Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-08-18, 09:22 AM
Varsity

outsiderlookingin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Read on another site that it's been announced that he's done. I don't agree with everything the Flames do, but what does a wood bat have to do with it? Not a lot of 13U events use wood bats. Besides if you're going to beat someone with a bat, aluminum would do much more damage
Itís called Satire if you understand the definition. Wasnít even thinking about what bat would do more damage only the fact that Jay is a tournament and hotel Machine and even at his younger age tournaments they are wood bat tournaments. Thatís the satire.
Old 05-08-18, 09:34 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocomets21 View Post
I’d like to hear more of the story that led up to the incident, but obviously you can’t respond like that. I have a hard time understanding why alcohol is being served at a youth sports baseball tournament? Is this commonplace?
Some places do serve alcohol. I always refused to work those venues.

The backstory on this is both combatants knew each other. Typical dad/coach BS involving a player/former player/cut player. The war of words has been brewing for about a year. Their teams were playing each other on this day.

Dad is just as responsible as the coach and should be banned for life, just as the coach should be.

Last edited by AllSports12; 05-08-18 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-08-18, 09:44 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderlookingin View Post
Itís called Satire if you understand the definition. Wasnít even thinking about what bat would do more damage only the fact that Jay is a tournament and hotel Machine and even at his younger age tournaments they are wood bat tournaments. Thatís the satire.
I guess I don't see the problem.....he runs good tourneys, good teams come and good teams want to play good teams.... so be it. Sure, maybe they have gotten a little too big....when you have fields 70+ miles from Cincy, but again, you know what you're getting into....don't like it, don't go. There are plenty of tourneys, you don't have to play the Flames tourneys if you don't want to. You're free to start your own tourneys if you like I have no connection to the Flames...just don't understand how this incident somehow has something to do with the Flames running big tourneys.
Old 05-08-18, 01:10 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatQB View Post
Again, since you know nothing about travel baseball...why do you think people always travel 4-5 hours to play baseball? Facts are, at least in OH, they don't. All of the cities you mentioned have travel baseball tournaments every weekend that some of us who don't live in those cities "travel" to so we can play. So driving an hour to play baseball is too much too?

If you're going to insult people you should really know your facts. Columbus/Cincy/Cleveland all have "leagues" where these "travel teams" play each other during the summer..but get this, they also play in "travel" tournaments that are not in their cities..so what? Traveling from Columbus to Cincinnati to play in a tournament so you don't have to play the same teams you play in the regular league is bad? Get over yourself.
I may be wrong, but I think you and graceunder are going back and forth, but you are more in agreement than you may think. IMO graceunder is writing about the the upper tier travel teams that travel from state-to-state regularly. My son was a pretty good baseball player, but we never wanted to make the financial or time commitment to that level of travel. He played on a very solid team with his buddies in the Summit-Stark baseball league during the week and traveled to regional tournaments on the weekends. Again, our "travel" sounds more like yours; more regional. NEO, like other pockets of Ohio are fortunate to have a plethora of baseball (and basketball and soccer, etc.) tournaments relatively close by. In fact, we get a lot of teams from Pennsylvania that come to our tournaments because western PA apparently doesn't have as many available. So while my son played on a "travel" team, I think we only stayed overnight once (in Columbus). This sounds more like your experience with travel ball as well. My read of graceunder's posts are that he seems to be more questioning the logic of those families who spend $1,000's of dollars to travel from state-to-state every weekend, rather than families like yours or mine who spend $100's of dollars in regional tournaments. As far as I am concerned, to each his own. But my son was VERY happy with the travel ball experience he had. And it sounds like your son was as well.
Old 05-08-18, 01:19 PM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
I may be wrong, but I think you and graceunder are going back and forth, but you are more in agreement than you may think. IMO graceunder is writing about the the upper tier travel teams that travel from state-to-state regularly. My son was a pretty good baseball player, but we never wanted to make the financial or time commitment to that level of travel. He played on a very solid team with his buddies in the Summit-Stark baseball league during the week and traveled to regional tournaments on the weekends. Again, our "travel" sounds more like yours; more regional. NEO, like other pockets of Ohio are fortunate to have a plethora of baseball (and basketball and soccer, etc.) tournaments relatively close by. In fact, we get a lot of teams from Pennsylvania that come to our tournaments because western PA apparently doesn't have as many available. So while my son played on a "travel" team, I think we only stayed overnight once (in Columbus). This sounds more like your experience with travel ball as well. My read of graceunder's posts are that he seems to be more questioning the logic of those families who spend $1,000's of dollars to travel from state-to-state every weekend, rather than families like yours or mine who spend $100's of dollars in regional tournaments. As far as I am concerned, to each his own. But my son was VERY happy with the travel ball experience he had. And it sounds like your son was as well.
Exactly, and this is what people don't understand. They automatically assume the worst when they hear "travel". My point was he was attacking everyone just because they are involved in "travel" baseball. In order to understand what "travel" baseball is, you need to see it for yourself and not lump all of it together. You took the time to explain it better than me..thank you.

Our goal was to play in tournaments in the spring so we could get more game time to prepare for our rec league all-star games in summer. We won alot of games along the way and had a heck of a lot of fun too. Experiences the kids will remember and enjoy for the rest of their lives.
Old 05-08-18, 01:20 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Sounds like the best solution would have been to allow these two idiots to annihilate one another to rid youth baseball of their presence. The parent is obviously one of those cowardly goofs who gets brave and aggressive right after the fight is obviously over.
Old 05-08-18, 03:52 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Sounds like the best solution would have been to allow these two idiots to annihilate one another to rid youth baseball of their presence. The parent is obviously one of those cowardly goofs who gets brave and aggressive right after the fight is obviously over.
I'd like to ask the coach, "How do you think your conduct made the kids feel?" And I'd like to ask the dad, "How do you think your conduct made YOUR kid feel?" Sadly, I doubt either of these two are big on introspection.
Old 05-08-18, 05:11 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
I am disappointed by Yappi, the real story is the fight itself.

1) Coach tries to juke 3 ladies, barley gets by them.
2) Runs into Anthony Munoz, who stones him cold.
3) Parent comes out of the stands, falls into his attackers arm basically
throws himself into a guillotine choke (I am not sure how coach gets away from Munoz)
3a) Said parent sprints to someone holding a bat, with only a baseball hat in hand. Good choice.
4) 4 or 5 commish looking people are pointing randomly
5) Multiple wives freaking out
6) Asst coaches sprinting to random places
7) These items were heard ("There are women around", "There is a bat, run", "Someone check his age", "That bat is not sanctioned")

I laughed for a long time over this.

Parents have ruined all youth sports, no exceptions. If you are a parent, you have ruined sports for the young ones.
Old 05-09-18, 01:34 PM
All World

Vox Crusada is on a distinguished road
This was like a reenactment of the South Park episode "The Losing Edge" with Paul Melvin playing the part of Randy Marsh.
Old 05-09-18, 07:30 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
I'd like to ask the coach, "How do you think your conduct made the kids feel?" And I'd like to ask the dad, "How do you think your conduct made YOUR kid feel?" Sadly, I doubt either of these two are big on introspection.
Exactly Irish60. If they had that sense this would have never happened. They're more interesting in defending their manhood than they are in setting examples for the kids.