Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-09-18, 11:13 AM
All Ohio

southpaw69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiofootballphan View Post
ESPN is saying that LSU and UC have recieved permission to start discussions with him. Also, they said Texas has two highly rated QB's, so he'd be going in to a 3 way battle there so I don't think that the best fit for him, considering they all would be ahead of him in the playbook.
Why does he need permission if he has graduated? He should be free to visit and talk to whomever he wants IMO. I don't know what the wonderful controlling NCAA regs are tho.
Old 05-09-18, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
He has scheduled a visit to UC on Thursday and a visit to LSU Saturday. Wants to make a quick decision. It sounded like those are likely the final 2.
Old 05-09-18, 02:01 PM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw69 View Post
Why does he need permission if he has graduated? He should be free to visit and talk to whomever he wants IMO. I don't know what the wonderful controlling NCAA regs are tho.
I believe he can go to any school and play football he wants but if he is to receive an athletic scholarship OSU needs to grant his release. Which IMO will keep his from Nebraska.
Old 05-09-18, 02:18 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I was really hoping that he would win the OSU QB spot but the odds were stacked against him. Good luck to him wherever he goes.
Old 05-09-18, 02:38 PM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
Here’s my prediction— he will play, be drafted and prove to be a better QB than Haskins n the pros. By all the evidence , he outplayed Haskins in the spring and because Urban wouldn’t name him the starter, he is gone. This may well come back to bite OSU in future recruits. Wish him well. He will be a stand out player at his next college.
Old 05-09-18, 03:04 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
Hereís my predictionó he will play, be drafted and prove to be a better QB than Haskins n the pros. By all the evidence , he outplayed Haskins in the spring and because Urban wouldnít name him the starter, he is gone. This may well come back to bite OSU in future recruits. Wish him well. He will be a stand out player at his next college.
**Based off a spring game where not all of the starters on both sides of the ball played. You have no idea what happened in practices.
Old 05-09-18, 03:10 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hereís my predictionó he will play, be drafted and prove to be a better QB than Haskins n the pros. By all the evidence , he outplayed Haskins in the spring and because Urban wouldnít name him the starter, he is gone. This may well come back to bite OSU in future recruits. Wish him well. He will be a stand out player at his next college.
I usually agree with you, but the bolded I disagree with. Itís not going to hurt OSU with future recruits. He wasnít afforded nor entitled the starting gig, and he knew what he was walking into when he committed.
Old 05-09-18, 06:33 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
Said in 2015 that tOSU wasn't a good choice for him.
You weren't the only one. There were many others on here who felt the same.
Old 05-09-18, 07:41 PM
All American

I stand by my prediction. The proof will come in the pros. The comment about recruiting says “ may”. Good players in Ohio MAY have other ideas seeing how this was handled. OSU now is more into national recruiting and based on how Ohio kids are handled May well lead to future problems since OSU football is a giant fishbowl in this state.

Most comments I heard of ndicates he outplayed Haskins in practices as well. There will b questions about this. Spotlight.

JMHO.
Old 05-09-18, 11:15 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
I believe he can go to any school and play football he wants but if he is to receive an athletic scholarship OSU needs to grant his release. Which IMO will keep his from Nebraska.
This is nowhere close to being true. The rule is that as long as OSU is paying for his education, until graduation, schools must get permission to speak to him. Wants he graduates he could go on an entire B1G Ten tour. Commit and decommit to every single one. Once he signs the LOI it then becomes official. The only thing is he must enroll in a Masters program not offered at OSU
Old 05-10-18, 12:41 AM
All District

Bull_Elk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
This is nowhere close to being true. The rule is that as long as OSU is paying for his education, until graduation, schools must get permission to speak to him. Wants he graduates he could go on an entire B1G Ten tour. Commit and decommit to every single one. Once he signs the LOI it then becomes official. The only thing is he must enroll in a Masters program not offered at OSU
My understanding is the NCAA got rid of the requirement that the graduating transfer athlete need to enroll in a program not offered by the original school. I thought that was one of the reasons that the number of graduate transfers has shot up.
Old 05-10-18, 07:39 AM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I stand by my prediction. The proof will come in the pros. The comment about recruiting says ď mayĒ. Good players in Ohio MAY have other ideas seeing how this was handled. OSU now is more into national recruiting and based on how Ohio kids are handled May well lead to future problems since OSU football is a giant fishbowl in this state.

Most comments I heard of ndicates he outplayed Haskins in practices as well. There will b questions about this. Spotlight.

JMHO.
Not entirely sure what you mean by the bolded. They arenít anymore special than the kids from TX, FL etc. Everyone that signs the LOI knows what theyíre getting into, if itís Ohio State. If youíre not a strong enough dawg, the most complete dawg and ultimately the best dawg at your position: youíre not getting that starting role. And, not every Ohio kid that tOSU doesnít get is a loss (see: Jackson Carman, who is going to be locker room cancer at Clemson.)

I know two kids from Lancaster, this decade, (Luke Roberts and Kyle Trout) that came to tOSU for football. Neither of them made the cut, and ultimately transferred. Ohio State has always gotten guys out-of-state, and I think itís overstated how much the brand really means to a lot of Ohio kids. Not everyone is a tOSU fan, and not everyone is going to challenge themselves and sign with tOSU.
Old 05-10-18, 07:48 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk View Post
My understanding is the NCAA got rid of the requirement that the graduating transfer athlete need to enroll in a program not offered by the original school. I thought that was one of the reasons that the number of graduate transfers has shot up.
I'm pretty sure you are right. Honestly, there probably aren't too many Masters degrees that OSU and a lot of these other gigantic university DON'T offer! That was a ridiculous rule to begin with.
Old 05-10-18, 09:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
I'm pretty sure you are right. Honestly, there probably aren't too many Masters degrees that OSU and a lot of these other gigantic university DON'T offer! That was a ridiculous rule to begin with.
Now that you mention it I believe you're correct. It was based mainly on guys getting a masters in something that wouldn't benefit them at all (find some small masters program a school offers that your prior one doesn't). Did they ever change the rule allowing said transfer college to only pay one year of grad school though? Seems like if it's really for the kids you'd pay for both even if the athlete didn't have eligibility left.
Old 05-10-18, 09:09 PM
All American

Dock - understand this, most observers believe he outplayed Haskins in practice. I wasn’t there but others were who didn’t hide what they saw. In the Spring game , he outplayed Haskins and had killer stats, no question. People watched this. He was a Mr. Football. Competition is fine as long as it’s fair. With good players in this state and OSU football a giant football fishbowl, both parents and players may think long and hard about committing to OSU. There are lots of other good opportunities out there with a fairer evaluation and outcome. It is what it is.
Old 05-10-18, 09:37 PM
All American

Quote:
Dock - understand this, most observers believe he outplayed Haskins in practice. I wasnít there but others were who didnít hide what they saw. In the Spring game , he outplayed Haskins and had killer stats, no question. People watched this. He was a Mr. Football. Competition is fine as long as itís fair. With good players in this state and OSU football a giant football fishbowl, both parents and players may think long and hard about committing to OSU. There are lots of other good opportunities out there with a fairer evaluation and outcome. It is what it is.
I'm not even an OSU fan but you're crazy if you think Burrows situation will have a lasting impact on their recruiting the state. 1) They don't recruit the state like they used to. You may get some looks and even a late offer if they don't land top recruits from outside the state. But just because you're Mr Ohio doesn't guarantee an offer like it used to. 2) Most kids in Ohio grow up dreaming about playing for the Bucks. If they offer, kids often become blind when looking at others at their position. 3) Every family member and friend wants you to go to OSU so they can go to every game. Well until they realize you only get 4 free tickets a game and man they don't even let you play during that redshirt year. But if they did, National Champs!

Someone needs to sit these kids down (High School Coach THIS IS YOU) and go over returning roster, those being recruited the same position in your class and and known recruits in the following class. Coaches are going to, and should be trying to recruit over you for the next year. I'm not sure why people don't understand this.
Old 05-11-18, 06:55 AM
All Region

ferflog is on a distinguished road
I said when I saw him as a senior in high school that he would never play at Ohio State. I wish him the best, but he should have stayed home at OU. He would have been a star in the MAC.
Old 05-11-18, 07:00 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dock - understand this, most observers believe he outplayed Haskins in practice. I wasnít there but others were who didnít hide what they saw. In the Spring game , he outplayed Haskins and had killer stats, no question. People watched this. He was a Mr. Football. Competition is fine as long as itís fair. With good players in this state and OSU football a giant football fishbowl, both parents and players may think long and hard about committing to OSU. There are lots of other good opportunities out there with a fairer evaluation and outcome. It is what it is.
I have never seen either one of them practice, but I saw one of them out play JT up in Michigan stadium, when the game was on the line. That's tough to beat.
Old 05-11-18, 07:12 AM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferflog View Post
I said when I saw him as a senior in high school that he would never play at Ohio State. I wish him the best, but he should have stayed home at OU. He would have been a star in the MAC.
he was the backup to JT before he injured his hand, and Haskins took advantage of the situation.
Old 05-11-18, 07:17 AM
All World

Quote:
best players play, the OFF LIneman Munford from Massilon was a three star recruit and he has passed several older and 4 and 5 star players to be in position to start this fall. Burrows was the backup to JT before he hurt his hand....Haskins took advantage....many players have lost their position because of injuries, and other players taking advantage of the situation.
Old 05-11-18, 07:19 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Provide evidence. Everything I've read is they were neck and neck in practices.
Old 05-11-18, 07:30 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
lotta experts on this topic
Old 05-11-18, 02:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Old 05-11-18, 03:19 PM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Exactly. But I'm sure this dude will claim he has insider knowledge.
Old 05-11-18, 03:48 PM
All Region

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So, what is Urban's motivation for discrimination against Ohio kids or Burrow in particular?
Old 05-11-18, 05:28 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
The way the top college programs stay on top is that they go 2-3 deep at every position with seemingly 4-5 star caliber athletes. Alabama has a QB who was in the Heisman hunt last year and was benched in the title game. He has appeared to have lost his spot and will likely have to change positions if he is to stay on the field with the Tide! Burrow was Mr. Football, but they bring in Haskins and Tate Martell. If Urban had named Burrow as the starter, then it may be Haskins looking to transfer. Next, if Haskins proves to be the real deal, I'd expect Martell to consider transferring. And you know that Meyer will bring in couple more top-flight QB's every year. It's the nature of the beast. Burrow has a TON of talent, but nothing was promised to him. He had lousy timing when it came to injuries taking away his opportunity to prove himself in game situations. But you have to give a tip of the hat to Haskins for stepping up when he was given the chance. I think Burrow would have excelled at OSU if he had been given the opportunity. But Haskins impressed when given the chance, and, to me, he fits better into Urban's playbook than Burrow does. So I can't blame the coach. It just didn't work out for Burrow at OSU the way he had hoped. I wish the young man a lot of success wherever he goes. And if given the opportunity, he will have a LOT of success.
Old 05-11-18, 09:17 PM
All Ohio

Tardis is on a distinguished road
This won't hurt recruiting to Ohio State or any other school in a similar situation in any detrimental way. One of the articles talking about Burrows transfer pointing out that nearly 50% of 4 Star + QBs transfer to another school at some point. Whether its a system, someone already there, or an incoming underclassmen, ultimately QB is the most limited, recruited position in terms of playing time. Its also the most important position on any football team and the competition for the number of limited opportunities means most schools are constantly trying to find the best talent available regardless of where the kid started.
Old 05-11-18, 11:09 PM
All World

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferflog View Post
I said when I saw him as a senior in high school that he would never play at Ohio State.
Cool. You and fish can split a cookie.
Old 05-12-18, 07:50 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Irish60 hits nail on head. When you have bunch of 4-5 star QB's and only get to pick one, the other 3 may (or not) question their decision.

I am a huge Massillon fan but fate had Troy Smith beating out Justin Zwick. In 02 the least heralded won OSU a national championship. Couple years ago it took all 3 to win one. (and all 3 signed NFL contracts).

Now you have Haskins, Martell, and Burrow (and 2 others waiting in the wings). None came to sit on the bench and none were recruited to.

Does make you wonder how many highly recruited QB's who sat in college could have been millionaires - if not for their choice, timing, injury etc. That's heavy.
Old 05-12-18, 09:41 AM
All Region

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Burrow was the JT backup and was replaced by a redshirt freshman when he broke his hand and when he became healthy he never won the job back from the redshirt freshman.