Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.22 average. Display Modes
Old 09-07-17, 02:53 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all for your concern. Things are pretty hectic in South Florida. Nobody seems to know exactly where this hurricane is going to make landfall. It's tough to evacuate since you might be getting yourself into even more trouble. In the Miami area, gas and water are at a premium. Only 34% of the gas stations in Miami-Dade and Broward have gasoline. There haven't been available flights north out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale or West Palm in the last three days. Right now, the odds are not good for driving out of Miami since it takes about 6 1/2 hours (450 miles) to get to Georgia border. The Florida Keys have already started to evacuate and the traffic heading north is really heavy. Also, there is no guarantee that we'd be able to get gas along the way since many stations are already having problems supplying customers. Mrs. OWK's and I have reservations at a hotel in Fort Myers (west coast), but just found out it could be evacuated. I don't think it's a good idea to drive across Alligator Alley to be put out on the street due to an evacuation (especially with the gas shortage). Looks like we're gonna hunker down since it seems like a better option than being alligator feed. We should be OK since we have a sturdy condo and excellent hurricane shutters. We also are stocked with food, water, batteries and emergency supplies. Hopefully, the roof will stay on. Lots of folks down here are in trouble, so prayers would really be helpful. Thanks again and I've keep you posted...whenever that is possible.

ROCK ON!
Old 09-07-17, 03:07 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the update, OWK. Good to hear you're doing well.

My nephew and his wife in West Palm Beach reported being unable to gas their cars up Monday and Tuesday, and the grocery store shelves were bare until yesterday. She's a nurse and scheduled to work Saturday evening and Sunday evening. He's considering just staying at the hospital with her, which is probably their best bet.
Old 09-07-17, 03:19 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
OWK,
Please keep us updated as best you can. I feel myself getting worried about you and Mrs. OWK already.
We will have you guys in our prayers all the time.
Old 09-07-17, 05:09 PM
All District

Diva is on a distinguished road
Yes, prayers for everyone in its path.
Old 09-07-17, 05:21 PM
All Ohio

Zunardo,
There I go again with my narrowly focused brain of mine......Of course, all our best for your nephew and his wife to come thru this storm unscathed.

Diva,
You have the right idea, as in your prayers for all. If there's room on that boat for Mr. & Mrs. Monclova, we'll gladly join you in that endeavor.
Old 09-07-17, 07:12 PM
All District

Always
Old 09-07-17, 08:24 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Just to shed a bit of a different light on our good leader and his good lady. First a note on the passing of former New York Yankee, Gene Michael passed away yesterday at the age of 79. He was originally from Kent and Akron, Ohio.

Originally drafted by the Pittsburgh in 1959, "Stick" went on to play 10 years in the majors as a short stop for the Yankees. In addition, to that he managed the Yankees and the Cubs and served as the general manager of the New York club. He is widely credited with making the Yankees the powerhouse that they were several decades ago and establishing a template for excellence in major league sports.

I mention this now as a reflection for our intrepid leader, who, as a youth, use to shag flies and engage in other sand lot games on the open fields in Akron that was youth baseball in the 50's.

In an era that will probably never happen again, major leaguer, Gene Michaels would stop by and play with the boys. Sort of like Willie Mays playing stick ball with the neighborhood kids in his early years with the Brooklyn Dodgers.
Old 09-07-17, 11:15 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Just to shed a bit of a different light on our good leader and his good lady. First a note on the passing of former New York Yankee, Gene Michael passed away yesterday at the age of 79. He was originally from Kent and Akron, Ohio.

Originally drafted by the Pittsburgh in 1959, "Stick" went on to play 10 years in the majors as a short stop for the Yankees. In addition, to that he managed the Yankees and the Cubs and served as the general manager of the New York club. He is widely credited with making the Yankees the powerhouse that they were several decades ago and establishing a template for excellence in major league sports.

I mention this now as a reflection for our intrepid leader, who, as a youth, use to shag flies and engage in other sand lot games on the open fields in Akron that was youth baseball in the 50's.

In an era that will probably never happen again, major leaguer, Gene Michaels would stop by and play with the boys. Sort of like Willie Mays playing stick ball with the neighborhood kids in his early years with the Brooklyn Dodgers.
Bevo - Thanks for mentioning the passing of Gene Michael. It was sad to hear this news, but it does bring back some great memories from my youth. It also takes my mind away from thinking about the oncoming Hurricane Irma.

As a grade school youngster in Akron, I used to shag fly balls for Gene Michael, Dave Young (father of Walsh University basketball coach, Jeff Young) and some of their East High School teammates. In the summertime, I would go to Akron's Reservoir Park almost every weekday at 9:30 am. I would shag fly balls and chase baseballs until almost noon when I had to be home for lunch. These players, who I idolized, would let me chase baseballs all morning and then I'd get my turn to bat (3-swings and a bunt). Sounds like a bad deal, but I loved it. These guys were neighborhood heroes who were either finishing their high school years or starting their college careers (Gene Michael at Kent State and Dave Young at Akron). I can't tell you what a thrill it was just to be on the same field with them. Gene Michael was also an excellent basketball player who was a member of the Golden Flashes hoop squad. It was great to follow his professional baseball career as a player, a manager and later a front office executive.

Years ago, we had a trivia question on this thread that was something like, "What Mid-American baseball fields were named after players who were also outstanding MAC basketball players?" I think there were three players that "filled the bill", but I can only think of two: KSU's Gene Michael and Ohio's Bob Wren. I think that "JB" or rdlwolverine might be able to identify the third player, but we'll have to wait and see. Below is a NY Yankees tribute to "Stick", Gene Michael:
https://www.mlb.com/video/yanks-pay-...l/c-1817131083

Thanks for your prayers and concern for all of us in Florida who are in harm's way. It is much appreciated.

Rock On and RIP Gene Michael!
Old 09-08-17, 09:43 AM
Varsity

rdlwolverine is on a distinguished road
I am stumped, OWK, even after doing some research. Stanley McKie (Miami) and Ron Oestrike (EMU) played baseball at the schools where the stadiums are named after them, but not basketball and they attended those schools before they were members of the MAC. I thought maybe the original question did not narrow the stadiums to MAC schools, as Malone Univ. field is named after former Kent State baseball star Thurman Munson but he didn't play basketball at Kent.

A couple of interesting tidbits I learned in my research - the first two College WOrld Series (1947 and 1948) were played at WMU, the most famous participants in the 47 CWS were Jackie Jensen and George HW Bush. I also did not know that Steve Stone played baseball for Kent State.
Old 09-08-17, 10:24 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlwolverine View Post
I am stumped, OWK, even after doing some research. Stanley McKie (Miami) and Ron Oestrike (EMU) played baseball at the schools where the stadiums are named after them, but not basketball and they attended those schools before they were members of the MAC. I thought maybe the original question did not narrow the stadiums to MAC schools, as Malone Univ. field is named after former Kent State baseball star Thurman Munson but he didn't play basketball at Kent.

A couple of interesting tidbits I learned in my research - the first two College WOrld Series (1947 and 1948) were played at WMU, the most famous participants in the 47 CWS were Jackie Jensen and George HW Bush. I also did not know that Steve Stone played baseball for Kent State.
rdlwolverine - I doubt that you are stumped. I'm probably incorrect in thinking there were three MAC baseball stadiums named after former MAC basketball players. There might have only been two stadiums. Either way, thanks for doing some research on the subject.

As for Steve Stone, yes, a MAC guy from Kent State. Stone is originally from South Euclid and played high school ball for a friend of mine at Brush High School (the Arcs) in Lyndhurst.

Gotta finish up with some last minute preparations for the hurricane. In doing preparations, I came across the following info that might prove helpful to you. Here's how you can recharge your cell phone without electrical power.
http://www.news-press.com/videos/new...ncy/105366118/

ROCK ON!
Old 09-08-17, 12:53 PM
All District

Great info about the cell phone, thank you.
Old 09-09-17, 03:26 PM
All District

Here you go.
Old 09-09-17, 03:41 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post

Here you go.
I always preferred Michael Murphy's vocal on this song.
Old 09-09-17, 04:46 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

rdlwolverine,
Thanks for bringing up Ron Oestrike, someone who I had the pleasure of playing for in the early 70's. When I was there, the stadium was brand new; and I don't even know if it had a name at that point. Coach Oestrike was a wonderful man in addition to being an excellent coach. He built EMU into an outstanding program, leaving a legacy to be admired.
EMU did a great thing by naming the baseball park Ron Oestrike Stadium. My brief career there may have been best characterized as undistinguished, but Coach Oestrike anything but. May God rest his soul.

Last edited by Monclova Steve; 09-09-17 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-12-17, 09:34 AM
Varsity

EMU knocked out a good Michigan team in the NCAA tournament to advance to the CWS behind the pitching of Bob Welch and Bob Owchinko back when I was at UM.
Old 09-12-17, 10:58 AM
All American

Our leader says they are "Ok!" No cell, no internet, etc.
Old 09-12-17, 12:37 PM
All Ohio

Thanks for that, Bevo. Tremendous news!!!!!!
Old 09-12-17, 06:28 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Our leader says they are "Ok!" No cell, no internet, etc.
O...M...Goodness!

Old 09-13-17, 06:57 AM
All American

Tribe - 20 in a row! Having been a die-hard fan since 1960, I can't come close to explaining how great this is to lifers like me!! AND, I bought two tickets for today's game back in March and we are ready to leave right now!!!!!!

New quiz on the way soon; call it "The Earworm" quiz. Probably tomorrow; not today because I will be in CLEVELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-17, 09:49 AM
Varsity

Have fun in Cleveland, Bevo. I will be at the game in St Louis tonight, as I will be there for work on Thursday. First time at Busch Stadium or any of its predecessors.

My list of MLB stadia in rough chronological order -
Tiger Stadium (but not Comerica)
Yankee Stadium (old not new)
Municipal Stadium (but only for Browns game, not Indians)
Candlestick Park
Comiskey Park
County Stadium (Brewers)
Shea Stadium
Olympic Park
Three Rivers Stadium
Memorial Stadium (Baltimore)
LA Coliseum (but not for Dodgers who played there before Dodger Stadium was built)
Wrigley Field
Arlington Stadium (Old Rangers stadium)
Big A
Dodger Stadium
Camden Yards
Fenway Park
Turner Field (but for Olympic track and field, not Braves)
PNC Park
RFK Stadium
Coors Field
Nationals Park
Great American
Progressive Field
A&T Park
next . . . Busch Stadium
Old 09-13-17, 10:58 AM
All World

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Mrs. OWK and I are OK and we do have power (air-conditioning), but we still do not have Internet, TV access or cellular access. We're trying to check things out by using the Wi-Fi at McDonald's. Once again, thanks for your concern.

ROCK ON
Old 09-13-17, 07:08 PM
All American

Quote:
Have fun in Cleveland, Bevo. I will be at the game in St Louis tonight, as I will be there for work on Thursday. First time at Busch Stadium or any of its predecessors.

My list of MLB stadia in rough chronological order -
Tiger Stadium (but not Comerica)
Yankee Stadium (old not new)
Municipal Stadium (but only for Browns game, not Indians)
Candlestick Park
Comiskey Park
County Stadium (Brewers)
Shea Stadium
Olympic Park
Three Rivers Stadium
Memorial Stadium (Baltimore)
LA Coliseum (but not for Dodgers who played there before Dodger Stadium was built)
Wrigley Field
Arlington Stadium (Old Rangers stadium)
Big A
Dodger Stadium
Camden Yards
Fenway Park
Turner Field (but for Olympic track and field, not Braves)
PNC Park
RFK Stadium
Coors Field
Nationals Park
Great American
Progressive Field
A&T Park
next . . . Busch Stadium
Wow! How great is this? I'm envious. Good for you! (I mean that in the nice way).
Old 09-13-17, 09:23 PM
All American

Closest I will ever come to a playoff atmosphere! Twenty-one and counting. The number is just goofy!
Old 09-14-17, 10:30 AM
All World

Quote:
Closest I will ever come to a playoff atmosphere! Twenty-one and counting. The number is just goofy!
Sounds great Bevo and I hope the Tribe keeps rolling along. I hope, however, that they save some wins for the playoffs.

I'm back at Mickey D's to use the Wi-Fi and thought that I'd chime in. Thankfully we have power, but still no Internet, TV or mail service for much of our area of Miami (Kendall). It looks like fall in Ohio down here since there are so many brown leaves on the ground. Lots of trees were uprooted and, due to the heat, the leaves have died and turned brown pretty quickly. Many of the gas stations are still without fuel. Just happy that Mrs. OWK and I have power (air-conditioning).

I have to share two pretty good stories from the hurricane:

1. Last week, before the storm, I was watching TV and coverage was concerning the nearly two dozen cranes in downtown Miami. An executive from one of the crane companies was explaining that the cranes could withstand Cat 3 to Cat 4 winds. While he was being interviewed, the station interrupted him with an update from the Miami-Dade engineer's office. The update? Well, the county engineer announced that there was mandatory evacuation for anyone living near the downtown cranes. So much for the vote of confidence from the crane executive, huh?

2. I saw something I'd never seen in all my years of living in Ohio. In Weston (FL), east of Fort Lauderdale and Plantation, there are still many horse farms. They are known as the "SW Ranches". Well, some of the ranchers were spray painting their phone numbers on their HORSES. I guess they wanted to make sure they'd get their horses back if they were displayed during the hurricane. Pretty crazy, huh?

Anyway, I hope all is well with you and GO TRIBE!

ROCK ON!
Old 09-14-17, 05:48 PM
All American

Great update OWK! Sorry you don't have the electronic luxuries in life, but am glad to hear you have air conditioning. Stay safe.

On that note, we received an email from our CEO today informing us that a principal in the company's Ft. Lauderdale office had died as a result of stepping on a live electrical wire while trying to help a neighbor. Sad.

As I said above, hope you and yours stay safe and things get better for you day by day.
Old 09-17-17, 09:14 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Great update OWK! Sorry you don't have the electronic luxuries in life, but am glad to hear you have air conditioning. Stay safe.

On that note, we received an email from our CEO today informing us that a principal in the company's Ft. Lauderdale office had died as a result of stepping on a live electrical wire while trying to help a neighbor. Sad.

As I said above, hope you and yours stay safe and things get better for you day by day.
Thanks EagleGuy and I'm sorry about the death of the member of your company in Fort Lauderdale. That is indeed a very sad case.

Fortunately, my Internet and TV service has been repaired and I'm back in business. Things are slowly beginning to get back to normal in South Florida, although many people are still suffering.

ROCK ON!
Old 09-17-17, 02:01 PM
All District

Good to hear you're back, OWK. Sorry to hear about the man who was electrocuted, EagleGuy.
Old 09-17-17, 10:25 PM
All American

Sounds like OWK is up and running so we will proceed with the next quiz. Not one of the better ones to me. It's the earworm quiz featuring tv show themes that were released as records and did ok, well or even great. Will be posted sometime tomorrow - probably in the a. m.

Went through this last year when the Indians were good and the Browns were... . Amazing to switch back and forth between what could conceivably be the best team in baseball and the worst team in football, and they're in the same city about six blocks apart.

Let's go with four correct guesses tomorrow.
Old 09-18-17, 10:55 AM
All American

Earworm quiz! Those tunes that burrow their way into your brain and live there forever! four correct answers today!! Includes tv theme songs and other goofy presentations

1. Steve Martin's big hit. He wore a period costume.

2. Richard Harris' odd-ball song that soared up the charts.

3. This song was also called "Uptight, Everything Is All Right". Song is from '67 but the performer has been a big news story the last few years - and not in a good way.

4. This song by a sweat hog came out near the end of the first year of "Welcome Back Kotter".

5. Man, I recall this tune. It's from '70. The performer was in a tv show on Friday nights called "Here Come The Brides". He was a teen heart throb.

6. This was from one of the two leads on "Starsky and Hutch". Given his name it makes sense that it was this one of the two.

7. A "talkin' song by the head of the Cartwrights.

8. We've had this one before. One of the sons on "My Three Sons" was in a band that had a hit that was titled the same name as the band!

9. This guy is in his 80's - maybe close to 90 - and he is still very active in movies and tv. At the height of the tv program he was a "star" on in the 60's, he put out an album that included "Lucy in The Sky with Diamonds".

10. I remain a huge fan of Rodney Dangerfield. Rodney seemed to peak in all media in the 80's and he even had a song out partially called "Rappin' Rodney", which included his trademark line, which was the name of the song.

11. Pretty obscure here. But I liked this nut job also. He was a comdiean who burned white hot for a few years and then died. He was also good friends with Rodney. Our performer had a bit part in Rodney's "Back to School" and stole the movie.
He also redid a classic chestnut by Leslie West and Mountain. What was it?

12. She was the teenage daughter on the Donna Reed Show and the coach's girlfriend about 30 years later. Sort of a cutie. For this type of song, pretty good. This song sounds like a slow dance - or the back seat of a car.

13. I did not know this and I never got into the show. But of Crocket and Tubbs, one of them had a hit song. I still have vision problems from the pastels.

14. Gracie's husband, although seen with dozens of young women, was forever in love with his partner. He always said that their whole act consisted of him saying, "How's your brother?" And, then letting Gracie talk for 20 minutes.
Well, this codger had a hit song along with a brief uptick in his career in the 80's.

15. I never really enjoyed these guys but they were big with the counter culture (very good business people, too). I believe their most famous album was called "Big Bamboo". They had a hit with a take off on Bruce's "Born in The U.S.A.".

16. Happy birthday today to this Little Rascal/murder suspect. He turns 84 today. He had a pretty good detective show, circa, 75-78. One of the Rat Pack sang the theme song. Who and what was the song?

17. Craig Nelson stared in this show 58-61. Mancicni did the score. Song has been used for a lot or movies to show a certain mood or edginess. (Sometimes humorously.)

18. Two "Kotter" questions today! Who did the theme song and what was it called? Great performer in a great band.

19. I hated everything about this tv show. Dionne Warwick did the theme the last year the show was on. Who did it first? Show ran for an impossible 9 years!!

20. In the song "I Shot the Sheriff" by Bob Marley the name of the sheriff he shot was "Sheriff John Brown". In this early reality tv show the band "Inner Circle" references Sheriff John Brown. It was a regaee song. I believe another line in the show is,"whatcha gonna do when they come for you?"

21. The New Seekers had a hit with this song for a soda.

22. This show was very popular and included a roll call that ended with these words from actor, Michael Conrad, "Hey, let's be careful out there." The theme song was the name of the show.

23. This takes some deep memory! This song was a theme for an advertisement that showed a lot of people walking around. Had something to do with an upset stomach. Pretty catchy. Name of the band and the song, please! give yourself 50 bonus, no, make that 100 bonus points if you know this.

24. Billy Crystal got a song out of this send-up on SNL. Don't know if he had to pay a royalty to Fernado Lamas. Remember, down in Fernado's Hideaway, Fernado would tell us all: "It is better to look good, than feel good."

25. No one - even the big boys - will know this. This syndicated show out of Canada was on the early 60's. The star of the show was a dog. Terry Bush was the singer. Show's name and name of the song.

26. The real star of this show was a lion named Elsa. What was the theme song?

27. We had this before. Mike Douglas had a pretty decent tv talk show out of Cleveland on WKYC. He was also a version of Merv Griffin with his singing. He had a painfully, sentimental song about a dad and his daughter. (I liked it and would have to put it on my guilty pleasure list.)

28. Mr. French put out an album of this performer's songs as a "talking record".

29. This was a tv show from '81-'83. Mike Post did the music. Singer? song? Premise was that aliens visited and gave a guy powers and he then battled crime.

30. One of my all-time favorite tv shows. Mike Post did the music. Was No. 10 on Billboard in August of '75. Show always opened with a call coming into an answering machine. Great actor. Did a lot of tv for fifty years and was in a pretty decent movie called "Murphy's Romance".

31. Well, we all knew this one. Sung by the wife of Leonard Franklin Slye, it ended every show and is on the list of the top 100 western songs of all time. First appeared after a show in 1952. Beyond classic and iconic.

Last edited by Bevo; 09-18-17 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-18-17, 11:59 AM
All World

Bevo - Thanks for the quiz and it's great to be back. Here are my entries:

1. Steve Martin's big hit. He wore a period costume.
"King Tut"
2. Richard Harris' odd-ball song that soared up the charts.
"MacArthur Park"
18. Two "Kotter" questions today! Who did the theme song and what was it called? Great performer in a great band.
"Welcome Back", John Sebastian
21. The New Seekers had a hit with this song for a soda.
"I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing", commercial for Coca-Cola

ROCK ON!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: