Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-07-18, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Ohio Travel Baseball Coach Goes After Parent With Aluminum Bat

https://bustedcoverage.com/2018/05/0...is-tournament/
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-18, 10:09 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
If you can't tune out parents then you shouldn't be coaching.
Old 05-07-18, 10:20 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
The fact that there is no announcement of this coach's firing and accompanying apology listed on the organization's website speaks volumes about the organization and travel baseball (as well as all specialized travel sports) as a whole.
Old 05-07-18, 10:51 AM
All District

graceunder is on a distinguished road
Travel baseball today and for at least 15 years is a waste of money and time. The amount of money I have heard parents put into to this could pay for a year of college at tOSU.
If your kid played travel baseball 25 to 30 years ago he was elite. Today you are spending all this money and your kid is an aveage baseball player.
The sad thing is it does not need to be like this. If you live in the big three cities in Ohio you do not need to travel more than 50 miles to find great quality teams to play. All the travel expenses is overwhelming for most parents. If you bring in 200 K a year fine. If not save your money, live within your means. Take the money you are wasting on baseball and put it in a good growth mutual fund for your kid and when he is 55 he will thank you abundantly.
Old 05-07-18, 11:09 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
The fact that there is no announcement of this coach's firing and accompanying apology listed on the organization's website speaks volumes about the organization and travel baseball (as well as all specialized travel sports) as a whole.
I used to take my team to a Wolves tourney in Toledo at the beginning of every year as a tune up. Every year we played a Flames team in the finals or semis. I will leave it at their coaches are not gracious losers.
Old 05-07-18, 11:14 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceunder View Post
Travel baseball today and for at least 15 years is a waste of money and time. The amount of money I have heard parents put into to this could pay for a year of college at tOSU.
If your kid played travel baseball 25 to 30 years ago he was elite. Today you are spending all this money and your kid is an aveage baseball player.
The sad thing is it does not need to be like this. If you live in the big three cities in Ohio you do not need to travel more than 50 miles to find great quality teams to play. All the travel expenses is overwhelming for most parents. If you bring in 200 K a year fine. If not save your money, live within your means. Take the money you are wasting on baseball and put it in a good growth mutual fund for your kid and when he is 55 he will thank you abundantly.
And if he loves baseball get him private lessons. An hour a week working hard one on one will go further than playing 4 games in a weekend traveling all over the place.
Old 05-07-18, 11:25 AM
All Ohio

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Looks like this coach has other issues:

Quote:
Quote:
Paul Melvin (2 months ago):

I had a player quit because they decided it was not a good fit via text no call after 6 games. This is the email they sent to my president today. Kid was batting .111 and an era of 12.00 in 2.1 inn highest on the team. Stated Due to favoritism of which you will see the email below. Well my kid sits as much as this kid if not more so maybe i should goto jail in todayís society over my childís abuse. Matter of fact they both batted 11 times.

Point of this post is to show what coaches and organizations deal with. No names are included as Iíve made stupid decisions in the past out of anger. I love my players and I really care to do my best. Iím not perfect and I make mistakes. Favoritism is never one!
Dear President of said organization who is a lawyer:

My son was signed to play for the 2018 said 13U team. After playing 2 tournaments and 6 games of said tournaments, it was clear that this was a situation that was not going to fulfill the promise as stated in your mission statement. This was due to limited playing time and an obvious favortism towards other players.

Consequently; we submitted our resignation in order for him to find a suitable team for him. More importantly, it would give the team time to find a replacement. We paid our $2000 fee plus your raffel.

In cosultation with our attorney, he said a refund should be given to us based on expections from your organization that were not kept minus the cost of uniforms and six games as a member of the roster. Our coucil has estimated a refund of $1500 would be appropriate.

We look forward to resolving this matter in a timely matter.

Respectfully yours,

Said Parent
Old 05-07-18, 11:47 AM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
so what exactly is your point in all of this rambling? You insulted parents for spending their own money and insulted kids for being average. So average kids can't play on travel ball teams with their friends? You obviously have not been to any travel ball tourneys. If you had, you would see that there are plenty of average and below average players and teams. Does that make it wrong to want to play baseball and enjoy your childhood while you can? All 4 of my boys have played travel and rec ball for years and enjoyed every minute of it. Pretty sure when they are older they won't forget memories made and will certainly be appreciative of the money and time we have spent allowing them to play baseball with their friends.
Old 05-07-18, 11:53 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
And if he loves baseball get him private lessons. An hour a week working hard one on one will go further than playing 4 games in a weekend traveling all over the place.
So true. Traveling 4 or 5 hours in a car one way when the kid is 10 to 14 does nothing to improve his skills. Would it not be more benefical to practice, private lessons yes but if not hit him ground balls in the back yard or park? Throw him waffle balls for 30 minutes in the back yard. Because sitting in the back of a car for 4 hours is a waste of time. How many ground balls could he have been hit in that 4 hours, at very little expense. Again there is no need to leave greater Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati/Dayton. There are numberous teams within the county/city the team lives in. Or at least the bording county or city.

Maybe this should change in High School aged summer leagues but even then it is questionable.
Old 05-07-18, 12:17 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatQB View Post
so what exactly is your point in all of this rambling? You insulted parents for spending their own money and insulted kids for being average. So average kids can't play on travel ball teams with their friends? You obviously have not been to any travel ball tourneys. If you had, you would see that there are plenty of average and below average players and teams. Does that make it wrong to want to play baseball and enjoy your childhood while you can? All 4 of my boys have played travel and rec ball for years and enjoyed every minute of it. Pretty sure when they are older they won't forget memories made and will certainly be appreciative of the money and time we have spent allowing them to play baseball with their friends.
Your responses is an example of emotions over logic. Your claims are nonsense otherwise I would address them. One thing: you do not need to waste thousands of dollars to make memories. If you do not understand that I cannot help you here on Yappi.
Old 05-07-18, 12:18 PM
All Ohio

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatQB View Post

Amen.

Let kids be kids and play baseball.

Travel.
Rec.
Backyard.

Just play ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-18, 12:55 PM
All Ohio

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
There are crazy arguments and fights around sporting events .....
...ALWAYS HAS BEEN....ALWAYS WILL BE.

Played thru college, coached 30 plus years, and even umpired a bit.

Seen it all in rec and travel.

GIMME A BREAK that these guys are fighting because travel baseball is bad.
I am sure they would get to it eventually no matter what they are involved in.

Travel baseball bashers start another thread (once again) and take it there lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-18, 12:56 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
One of the big issues with so many parents/players finding disappointment in the way their travel coach/program is run, often comes when their little Johnny just doesn't get much playing time in the grand scheme of things, especially during tournaments. So many of these travel teams simply roster too many kids, many of which simply don't get to play much. Why such large rosters & multiple like age teams within certain travel organizations? More income for the organization possibly? But any parent, might look at this distribution of playing time unfair. After all, they believe they paid the same amount of $ to join the team, participated in the fund raisers, paid the same travel/hotel/meal expenses as the starting players, yet their kid isn't able to join in the fun. After all, if you picked their son to play on a "travel team", he must be pretty talented too, right? Wrong, the realty is that coaches want to compete and have a shot at winning some tournaments. By playing a sort of rec like round robin style lineup, with designated inning substitutions, those chances diminish. Why do so many kids jump travel teams at such young ages year to year? Might not be fair, but is this really elite type travel ball, or more like advanced rec baseball? Multiple uniforms, travel bags, $400 bats, team warm up gear makes it look like something pretty elite to many kids/parents, when in fact that's just not the case.
Old 05-07-18, 01:40 PM
All District

Quote:
Your responses is an example of emotions over logic. Your claims are nonsense otherwise I would address them. One thing: you do not need to waste thousands of dollars to make memories. If you do not understand that I cannot help you here on Yappi.
1. Point proven, you have never been to a travel ball tourney.
2. How is it a waste of money? Kids playing baseball with their friends, eating together, hanging together, and learning together with positive role models and peers with similar interests..obviously memories you never had.
3. Don't make assumptions about things you don't know anything about. As Over The Hills stated, there is good and bad at all levels.
4. Go back to mommy's basement and enjoy your extra thousands that you've saved by never having fun.
Old 05-07-18, 01:41 PM
Varsity

Darrell is on a distinguished road
Six coaches on that team per the website. should have been a red flag that your kid is fighting for one of three spots that are left and probably wont play much.

These guys like to act tough and play the game of whose di, er bat, is bigger.
Old 05-07-18, 01:43 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Do you mean to insinuate that this team had "daddy coaches"? OMG, what a surprise!
Old 05-07-18, 01:49 PM
All District

Quote:
So true. Traveling 4 or 5 hours in a car one way when the kid is 10 to 14 does nothing to improve his skills. Would it not be more benefical to practice, private lessons yes but if not hit him ground balls in the back yard or park? Throw him waffle balls for 30 minutes in the back yard. Because sitting in the back of a car for 4 hours is a waste of time. How many ground balls could he have been hit in that 4 hours, at very little expense. Again there is no need to leave greater Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati/Dayton. There are numberous teams within the county/city the team lives in. Or at least the bording county or city.

Maybe this should change in High School aged summer leagues but even then it is questionable.
Again, since you know nothing about travel baseball...why do you think people always travel 4-5 hours to play baseball? Facts are, at least in OH, they don't. All of the cities you mentioned have travel baseball tournaments every weekend that some of us who don't live in those cities "travel" to so we can play. So driving an hour to play baseball is too much too?

If you're going to insult people you should really know your facts. Columbus/Cincy/Cleveland all have "leagues" where these "travel teams" play each other during the summer..but get this, they also play in "travel" tournaments that are not in their cities..so what? Traveling from Columbus to Cincinnati to play in a tournament so you don't have to play the same teams you play in the regular league is bad? Get over yourself.
Old 05-07-18, 01:55 PM
All District

Fact: Not all "travel" teams are elite. Many are average and below average.
Fact: Not all parents who allow their kids to play for "travel" teams are living their dreams through their kids or expect their kids are going to be MLB players.
Fact: Not all coaches are good..surprise. Guess what, they are not all bad either.
Fact (according to Grace): Don't let your kids enjoy their childhoods. Travel baseball is the Devil. Don't ever spend money to have fun.
Old 05-07-18, 01:59 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Absolutely, annd i do that, but many parents just may not have the skill set to really teach much plus an outside voice can be beneficial especially when the kids get to that 'I know more than my parents' stage.

Stuff will hit the fan soon with the boy's team. Coach told the team they will only be batting 9 going forward as up till now all players got to hit. Up to this point it has been a smart idea to bat all so each kid has am chance to show what they can do. Ya just don't have enough time for every kid to play evenly to evaluate fairly...even I if it means even the top of the lineup gets 2 AN a game.
I expect some pissed of parents starting this week as I know one was ready to rail on th coaches the open on weekend for where her boy was hitting in the lineup and continue to complain.

Not going to be a peasant rest of the summer I can only imagine. Even at the HS I'd have 1mparent a year complain let alone now paying 2500 plus to be on the team.
Old 05-07-18, 05:42 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
To all the parents who pay over $1000 to a baseball team per yr. ...you are dumb. You will realize this after your kids are done playing.

This coach should be banned from coaching any youth sporting event...ever.

I know their are Flames parents reading this, your ego's are too big to not be reading this and just hoping to see your kids name as the "who to watch". If you parents aren't demanding that this guy be removed, then you are as much of a jack as he is.

Oh and my kid played for free for them. So I am not a disgruntled parent. Just wise.
Old 05-07-18, 06:18 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Not that long ago, travel baseball was for the elite. It then became an odd status symbol that parents of average kids were willing to spend money on for their little Jimmy to play so that they could brag to other parents. It's a worthwhile endeavor for talented kids, but given how it has grown it's level of play has decayed substantially.

As for this idiot, he shouldn't be allowed within a quarter mile of a youth sports facility for the rest of his life. Shame the kids had to see that. I was amused at how brave the dad became after the coach was subdued by others and the bat was taken away.
Old 05-07-18, 07:40 PM
Varsity

outsiderlookingin is on a distinguished road
This is priceless. Anyone that know$ Jay and his real mi$$ion statement would first see that his coach didnít have a wood bat. I cant believe that. Quicker games even at the younger ages. Jay has become a tournament and hotel machine. Heís not running a travel organization anymore but a tournament company. What happened should surprise no one. That is a disturbing video
Old 05-07-18, 07:53 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderlookingin View Post
This is priceless. Anyone that know$ Jay and his real mi$$ion statement would first see that his coach didnít have a wood bat. I cant believe that. Quicker games even at the younger ages. Jay has become a tournament and hotel machine. Heís not running a travel organization anymore but a tournament company. What happened should surprise no one. That is a disturbing video
Exactly. It's all about money to Jay.
Old 05-07-18, 08:19 PM
All District

Baseballmom13 is on a distinguished road
https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ent/585627002/

Update to story. What a shame.
Old 05-07-18, 10:20 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
To all the parents who pay over $1000 to a baseball team per yr. ...you are dumb. You will realize this after your kids are done playing.

This coach should be banned from coaching any youth sporting event...ever.

I know their are Flames parents reading this, your ego's are too big to not be reading this and just hoping to see your kids name as the "who to watch". If you parents aren't demanding that this guy be removed, then you are as much of a jack as he is.

Oh and my kid played for free for them. So I am not a disgruntled parent. Just wise.
Probably the best way to express one's displeasure for this act of insanity would be to not play in the Flames' tournaments.
Old 05-07-18, 10:55 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
This is going to be one of those moments this coach will always regret. Things can get hot and wild during these type of games but you can't let it go that far.

Unfortunately for these two people, it was caught on video and became a viral video that will haunt them for a while.
Old 05-08-18, 12:00 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
It's a U13 game! They can't get into most movies without a parent. There's absolutely no reason at that age for this type of thing to happen. And it's exactly what's wrong with travel sports at that age. Let them start traveling in High School when at least they should also start making sure their grades are in order too. You go to any tournament and it's the "in" families vs the people who just want their kids to have fun.

In teams of this coach...he was willing to go to prison for 3-16 years over a youth baseball game? The Flames organization possibly being held liable based off keeping it around after his facebook comments. There's absolutely no reason he, or any family member should be allowed to stay in the Flames program. And I'm sure any others would have to think long and hard about have the family play for them.
Old 05-08-18, 05:49 AM
Varsity

outsiderlookingin is on a distinguished road
Nothing on the Cincy Flames web site. Mission Statement: To Instill the integrity of the game of baseball into each player while helping them understand the greatness of the game. To allow each player to learn the many life lessons associated with the game of baseball. To guide and enhance the development needed to advance to the college or professional level. To provide the best learning environment, the best competition, and the most fun the game of baseball has to offer to its participants

Jay or Beth we want to hear from you. Get away from your phone and the hotels and respond to this.
Old 05-08-18, 08:24 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderlookingin View Post
Read on another site that it's been announced that he's done. I don't agree with everything the Flames do, but what does a wood bat have to do with it? Not a lot of 13U events use wood bats. Besides if you're going to beat someone with a bat, aluminum would do much more damage
Old 05-08-18, 09:19 AM
All American

gocomets21 is on a distinguished road
Iíd like to hear more of the story that led up to the incident, but obviously you canít respond like that. I have a hard time understanding why alcohol is being served at a youth sports baseball tournament? Is this commonplace?