Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-20-17, 06:42 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Giants pick up Panda; Red Sox on hook for rest of his $50m contract less league minimum that the Giants pay. No surprise to anyone but Indiandad.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...-sandoval.html

Quote:
Sandoval, now thirty years of age, was a popular and productive player for seven seasons with the Giants. Over his 3,533 plate appearances, Sandoval slashed a robust .294/.346/.465 and compiled about twenty wins above replacement. That performance earned him a five-year, $95MM contract with the Red Sox, who’ll pay the vast majority of the nearly $50MM remaining (less any prorated portion of the league minimum for time Sandoval spends in the majors from now through 2019).
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-17, 06:45 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
I bet you're the type who signs contracts without reading it first. Lol
I bet your the type who reads them 3-4x before signing, but still gets taken because he has no clue what the language actually means. Lol.
Old 07-20-17, 06:59 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
This has been an entertaining read
Old 07-20-17, 08:58 AM
All American

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
There is something wrong with a system where a team that makes so much money, they can cut a guy and pay him $50 million NOT to play for them, then get paid by his new team.
How silly does the Red Sox look?
Old 07-20-17, 09:02 AM
All American

What a fun win last night. I'll tell you guys what, and I know some of you will clown me, but to see these guys pile out of the dugout and jump on Duvall after the game winning hit is so cool. It's just a game guys. These guys get paid a ton of money to play a game, but they are just kids at heart. Bronson Arroyo (not active) and Scooter Gennett (replaced in the game) were two of the first to him.
We complain about this teams lack of overall success, but I really like the personalities the franchise has now. Really don't have any knuckleheads or bad apples on the team.

Who would have thought we had a chance with the Adelman/ Grienke matchup last night? That's baseball...
Old 07-20-17, 09:16 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
There is something wrong with a system where a team that makes so much money, they can cut a guy and pay him $50 million NOT to play for them, then get paid by his new team.
He doesn't get anything in addition to the $50m.
Old 07-20-17, 09:20 AM
All American

Quote:
How does that make the Red Sox look silly?
Old 07-20-17, 09:21 AM
All American

Quote:
What a fun win last night. I'll tell you guys what, and I know some of you will clown me, but to see these guys pile out of the dugout and jump on Duvall after the game winning hit is so cool. It's just a game guys. These guys get paid a ton of money to play a game, but they are just kids at heart. Bronson Arroyo (not active) and Scooter Gennett (replaced in the game) were two of the first to him.
We complain about this teams lack of overall success, but I really like the personalities the franchise has now. Really don't have any knuckleheads or bad apples on the team.
You're the one who said this team isn't having fun. Everyone else, other than IndianDad, has proclaimed they are happy the team is just having fun.
Old 07-20-17, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
They lost 5 in a row coming out of the All-Star break, I'd hope they're excited for a win. Everyone always celebrates a walk-off win though, not sure why it is so surprising. I did just watch the play though and the first two out there Suraez and Barnhart, not Arroyo or Gennet. :shrugh:

3-hit night for Zack, needs to keep it up until end of the month.
Old 07-20-17, 09:51 AM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
You're certain that there wasn't a clause, that hours ago you didn't even know existed, In a contract you have never seen.

MLB owners were able to negotiate that clause onto page 93 of a 311 page agreement that the players signed off on. A clause that you and everyone else on here didn't know existed. Why would a team willingly remove that clause from a long term contract? You're assuming they would willingly remove the only real chance they have of getting out of mega contracts.

There is a good chance his agent didn't know it was in there. After all I told you dolts where it was and even after claiming to have read article XIX you geniuses still didn't know it was there. I had to type it verbatim for you before you knew what it was. What makes you think a professional athlete who has an ego the size of Texas and believes he is worth every penny of a mega deal is a) going to know it is in there b) will refuse to sign a mega deal because of it, thinking it will never happen to them because they are Afterall worth that money c) an agent may not push to have it removed because he wants to see his client get paid so he can get his commission.

If you were Reds management/ownership would you have removed that clause for Phillips?
Yes, I am sure it is there because any player worth any kind of value would a complete idiot not to negotiate it.

It is laughable that you don't think that MLB agents know these contracts backwards and forwards. It's even more laughable that you think Phillips did not consult with his agent prior to signing a contract.

I absolutely think management removed that clause because at the time of the contract, Phillips was the every day second baseman and the Reds had no MLB ready replacement and Phillips was younger and still productive. So from Phillips perspective the team waives the clause or he walks. Pretty simple to understand.
Old 07-20-17, 10:15 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Yankees trade for Frazier, not Suarez. No surprise to anyone but Indiandad.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...e-yankees.html
The real question is, did the White Sox get another Noah Snydergaard?
Old 07-20-17, 10:36 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
Yes, I am sure it is there because any player worth any kind of value would a complete idiot not to negotiate it.

It is laughable that you don't think that MLB agents know these contracts backwards and forwards. It's even more laughable that you think Phillips did not consult with his agent prior to signing a contract.

I absolutely think management removed that clause because at the time of the contract, Phillips was the every day second baseman and the Reds had no MLB ready replacement and Phillips was younger and still productive. So from Phillips perspective the team waives the clause or he walks. Pretty simple to understand.
The Reds would have no leverage not to guarantee Phillips the money through special covenant payment schedule. They'd never sign another notable player to a long term deal. It's just stupid speculation by a really dumb poster, who won't admit he has no idea what he's talking about. And if the Reds somehow (and there is zero percent chance of this) held firm and could have voided Phillips contract, why wouldn't they have exercised that right?
Old 07-20-17, 02:16 PM
All World

They forgot to consult with Indianadad. He knows major league contracts better than agents and experienced ownership/management.
Old 07-21-17, 10:52 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
They lost 5 in a row coming out of the All-Star break, I'd hope they're excited for a win. Everyone always celebrates a walk-off win though, not sure why it is so surprising. I did just watch the play though and the first two out there Suraez and Barnhart, not Arroyo or Gennet. :shrugh:

3-hit night for Zack, needs to keep it up until end of the month.
Very interesting last few weeks of the month for Cozart. It does not appear there a whole lot of interest for him, even though two teams, Nats and Astros, had recent injuries to their starting shortstops.

Here is what I understand with Cozart moving forward. He'll be a free agent next season. The Reds can offer a qualifying offer - which is the average of the other shortstops - approximately $18 mill for next season - one season only. He could then decline that and go on the open market...

So what do you think? Could you pay Cozart $18 for one season, or would you consider signing him long term for say 3 years, $50 mill or something like that.

My opinion is neither. We all like Cozart and appreciate what he's done, but I can't fathom any major league team signing him to that kind of money. Yes, he's hit really well the last season and a half, but there's still the Cozart I remember from 3 years back and beyond. The .230 hitting Cozart. Now if nothing happens in the next few days, and it may not. He may just ride out the end of the season with the team and let the chips fall.
Old 07-21-17, 11:08 AM
Fake coolin' off

i wouldn't sign him.
Old 07-21-17, 11:10 AM
All Region

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
If the Reds can pay Cozart $18 for one season, as you suggest, I'm on board with that. Thats like 11 cents per game.
Old 07-21-17, 11:14 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
If the Reds can pay Cozart $18 for one season, as you suggest, I'm on board with that. Thats like 11 cents per game.
Seriously...are you kidding me??? But hey, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. There is no way in the world I would pay Zack that much. He's making about $5 this season. Now I may consider a two year at $18 mill total, or possilby 3 years at $25.

My opinion is for '18, you'll see Peraza at short, Gennett at 2nd. Possibly Herrera and Gennett as that utility guy.
Old 07-21-17, 11:16 AM
All Region

My monthly check-in on standings. Not playing well since the ASG obviously.
40-55 extrapolates to 68-94. Trading a couple of pieces like Storen or Cozart might cost another game or two.

Those of us that had them winning in the mid-60's this year look to be correct. But the sad news is that we are no nearer to having an answer about the Reds starting rotation next year...
Old 07-21-17, 11:18 AM
All Region

Quote:
Seriously...are you kidding me??? But hey, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. There is no way in the world I would pay Zack that much. He's making about $5 this season. Now I may consider a two year at $18 mill total, or possilby 3 years at $25.

My opinion is for '18, you'll see Peraza at short, Gennett at 2nd. Possibly Herrera and Gennett as that utility guy.
You literally cannot read or understand humor.

You are the one that typed $18 for the season, not $18 Million. I made a joke out of it. 11 cents per game.

Oh never mind, its not funny when I have to explain it to nitwits.
Old 07-21-17, 11:19 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:

Are you riding on a short bus right now?
Old 07-21-17, 02:43 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
That joke went about 40,000 feet over 14Red's head.
Old 07-21-17, 03:01 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
You literally cannot read or understand humor.

You are the one that typed $18 for the season, not $18 Million. I made a joke out of it. 11 cents per game.

Oh never mind, its not funny when I have to explain it to nitwits.
Whoops, my bad...
Old 07-21-17, 03:29 PM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
The real question is, did the White Sox get another Noah Snydergaard?
They've already got the Kopech kid in the Sale trade.
Old 07-22-17, 10:28 PM
All American

Reds have got two pretty decent starts vs. the Marlins, these losses are on the offense. Very tough luck tonight, hitting into 3 DP's.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: