Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-25-18, 10:07 AM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 917
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Wayne Invite

Next to Eastern Relays this is the best meet in the Midwest.

This is the best meet in Ohio in the regular season. And in some aspects and events better than the state meet.

When do entries and heat sheets come out?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-25-18, 10:09 AM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 2,850
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
my guess is late thursday night.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-25-18, 10:31 AM
apeg apeg is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-22-06
Posts: 108
apeg is on a distinguished road
Meet starts Thursday afternoon, so probably tonight.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-25-18, 11:02 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,666
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Heat Sheets are out now.

http://live.finishtiming.com/#/results/meet/201800121
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-25-18, 11:06 AM
Rohbino Rohbino is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-07
Location: Hunting Valley
Posts: 1,736
Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post

This is the best meet in Ohio in the regular season.
Wayne is a fine meet but I'm not sure if it's "the best meet in Ohio in the regular season." In some years, yes, it's probably the best invite. In other years it could arguably be challenged by the Rod Russell Mason Invite as being the "best." "Best" is a highly subjective label, anyway. Both are excellent meets.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-25-18, 11:27 AM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 2,850
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
man oh man that is fast in everything!!!!

BTW, Coach Fern and his family has the best spread of food I have ever seen at a track meet.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-25-18, 11:37 AM
Rohbino Rohbino is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-07
Location: Hunting Valley
Posts: 1,736
Rohbino is on a distinguished road
In my first look at the heat sheets, there are some good races on tap.

The boys 400 should be a screamer with all 8 athletes in the 10th heat under 50 and 4 of the 8 under 49.

The boys 800 with all 17 athletes in the 5th heat registering seed times under 2:00. Last year's state champ in the 800, Malachi McGill, with a time of 1:53.28 as a frosh is running and has a seed time of 1:56. There are a total of 8 guys with seed times under 1:58. Dustin Horter has gone 1:53.69 this season so it will be interesting to see where he ends up. I suspect that Horter is going to try a 800/1600 double at state this year and leave the 3200 alone. This race will give a good indication of his chances at the state 800.

The boys 1600 has 5 guys with seed times of 4:20 or better. I did notice Conant Smith is running and has a seed time of 4:10. I was not aware that he has gone that fast this spring with what was reported as an IT band injury. I hope he's back as I am looking for him to have a big fall and possibly bring down the NTR course record if he is in form.

There are some strong relay teams entered by both girls and boys teams. Does anyone think that Pick Central has a shot at bringing down Trotwood-Madison's 4x4 state record? They should be close.

A few things I noticed in the sprint records. Khalilah Carpenter is listed as the sole state record holder in girls DI 100 with 11.59. She actually shares that record with Abby Steiner. Ms. Steiner is the state record holder in the 200 with a time of 23.56. Aareon Payne is erroneously listed with a time of 23.65.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-26-18, 06:48 AM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 917
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
Wayne is a fine meet but I'm not sure if it's "the best meet in Ohio in the regular season." In some years, yes, it's probably the best invite. In other years it could arguably be challenged by the Rod Russell Mason Invite as being the "best." "Best" is a highly subjective label, anyway. Both are excellent meets.
Mason could be considered a top 5-10 meet. But nothing compares to the Wayne meet.

Let's do some data and figure out which meet is better. It would take couple of hours of time. Going to both meets every year, I would say Mason has some top level talent just because you have many of the same top teams in the state Centerville, Wayne and Mason. But Wayne has much much more depth.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-26-18, 08:32 AM
panott panott is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-23-07
Posts: 457
panott is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Mason could be considered a top 5-10 meet. But nothing compares to the Wayne meet.

Let's do some data and figure out which meet is better. It would take couple of hours of time. Going to both meets every year, I would say Mason has some top level talent just because you have many of the same top teams in the state Centerville, Wayne and Mason. But Wayne has much much more depth.
You are correct!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-28-18, 12:07 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,666
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Dustin Horter's 800m run of 1:50.73 was a school record, Cincinnati city record, and Wayne Inv. record. According to US Milesplit rankings, it's the third fastest time in the country this year.

Last edited by Lancermania; 04-28-18 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-28-18, 07:21 AM
Rohbino Rohbino is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-07
Location: Hunting Valley
Posts: 1,736
Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Dustin Horter's 800m run of 1:50.73 was a school record, Cincinnati city record, and Wayne Inv. record. According to US Milesplit rankings, it's the third fastest time in the country this year.
I didn't see that coming from Horter. I knew he had good 800 potential but with a previous PR of 1:53.7, I figured him to be a 1:52ish guy while in high school. This cements my opinion that Horter will do a 800/1600 double at State since the 1600/3200 is nearly impossible.

I saw a tape of the race and I was most surprised that McGill faded as he did. Horter was 52.xx at 400 and it looked like McGill was already out of form. In the last 100-150 a slew of guys passed McGill.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-28-18, 07:33 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,666
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
I didn't see that coming from Horter. I knew he had good 800 potential but with a previous PR of 1:53.7, I figured him to be a 1:52ish guy while in high school. This cements my opinion that Horter will do a 800/1600 double at State since the 1600/3200 is nearly impossible.
Scott Fry did it in 1985: 4:08.03 and 8:49.40. I put Horter in the same class as Fry, so why not?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-28-18, 07:51 AM
Rohbino Rohbino is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-07
Location: Hunting Valley
Posts: 1,736
Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Scott Fry did it in 1985: 4:08.03 and 8:49.40. I put Horter in the same class as Fry, so why not?
There are a lot of variables. What was the weather like in that day in 1985? Usually the weather at the state meet consists of brutally hot temperatures. Who were the other runners in the field? While the schedule for 2018 hasn't yet been posted, if it is the same as the one that Psychodad posted there is only 1:05 between the 1600 & 3200. If brutally hot, as it often is, and with the expected effort it will require to win the 1600, it's a difficult double. The 1600/800 is more doable though there appears to only be 55 minutes between the events.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-28-18, 07:55 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,666
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
I didn't see that coming from Horter. I knew he had good 800 potential but with a previous PR of 1:53.7, I figured him to be a 1:52ish guy while in high school.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Finishtim...706114/photo/1

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-28-18, 08:59 AM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 917
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
High School announcers were great! Pure emotion.

State champ is in second place by 80 meters!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-28-18, 11:20 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,151
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
HORRIBLE camera work and announcing. Both should be done by adults, not children.

Fantastic run by Horter. Congrats to him and his coaches.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-28-18, 03:48 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,818
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Scott Fry did it in 1985: 4:08.03 and 8:49.40. I put Horter in the same class as Fry, so why not?
Joel Marchand '80 (John Zishka finished 2nd 4:07 something won 3200)

Brian Hasson '81

Lowell Terrell finished 3rd (I think...but he was sub 4:15) won 3200 and Scott Fry lost to Dan Franek in the 3200 by a nose, but won the 1600 '84

Mark Croghan and Bob Henes both did it in '86

Bob Kennedy '87

Brian Norris (2nd in 1600 but won 3200) '88


Everyone doubled in the 80's. I personally would love to see Lowell Terrell run today with today's training. He was unreal.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-28-18, 04:32 PM
Newton's Third Newton's Third is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-03-10
Posts: 563
Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
This got me going back and looking at old results. Add Zishka's junior year to the list of winning the 1600 and 3200 (1979). I remember it being very cold either that year or the year before ('78). I'm still looking so I will post anything I think you may find interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-28-18, 05:13 PM
billcarson billcarson is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-10-10
Posts: 230
billcarson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
There are a lot of variables. What was the weather like in that day in 1985? Usually the weather at the state meet consists of brutally hot temperatures. Who were the other runners in the field? While the schedule for 2018 hasn't yet been posted, if it is the same as the one that Psychodad posted there is only 1:05 between the 1600 & 3200. If brutally hot, as it often is, and with the expected effort it will require to win the 1600, it's a difficult double. The 1600/800 is more doable though there appears to only be 55 minutes between the events.
Adding only 10 more minutes rest to run the 3200 double instead of the 800 double seems way off and makes it sound near impossible to run the 1600/3200. I assume they run the 200 after the 800, and then these GUYS will
have the girls 3200 before them. Sounds good for about 25 more minutes to me.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-28-18, 07:51 PM
panott panott is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-23-07
Posts: 457
panott is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarson View Post
Adding only 10 more minutes rest to run the 3200 double instead of the 800 double seems way off and makes it sound near impossible to run the 1600/3200. I assume they run the 200 after the 800, and then these GUYS will
have the girls 3200 before them. Sounds good for about 25 more minutes to me.
Don't forget that for a period of time they ran all 3 divisions together. "A", "AA", "AAA" so the rest was considerably more during that time frame. Three races of each certainly helped doubling or tripling back then.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-28-18, 08:35 PM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 18,163
Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
HORRIBLE camera work and announcing. Both should be done by adults, not children.

Fantastic run by Horter. Congrats to him and his coaches.
This was likely never meant to be a professional production - probably just JV athletes filming for their coaches. Some teams film their meets or at least the races where they have entrants. Not many adults are clamoring to get that gig.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-28-18, 09:56 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,818
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by panott View Post
Don't forget that for a period of time they ran all 3 divisions together. "A", "AA", "AAA" so the rest was considerably more during that time frame. Three races of each certainly helped doubling or tripling back then.
When was that? Not in the 80's.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-29-18, 06:38 AM
Rohbino Rohbino is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-07
Location: Hunting Valley
Posts: 1,736
Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
High School announcers were great! Pure emotion.

State champ is in second place by 80 meters!
I watched and listened to the video. It sounds like those were kids from Mason.

McGill was actually 10th in that heat and 13th over all. He looked gassed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarson View Post
Adding only 10 more minutes rest to run the 3200 double instead of the 800 double seems way off and makes it sound near impossible to run the 1600/3200. I assume they run the 200 after the 800, and then these GUYS will
have the girls 3200 before them. Sounds good for about 25 more minutes to me.
To be clear, I never said that I don't believe that Horter should or would double at state. I believe that he will double but my opinion is that he is fashioning himself more as a 800/1600 instead of a 1600/3200 runner. It seems that his best potential right now is the 800/1600 and that is what he will double.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-29-18, 07:01 AM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 2,850
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
When was that? Not in the 80's.
they did in 90-91 because I was there
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-29-18, 09:11 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,666
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
I have the state meet schedule from 1985. Class AA 1600m scheduled for 9:50 a.m., class AA 3200m scheduled for 11:00 a.m. Fry won both.

I was in the stands for the 1994 state meet. It was blazing hot that day, temperature in the mid-90s. I was an eyewitness to Doug Bockenstette's 1600-3200 double. I have the state meet schedule. Boys 1600m scheduled for 1:40 p.m and 3200m scheduled for 2:45 p.m.

Last edited by Lancermania; 04-29-18 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-29-18, 09:00 PM
Napcat2000 Napcat2000 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-13-16
Posts: 24
Napcat2000 is on a distinguished road
loved the kids on the video...pure teenage excitement
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-29-18, 09:16 PM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,151
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
This was likely never meant to be a professional production - probably just JV athletes filming for their coaches. Some teams film their meets or at least the races where they have entrants. Not many adults are clamoring to get that gig.
I agree with you. Perhaps I came across as a bit too harsh in tone. Kids excitement is understandable. It would be great if there was a more "stable" film of the race out there...one that follows the leader with a sufficiently wide view to show the position of other runners as well.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-30-18, 07:32 AM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 2,850
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Have you ever listened to live feeds from Flotrack, I think these kids did a better job.

As for Horter, if he goes for it at state like this (especially going for a sub 4 mile which I believe he is after) he will be the greatest track athlete ever in the state of Ohio.

To many guys like See or Neff (who both could have went under) never went for it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-30-18, 07:52 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,666
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Did Lancaster's Brandon Kidder come closest with his 4:03.12 mile time at the Adidas Grand Prix Dream Mile in 2012.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-30-18, 08:47 AM
mathking mathking is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-25-10
Posts: 1,472
mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Have you ever listened to live feeds from Flotrack, I think these kids did a better job.

As for Horter, if he goes for it at state like this (especially going for a sub 4 mile which I believe he is after) he will be the greatest track athlete ever in the state of Ohio.

To many guys like See or Neff (who both could have went under) never went for it.
While it would be amazing if we were to go under 4:00 (even if not actually for a mile) I don't see him winning the 800 in that case. As for that making him the greatest track athlete ever in the state? No. It would be one of the best state meet performances in history, but not even necessarily the best there. And better than Jesse Owens because he runs the 800 after trying for a sub 4:00 1600? Huh?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pickerington North 41 Huber Heights Wayne 20 vamp2syd Football 19 11-06-17 08:56 PM
Trotwood 14 Huber Heights Wayne 7 vamp2syd Football 23 10-30-17 10:54 AM
Huber Heights Wayne 35 Fairmont 28 vamp2syd Football 15 10-15-17 08:10 PM
Huber Heights Wayne 38 Northmont 35 vamp2syd Football 8 09-23-17 01:11 PM
Huber Heights Wayne 34 Clarkson North 21 vamp2syd Football 3 09-09-17 08:03 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz