Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-10-18, 09:53 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Taft forfeits tourney game to Clinton Massie

The SW district bracket says the game was a forfeit but shows a final score of 2-0. Anyone know what happened?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-18, 10:27 AM
Junior Varsity

kyles_mom is on a distinguished road
http://www.wnewsj.com/sports/local-s...-fails-to-show

Last edited by kyles_mom; 05-10-18 at 01:38 PM. Reason: removed comment. evidence does not support it.
Old 05-10-18, 11:00 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles_mom View Post
http://www.wnewsj.com/sports/local-s...-fails-to-show

Not altogether uncommon when a city school has to travel way out to the country.
How many city teams have you seen forfeit in the state tourney over distance?
Old 05-10-18, 11:57 AM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Shame on Taft. They should be penalized by the SWDAB/OHSAA for this.

I’m not usually one to get ‘on’ the case of urban schools, but this is absolutely inappropriate. Unless the SWDAB is different, you are afforded the opportunity to withdraw from the tournament by a certain date. It would have been of no detriment to either Clinton-Massie, nor the rest of the Southwest District, if they would’ve withdrawn from the tournament prior to the deadline. Instead, kids are d*cked out of a game because a school was being negligent and irresponsible.
Old 05-10-18, 12:07 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure the process to forfeit once the bracket is out without having to redraw the entire thing. I hope the Taft coaching staff at least gave C-M a heads up so they could at least make parents aware. I believe C-M still would've had to show up in order for the umpire to rule them winner.

And cool down Dock, you don't know every teams situation or the battles they fight with their AD/admin. I doubt C-M was entirely upset with saving their pitchers.
Old 05-10-18, 12:49 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Ban the Entire Program (All Sports) from Post Season play for next school yr! Give the Admin and AD some time to think about some things!
Old 05-10-18, 01:12 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
Why city teams continue to play baseball is beyond me.
Old 05-10-18, 01:13 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
I'm not sure the process to forfeit once the bracket is out without having to redraw the entire thing. I hope the Taft coaching staff at least gave C-M a heads up so they could at least make parents aware. I believe C-M still would've had to show up in order for the umpire to rule them winner.

And cool down Dock, you don't know every teams situation or the battles they fight with their AD/admin. I doubt C-M was entirely upset with saving their pitchers.
You’re assuming that C-M was going to use a top ace against Taft. Unless Taft is good at baseball???
Old 05-10-18, 02:16 PM
All American

I don't believe they would've been much competition. I don't know the situation with Taft but I've dealt with other City schools and there's a great disconnect at times between their coaches and the AD/admin.

I don't believe punishing the whole athletic program is the answer, nor is dismantling their baseball programs. Pick any sport and I bet you find at least one, if not more, that the only reason they're staying in school and off the streets is because of that sport and caring coaches. Until you've seen what they come from you may not be able to understand.
Old 05-10-18, 02:35 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't believe they would've been much competition. I don't know the situation with Taft but I've dealt with other City schools and there's a great disconnect at times between their coaches and the AD/admin.

I don't believe punishing the whole athletic program is the answer, nor is dismantling their baseball programs. Pick any sport and I bet you find at least one, if not more, that the only reason they're staying in school and off the streets is because of that sport and caring coaches. Until you've seen what they come from you may not be able to understand.
brianwr112,
Nice job. You are truly the most thoughtful poster on this thread.
Old 05-10-18, 03:10 PM
All American

Quote:

I don’t really disagree with your last paragraph (trust me, I get it.)

But, at the same time, the idea behind punishment is to be a deterrent to other schools and from keeping this from happening again. Otherwise, what’s the point of an obligation and being able to rinse your hands of the obligation if you get off scot-free?
Old 05-10-18, 07:56 PM
All American

But do we actually know the circumstances? Can you forfeit after brackets are drawn? Did they notify C-M beforehand that they wouldn't be showing up?

I guess I don't really see a problem if they told C-M beforehand so C-M could make arraignments to allow fans to know prior to showing up for the scheduled game. Then you practice beforehand. Switch up uniforms when the umps get there and then everyone goes on their marry ways. I believe the state pays for the umpires for tournament games so there might also be an issue with forfeiting based on the ump expecting to get paid. I still think it's ok if C-M was notified prior. I don't know that's the case though.
Old 05-10-18, 08:49 PM
Varsity

hammer89 is on a distinguished road
The state just recently really upped the penalties for failing to show for a tournament game. From OHSAA regs-

“Schools that fail to participate in a tournament (individual or team) after indicating that they will enter a tournament may be ineligible to participate in that particular sport’s OHSAA- sponsored tournament the following year. Additional penalties may include: 1.) a fine of $150 issued by the Commissioner’s Office; 2.) payment of officials’ fees for the missed contests; 3.) payment of the opponent’s travel expenses for the missed contests, and 4.) additional penalties as deemed appropriate by the Commissioner in collaboration with the respective District Athletic Board as appropriate. See General Sports Regulation 16.4 for additional information on “Failure to Appear.” The penalties rendered by the Commissioner’s Office may be appealed to the Board of Directors.”
Old 05-10-18, 09:22 PM
All American

This is my honest guess at what will happen. They'll be held out of next years tournament. And really the AD shouldn't have ever entered them to begin with. Per their schedule they played 17 games this year. Without one time leaving the City limits. They might not have ever actually even taken a school sponsored bus to a game. I wouldn't doubt if a portion of their roster (and nearly all their parents) just thought their season was over on 5/2 when their last scheduled game was.

Out of however many schools are represented in the Cincinnati/Dayton District in the four divisions, there were only TWO that didn't enter their record. Meadowdale of Dayton and Taft. Perhaps maybe the tournament director should try to make a few calls to reach those schools.

Or maybe in order to enter the OHSAA should make every team enter a record. There were several that were 0-?...
Old 05-11-18, 12:28 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
First the mess at Dunbar and now this. Just because kids are in the cities doesn't mean they don't have the right to have competent people working in their athletic programs. You don't "just not show up"...that's ridiculous. The AD and the Coach should be suspended, but I don't agree with making the team miss the postseason next year....last time I checked, players don't drive the bus to games. I don't care how bad you are, if the kids put in the work to participate in a sport, they deserve to play their tourney game.
Old 05-11-18, 12:38 PM
All American

I'm not sure I'd throw the coach in with the AD. In many cases the "coach" is simply someone who's been talked into a chaperone position with some basic sports knowledge but no idea what the additional requirements are and never get relayed to them.

I'm not sure who the AD at Taft is but from my experience the position normally goes to someone with connections to their "big time" program. At Taft I'd assume basketball? Past that sport they care very little about the other programs. Hand the program over to a coach and hope there's no problems. Not fair to the kids, but it's come to be what they should expect.
Old 05-11-18, 12:43 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
The athletic director at Taft is Romell Salone. saloner@cps-k12.org