Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-11-18, 08:39 PM
Spartan1969 Spartan1969 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-13-17
Posts: 16
Spartan1969 is on a distinguished road
110 Hurdles in 1969/ High School

Hey everyone,
Figured this would be the place to find out. My 110 hurdler just flew the other day and hit 15.22. Question is that our record board has a record from 1969. Has the hurdle height in high school always been the same for the 110 high school high hurdles, or were they lower than the height they are at now. Figured someone on here would know. Ive searched all over, just cant find any answers on this one. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-11-18, 09:33 PM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 18,310
Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan1969 View Post
Hey everyone,
Figured this would be the place to find out. My 110 hurdler just flew the other day and hit 15.22. Question is that our record board has a record from 1969. Has the hurdle height in high school always been the same for the 110 high school high hurdles, or were they lower than the height they are at now. Figured someone on here would know. Ive searched all over, just cant find any answers on this one. Thanks.
The height appears to be the same as it was back then, just 110m now instead of 120 yds. If you follow the state meet record progression from 1969 to now, there is no year in there where the "reset" button was pushed to indicate that the event changed regarding the hurdle height. Had the hurdle height changed, there would've been a year where all 3 class/division winners set state meet records like happened in 1987 when the boys 300m hurdle height changed from 30" to 36".

The girls, on the other hand, went from running the 100m low hurdles to running the 100m 33" hurdles in 1984.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 04-11-18 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-18, 09:35 PM
Altor Altor is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-29-10
Posts: 1,073
Altor is on a distinguished road
The only difference between the 110m Hurdles and the 120 yard hurdles that was run in 1969 is that your hurdler ran an extra 10.5 inches or so after the last hurdle. The height, distance to the first hurdle, and distance between the hurdles should be exactly the same.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-12-18, 06:57 AM
ENA2 ENA2 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-06-16
Posts: 90
ENA2 is on a distinguished road
The 1969 time was also most probably "hand-held" so if the old record was 15.1 or 15.0, then your guy's 15.22 is FASTER as the minimum difference is .24
and even a 14.8 or 14.9 would be suspect as in 1969 most timers were not very good/experienced and that extra 10" could be a good .05 or so. Granted the 1969 time was also probably on cinders, which, IMO is worth about .3 on the hurdles. Lots of things to consider...
What was the "old" record? Where was it set (State meet or dual)?
Was is more that .5 faster than any other time that guy ran? I spent a summer doing research like this for all of our school's old records.... I am a true geek. Good Luck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-12-18, 08:14 AM
Spartan1969 Spartan1969 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-13-17
Posts: 16
Spartan1969 is on a distinguished road
When did hand held go away and electronic timing take over...is there a specific year. I remember when the 300 hurdles changed height. Im going to go through and change our school records to automatic timing soon. The 110 hurdler ran a 14.69. Like you said, hand held back then was crazy. I never like to change records though, but I also want to make it fair for the kids who now run under automatic timing.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-12-18, 08:37 AM
ENA2 ENA2 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-06-16
Posts: 90
ENA2 is on a distinguished road
The first time they used FAT (Accutrak) timing at the OHSAA State Meet was 1980. and since then, only FAT records were recognized at Meet records.
That is probably when Ohio State University got their first system to use. It must have not worked very well as many times are still listed as "hand times". In 1981 and since, almost all times are FAT. With very few exceptions, most meet times prior to the mid 80's were timed by hand and if they are listed to the hundreth of a second, they all should be rounded up.
Your old guy's time of 14.69 should be listed as 14.7h and with perfect hand-time would be adjusted to 14.94 ... For 1969, on cinders, I think that is pretty good and probably better than a current 15.22.... but a 15.22 in early April, in the cold, should improve a lot as the weather and his technique get better.
Good Luck to you both.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-13-18, 08:16 AM
Altor Altor is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-29-10
Posts: 1,073
Altor is on a distinguished road
I agree with ENA2. If it were my record sheet, I'm listing both as record holders. The 1969 mark is 14.7h and the 2018 mark as 15.22.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-13-18, 09:57 PM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,830
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
This discussion has shown me I am lacking in my city record keeping. I maintain the city records for Cincinnati area teams who compete in our district meets. My city records file is incomplete. I need to show all the yard records in addition to the metric records. Shame on me.

http://www.swotccca.com/Documents/Ci...s%20Boys28.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-15-18, 11:52 AM
Altor Altor is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-29-10
Posts: 1,073
Altor is on a distinguished road
Not sure that's necessary in most cases. The 120yd/110m hurdles is a little odd because it is only about 10.5 inches difference, and when you factor in manual vs FAT, things really start to get muddy.

I worked with a conference who kept the 4x220 yd boys relay on the record sheet long after the boys stopped running the event and it was a girls only event. When the boys started running the 4x200 meter relay, they didn't establish a record for that race until it beat the 4x220 mark from 30-40 years earlier. The thought process was that if the other boys ran further in less time, then the mark for the new race wasn't worthy of the record sheet yet.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-19-18, 03:41 PM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,345
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
This discussion has shown me I am lacking in my city record keeping. I maintain the city records for Cincinnati area teams who compete in our district meets. My city records file is incomplete. I need to show all the yard records in addition to the metric records. Shame on me.

http://www.swotccca.com/Documents/Ci...s%20Boys28.pdf
Don't beat yourself up. You've done an OUTSTANDING JOB!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-19-18, 03:42 PM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,345
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
The height appears to be the same as it was back then, just 110m now instead of 120 yds. If you follow the state meet record progression from 1969 to now, there is no year in there where the "reset" button was pushed to indicate that the event changed regarding the hurdle height. Had the hurdle height changed, there would've been a year where all 3 class/division winners set state meet records like happened in 1987 when the boys 300m hurdle height changed from 30" to 36".

The girls, on the other hand, went from running the 100m low hurdles to running the 100m 33" hurdles in 1984.
1987 is the correct year for the change, not 1984.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-19-18, 03:44 PM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,345
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
FYI - The boy's hurdles were 42" in the OHSAA system from its inception through the 1935 season. In 1936, the hurdle height was reduced to its current 39" height.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-20-18, 12:18 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,830
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
Don't beat yourself up. You've done an OUTSTANDING JOB!
I could have never done this job without your vital assistance. Remember that you are one of the founding fathers for this monstrous undertaking. I believe Seek Up was also one who completed the holy trinity with us.

Last edited by Lancermania; 04-20-18 at 12:31 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-20-18, 07:34 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,345
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
I could have never done this job without your vital assistance. Remember that you are one of the founding fathers for this monstrous undertaking. I believe Seek Up was also one who completed the holy trinity with us.
Yes, Seek Up was of invaluable assistance. No one person can do it all, but the "collective", to steal a phrase from Star Trek vernacular, can accomplish such a monumental task.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post schedules Fizz Softball 5 03-24-18 12:03 PM
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 16 06-18-17 07:07 PM
2017 Massillon Tiger Baseball DB135 Massillon Tigers 14 05-19-17 05:12 AM
2017 Massillon Tiger Softball DB135 Massillon Tigers 15 05-11-17 01:16 AM
2017 Softball Schedule Airborne88 Tallmadge Blue Devils 0 04-04-17 09:32 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz