Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #721  
Old 09-08-17, 09:52 AM
Zunardo Zunardo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-03-10
Posts: 1,282
Zunardo is on a distinguished road
That's interesting how each section of the sun rotates at different rates, and creates all the twisting magnetic fields. Never considered that before.
Reply With Quote
  #722  
Old 09-09-17, 03:59 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
here's some more on that asteroid that came uncomfortably close, at least on a solar systems scale:

http://www.sciencealert.com/the-aste...-double-mooner

The damn rock had it's own moons!

"While many known asteroids have passed by closer to Earth than Florence ... all of those were estimated to be smaller," said JPL-NASA's Paul Chodas, manager of the Center for Near-Earth Object Studies.

"Florence is the largest asteroid to pass by our planet this close since the NASA program to detect and track near-Earth asteroids began."

So how big is big enough to have moons? Florence is just 4.4 kilometres (2.7 miles) across. The moons themselves truly are tiny, between 100-300 metres (300-1,000 feet) across, with orbits of around eight hours for the inner moon and between 22 and 27 hours for the outer moon.

It's actually not unusual for asteroids to have moons. Around 60 near-Earth asteroids of the roughly 16,400 known have at least one moon.



Now let's get that space based earth defense system in place ASAP. An asteroid strike is the one proven existent threat facing us that HAS happened before.
Reply With Quote
  #723  
Old 09-12-17, 08:38 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
The remarkable Cassini probe is about to end it's long & illustrious career plunging to it's death in the atmosphere of Saturn.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/s...smtyp=cur&_r=0

This amazing machine has been studying Saturn and its moons for over 13 years. Check out the article at the NYT as it has some spectacular pictures of Saturn and its moons. Rest in peace Cassini for a job well done.
Reply With Quote
  #724  
Old 09-13-17, 04:09 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Be VERY careful guys, I've seen these movies and it never ends well for us!

http://news.sky.com/story/shape-shif...ation-11033655

Bacterial cells treated with a common antibiotic have been spotted changing shape to survive while aboard the International Space Station (ISS).


Seriously this is fascinating and important work:

The study also found that the bacterial cell envelope - the cell wall and outer membrane - thickened in space, protecting the E coli from the antibiotic.

In space the bacteria also tended to form in clumps, which Dr Zea thought was perhaps a defensive manoeuvre, which could involve outer cells protecting the inner cells from antibiotics.

Some of the bacterial cells were also spotted producing membrane vesicles, small capsules that form outside of the cell walls and act as messengers for cells to communicate with each other.

When these cells reach a critical mass they can synchronise to begin the infection process.

"Both the increase in cell envelope thickness and in the outer membrane vesicles may be indicative of drug resistance mechanisms being activated in the space flight samples," said Dr Zea.

"This experiment and others like it give us the opportunity to better understand how bacteria become resistant to antibiotics here on Earth."
Reply With Quote
  #725  
Old 09-14-17, 08:36 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Okay, I'm going to get on my soap box about a topic that is dear to my heart: Why are we allowing irresponsible "scientists" to announce our location to the Galaxy?

https://www.cnet.com/news/next-year-...ch-for-aliens/

But many SETI astronomers aren't content with only scanning the airwaves for signs of ET. Instead, they think we should also be actively reaching out to the cosmos on behalf of planet Earth.

These astronomers occupy a controversial niche within the SETI community known as Messaging Extraterrestrial Intelligences, or METI. At the forefront of this group is Douglas Vakoch, president of METI International, a research group dedicated to designing and sending messages intended for extraterrestrial recipients.



This is a bad idea and thankfully more folks are seeing that:

Vakoch and his colleagues at METI International are fighting an uphill battle. Aside from all the technical problems that come with trying to contact aliens, many SETI astronomers think it's a bad idea.

The METI opposition group, which includes scientists like Stephen Hawking, argues that since we have no idea what ET might be like, sending a message into the cosmos comes with a huge existential risk. If the aliens happen to be friendly, no problem. But if they're hostile, that means we're essentially sending out a beacon that says "ATTACK HERE."



Hawking is absolutely right here. We simply don't understand the type of civilization it would take to cross that stars. But we can guess and the answer is disturbing. It is probable that the first requirement for a star faring civilization is that it arises from a predatory species. Natural selection gifts Predator's with a highly developed 3D thinking capability. This evolutionary imperative means that predators are more apt to develop higher order mathematics & physics. Necessary prerequisites to building a star spanning civilization.

It also doesn't hep that periods of war (WW 1 & 2) or simmering strife (Cold War) are the conditions that breed the greatest technological leaps. Bottom line is that it's reasonable to assume that a civilization that could cross the stars would be war like or at least domineering in a way that we would not want to deal with.

IMO it's a moral matter that we don't burden future generations with having to deal with the nightmare scenario of alien invasion. It doesn't matter if our reaching out to extraterrestrial civilizations doesn't end in disaster for us today. What gives us the right to set events in motion that will end in disaster for our heirs whether it's 100, 500 or even a 1,000 years in the future. I would support making it a crime to try to proactively contact extraterrestrials and would hope that governments act to prevent it.
Reply With Quote
  #726  
Old 09-14-17, 03:30 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,652
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
^^^ I agree, lotr.

If the aliens are the alpha species of the galaxy and a million years more advanced, I liken it to humans discovering a new species of insects. We might study the new insect-species, but we wouldn't be considered "friendly" to them, nor would we try to understand their language and communicate with them or teach them new technologies. Why would we expect advanced aliens to treat us different?

Again, it's not wise to shout in a jungle.
Reply With Quote
  #727  
Old 09-15-17, 07:30 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
^^^ I agree, lotr.

If the aliens are the alpha species of the galaxy and a million years more advanced, I liken it to humans discovering a new species of insects. We might study the new insect-species, but we wouldn't be considered "friendly" to them, nor would we try to understand their language and communicate with them or teach them new technologies. Why would we expect advanced aliens to treat us different?

Again, it's not wise to shout in a jungle.
I'm convinced BlackHawk that it's the people who believe that alien civilizations exist that are the ones demanding that we NOT try to contact them. As you say, "don't shout in the Jungle". On the other hand those wanting to reach out and shake their hands are either very naive or don't really believe they're out there.
Reply With Quote
  #728  
Old 09-15-17, 07:34 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Meanwhile here's an update about an amazing deep space mission currently underway:

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/0...is-awake-again

NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft is awake — temporarily — for a short burst of activity while on its way to its post-Pluto target in the Kuiper Belt, an object known as 2014 MU69. The spacecraft was put into hibernation mode April 7 to save power on its long journey, which is not yet complete. Now that it’s awake, the mission team will begin performing instrument checks and data collection for the next three months, as well as an additional flight path correction, before the spacecraft is returned to hibernation until it’s ready to encounter MU69 in 2019.


MU69 is a very interesting object at the edge of our solar system.

MU69 orbits the Sun over four billion miles (6.5 billion kilometers) from Earth, and it’s an additional one-billion-mile (1.5 billion km) jaunt past the Pluto system. Although New Horizons is heading for the Kuiper Belt object now, the mission ops team will complete one further course correction December 9, which will lock in the final date and time of New Horizons’ encounter with the mysterious world (or worlds — a recent occultation revealed that MU69 may be two bodies orbiting each other closely).


I still can't get my head around the fact that we are communicating with a probe that is exploring beyond Pluto - amazing stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #729  
Old 09-15-17, 03:16 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Here is NASA Tumblr of the greatest stuff that the Cassini space probe has done. The images are spectacular and worth taking a look at:

https://nasa.tumblr.com/post/1653317...op-discoveries
Reply With Quote
  #730  
Old 09-18-17, 09:26 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
They are calling this the "Goth Planet" and for very good reasons:

http://nypost.com/2017/09/15/astrono...-black-planet/

The researcher team, which was led by researchers from McGill University in Canada and the University of Exeter in the UK, used the Hubble Space Telescope to catch a glimpse of WASP-12b in the hopes of learning more about it. What they soon realized was that the planet is so impossibly dark that it almost completely blends into the darkness of space.

Using the Hubble’s built-in spectrograph, the scientists were able to measure the amount of light the planet reflects, called albedo and found it to be an incredibly low. “The measured albedo of WASP-12b is 0.064 at most. This is an extremely low value, making the planet darker than fresh asphalt! The low albedo shows we still have a lot to learn about WASP-12b and other similar exoplanets.”

Now the task of determining exactly why the planet is so dark begins. Researchers have theorized that the planet’s close proximity to its star could be responsible. WASP-12b is twice the size of Jupiter and is so close to its star that it completes a full rotation in about one Earth day. That short distance means that the planet’s surface could top 2,600 degrees Celsius, which may mean its atmosphere is actually responsible for absorbing so much of the light that hits the planet.
Reply With Quote
  #731  
Old 09-21-17, 11:41 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
An interesting article on some of the analytical tests that will be used to identify any fossilized bacteria that may be found on Mars. Such a discovery will change the way we look at the universe:

https://phys.org/news/2017-09-life-m...-vanadium.html

The search for biology on neighbor planet Mars won't play out like a Hollywood movie starring little green men. Rather, many scientists agree if there was life on the Red Planet, it probably will present itself as fossilized bacteria. To find it, astrobiologists likely will need to decode the chemical analysis of rock samples performed by a rover (like the one NASA plans to send to Mars in 2020). Only then might humankind know conclusively that life exists beyond Earth.

A new paper in the journal Astrobiology suggests NASA and others hunting for proof of Martian biology in the form of "microfossils" could use the element vanadium in combination with Raman spectroscopy on organic material as biosignatures to confirm traces of extraterrestrial life.
Reply With Quote
  #732  
Old 09-22-17, 07:45 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Space debris is a big problem in Earth orbit as we've been treating it like a junk yard. But not to worry, introducing the new orbital Swiffer:

https://www.space.com/38105-ultrathi...pace-junk.html

It's actually a very cool idea and a nice example of out of the box thinking.


Think of the latest idea of collecting space junk as something akin to a hungry tiger pouncing on its prey. Aerospace Corporation says its Brane Craft will wrap itself around debris orbiting Earth and drag it back down through the atmosphere, causing it to burn up and never again threaten satellites or astronauts.

The project recently received a second round of funding from the NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts program, which funds far-out ideas that remain years away from launch — if they get there at all.

The Brane Craft is a yard across, flexible, and less than half the thickness of a human hair. This makes it difficult to protect the spacecraft's electronics from radiation, or even micrometeorites.



Check out the video embedded in the article, it's quite good.
Reply With Quote
  #733  
Old 09-23-17, 12:36 PM
JoshuaRanch JoshuaRanch is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-01-16
Posts: 624
JoshuaRanch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Meanwhile here's an update about an amazing deep space mission currently underway:

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/0...is-awake-again

NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft is awake — temporarily — for a short burst of activity while on its way to its post-Pluto target in the Kuiper Belt, an object known as 2014 MU69. The spacecraft was put into hibernation mode April 7 to save power on its long journey, which is not yet complete. Now that it’s awake, the mission team will begin performing instrument checks and data collection for the next three months, as well as an additional flight path correction, before the spacecraft is returned to hibernation until it’s ready to encounter MU69 in 2019.


MU69 is a very interesting object at the edge of our solar system.

MU69 orbits the Sun over four billion miles (6.5 billion kilometers) from Earth, and it’s an additional one-billion-mile (1.5 billion km) jaunt past the Pluto system. Although New Horizons is heading for the Kuiper Belt object now, the mission ops team will complete one further course correction December 9, which will lock in the final date and time of New Horizons’ encounter with the mysterious world (or worlds — a recent occultation revealed that MU69 may be two bodies orbiting each other closely).


I still can't get my head around the fact that we are communicating with a probe that is exploring beyond Pluto - amazing stuff.
Thanks for the continuous stream of amazing information, much appreciated. As I was reading, you hit on 3 things which caught my highest attention. First, your last sentence/comment above - how in the heck can we send a transmission/communication through space and connect to an object so far away, to be able to turn it on or off. That has always blown my mind, the movement of sound and light, through a transmission device or just wireless. And then being able to capture the sound or light/picture in a readable/audible/visual space. Just amazing.

Second, all of this "bacteria" or "organisms" we are encountering outside of earth or that are earth borne but reacting to non earth conditions. It scares the heck out of me. We can hardly figure out bacteria and disease here on earth, yet we are encountering these changes outside the earth. What if we get to Mars and there is some form of life, whatever it may be, in the ground or in the atmosphere or in liquid form, that our biological systems aren't compatible with? And what if its a delayed incompatibility? And then its brought back to earth. It could wipe us out. I equate it to rats and the spread of bubonic plague, or explorers bringing back or taking with them species unfamiliar with the ecosystems and then creating havoc - carrier pigeons, mina birds, - that type of thing. We need to be careful as we explore space. We have never been able to take the care and responsibility for our own planet.

SETI/METI: Regardless of who and how the message gets out, whoever is going to receive and respond to it will be a far superior species than man - who can destroy us if they want to. We just have to cross our fingers that if that's the case, we hope they are a benevolent group and help us rather than hurt us. That's a big hope.
Reply With Quote
  #734  
Old 09-23-17, 07:22 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
I wasn't going to keep this thread going JR but I noticed that a lot of people were clicking on it to see the latest posts so I figured why not. I love reading about this stuff and it's easy to cut & paste over to Yappi what I would be reading anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #735  
Old 09-23-17, 07:23 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaRanch View Post
SETI/METI: Regardless of who and how the message gets out, whoever is going to receive and respond to it will be a far superior species than man - who can destroy us if they want to. We just have to cross our fingers that if that's the case, we hope they are a benevolent group and help us rather than hurt us. That's a big hope.
It's like Blackhawk always says JR "Don't shout in the jungle"!
Reply With Quote
  #736  
Old 09-24-17, 03:58 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,652
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaRanch View Post
Thanks for the continuous stream of amazing information, much appreciated. As I was reading, you hit on 3 things which caught my highest attention. First, your last sentence/comment above - how in the heck can we send a transmission/communication through space and connect to an object so far away, to be able to turn it on or off. That has always blown my mind, the movement of sound and light, through a transmission device or just wireless. And then being able to capture the sound or light/picture in a readable/audible/visual space. Just amazing.

Second, all of this "bacteria" or "organisms" we are encountering outside of earth or that are earth borne but reacting to non earth conditions. It scares the heck out of me. We can hardly figure out bacteria and disease here on earth, yet we are encountering these changes outside the earth. What if we get to Mars and there is some form of life, whatever it may be, in the ground or in the atmosphere or in liquid form, that our biological systems aren't compatible with? And what if its a delayed incompatibility? And then its brought back to earth. It could wipe us out. I equate it to rats and the spread of bubonic plague, or explorers bringing back or taking with them species unfamiliar with the ecosystems and then creating havoc - carrier pigeons, mina birds, - that type of thing. We need to be careful as we explore space. We have never been able to take the care and responsibility for our own planet.

SETI/METI: Regardless of who and how the message gets out, whoever is going to receive and respond to it will be a far superior species than man - who can destroy us if they want to. We just have to cross our fingers that if that's the case, we hope they are a benevolent group and help us rather than hurt us. That's a big hope.
I was thinking the same thing watching NatGeo's "America Before Columbus" last night. Between 50-90% of the native American population was wiped out due to smallpox brought here by the Europeans. Native Americans had no immunity system to fight the pox and it rapidly decimated the population. In exchange, the Americas sent Europe their own nasty gift: syphilis.

What happens when we get some even more deadly Martian or ET pathogen?

lotr: I enjoy this thread and read everything in it, but may not post itt often. Lots of clicks means that other yappsters feel the same. It's one of my favorite threads. Keep cutting and pasting!
Reply With Quote
  #737  
Old 09-24-17, 08:48 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
I was thinking the same thing watching NatGeo's "America Before Columbus" last night. Between 50-90% of the native American population was wiped out due to smallpox brought here by the Europeans. Native Americans had no immunity system to fight the pox and it rapidly decimated the population. In exchange, the Americas sent Europe their own nasty gift: syphilis.

What happens when we get some even more deadly Martian or ET pathogen?

lotr: I enjoy this thread and read everything in it, but may not post itt often. Lots of clicks means that other yappsters feel the same. It's one of my favorite threads. Keep cutting and pasting!
Thanks Blawkhawk! I'll keep the stuff coming as it's a welcome break from the constant arguing about politics on the Debate Board!
Reply With Quote
  #738  
Old 09-25-17, 08:26 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Now here's a weird discovery in the asteroid belt:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0920144724.htm


With the help of the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope, a German-led group of astronomers have observed the intriguing characteristics of an unusual type of object in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter: two asteroids orbiting each other and exhibiting comet-like features, including a bright coma and a long tail. This is the first known binary asteroid also classified as a comet. The research is presented in a paper published in the journal Nature today.


Water, water everywhere! The lesson learned is that finding water in the solar system will not be a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #739  
Old 09-25-17, 08:30 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
And while we're on the topic of the ubiquitous nature of water in the solar system along comes this discovery:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0919123129.htm


The scorching hot surface of Mercury seems like an unlikely place to find ice, but research over the past three decades has suggested that water is frozen on the first rock from the sun, hidden away on crater floors that are permanently shadowed from the sun's blistering rays. Now, a new study led by Brown University researchers suggests that there could be much more ice on Mercury's surface than previously thought.


Where there is water life can be supported. Someday every nook and cranny of the solar system will have human colonies and that includes Mercury.
Reply With Quote
  #740  
Old 09-26-17, 04:06 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
For your viewing pleasure here's a great shot of Jupiter as the probe June flows over it:

https://phys.org/news/2017-09-image-...g-jupiter.html
Reply With Quote
  #741  
Old 09-26-17, 04:07 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Wow the eclipse was bigger then the Super Bowl with almost twice as many people watching it live or via various electronic devises then watch an average Super Bowl:

https://phys.org/news/2017-09-americ...r-eclipse.html
Reply With Quote
  #742  
Old 09-27-17, 08:26 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
This is both cool & creepy as it looks like Pluto has thousands of skyscraper sized columns of frozen methane sticking up out of the surface of the planet like knives pointing skyward:

https://www.space.com/38281-pluto-gi...explained.html

Make sure you check out the video embedded in the article as it offers a cool visual of this phenomena.
Reply With Quote
  #743  
Old 09-29-17, 07:28 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
I love the way Elon Musk thinks BIG when it comes to space exploration and exploitation:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/s...musk-mars.html

Cities on the Moon & Mars, what's not to like!

Check out the images and video in the article they're quite good.
Reply With Quote
  #744  
Old 09-29-17, 07:31 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Wow, this is big news in the field of astrophysics! They have detected gravity waves emanating from the collision of two black holes in another galaxy by measuring the resulting distortion in the fabric of space time (I sound like a science officer in Star Trek here):

http://www.sciencealert.com/new-ligo...news-sept-2017

It also marks the first time that scientists have been able to measure the polarisation of the gravitational waves, or the way they distort spacetime in three dimensions.

"As we increase the number of observatories in the international gravitational wave network, we not only improve the source location, but we also recover improved polarisation information that provides better information on the orientation of the orbiting objects as well as enabling new tests of Einstein's theory," said Fred Raab of LIGO.



cool & mind blowing stuff!
Reply With Quote
  #745  
Old 09-29-17, 05:53 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,652
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I love the way Elon Musk thinks BIG when it comes to space exploration and exploitation:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/s...musk-mars.html

Cities on the Moon & Mars, what's not to like!

Check out the images and video in the article they're quite good.
Musk's proposed Mars rocket is tentatively called the BFR.

As the article explained, the "B" stands for "Big" and the "R" stands for "Rocket".

No explanation on what the "F" might stand for!


Pretty cool stuff. Musk is a big thinker. Science fiction is getting closer to reality.
Reply With Quote
  #746  
Old 09-30-17, 04:44 PM
JoshuaRanch JoshuaRanch is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-01-16
Posts: 624
JoshuaRanch is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
I was thinking the same thing watching NatGeo's "America Before Columbus" last night. Between 50-90% of the native American population was wiped out due to smallpox brought here by the Europeans. Native Americans had no immunity system to fight the pox and it rapidly decimated the population. In exchange, the Americas sent Europe their own nasty gift: syphilis.

What happens when we get some even more deadly Martian or ET pathogen?

lotr: I enjoy this thread and read everything in it, but may not post itt often. Lots of clicks means that other yappsters feel the same. It's one of my favorite threads. Keep cutting and pasting!
But BH, only 3 of us are in the conversations, I wonder why
Reply With Quote
  #747  
Old 09-30-17, 04:55 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 46,083
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
I was thinking the same thing watching NatGeo's "America Before Columbus" last night. Between 50-90% of the native American population was wiped out due to smallpox brought here by the Europeans. Native Americans had no immunity system to fight the pox and it rapidly decimated the population. In exchange, the Americas sent Europe their own nasty gift: syphilis.

What happens when we get some even more deadly Martian or ET pathogen?

lotr: I enjoy this thread and read everything in it, but may not post itt often. Lots of clicks means that other yappsters feel the same. It's one of my favorite threads. Keep cutting and pasting!
I always wondered why we never heard of an American Indian disease that Europeans were immune to. It only makes sense that immunity from diseases would work both ways. The biggest difference was that the Indians were hit with these diseases where they lived and it was easily transmittable.

I'm also wondering about the chance of life being wiped out by something that we bring (or get hit by) from space or another planet.
Reply With Quote
  #748  
Old 09-30-17, 04:55 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
Musk's proposed Mars rocket is tentatively called the BFR.

As the article explained, the "B" stands for "Big" and the "R" stands for "Rocket".

No explanation on what the "F" might stand for!


Pretty cool stuff. Musk is a big thinker. Science fiction is getting closer to reality.
It obviously stands for either Big "Fracking" Rocket or Big "Freaking" Rocket!
Reply With Quote
  #749  
Old 10-02-17, 02:16 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 46,083
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Evidence suggests life on Earth started after meteorites splashed into warm little ponds

Quote:
Life on Earth began somewhere between 3.7 and 4.5 billion years ago, after meteorites splashed down and leached essential elements into warm little ponds, say scientists at McMaster University and the Max Planck Institute in Germany. Their calculations suggest that wet and dry cycles bonded basic molecular building blocks in the ponds' nutrient-rich broth into self-replicating RNA molecules that constituted the first genetic code for life on the planet.

The researchers base their conclusion on exhaustive research and calculations drawing in aspects of astrophysics, geology, chemistry, biology and other disciplines. Though the "warm little ponds" concept has been around since Darwin, the researchers have now proven its plausibility through numerous evidence-based calculations.

Lead authors Ben K.D. Pearce and Ralph Pudritz, both of the McMaster's Origins Institute and its Department of Physics and Astronomy, say available evidence suggests that life began when the Earth was still taking shape, with continents emerging from the oceans, meteorites pelting the planet - including those bearing the building blocks of life - and no protective ozone to filter the Sun's ultraviolet rays.
Read more:
https://phys.org/news/2017-10-eviden...ashed.html#jCp
Reply With Quote
  #750  
Old 10-02-17, 04:45 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,456
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I always wondered why we never heard of an American Indian disease that Europeans were immune to. It only makes sense that immunity from diseases would work both ways. The biggest difference was that the Indians were hit with these diseases where they lived and it was easily transmittable.

I'm also wondering about the chance of life being wiped out by something that we bring (or get hit by) from space or another planet.
I think Native Americans were more vulnerable due to their isolation from the rest of humanity. The Europeans were constantly hit by plagues originating in Africa & Asia so had built up a bit of an immunity.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Friday, Jan 9, 2015 NUWAY Great Lakes Individual Championships OHIOWAY Wrestling 2 12-08-14 01:30 PM
Another great camp by OHWAY featuring Cameron Doggett/Riley Shaw IN WCH. weavedog87 Wrestling 12 08-08-14 08:50 AM
The Great Green Wall of Africa Yappi General Board 1 07-17-14 10:21 PM
Great Camp opportunity, great clinicians! Ryle Wrestling Camp (Northern Kentucky) wrestlingnut Wrestling 1 07-03-14 05:16 AM
Researchers Search for ‘Mystery Sea Monster’ That Devoured Great White Shark Yappi General Board 31 06-15-14 07:08 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz