Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-27-17, 06:20 PM
All Yappi

INDIANS_RULE
Send a message via Yahoo to INDIANS_RULE
My buddy took his driver out and gave it to his son. I still hit mine as I don't usually get in too much trouble with it. Key word is usually ha ha.
Old 07-27-17, 06:34 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Besides playing my home course, Sleepy Hollow, in Alliance, the last few weeks, I've played Reserve Run in Poland and The Links at Firestone Farms in Columbiana.

Reserve Run is a mini Quarry. It's very scenic and has some unique holes. Firestone Farms is a links style course with some pricey homes bordering it. I enjoyed both outings and highly recommend playing them if anyone travels to the Youngstown area.

On the agenda next week is Fowlers Mill in Chesterland. Hopefully Myron will be able to join male 11's and I. On tap for the following week is Little Mountain, in Painsville, a Jimmy Hamlin course. Little Mountain is not for those weak of heart.
Old 07-27-17, 06:40 PM
All Yappi

Also in the few last weeks, some highs and lows. After shooting a lifetime low of 77 at Sleepy, I followed up with a 90 at The Quarry, then back to my usual 82-89.

A week or so later, a 76. Well, the Golf Gods figured they'd had enough of that, and saddled me with an 88 and 89 the next two days. Those Golf Gods just like to screw with you.

I actually scored my first eagle last week, dropping in a 6 iron from 155 yards. Blind squirrel, meet acorn.
Old 07-31-17, 02:04 PM
All Yappi

Male 11's and I are playing Fowlers Mill, in Chesterland, on Thursday morning. We played it two years ago, on a Sunday afternoon, and had to walk off after 15 because of pace of play. This year, we will be one of the first ones off.

Any input on the course?
Old 07-31-17, 02:10 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 111411 View Post
Male 11's and I are playing Fowlers Mill, in Chesterland, on Thursday morning. We played it two years ago, on a Sunday afternoon, and had to walk off after 15 because of pace of play. This year, we will be one of the first ones off.

Any input on the course?
I heard there's slow play there.
Old 07-31-17, 02:12 PM
All American

4cards is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Any input on the course?
...Great track! I played it for the first time about 40 years ago and it's still a favorite of mine although the greens fees are quite a bit higher now than they were back then...I think it's about $ 50.00 to play there now but still a good price for the course you get to play.

It's not really all that long...7000+ from the tips but there is trouble lurking on a lot of holes. # 9 is a fun golf hole...decisions, decisions, decisions!

Last edited by 4cards; 08-01-17 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-31-17, 03:25 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Any input on the course?
Played quite a bit on that course over the years, all the way back to when TRW owned it as a corporate club; it will test your shot decision skills. Not only on the famous split fairway holes, #9 & #12, but also on the dog leg #4 that wraps around the lake. Also in typical Pete Dye fashion not all bunkers are created equal. Make sure not to go for sucker pins and have terrifying up and downs, especially on #17.
Old 07-31-17, 09:36 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
On a three day golf trip to Wisconsin. Played Whistling Straits today. Wow, what a landscape, what topography, and what a demanding challenge-even from just the Whites! The holes I parred (few of them) and bogeyed really were trials just to get to that score. Walked 7.4 miles. Had my share of doubles and triples, and inevitably after taking an 8 or 7, I'd go to the next tee box, size up the intimidating next shot, and then look 100 yards back and see the tips where the pros shoot par from. Makes you appreciate their ability!

#18 there (where Dustin Johnson grounded his club to lose the 2010 PGA), whether from the tee, the valley fairway, or green, is as spectacular of a hole as you'll find in golf. TV and pictures do it no justice.

Also played Blackwolf Run's Meadows course which was a wonderful golf experience.

Headed out for 8 or 9 miles on Erin Hills tomorrow! (And didn't mean to block your Fowler's conversation, Ones. Just the timing Of things!)
Old 08-01-17, 07:52 PM
All American

FairFieldGolf87
Im relocating to the Cleveland area for work and was hoping for some good public course recommendations. Ill be living in Strongsville so hoping for some good recs to the south and southwest of downtown.
Old 08-01-17, 11:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairFieldGolf87 View Post
Im relocating to the Cleveland area for work and was hoping for some good public course recommendations. Ill be living in Strongsville so hoping for some good recs to the south and southwest of downtown.
Shale Creek, Grey Hawk, Sweetbriar Legacy (before 9 AM, when that place starts to get jammed up).
Old 08-02-17, 07:31 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Going on a weekend golf trip to Louisville soon. Anyone familiar enough with the courses down there to give some recommendations?
Old 08-02-17, 08:04 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
First of all a great site that has a lot of CLE courses on it: http://www.golfclevelandohio.com/index.html

The closest and the best to Strongsville is Pine Hills: https://www.golfpinehills.net/

Pleasant Valley is also decent and will not be as crowded as Pine Hills, good get a quick round in at a value type place. While very busy Sleepy Hollow in Brecksville is a great value and a solid classic parkland course.
Old 08-02-17, 11:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Shale Creek
Little Mountain
Old 08-02-17, 11:51 AM
All American

Quote:
Shale Creek
Little Mountain
...hey buddy, let me know if you enjoyed Fowlers Mills after you and the boy play tomorrow!!!
Old 08-02-17, 11:54 AM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Golf league tonight.

Circling Hills back 9. If rain holds out, it's going to be great weather.
Old 08-02-17, 03:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
...hey buddy, let me know if you enjoyed Fowlers Mills after you and the boy play tomorrow!!!
I will. Look for a post sometime tomorrow evening.
Old 08-02-17, 04:34 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I'm so jealous of you guys. I'm lucky to play two 9's a week while you guys are playing on courses that have hosted majors. 42 in my league last night with a snowman.
Old 08-02-17, 06:38 PM
All Ohio

JoshuaRanch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
...this was very evident yesterday. The plan was to play 18 at Mill Creek in Boardman and we were only able to get 9 holes in before we gave up. We played the first hole and after that the group of 2 let us play through (very rare on a public course). After that we had nothing but slow play (4'somes) that wouldn't allow us through saying "where are you going to go, it's real slow ahead of us." These same fools weren't raking the bunkers, not replacing divots, leaving empty beer cans on the tee box.
After watching this for 5 or 6 holes and the number of slow players still ahead of us, we went into the pro shop and they gave us a rain check to come back another time. If there was ever a reason to join a private club, I got it yesterday...!
4cards, was in Boardman/Canfiled area overnight right off of 680, on business a few weeks ago, had my clubs with me, Mill Creek was packed, ended up playing at a place called Kensington just before you get into Canfield. I hadn't been in that part of Ohio for more than 40 years. What a gorgeous course. Played with a really nice couple from Austintown. I played really well, shot a 79, the only reason it was not lower was because of unknowns on the course where I hit where I shouldn't have, 3 doubles. But what a layout, trees, great greens, creeks, beautiful scenery.
Old 08-02-17, 06:58 PM
All American

FairFieldGolf87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Shale Creek, Grey Hawk, Sweetbriar Legacy (before 9 AM, when that place starts to get jammed up).
Thanks for the recs everyone. I'll definitely give Shale Creek and others a go. Are the Metropark courses any good?
Old 08-02-17, 09:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Thanks for the recs everyone. I'll definitely give Shale Creek and others a go. Are the Metropark courses any good?
I love Manikiki and Big Met, but get there before 9:00 AM or it will be a slow slog. I've never personally liked Sleepy Hollow, but I seem to be in the minority on this opinion. Save your money and skip Seneca.

Auggie's Pine Hills rec is a great one. That slipped my mind. And Pleasant Valley is also a nice track
Old 08-03-17, 08:04 AM
All Yappi

Manikiki is a great Donald Ross course but on the complete opposite side of the metro area from Strongsville; something like a 45-60 minute drive depending on time of day. As Myron called out there are some tough holes, especially on the back side, that really back things up so you need to time it when you play it. Also try the Hawthorne Valley course I outlined earlier in this thread. A little closer to Strongsville and has the same vibe as Manakiki too as it was designed by Donald Ross.
Old 08-03-17, 01:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Ahhh, Fowlers Mill. LOVED IT!

What a beautiful course! We teed off at 7:00, finished at 9:41, and never saw a soul unless you count the mowers. Tough holes, moderate holes, deep, deep, wet rough. They must've received a LOT of rain up there, because the course was wet and we got absolutely NO roll. We were leaving ball marks in the fairways. The greens were fair and they held your shot. It's tough paying a course when you don't know it. I started with a birdie and chipped one in for a birdie on the way to a 43/42. The gentleman in the clubhouse was very friendly. An all around great experience.
Old 08-03-17, 02:57 PM
All American

^^^^^
...glad to hear that you guys had a good time and that you hit the ball well. The first time I went to play there, it had rained for a couple of days prior (pretty hard) and I figured there would be some standing water but when we pulled into the parking lot...no cars...? Why? The course was completely under water due to the Chagrin River overflowing it's banks. So a few years later I made it back there and had a great time.
Old 08-03-17, 03:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Ahhh, Fowlers Mill. LOVED IT!

What a beautiful course! We teed off at 7:00, finished at 9:41, and never saw a soul unless you count the mowers. Tough holes, moderate holes, deep, deep, wet rough. They must've received a LOT of rain up there, because the course was wet and we got absolutely NO roll. We were leaving ball marks in the fairways. The greens were fair and they held your shot. It's tough paying a course when you don't know it. I started with a birdie and chipped one in for a birdie on the way to a 43/42. The gentleman in the clubhouse was very friendly. An all around great experience.
85 is a solid score for the 1st time at that track. It poured last night around 6:00 for a good 30-45 minutes, then a few showers in the evening so I am not surprised that the course was wet as there was no time for the sun to dry things out.
Old 08-03-17, 03:59 PM
All Yappi

Back to Sleepy for the immediate future. Maybe a possibility to get out with Myron earlier in the week.

Little Mountain next Thursday at 7:33. I may have to bring my shovel to that course. Traps galore. Hopefully Myron can join us.
Old 08-03-17, 04:02 PM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Was on the cusp of my best round of 9 for the league when we were shortened by rain and lightning. I was playing bogey golf through 5 with a par and a winning shot on closest to the pin. First cash of the year.
Old 08-03-17, 04:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
Was on the cusp of my best round of 9 for the league when we were shortened by rain and lightning. I was playing bogey golf through 5 with a par and a winning shot on closest to the pin. First cash of the year.
I would have kept playing!

Old 08-04-17, 02:23 PM
All Yappi

From the files of I've seen it all:

Our weekday , 8:45 group at Sleepy Hollow consists of 3-4 golfers. We are all members. There is also an 8:20 group of members that goes off on weekday mornings. Our course is now the home to two high school golf teams, one of which had a 9:00 match.

Three of us played 1 and 2 without incident, but as we approached 3 tee box, we noticed a threesome drive in front of the green and head up the hill to 4.

Error #1: driving in front of the green on a Par 3.
Error #2: cutting another group off

We finished 3 and drove up the hill to 4, where we waited on the tee box while the threesome hit. A member of our group, which will will refer to as Angryman, fumed. We teed off, went to our ball and waited and waited, while the threesome putted, then practiced putting. Angryman was now beside himself.

We hit, then approached the threesome, which consisted of a coach and two teenagers. Angryman jumped out of the cart before I stopped it, then got in the face of the young coach, explaining the concept of golf etiquette to him. The coach tried to defend himself by saying they were only practicing on six holes. Angryman explained that he should've started on 1.

Where has golf etiquette and common sense gone? I'm betting the young coach will never cut anyone else off in the near future.
Old 08-04-17, 02:27 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaRanch View Post
4cards, was in Boardman/Canfiled area overnight right off of 680, on business a few weeks ago, had my clubs with me, Mill Creek was packed, ended up playing at a place called Kensington just before you get into Canfield. I hadn't been in that part of Ohio for more than 40 years. What a gorgeous course. Played with a really nice couple from Austintown. I played really well, shot a 79, the only reason it was not lower was because of unknowns on the course where I hit where I shouldn't have, 3 doubles. But what a layout, trees, great greens, creeks, beautiful scenery.
...Kensington is a great layout and not what you would expect to find in NE Ohio. Your correct in the scenery and it's a tough track so 79 is a very good score there. If you see that you might be in the area again, shoot me a PM as Kensington is actually closer to my house than Mill Creek...and they're both less than 5 mins away!
Old 08-04-17, 02:37 PM
All American

Quote:
From the files of I've seen it all:

Our weekday , 8:45 group at Sleepy Hollow consists of 3-4 golfers. We are all members. There is also an 8:20 group of members that goes off on weekday mornings. Our course is now the home to two high school golf teams, one of which had a 9:00 match.

Three of us played 1 and 2 without incident, but as we approached 3 tee box, we noticed a threesome drive in front of the green and head up the hill to 4.

Error #1: driving in front of the green on a Par 3.
Error #2: cutting another group off

We finished 3 and drove up the hill to 4, where we waited on the tee box while the threesome hit. A member of our group, which will will refer to as Angryman, fumed. We teed off, went to our ball and waited and waited, while the threesome putted, then practiced putting. Angryman was now beside himself.

We hit, then approached the threesome, which consisted of a coach and two teenagers. Angryman jumped out of the cart before I stopped it, then got in the face of the young coach, explaining the concept of golf etiquette to him. The coach tried to defend himself by saying they were only practicing on six holes. Angryman explained that he should've started on 1.

Where has golf etiquette and common sense gone? I'm betting the young coach will never cut anyone else off in the near future.
...people watch to much tv, too many practice swings, too many practice putts, to much posing....instead they need to learn golf etiquette (rake traps, repair divots, be aware of the golfers behind you, and for God's sake----PLAY READY GOLF!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: