Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Archives

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-08-15, 07:11 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-15, 09:21 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Go North Vikings!
Old 12-08-15, 10:20 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Very sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed reading his posts. As a previous poster said, NV really got people going. Condolences to his family.
Old 12-09-15, 07:48 AM
Freshman

Coney King is on a distinguished road
As a longtime Yappi reader and only recently a poster, North Viking was definitely passionate about his Vikings, and the City Series. Rest in Peace.
Old 12-09-15, 11:15 AM
All District

MrMojoRisin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
How fitting is it that we wrapped up the high school football season Saturday and he passed Sunday?
That's classic... !

RIP NV!
Old 12-09-15, 11:19 AM
All District

Markie99 is on a distinguished road
Damn. This sucks reading this. Very sad. Condolences to his family.
Old 12-09-15, 11:44 AM
All American

THEWOLF is on a distinguished road
RIP to North Viking. Condolences to his family. He actually banned me from his contest. He would make me add my own score. LOL I think he had me on ignore. No grudges and may god bless him.
Old 12-10-15, 08:35 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
The obit is on today's Beacon Journal. If anyone needs the link, PM me. I had it up but then remembered the rule against ID'ing a poster.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; 12-10-15 at 08:54 AM..
Old 12-10-15, 10:12 AM
All Ohio

papasherm is on a distinguished road
Considered Kurt a friend. Rest in peace. This news came as quite a shock.
Old 12-10-15, 10:23 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The obit is on today's Beacon Journal. If anyone needs the link, PM me. I had it up but then remembered the rule against ID'ing a poster.
Fairwood King was ID'd after he passed...
http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=gay

Once you're gone I don't think it matters any more.

:>---

Successful = ALT
Old 12-10-15, 10:30 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
Fairwood King was ID'd after he passed...
http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=gay

Once you're gone I don't think it matters any more.

:>---

Successful = ALT
Scott pretty much actively identified himself.
Old 12-10-15, 10:39 AM
All District

tuscoslimshady is on a distinguished road
RIP Kurt,May God Bless!
Old 12-10-15, 01:29 PM
All Region

fireball is on a distinguished road
RIP Viking.
Sad news.
My prayers towards him and his family.
Old 12-10-15, 02:30 PM
All Yappi

frecriss is on a distinguished road
North and I had some blistering debates with each other over the years. But, being the same age and from the same area, we understood where each other was coming from. He was definitely one of the good guys and I will miss him.
Old 12-10-15, 08:45 PM
All Region

ReasonableSpartan is on a distinguished road
I haven't been posting long but have always been a longtime reader....seeing all the names on here of posters who have past on is eye opening. Those guys including NV were all very informative.

RIP NV, as well to all other Yappi faithful lost over this past year.....you will be missed.
Old 12-11-15, 02:00 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTOWN View Post
I am truly sorry to hear this. I met Kurt at a Mooney-ASVM game at Green Street several years ago. He was a good guy. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP.
It seemed his favorite team was whoever was playing SVSM! The Irish were a burr in his backside.
Old 12-11-15, 02:19 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Wow. We have lost some good ones this year. North Viking was a good one.
Old 12-11-15, 03:26 PM
All Yappi

Hurri-Comet is on a distinguished road
Yes he was one of those Yappi legends that really got to me with his sense of humor and knowledge. He will be missed and always remembered.
Old 12-11-15, 04:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by frecriss View Post
North and I had some blistering debates with each other over the years. But, being the same age and from the same area, we understood where each other was coming from. He was definitely one of the good guys and I will miss him.
He's talking to St. Peter right now about getting Barberton into the City Series.
Old 12-11-15, 05:12 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
WHOA!! I didn't hear about LCD. When the heck did this happen? He was one of my favorites. Damn this is upsetting.
http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=LCD

http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthre...hlight=RIP+LCD
Old 12-11-15, 05:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Scott pretty much actively identified himself.
And pimped his sordid autobiographical tale of the seamy underbelly of professional exhibition figure skating, available on Amazon, whenever possible.

I wish that there was a way that we could somehow spare these better Yapsters from untimely demise.

If there was some yappi volcano that we could shove a poster in to as a sacrifice, as if to mollify some bloodthirsty internet god (Al Gore?), I would like to start with one of Egret's former neighbors....
Old 12-11-15, 05:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
He's talking to St. Peter right now about getting Barberton into the City Series.
Or at least pretending to, to agitate frecriss

RIP, NV.
Old 12-11-15, 11:11 PM
All American

Quest4Gold
As North Viking would say "Just one more thing"

L O'Neil gave an eulogy that definitely made NV smile up in heaven.
Old 12-12-15, 02:41 AM
All District

MooneyFanatic is on a distinguished road
Sorry I never got to meet him. I bought him a Mooney shirt after Yappi posters explained to him that Catholic schools are playing within the rules set by the OHSAA. Well, at least as much as most public schools are : / RIP NV. I hope we run in to each other on the other side.
Old 12-12-15, 07:20 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
LOL, probably
Old 12-12-15, 07:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post

RIP, NV.
I wouldn't doubt it. Again, NV was one of the good guys.
Old 12-12-15, 07:55 AM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post

RIP, NV.
LOL. Great post. Well done cab!
Old 12-13-15, 08:53 PM
All American

Quest4Gold
Since Larry O'Neil was happy I started this post to let everyone know about this tragic happening. I am going to post what Larry said about Kurt at the funeral in his eulogy. Anyone who didn't know Kurt really well except by his posts will get a better understanding of who Kurt the man was.

Below is the Eulogy delivered at Kurt's funeral service. RIP Kurt; you will be sorely missed brother.

I'd like to thank all of you for coming today to commemorate the memory of our good friend and family member, Kurt.

For those of you who may not know me, my name is Larry O'Neil, and I've known Kurt, Karen and Claudia for most of my life. Kurt and I grew up together with all of our North Hill buddies and graduated from the same high school. We remained very close friends throughout our adult lives. I'm very fortunate to have the circle of friends that our close knit community provided. Kurt was very much a part of that inner circle of friends from the neighborhood. He was one of the clan, or simply put, one of the boys as my mother referred to all of us.

I thought a lot about what I would say today and I still don't know if I have it right, but I'm gonna give it my best shot. I certainly know that if Kurt were here today and I remained silent on his behalf, he would give me the infamous head bob and in his falsetto high pitched voice say something like dudeyou don't want to say anything.., you probably don't feel like ithuh dude that's coolThat was our Kurt.

Kurt Thomas Foster was born, lived and died on North Hill. He was a proud graduate of North High School class of 1987. He then went on to earn a degree in history at Mount Union College . He loved his Purple Raiders. Often times after a lopsided Mount Union football victory he would call me up and say, Well my Purple Raiders had a real scare today they barely won 62 to nothingKurt had such a sense of humor.
After Mount Union, Kurt went on to complete graduate work at Miami University, and then came back to Akron and worked as a salesman for Kaufman's department store. Eventually Kurt became a fulltime substitute teacher in the Akron Public School system. It was during Kurt's time subbing at North High School that he took on the position of Tennis Coach for his beloved Vikings. Kurt was a committed and caring mentor to the young men and women he coached. He won coach of the year honors in 2010. But he did much more than just coach. Kurt drove his players across town to summer tennis camps; he helped them fill out college applications and apply for jobs. He spent his own money to make sure they always had an end of the year banquet/cook-out at Monroe Falls Park. Most recently Kurt substitute taught in surrounding suburban districts such as Barberton, Springfield and Woodridge.

I know that it is cliché to say that a person once they have passed was one of a kind, but you must believe me when I tell you that Kurt Foster was ONE OF A KIND Totally unique and genuine in every way. He was kind, caring and compassionate. He helped to care for his mother Karen and his Aunt Claudia, running errands, keeping up with the yard work and doing this or doing that around the house.
Kurt also had many hobbies and interests. As many of you already know he was an avid local sports fan. On many afternoons you could hear him on the Big Time sports radio show discussing topics with Joe Dunn and Tom Lindner. He was a frequent caller to their show and became somewhat of a mainstay on the program. Kurt had a sharp wit and a keen since of humor that made his calls to the show memorable and entertaining. My 86 year-old mother loved hearing Kurt's calls to the station. It simply made her day to hear Kurt from North Hill on the radio.
His fierce love of everything local could be a bit obsessive at times. Many of you in this room have been hit with the Kurt voice mail or text barrage on sports updates, local political topics, or just neighborhood gossip. Kurt loved to be connected with others and like us all, to be part of a shared experience.

And of course there was Kurt's other passion talking. Yes Kurt was born with the gift of gab. He loved to talk. And sometimes this obsessive impulse to talk got in the way of other things. One of Kurt's famous lines was Just one more thingdude I know you gotta go, but real quick usually this was said as you were trying to desperately pull out of his driveway.
On one particular occasion the two of us were on our way back to his house from a local football game. Kurt was behind the wheel and talking, (by the way, never a good combination). There was a road closure so I was acting as his human GPS. Kurt was completely engrossed in one of his stories as I guided him through various backstreets on our way to North Hill. Finally his story over and the car paused at a red light, Kurt surveyed his surroundings with a confused look on his face and said Dude, where in the hell are you taking me? You have to understand, it had been a long day, I was exhausted and Kurt's story had been going on and on and on for the entire drive home. Understandably, I replied in a slightly agitated tone through clenched teeth Kurt, we are three blocks from your house! His reply, Oh..that's strange..huh,
But that was one of Kurt's many idiosyncrasies; being completely oblivious to everything around him when there was a story to be told. Of course at times I felt like Steve Martin to his John Candy, but at the end of the day Kurt was who he was, a guy that was completely comfortable in his own skin. No pretense, no BS, with Kurt Foster, what you saw was what you got.

Kurt loved the simple things in life, his cat, Pumpkin, his summer garden, the weekly football pick'em contest that he organized and ran for years on the Yappi football site, monthly gatherings with his Book club, Christmas gift exchanges with his mom and Aunt Claudia the holidays and the warm company of his numerous friends. I never met a guy who could get so damn excited about his bean plants. Kurt would call me daily in the summer and leave a detailed play by play account of his vegetable garden on my voice mail. He especially loved his blueberry bush and got a real thrill out of providing plump juicy blueberries to my daughter and the Lattarulo children every summer.
And the holidays. Kurt loved the holidays. Come December on Chalker street it was as if Bing Crosby and Buryl Ives had morphed together to become one gigantic walking talking, made for TV Christmas special. He took so much pride in his holiday decorations. Lights, inflatables, mechanical reindeer the whole nine yards. Kurt especially treasured the times when his nieces and nephews would visit during holidays to share in the festive atmosphere of his home.

Although Kurt was a lifelong bachelor, he was part of a large extended family. Whether it was attending a baseball game to watch the Tassiello kids or a basketball game to see the Lattarulos play or maybe watching Donavan and Kevin O'Neil compete in football; Kurt was a mainstay in the stands providing support encouragement and genuine enthusiasm.

In my own life Kurt was a constant. He was there the day I met my wife to be, and he would be there the day I married her, He was in the hospital when my daughter was born. In fact Kurt never missed one of my daughter's nine birthdays. He was in the audience for her one-act school plays, little nickel and dime musical performances, you name it, Kurt had a front row seat. Whether it was Christmas, Easter or Halloween, no matter, you could count on a special card to arrive in mail from Uncle Kurt to the little princess, as he liked to call her.

One of Kurt's most endearing qualities was his innocence and purity. He was just a big kid at heart; this probably explains his love of the holidays, amusement parks and children. He was never cynical or bitter about anything; he could be stubborn like the rest of us, but he was a guy that truly loved life.
This past summer I decided to build a treehouse for my nine year-old daughter. Anyone who knows me understands my lack of handy-man skills, but I gave it my best shot. I still don't know who was more excited when I began the project, Kurt or my daughter. He was in my driveway every single day during the construction, texting updates to various friends, sending pictures over his phone and suggesting window treatments for treehouse. When it was finally finished Kurt asked if he could climb up in it. I was a bit concerned; Kurt was a big guy and I still wasn't sure about how secure the supports were, but Kurt was determined; he was going up in that tree house. My daughter and I watched as Kurt excitedly
climbed the ladder. Low and behold it held his weight. I knew that if the treehouse supported Kurt it could hold 10 nine year-olds. As he walked around, surveying my yard up in the canopy of trees a mixture of wonderment and delight spread across his face, the look was priceless. It was pure Kurt, collecting one of his tiny treasures, the simple things that brought him so much joy in life.

I'd like to leave you with an image of Kurt, an image that captures the essence of who he was. It's my wife's favorite picture of him. It was taken five years ago on one of our many one-tank trips together. In the picture, Kurt's big paw is clasping the tiny hand of my then four-year-old daughter. The bright July sun splashes down on them; they are approaching the entrance to an amusement park, their backs are to the camera. Kurt's profile slightly visible as he fondly looks down on her. The thrill of park goers and carnival rides are just a few steps away. The two of them are frozen in time, united in a moment of pure anticipation and joy, of childhood and wonder. Cecilia and her Uncle Kurt on a splendid summer day at the park. There will be recreation and fun that day; ice-cream cones and elephant ears, endless rides and laughter and of course many long meandering stories from Kurt. Everything is right and good as it should be in the precious company of friends and family. That's the gift that Kurt Foster gave to the world and that's how I'll always remember our buddy, Kurt.
Old 12-13-15, 10:59 PM
All Region

ogealbhain is on a distinguished road
^ Thank you for sharing this.
Old 12-13-15, 11:31 PM
All Yappi

+1

Thanks for putting the memory of a man with the NV name for all of us.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: