
Freshman

bleuandgold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Man 101 View Post
If one of the workouts is a recovery run or strength training, two workouts are fine. Shouldn't be having two hard practices every day. For a couple of years during the summer I've had my kids do strength training workouts (something like low intesnity cross-fit) three days per week in the evenings. Has reduced injuries and the kids have run better.
Oh it's not a recovery run. When I say "workouts" I mean hard efforts. And to the point above, my sources say the team is HORRIFIED at the hire. 10k guys might as well quit. KD is a guy who will never take blame (despite what his promo motivation vids say). He'll have 5k/10k guys running 45 mpw with an hour of core per day and then blaming their attitudes when they run poor 10ks
Old 07-12-17, 02:29 PM
All American

Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuandgold View Post
Oh it's not a recovery run. When I say "workouts" I mean hard efforts. And to the point above, my sources say the team is HORRIFIED at the hire. 10k guys might as well quit. KD is a guy who will never take blame (despite what his promo motivation vids say). He'll have 5k/10k guys running 45 mpw with an hour of core per day and then blaming their attitudes when they run poor 10ks
He may have no idea what he is doing, but he also might be trying a different approach. If people look back at workouts started in different decades they might be horrified as well. I think you have to look at injury rates and performances.

Training is constantly evolving and I'm convinced there is more than one "best" approach.
Old 07-12-17, 03:53 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
I know someone who ran long distance for him at LSU (child of a former student) who certainly was not running only 45 mpw. Did do two workouts a day three or four times a week, but the second workout was in the pool. And definitely not a situation of the 800 and 10K kids running the same workouts all the time.
Old 07-21-17, 09:48 PM
All District

tmk is on a distinguished road
Looks like Coach Robinson, who is returning to OSU, will have help from another returning OSU coach, Sara Vergote this fall....

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/spo...072117aaa.html
Old 07-21-17, 10:43 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Am I reading that article correctly?

Will Vergote be coaching men's and women's distance runners? I assume that KD would be coaching 8/15 runners.

I was impressed with Vergote and thought it was a real loss when she left.

If she coaches both men's and women's distance runners, would that be a first among DI schools? Off the top of my head I can't think of another woman coaching men's and women's teams at a major DI school.
Old 07-22-17, 10:26 AM
Freshman

Interesting

Last edited by coachwhitman; 08-19-17 at 11:44 AM..