Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-01-18, 10:38 AM
Freshman

cometcoach is on a distinguished road
Mason Invitational

We are very excited about the Mason Invite this Friday night.

As always, some strong full teams are coming and then a handful of very tough individuals in key events as well. Most notable is the mile field.

The Angela Bizzarri Mile should be great this year. This is our featured race with great fan energy, down on the track and lots of hype as well.

Top boys are:
HORTER -going for the state record if possible. Ready for a big show!!
Bons - indoor state champ
Kreft - State XC champ
Gabe Szalay. Mile PR: 4:11.
Nick Miller. PR: 4:14. 2018 New Balance Nationals Indoor Mile and 1500m runner-up.
Jackson Siddall- Mile PR: 4:15.
Ryan Johnston- Senior from Lexington(OH). Mile PR: 4:16
Plus others..

Top girls are:
Sam Bush- PR: 4:50. 2018
Maddie Walker- PR: 4:58. 2018 Indoor state mile champion.
Grace Kilroy- . Mile PR: 4:59.
Emma Watcke- Mile PR: 5:01
Morgan Gigandet- Mile PR: 5:01.
Emma Bucher- Top centerville xc girl
Kylee McFarland- PR: 5:02. 3rd in Indoor state championships mile.
Sophie Lewis- Mile PR: 5:02.
Alyssa Christian- . Mile PR: 5:03.
Rosie Lamb- Mile PR: 5:04.
Perri Bockrath Ė Mile PR 5:02
Jenny Seas- J Mile PR: 5:04.
Meghan Sculli- . Mile PR: 5:05.
and more..

Full teams are:
1. St. Xavier Boys Ursuline Girls
2. Gahanna Lincoln B & G
3. Lakota West B & G
4. Fairfield B & G
5. Lakota East B & G
6. Turpin B & G
7. Westerville South B & G
8. Springboro B & G
9. Centerville B & G
10. Wayne B & G
11. Miamisburg B & G
12. Westerville North B & G
13. Mason A B & G
14. Mason B B & G
15. Connor B & G
16. Winton Woods B & G
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-18, 10:41 AM
All District

claynation is on a distinguished road
Will you have a pacer for Horter? I heard this wasn't just a state record attempt; it's also a sub-4 attempt!
Old 05-01-18, 11:01 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
cometcoach, will there be a camera at the 1600m. I seem to remember in the past, you would list both times in the results. OHSAA web site lists Bob Kennedy as the all time state record holder in DI 4:05.13. http://ohsaa.org/sports/staterecords/tf
Old 05-01-18, 11:43 AM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
cometcoach, will there be a camera at the 1600m. I seem to remember in the past, you would list both times in the results. OHSAA web site lists Bob Kennedy as the all time state record holder in DI 4:05.13. http://ohsaa.org/sports/staterecords/tf
I agree...having a camera at 1600m is desirable...no conversions would then be needed. Having an additional one at 1500m would be FANTASTIC!, but 1600m would great.
Old 05-01-18, 11:56 AM
Freshman

working on it.

Pacer - someone always goes hard at the front. (save one year) I think this will all work out just fine.

Clock - hard to do with the software. Finish Timing could run an additional clock, but that may be hard to pull off. (we can ask)

1500 - We may have an informal hand time taken at this point. (nothing official)
Old 05-01-18, 12:27 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
With Horter in the race I don't think there is any fear of getting a fast start. I am looking forward to watching.
Old 05-01-18, 12:30 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcoach View Post
1500 - We may have an informal hand time taken at this point. (nothing official)
Don't forget that the 1500m mark in a mile race is about 0.66 meters beyond the beginning of the 4x100 exchange zone. It's not at the 100m start/midpoint of the exchange zone.
Old 05-01-18, 12:32 PM
Lancers lead the way!

I agree. It was reported that Horter went out in 52 first quarter time in his race last weekend at Wayne. He needs no rabbit. He is both the hound and the rabbit.
Old 05-01-18, 01:38 PM
All Ohio

LoveCrossCountry is on a distinguished road
Just some clarification, but I'm pretty sure Lucas Bons has not won an individual state championship of any kind yet. He finished 2nd in the indoor 1600 this past winter and he was a National Champion in the 4x800, and then won an indoor state title and an outdoor state title too on the relay (at least I think he was on both of those state title relays), but no individual state title. Just shows how great this senior class is, because Lucas is amazing.

Nick Miller ran in the Emerging Elite mile at NBNI and he got second in that. The 1500 time was a split from that race...but not the championship race which Horter won.
Old 05-01-18, 10:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveCrossCountry View Post
Just some clarification, but I'm pretty sure Lucas Bons has not won an individual state championship of any kind yet. He finished 2nd in the indoor 1600 this past winter and he was a National Champion in the 4x800, and then won an indoor state title and an outdoor state title too on the relay (at least I think he was on both of those state title relays), but no individual state title. Just shows how great this senior class is, because Lucas is amazing.

Nick Miller ran in the Emerging Elite mile at NBNI and he got second in that. The 1500 time was a split from that race...but not the championship race which Horter won.

That is correct. Didnít even notice that. Lucas was 3rd outdoors and 2nd indoors in the 1600. Not an individual state champion. He was on both state title relays teams (and the sub 7:40 runners up) and the national champion relay.
Old 05-02-18, 12:43 AM
All Ohio

LoveCrossCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
That is correct. Didnít even notice that. Lucas was 3rd outdoors and 2nd indoors in the 1600. Not an individual state champion. He was on both state title relays teams (and the sub 7:40 runners up) and the national champion relay.
I'm a former sports journalist, so I like to get the facts straight!
Old 05-02-18, 05:41 AM
Varsity

galesxc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
I agree...having a camera at 1600m is desirable...no conversions would then be needed. Having an additional one at 1500m would be FANTASTIC!, but 1600m would great.
An official OHSAA State Record 1600M will require an FAT camera at the 1600M mark. Conversions are(were) not permitted for record purposes... strongly advise arranging for a camera at the 1600M mark.
Old 05-02-18, 05:46 AM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road

In this clip from 2014, you can see a camera set up at the mile start line which would record official 1600 time. Additional clips from the same meet show the traditional finish line camera setup used by Finishtiming. I hope Mike does that again Friday night. Then the kids could get both 1600 and mile official times.
Old 05-02-18, 05:47 AM
Varsity

galesxc is on a distinguished road
For info...

Brannon's enroute 1500M FAT from the Adidas Dream Mile was 3:46.09.
Old 05-02-18, 07:56 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Horter talks about going for 4:00

WCPO
Old 05-02-18, 09:29 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree. It was reported that Horter went out in 52 first quarter time in his race last weekend at Wayne. He needs no rabbit. He is both the hound and the rabbit.
About 90% of high school runners could run the first lap at sub 4:00 pace.

I don't think anyone is worried about the first lap.
It will be laps 2 and 3 that will require the most work.
With him leading the race the entire time- doing most of the work- even without wind or any other condition he will be required to do about 20% more work because he will be leading. Data tells us that it is 80% easier to sit behind another runner. Science data also tells us that in running that calculates out to about 1 second per 400. That is on a still day without any wind conditions.

This is how he runs every single race in high school. He goes to the front and pushes the pace tremendously. I don't think anyone doubts his ability to run that first lap fast.

A rabbit would help him tremendously. But in my professional opinion, I don't think he could break 4:05 right now even with a rabbit going sub 3:00 for 1200. I would be very surprised if he can do that.

I am pretty confident that with perfect conditions Horter will run something along the lines of:
1:59-2:00
3:03
4:05-4:06

I would be very surprised if he could break 4:04. The % of improvement is too large for his sample of work.
But with using data analysis...Horter possibly could shave 4 seconds off his time with a rabbit for 1500 meters.

Last edited by EuclidandViren; 05-02-18 at 09:47 AM..
Old 05-02-18, 10:37 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post

With him leading the race the entire time- doing most of the work- even without wind or any other condition he will be required to do about 20% more work because he will be leading. Data tells us that it is 80% easier to sit behind another runner. Science data also tells us that in running that calculates out to about 1 second per 400. That is on a still day without any wind conditions.

This is how he runs every single race in high school. He goes to the front and pushes the pace tremendously. I don't think anyone doubts his ability to run that first lap fast.

A rabbit would help him tremendously. But in my professional opinion, I don't think he could break 4:05 right now even with a rabbit going sub 3:00 for 1200. I would be very surprised if he can do that.

I am pretty confident that with perfect conditions Horter will run something along the lines of:

I would be very surprised if he could break 4:04. The % of improvement is too large for his sample of work.
But with using data analysis...Horter possibly could shave 4 seconds off his time with a rabbit for 1500 meters.
The fastest mile time I have done by a Cincinnati area runner is Colerain's Mason Ward 4:07.2 at the Golden West Inv. in 2000 http://goldenwestinvitational.org/wp...4/01/2000.html
Old 05-02-18, 11:01 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
The fastest mile time I have done by a Cincinnati area runner is Colerain's Mason Ward 4:07.2 at the Golden West Inv. in 2000 http://goldenwestinvitational.org/wp...4/01/2000.html
Steve Padget- one of my favorite racers to watch also ran that Golden West that year in the 3200- 8:54 for the 3200! He was a stud!
Old 05-02-18, 11:08 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Steve Padget- one of my favorite racers to watch also ran that Golden West that year in the 3200- 8:54 for the 3200! He was a stud!
I have Padgett listed 11th on the All Time 3200m/2mile list with his time of 8:54.90. http://yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312599
Old 05-02-18, 11:52 AM
Freshman

Friday -

Hey,

Just a heads up.. the weather Friday looks so.. so. We are planning on going ahead Friday as far as we can tell. Worst case scenario, we change it to Saturday. This will be a late call on Thursday night.

Also, the FAST mile will be toward the end, before the 3200. This is for less wind, the lights, etc. We think 8:00-8:30ish depending on how things flow.

We hope for a great crowd. See you there!!
Old 05-02-18, 12:06 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Unlikely I know, but will there be a video stream of the meet?
Old 05-02-18, 02:01 PM
All District

Quote:

This x100.

A pacer would help out Horter tremendously. Get your top 800m runner in the race and have him run 59s.

Yes, the race will definitely be fast with Dustin in it, but if he has to lead from the gun, his chances of breaking a state record and/or going sub-4 will decrease significantly.
Old 05-02-18, 08:10 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by claynation View Post
This x100.

A pacer would help out Horter tremendously. Get your top 800m runner in the race and have him run 59s.

Yes, the race will definitely be fast with Dustin in it, but if he has to lead from the gun, his chances of breaking a state record and/or going sub-4 will decrease significantly.
He has to have help. And how many volunteers are willing (and capable)?
I still think a more realistic goal would be to go after Kennedy's 1600 record. I'd hate to see him miss that opportunity by trying to break 4:00.
Old 05-02-18, 08:20 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
He has the best part of the season left. He will have better races.

What i want to know is how you can run a 1:50 in April after the worst weather we have had in spring.
Old 05-02-18, 09:23 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
With chumps like Bons, Kreft and Szalay in the race, they definitely need a rabbit. Have any of you ever been in a race with a Rabbit? I hated it. 9 out of 10 times it just ruins the race. Asking a HS kid to be a Rabbit is also a joke. Have any of you ever been a Rabbit? I did it once or twice and it was also miserable and worthless. The two I remember, no one went with me the one time and I stepped off the track with a 10 meter lead. The second time, I went through in 3rd place when I stepped off. Both times I was dead on pace and as close to dead on even splits for each 200 as you can get. HS kids are not professional runners. Rabbits should not be allowed IMO.
Old 05-02-18, 10:32 PM
All American

It is completely wrong to ask a HS athlete to rabbit. If the time is most important thing, then the top athletes could make plans to push each other. Otherwise let them race. I canít see it being a slow race given the athletes running.
Old 05-03-18, 06:41 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
It is completely wrong to ask a HS athlete to rabbit. If the time is most important thing, then the top athletes could make plans to push each other. Otherwise let them race. I canít see it being a slow race given the athletes running.
Mason has done it before for the DREAM Mile--I believe the first year or maybe 2 years they had a rabbit in both the boys and girls DREAM MILE.
Old 05-03-18, 09:40 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
We are very excited about the Mason Invite this Friday night.

The Angela Bizzarri Mile should be great this year. This is our featured race with great fan energy, down on the track and lots of hype as well.

Top boys are:
HORTER -going for the state record if possible. Ready for a big show!!
Horter cannot get the state record in the 1600m becasue the distance being run is not 1600m. Lanceaster already tried to get Kidder's time in the mile run one week after the 2012 state meet on June 2, 2012, and the OHSAA turned it down. I agree 100% with them in this case. A record has to be an exact time at an exact distance. No converted time can be used. What is absolute fact in this case is that Brannon Kidder has the state record in the mile of 4:03.12 run in the Adidas Grand Prix in New York on June 9, 2012. You have to submit a certified copy of your birth certificate to run in the high school mile. Kidder's is listed in the results. You have to go to the archives and select 2012 as the year to get the results from the high school mile. It's about half way down the page and is the second high school event listed. http://newyork.diamondleague.com/pro...sults-archive/

This is the time Horter must beat to get the state record in the mile, not the 1600m.
Old 05-03-18, 10:04 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
Though the Mason coach has already dispelled the idea of having a rabbit:

Claynation mentioned that East should have their best 800 runner in the race to set pace. Horter is the best 800 runner. The second best 800 runner is a sprinter and he'll have his own races to worry about.
Obviously Horter is the best 800m runner in the entire state, but that's beside the point here. What I'm saying is, if Mason wants to make this a legit sub-4 attempt for Dustin, they need to have a designated rabbit in the field -- preferably someone who's at least capable of, say, 1:56 for 800m. This person needs to run 29-30 second 200m splits for as long as possible.

Yes, the race would be fast without a rabbit, but the pace will lag on laps 2 and 3 if there isn't one. Dustin cannot wire-to-wire a sub 4, which is what he's said he wants to run in this race. His chances of running sub-4 in optimal conditions with perfect pacing are relatively low to begin with, but he'll have no chance without a rabbit to tuck in behind for at least 800-1000 meters.
Old 05-04-18, 12:41 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Hey,Just a heads up.. the weather Friday looks so.. so. We are planning on going ahead Friday as far as we can tell. Worst case scenario, we change it to Saturday. This will be a late call on Thursday night.
So cometcoach, is the meet still on for today (Friday)? Was the Thursday night late call ever made to change it to Saturday?