Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-02-17, 10:57 PM
All World

WestSideBomber is on a distinguished road
The logic lotr is using is the same logic people use to claim baseball is dying...despite it being more financially healthy than ever before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-17, 07:19 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I doubt that. They likely understand if they raise prices x% and sell less than x% fewer tickets, that's a win. As EP mentioned, if you raise revenue by increasing margin at the expense of volume, most businesses would consider that healthy.

It's really pretty incredible they've been able to do this in the face of the challenges legal and illegal streaming presents. I would have expected the industry was in trouble too prior to actually looking at the figures.

Not sure why this triggers you so much(in before obvious lie about how it doesn't bother you in the least.)
The movie business is not "most businesses". They are in a special relationship with their distributors (movie theater owners) whose own business model requires people's butts in seats to be financially viable. This means that ticket sales are the most relevant measure of the industry's health. Falling ticket sales are a long term problem for the studios (you can't keep raising prices forever) and an immediate problem for theater owners.

And the studios "impressive" ability to aggressively raise prices in the face of falling demand can be attributed almost entirely to the widespread introduction of Real 3D & IMAX to the movie going experience. These innovations justified big price increases and saved Hollywood. Of course upgrading the movie theaters to accommodate them was expensive as was the transformation to stadium seating (a great idea). So theater owners need to see increasing ticket sales to deal with the debt they accumulated renovating their theaters.

But to get the discussion back to the topic of this thread my original point was that studios need to be attracting more people to the theater by producing more original & entertaining movies not endlessly putting out sequels, prequels, relaunches and remaking old movies with a strange twist to satisfy the bizarre fetish of the SJW folks. The more Hollywood ignores it's customers the faster ticket sales will drop and without any major new innovations like IMAX/Real 3D waiting in the wings (what, will they introduce surround smell) they won't be able to keep raising ticket prices and as theaters start closing the studios will feel the pinch.
Old 09-03-17, 07:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideBomber View Post
The logic lotr is using is the same logic people use to claim baseball is dying...despite it being more financially healthy than ever before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are similarities in that baseball dominated the sports scene like movies once dominated entertainment. Now both businesses struggle to hold on to their customers as they face a hugely expanded & diverse market.
Old 09-03-17, 08:00 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
There are similarities in that baseball dominated the sports scene like movies once dominated entertainment. Now both businesses struggle to hold on to their customers as they face a hugely expanded & diverse market.
Baseball still dominates local TV. Last year 9 teams (basically 1/3 of the US teams) were the #1 primetime show in their market. 16 (more than 1/2) were in the top 3. All but 5 were the top ranked program on cable TV.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#1e135ad54ce9

Also last season, MLB had its 11th best attended season of all time. Remember when baseball dominated the sports scene? Back in the golden age of baseball? When the league averaged like 1/2 of what it does now?

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/m...-season-100516

Or how about the money part (you know, the part businesses care about). MLB breaks revenue records every year now. "the average value of an MLB franchise jumped 19% in the past year" (http://thecomeback.com/mlb/mlb-reven...ercent-up.html) and "The figure marks the 14th consecutive year that baseball has posted record revenues" (https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#685d052b7088).

Baseball, like the movies, is doing pretty well.
Old 09-03-17, 09:47 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
What makes me laugh is that lotr despises the "Hollywood Elite" (read politics) and is judging their demise on theater sales, which is only part of the revenue of the Hollywood Elite he hates and hopes to diminish their political influence. Of course none of this is actually happening, because not only are movie revenues increasing, but they've been able to expand their revenue base through other channels of distribution, likely making them even more influential.
Old 09-03-17, 12:12 PM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Agreed. He really can't stand that Hollywood is succeeding despite producing content he doesn't like.

People like him are just the other side of the coin to SJW's, and it's hilarious how neither side can see it.
Old 09-03-17, 03:49 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
I actually feel kind of bad for those whose lives and identities are so intertwined with their political ideology that literally everything becomes an us versus them issue. Lotr has clearly allowed it to consume him over the last couple of years.
Old 09-03-17, 06:50 PM
All Yappi

Wow, three of my favorite posters in a row concerned about me - I feel touched. My guess is that you guys read WAY TO MUCH into my posts. But just to keep it real as they say:

* Sure I don't like the Hollywood elites. They have foolishly politicized their industry and as the famous conservative firebrand Laura Ingraham once wrote "shut up & sing".

* If you think rapidly escalating production & marketing costs combined with declining ticket sales isn't a big problem for the movie studios then you're a fool.

* NEO comparing me to a SJW shows that you have no idea what SJW's are. SJW's are way beyond partisan, which is what I am, they are totalitarians who wish to enforce their politically correct behavioral codes on everyone. While I may be an outspoken critic of all things involving Social Justice, progressive thinking, the corrupt media & most of Hollywood I have NO desire to force my will on them to change anything. They are free to be fools. And if Hollywood wants to remake Rocky featuring lesbian sumo wrestlers they can go right ahead. I'll restrict my reaction to not buying a ticket and mocking the decision to make such a movie.

* I tend to admire folks who have strong opinions on important topics. Like the old saying goes "if you don't believe in anything you'll fall for everything".
Old 09-03-17, 07:27 PM
All American

Quote:
I tend to admire folks who have strong opinions on important topics.
I suppose that explains why you said you found the writings of white nationalists interesting.

Quote:
Like the old saying goes "if you don't believe in anything you'll fall for everything".
Hilarious considering you have no actual opinions on anything beyond supporting Trump.

As ronnie noted, you see an us vs them mentality in virtually every area of life. Which must be both exhausting, and places you in the same category as SJW's. Sorry if that stings, but it's the truth.
Old 09-03-17, 07:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I suppose that explains why you said you found the writings of white nationalists interesting.

Hilarious considering you have no actual opinions on anything beyond supporting Trump.

As ronnie noted, you see an us vs them mentality in virtually every area of life. Which must be both exhausting, and places you in the same category as SJW's. Sorry if that stings, but it's the truth.
Now you're just trolling NEO. You can accuse me of a lot of things but to claim I have no "opinions on anything beyond supporting Trump" is to ignore my posting history. Fact is my friends claim I'm way to opinionated on everything.

As for what I find interesting my criteria is pretty simple I judge ideas & concepts on whether they're interesting to me, regardless of the source. I'm a pretty staunch anti-communist but find some of the writings of Karl Marx and Lenin to be very interesting. I'm agnostic but find the teachings of Jesus to be extraordinarily provocative.

But I have to ask why do you care about whether I'm just the mirror image of a SJW or that I'm to pro Trump or to partisan? Just argue against my positions by citing your own positions then make your case. Don't slyly call me a white nationalist or a SJW to discredit my opinions. Ad hominem attacks are the sign of a weak mind and simply demonstrate that you don't have an effective counter argument.
Old 09-03-17, 07:55 PM
All American

Quote:
But I have to ask why do you care about whether I'm just the mirror image of a SJW
Because you, along with BJ, are an interesting microcosm of how the fringe on each side is a mirror image of one another. It's something a lot of people have observed in real life, but it's fascinating to see it so clearly reflected on a message board.

Quote:
Ad hominem attacks are the sign of a weak mind and simply demonstrate that you don't have an effective counter argument.
Does this apply to your favorite tactic of claiming someone is a liberal or never-Trumper when they disagree with you?
Old 09-05-17, 06:14 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Why on earth would I be pissed? I won't be spending my money on this crap and watching the SJW infested Hollywood self destruct is deeply satisfying. The truth is that TV long ago supplanted the movies for delivering compelling entertainment. Heck as GOT has shown the small screen can even boast better & more spectacular special effects. Bottom line is that the movies don't matter much anymore which is sad.

As an aside Taco, other than the tongue in cheek responses on this thread envisioning this movie to be a big-screen Hooters on an Island romp, are you actually looking forward to seeing a remake of "Lord of the Flies" featuring an all female cast?
Because you have, time and time again, melted over all female movies. Thanks for doing so again!

No, where did I ever imply I was looking forward to it? Just because I'm making fun of you for your inevitable rant (which you didn't fail to deliver), doesn't mean I want to see the movie.
Old 09-05-17, 08:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Because you have, time and time again, melted over all female movies. Thanks for doing so again!

No, where did I ever imply I was looking forward to it? Just because I'm making fun of you for your inevitable rant (which you didn't fail to deliver), doesn't mean I want to see the movie.
You are way to obsessed with what I post on Yappi. It's actually kind of creepy.
Old 09-05-17, 11:11 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
You are way to obsessed with what I post on Yappi. It's actually kind of creepy.
Thanks for being someone that everyone can laugh at!
Old 09-05-17, 11:37 AM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
I guess Hollywood thinks a 2+ hour long cat fight will generate millions in revenue. This only works if the chicks are of age and are hot!
Old 09-05-17, 01:58 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
I actually feel kind of bad for those whose lives and identities are so intertwined with their political ideology that literally everything becomes an us versus them issue. Lotr has clearly allowed it to consume him over the last couple of years.
No doubt.
Old 09-06-17, 04:32 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Hyped for this movie.
Old 09-06-17, 06:21 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
The only problem I would have with this is if they actually called it "Lord of the Flies"...

I will avoid this movie as I did the female ghost busters.....
Old 09-06-17, 06:52 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Hyped for this movie.
princess digs chick flicks, what a maroon
Old 09-06-17, 06:58 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
The only problem I would have with this is if they actually called it "Lord of the Flies"...

"Lady of the Flies"?
"Madamoiselle of the Flies"?
"Baroness of the Flies"?
"Ms. Lord of the Flies"?
Old 09-06-17, 07:20 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post

Why would they name it anything else?

I feel ya on that though. I held out for Redbox on the new Ghostbusters and even then I felt I had wasted that ~$2.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: