Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-12-17, 11:19 AM
Varsity

mcm.1019 is on a distinguished road
working in Cleveland, just east of the airport. Watched coverage on TV most of the day, and then remember how eerie it was to drive by Hopkins and just see planes scattered everywhere.
Old 09-12-17, 12:10 PM
All District

USA70PP is on a distinguished road
Didn't mention this before, because I thought some on here would say words to the effect of what a blow hard, who does he think he is, and other manner of disbelief.
We, wife and I. were dog sitting for a friend. They were on their way back home from Florida. When they got to our house to pick up Sasha, Dave said a funny thing had happened on the way home, his daughter had called from Dayton and told him there was a crazy/odd message on her answering machine. "Osama, I can't reach you". My analytical training from my previous years as a "spook" kicked in and I thought "973 area code is an easy mistake to make in a rush for 937". contacted the FBI, reviewed my history/clearances with them and told them the story. They contacted the family in order to obtain the answering machine. Next day, maybe two days after, I read that arrests had been made in New Jersey (937 area code). Often wondered if I had even a small hand in any of this.
Old 09-12-17, 12:49 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
Didn't mention this before, because I thought some on here would say words to the effect of what a blow hard, who does he think he is, and other manner of disbelief.
We, wife and I. were dog sitting for a friend. They were on their way back home from Florida. When they got to our house to pick up Sasha, Dave said a funny thing had happened on the way home, his daughter had called from Dayton and told him there was a crazy/odd message on her answering machine. "Osama, I can't reach you". My analytical training from my previous years as a "spook" kicked in and I thought "973 area code is an easy mistake to make in a rush for 937". contacted the FBI, reviewed my history/clearances with them and told them the story. They contacted the family in order to obtain the answering machine. Next day, maybe two days after, I read that arrests had been made in New Jersey (937 area code). Often wondered if I had even a small hand in any of this.
That's interesting. Well done.
Old 09-12-17, 01:47 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Working in the tallest building between New York and Chicago
Old 09-12-17, 04:02 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Working in Toledo, horrid day. My youngest brother was at school at YSU and I remember not being able to get ahold him or anyone else as there were rumors the 4th plane went rogue (Eagle Fan remembers this if he was in the building I'm thinking).

Of all things we contacted him through AOL IM.

Two good buddies dropped what they were doing and headed to NYC and helped in clearing the rubble.
Old 09-12-17, 04:42 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Turned on CNN with my morning coffee to see the smoke billowing out of the first tower hit. When I heard them say that a plane had hit the building, I remember thinking that maybe someone that had lost his azz when the "tech bubble" burst had decided to fly his Lear jet right through his broker's window when he couldn't make his payment on it. Then I was dumbfounded to see a 767 blast right into the second tower live. Surreal.
Old 09-12-17, 04:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Working in the tallest building between New York and Chicago
I remember looking at an enormous American flag on the west face of the Crile Building at the Clinic, contemplating the hate that the fundamentalists had for the Clinic's #1 customer at the time, Zayed, and wondering if that flag would make a target that they liked. It had been up for a while.

Wasn't it weird to look up in the sky and see no planes for those few days post-9/11 ?
Old 09-12-17, 05:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
That's interesting. Well done.
That is pretty cool.

I find the "bit parts" and "what ifs ?" around big events to be fascinating sometimes.
Old 09-12-17, 05:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
That is pretty cool.

I find the "bit parts" and "what ifs ?" around big events to be fascinating sometimes.
Yes, for example the highjackers of the Boston plane almost missed their first flight in Portland ME that day. If only US Air's terrible service could have slowed those guys down a few more minutes it would have changed everything.
Old 09-12-17, 05:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yes, for example the highjackers of the Boston plane almost missed their first flight in Portland ME that day. If only US Air's terrible service could have slowed those guys down a few more minutes.
if only
Old 09-12-17, 05:58 PM
All Yappi

The butterfly effect for stuff like that can be really fascinating.
Old 09-13-17, 12:08 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
It really has lead to much more security at the airports that is for sure.

Have flown a lot internationally and you and your bags go through 2 screenings each stop. Once when you enter the airport and then again before getting to the terminal and on connecting flights we would go through it twice again.

Rather annoying but did make it seem tougher to sneak things through.
Old 09-13-17, 02:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
It really has lead to much more security at the airports that is for sure.

Have flown a lot internationally and you and your bags go through 2 screenings each stop. Once when you enter the airport and then again before getting to the terminal and on connecting flights we would go through it twice again.

Rather annoying but did make it seem tougher to sneak things through.
Yet the TSA stil manages to miss 95% of all banned items.
Old 09-13-17, 07:33 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Very cool story. So odd they were speaking in English, though.
Old 09-13-17, 10:18 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Wasn't it weird to look up in the sky and see no planes for those few days post-9/11 ?
Extremely weird.
Old 09-13-17, 10:20 AM
All World

Quote:
Yet the TSA stil manages to miss 95% of all banned items.
You got a link or just more BS from someone who has never done anything but has all the answers?
Old 09-13-17, 10:20 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Don't remember. It was 16 years ago
This post makes you out to be just who I thought you were.
Old 09-13-17, 10:37 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
You got a link or just more BS from someone who has never done anything but has all the answers?
TSA misses 95%
Old 09-13-17, 10:38 AM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
This post makes you out to be just who I thought you were.
Who did you think I was?
Old 09-13-17, 10:43 AM
All District

Username1 is on a distinguished road
I was at work. Securing the mall so shoppers feel safe.
Old 09-13-17, 10:43 AM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Old 09-13-17, 10:48 AM
All District

It's an important job man.
Old 09-13-17, 01:07 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I had to make two simular calls to the FBI in the 18 months after 9/11. Both involved vehicals with Michigan plates, with three people of mideastern ethinicity pulling up to public buildings and taking pictures. One was at a ARNG base and the other they were taking pictures of the back vehicular doors to a federal courthouse.
Old 09-13-17, 01:19 PM
All District

Quote:
Sounds like we were both out there protecting everyday citizens from evil.
Old 09-13-17, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
On my way to biology class in my final semester at NKU as an undergrad. Watched a little on TV at the student lounge area after bio, then went home around noon instead of sticking around for Literature and Film.
Old 09-14-17, 12:53 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Very cool story. So odd they were speaking in English, though.
Not really, especially if he was around other people.

In talking to people who speak Arabic and such (and English of course) they have told me that when they around Americans they try to speak in English as much as possible so they don't get suspicious or wonder what they are saying.

If they were some place around Americans they may have said that just to not make themselves suspicious.

Now, of course, the attacks happened before the western world got extremely paranoid/afraid of them but that is how it is now to some.
Old 09-14-17, 07:06 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Not really, especially if he was around other people.

In talking to people who speak Arabic and such (and English of course) they have told me that when they around Americans they try to speak in English as much as possible so they don't get suspicious or wonder what they are saying.

If they were some place around Americans they may have said that just to not make themselves suspicious.

Now, of course, the attacks happened before the western world got extremely paranoid/afraid of them but that is how it is now to some.
Were they saying the before or after 9/11?
Old 09-14-17, 11:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Who did you think I was?
The self-absorbed center of your own petty little universe ?
Old 09-14-17, 11:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
I was at work. Securing the mall so shoppers feel safe.
Ted Blart?!?! Izatyou??
Old 09-14-17, 02:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Were they saying the before or after 9/11?
After is when I have talked to them but it easily could have been before as well. The key is to always blend in so them speakinf English if in the US is totally believeablw

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: