Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-12-18, 04:29 PM
SLAGuy SLAGuy is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-11-17
Posts: 634
SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
This Season's MVP?

Who is this season's MVP for the NBA?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-13-18, 05:40 AM
Chop Stix Chop Stix is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-06-05
Location: Bayside High
Posts: 3,589
Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Harden
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-18, 05:56 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,514
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Harden

It could easily and realistically be argued that LeBron's proportional impact for his team's wins was greater than Harden's was, but it can't be ignored that LeBron pretty much checked out for a month to ensure that those trade deadline moves happened.

Maybe he did what he had to do. I'm sure it wasn't pleasant for him, but it negates placing his season above Harden's for me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-18, 06:26 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,035
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I couldn't have said it better myself, Cabe.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-18, 07:02 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,264
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Harden by a landslide.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-13-18, 07:40 AM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 14,001
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
LeBron. His impact on his team is only matched by Westbrook. Harden’s numbers are D’Antoni-inflated.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-13-18, 08:21 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,035
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
LeBron. His impact on his team is only matched by Westbrook. Harden’s numbers are D’Antoni-inflated.
Not sure I entirely agree with that for this year. His numbers are very similar this year to 2015-16 before D'Antoni. I'm not sold on Westbrook having a high impact on his team, either.

2015-16: 29 ppg, 43.9% fg, 35.9% 3pt, 6.1 rpg, 7.5 apg, 1.7 spg, 4.6 turnovers per game.
2017-18: 30.4 ppg, 44.9% fg, 36.7% 3pt, 5.4 rpg, 8.8 apg, 1.8 spg, 4.4 turnovers per game.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-13-18, 08:29 AM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 4,853
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Harden pretty obviously wins based on the typical criteria used for the MVP award. He was the best player for the team with the best record and led the league in scoring. It also helps he hasn't won one yet, and many think he should have one at least one time, maybe twice already.

Everyone knows the MVP award isn't actually about "who's the best player?" If it were, Jordan would have about 10 and Lebron would have near the same.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-13-18, 08:55 AM
y2h y2h is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-18-01
Location: Mr. H-O-O-V-E-R!!!!
Posts: 12,967
y2h is on a distinguished road
Cavs are a lottery team without LeBron. With him they are a threat to win the East if not the whole thing...Who is more valuable than that?

Statistically he played every game, led the league in points(3rd in avg), averaged career highs in rebounds and assists, shot 10% points better than Harden....maybe the finest season of an all time great in his 15th season.

Pretty clear who both the best player and most valuable is.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-13-18, 09:08 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,035
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
Cavs are a lottery team without LeBron. With him they are a threat to win the East if not the whole thing...Who is more valuable than that?

Statistically he played every game, led the league in points(3rd in avg), averaged career highs in rebounds and assists, shot 10% points better than Harden....maybe the finest season of an all time great in his 15th season.

Pretty clear who both the best player and most valuable is.
This season, despite how great he was statistically, I'd say this was his 4th best season behind 2008-09, 09-10 and 12-13 by a good margin.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-13-18, 09:27 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,845
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
LeBron should be but Harden will win it. The numbers mean nothing, overall LeBron has better numbers including more games played(every game). The biggest factor for me is although he plays in a lesser conference, the fact that his team was re-structured in mid-season, he was still able to carry that team to the playoffs. I also believe that Chris Paul took the pressure off of Harden, Harden was able to play off of Paul. IMO Paul was more valuable to Rockets but the true definition of "valuable" is not the definition of the award if it was LeBron would clearly be the winner.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-13-18, 11:17 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,514
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
Cavs are a lottery team without LeBron. With him they are a threat to win the East if not the whole thing...Who is more valuable than that?

Statistically he played every game, led the league in points(3rd in avg), averaged career highs in rebounds and assists, shot 10% points better than Harden....maybe the finest season of an all time great in his 15th season.

Pretty clear who both the best player and most valuable is.
If I was to "invent" the NBA MVP Award, I would look at it in much the same way that you do and reach the same conclusion. The Cavs would fall much lower if both players were removed.

Not sure how the award is determined, but I've heard conjecture that because Jordan won 5, LBJ wont ever be allowed to win as many.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-13-18, 11:37 AM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 16,584
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
I would vote for LeBron but Harden will win comfortably and I have no problem with that. Dude had an amazing season and his team has the best record. He's also been passed up a couple of times when he had a legitimate case
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-13-18, 01:49 PM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 14,001
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Not sure I entirely agree with that for this year. His numbers are very similar this year to 2015-16 before D'Antoni. I'm not sold on Westbrook having a high impact on his team, either.

2015-16: 29 ppg, 43.9% fg, 35.9% 3pt, 6.1 rpg, 7.5 apg, 1.7 spg, 4.6 turnovers per game.
2017-18: 30.4 ppg, 44.9% fg, 36.7% 3pt, 5.4 rpg, 8.8 apg, 1.8 spg, 4.4 turnovers per game.
I’d be okay with Harden winning, but I think it’s easier to rack up big numbers in a D’Antoni offense, and with the Rockets supporting cast, than it is for LeBron with this Cavs team. Westbrook, to me, is the closest current player to LeBron in terms of ability and dominance.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-13-18, 03:05 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 4,853
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
I think if the Rockets don't make the finals because Harden comes up short in the playoffs again, you're probably looking at the last time anyone in a D'Antoni offense will win MVP.

This is by far the most talented team he's ever had and the Warriors injuries/struggles have lined up everything perfectly for them to win the title. If Harden pulls another disappearing act, you have to assume their style is just not built for the post-season, or there's some sort of mental block there.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-13-18, 03:37 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,264
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
I’d be okay with Harden winning, but I think it’s easier to rack up big numbers in a D’Antoni offense, and with the Rockets supporting cast, than it is for LeBron with this Cavs team. Westbrook, to me, is the closest current player to LeBron in terms of ability and dominance.
There’s something about Westbrook that doesn’t make everyone around him better. I know everyone thinks Curry is just a shooter, but I’d take him over Westbrook for my team every day.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-13-18, 04:23 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 4,853
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
It's definitely difficult to play with Westbrook. Oladipo looked like he was nothing but a role player last year, and now he's probably going to make 2nd team All-NBA.

I believe Russ' usage rate last year was the highest in the history of the NBA by a pretty significant margin. It's really hard to stand around on offense for 9/10 plays, and then be expected to make a play the 1/10 times you touch the ball.

Last edited by Neopolitan; 04-13-18 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-13-18, 07:19 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Not in Price Hill
Posts: 4,682
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I think if the Rockets don't make the finals because Harden comes up short in the playoffs again, you're probably looking at the last time anyone in a D'Antoni offense will win MVP.

This is by far the most talented team he's ever had and the Warriors injuries/struggles have lined up everything perfectly for them to win the title. If Harden pulls another disappearing act, you have to assume their style is just not built for the post-season, or there's some sort of mental block there.
Paul and Harden have done what exactly in the playoffs? Mental aspect plays a huge role IMO
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-14-18, 04:23 AM
Levi Levi is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-29-01
Location: Dehydrating the Blue Wave
Posts: 29,844
Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
If you go by the actual meaning of MVP it is LeBron James.

James Harden has the Rockets with the best record in the NBA so that will win it especially since some have thought he has been shorted before with this award.

Are the Cavs better with Harden than with LeBron?

Are the Rockets better with LeBron then Harden?

I expect Harden to win.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-14-18, 08:53 AM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 5,130
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Lebron.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-14-18, 11:14 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,514
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
If you go by the actual meaning of MVP it is LeBron James.

James Harden has the Rockets with the best record in the NBA so that will win it especially since some have thought he has been shorted before with this award.

Are the Cavs better with Harden than with LeBron?

Are the Rockets better with LeBron then Harden?

I expect Harden to win.
CP3 and LBJ would be ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-17-18, 07:48 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,892
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
The whole LeBron debate makes me laugh. We've watched this guy now for 15 years. People use the lack of perceived talent around him and subsequent team greatness to LeBron's value.
For awhile I bought it. But now the formula is crystal clear. LeBron runs off or annoys and really good teammates so much that they either get traded or leave when they get a chance. Of course he's going to be the most valuable when he's making it miserable for all of this teammates.
LeBron is a great individual player, but just think how great he could have been as a team player if he could just work with others? Is it odd that a 6'8" forward has never had a true point guard on his team? Because he always wants the ball in his hands!! He's run off any point guard he's ever had. LeBron should be a small forward, but he has to have the ball in his hands all the time, and any coach who've tried to coach him is canned or goes away.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-17-18, 09:59 PM
tallmadge H2 dad tallmadge H2 dad is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-22-05
Location: T-town via the Archbishop
Posts: 12,138
tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
I saw something kind of cool the other day... If LeBron and Paul George went to Houston, the lineup would look like this:

First name lineup:

Chris
Paul
LeBron
James

Last name lineup:

Paul
George
James
Harden
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-17-18, 10:00 PM
tallmadge H2 dad tallmadge H2 dad is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-22-05
Location: T-town via the Archbishop
Posts: 12,138
tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
The whole LeBron debate makes me laugh. We've watched this guy now for 15 years. People use the lack of perceived talent around him and subsequent team greatness to LeBron's value.
For awhile I bought it. But now the formula is crystal clear. LeBron runs off or annoys and really good teammates so much that they either get traded or leave when they get a chance. Of course he's going to be the most valuable when he's making it miserable for all of this teammates.
LeBron is a great individual player, but just think how great he could have been as a team player if he could just work with others? Is it odd that a 6'8" forward has never had a true point guard on his team? Because he always wants the ball in his hands!! He's run off any point guard he's ever had. LeBron should be a small forward, but he has to have the ball in his hands all the time, and any coach who've tried to coach him is canned or goes away.
Another baffling post by 14Red that could not be more wrong
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-18-18, 11:26 AM
bedevil's Avatar
bedevil bedevil is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-03-03
Location: The First Tee
Posts: 10,562
bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Harden by a landslide.
Have to agree. In fact, if it wasn't for LeBron James' incredible play in the last two months of the season, Harden might have won it in a unanimous vote.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-18-18, 12:32 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 16,584
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Anthony Davis probably deserves some consideration as well
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-18-18, 02:08 PM
Southwest Guy Southwest Guy is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-05-02
Posts: 13,590
Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Best player I rarely see play has been Drew Holiday. His defense is great and the guy is smooth in the lane.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-18-18, 06:26 PM
joesports joesports is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,790
joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
The whole LeBron debate makes me laugh. We've watched this guy now for 15 years. People use the lack of perceived talent around him and subsequent team greatness to LeBron's value.
For awhile I bought it. But now the formula is crystal clear. LeBron runs off or annoys and really good teammates so much that they either get traded or leave when they get a chance. Of course he's going to be the most valuable when he's making it miserable for all of this teammates.
LeBron is a great individual player, but just think how great he could have been as a team player if he could just work with others? Is it odd that a 6'8" forward has never had a true point guard on his team? Because he always wants the ball in his hands!! He's run off any point guard he's ever had. LeBron should be a small forward, but he has to have the ball in his hands all the time, and any coach who've tried to coach him is canned or goes away.
Damn, I wish LeBron didn’t have the ball in his hands so much!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva One Who Knows General Board 6686 10-15-18 04:07 PM
Cancelled Seasons crudog Girls Basketball 3 02-16-18 12:21 AM
Cj fredrick - larosa's mvp featured athlete of the week Irwin20 Boys Basketball 13 02-02-18 02:31 PM
Most Non-Losing Seasons in a Row? LeopardNation Football 38 10-27-17 12:42 PM
Akron East - Two winning seasons in a row? Oriental-66 Football 3 08-15-17 12:31 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz