Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-07-18, 04:48 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
5 hour meets.....OHSAA and officials need a new point of emphasis

Come on. Track and field is a decade behind technology. 4 and 5 hour meets are ridiculous. Officials and starters are too slow. The people need to speed up heats.

Kids taking too long screwing with blocks and getting on the track for races.

Speed up this sport before it dies.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-18, 05:00 PM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
I would say much of this should be addressed by the coach, instruct your athletes as to geting your blocks ready before, sweats off, batons at hand, etc. Much is left to the official for things that we coaches should have taken time for in advance while working with conditioning and technique.
Old 04-07-18, 05:36 PM
All World

But if You are the only coach doing this then the meet still takes 5 hours
Old 04-07-18, 07:42 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Technology comes with a new set of problems and doesn't always speed things up.

I agree that coaches can mitigate many of the problems that create unnecessary delays, but you might be surprised how many are actually doing a great job and that the majority of issues that could be solved but aren't have understaffed/inexperienced programs at the core.

Furthermore, I believe that the nature of track and field mean meets would take a long time even if executed to near perfection.

I would even suggest that the greatest source of frustration is the Mcdonaldization of our culture, where we expect to have everything we want done with excellence at a moment's notice, combined with the expectation that everything should be entertaining.

While I think we need to make the sport more accessible and interesting to fans, I don't think we need to change the nature of the sport. For instance, I thought the "posing" of relay teams as they entered the track at the Olympics/World Championships was ridiciulous and certainly not something I would want to see as a part of scholastic sports.

Scholastic track and field is in an extremely healthy state as measured by participation rates. Professional boxing/MMA is a spectator sport - two people being watched by many. Track and Field is participation sport.

We need to make sure that those who attend the meets can follow and understand what is happening, but we don't need to change the nature of the sport. We don't need to restrict entries in dual meets. We don't need to eliminate longer events. We don't need to eliminate pre-lims and just compete on time. Etc.

We should have clocks that allow everyone at the meet to know running times and results. We should have displays at every field event that allow everyone to know the height/Distance/attempt #. The nature of the cloud and handheld devices mean that we should be able to display results nearly instantly. Using things like google sheets means this could be done for next to nothing cost-wise.

We should document procedures, provide adequate training to volunteers, teach our athletes necessary procedures/rules, etc to minimize unnecessary delays.

I don't think we need to worry about meets that last 5-6 hours if spectators are kept informed and the meet is run efficiently.
Old 04-07-18, 08:12 PM
All World

I agree with all of that except the initial premise of the thread. Technology does allow for meets to run really fast. I sit in the finishtiming trailer and they are ready for another heat in a race within 30 seconds. In the meantime starters and officials are not keeping up. Heats of the 200 shouldnt take 3 or 4 minutes between heats. Coaches and athletes will adjust to expedience. Who wants to warm up and then stand there for 10 minutes waiting while literally no racing is going on.
Old 04-07-18, 09:49 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Next thing you know '609 is going to blame the OHSAA and the officials for the weather.
Old 04-08-18, 06:03 AM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Come on. Track and field is a decade behind technology. 4 and 5 hour meets are ridiculous. Officials and starters are too slow. The people need to speed up heats.

Speed up this sport before it dies.
Gee, I've never heard this complaint before.
Old 04-08-18, 12:31 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
ccrunner609, can you provide some context for that 5 hour meet? Was it only a few teams or a big invitational? If only a few teams, then for sure no way should that take 5 hours. A bigger meet would be difficult to complete in that time frame no matter how fast the officials are working and kids not messing excessively with the blocks. Multiple heats of the 800, 1600, and god forbid, the 3200, take up time.
Old 04-08-18, 03:37 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Next thing you know '609 is going to blame the OHSAA and the officials for the weather.
Thanks Obama.
Old 04-08-18, 07:01 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Do not care what you do to speed up a meet if you have girls and boys Pole Vault with only one pit, it's the last event done anyway. I enjoy kids doubling or even tripling in the distance events and running a meet too fast has resulted in distance kids running one event. I go to meets where not all shot and disc throws are measured and ties can't be broken accurately as a result. Was just at a meet where the lines were not accurate and if you hit the line on the left side, it was 3 feet different than the right and they were only measuring the longest throw of two throws per turn at the whim of the person marking. Max of two marks out of 4 without finals. Joke...Some things need to be done correctly and not fast. If it's a good meet, who cares if it's 5 hours.
Are you proposing doing away with prelims? Just run timed heats as finals. No seeding? First thing I would do is eliminate the 4 x 200 relay. Worst event ever. There is where you can save some time.
Old 04-08-18, 07:27 PM
All Yappi

Easy to blame the officials for everything. I've seen some college meets that take a long time, too. Bad weather is the more common thread than the OHSAA and its officials. Kids move more slowly when the weather is cold. There are more clothes to discard right before it's time to run. Having the officials speed things up will not solve that problem.
Old 04-09-18, 08:25 PM
All World

How fast should a meet be? 16 teams on an 8 lane track? 8 teams on an 8 lane track? 9 teams on a 6 lane track?

One of the best meets we go to every year is a 9th and 10th grade only meet. I could care less how slow it goes. It's about getting kids involved. I like seeing other teams kids perform too, so length of meet never enters my mind if it's a good meet and weather is ok.

Our sport is growing while others at our school are not. I'll take that.
Old 04-09-18, 09:34 PM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
What are thoughts concerning using meets for senior recognitions? I was at an invitational last year that took an hour break to honor seniors. It was great for the home team and senior team members but forced the meet to conclude close to midnight. I wonder if teams do not return due to this. As a fan it caught me off guard adding an hour onto the evening.
Old 04-10-18, 09:46 AM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
Senior athletes for every sport have a senior day. There is no better time for doing this than during the time between semis and finals in a home invitational.

A few years ago we held a quad meet and had the coaches email me the senior names, honors and college selection if already decided and had all the seniors meet in front of the stands and recognize them during the meet (we chose after the 1600 for ours). It took about 12 minutes for this to take place. We had more than 40 athletes recognized.

Parents seemed to like the attention and didn't recieve any complaints from our officials.

P.S. I always liked Mike Fernandez senior recogintion at the Wayne Inv.
Old 04-10-18, 11:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton's Third View Post
What are thoughts concerning using meets for senior recognitions? I was at an invitational last year that took an hour break to honor seniors. It was great for the home team and senior team members but forced the meet to conclude close to midnight. I wonder if teams do not return due to this. As a fan it caught me off guard adding an hour onto the evening.
Other sports honor their seniors at their final home contest, so it's nice if you can do the same for your athletes. It's up to the host school to find the most effective way to do this.

I was at a meet once where the host school did it before the meet. That was just fine with us. We stayed out of their way and gave ourselves more time to warm up.

For us, we end the regular season with a home relay meet. All seniors will compete in at least 1 event. We just announce them while they're doing their field event or when they're on their last race/lap - usually just a quick mention of their name and their post-HS plans. It's nothing fancy and adds no time to the meet. We also try to give them their senior portrait banner after their final event is completed.
Old 04-10-18, 11:55 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
For us, we end the regular season with a home relay meet. All seniors will compete in at least 1 event. We just announce them while they're doing their field event or when they're on their last race/lap - usually just a quick mention of their name and their post-HS plans. It's nothing fancy and adds no time to the meet. We also try to give them their senior portrait banner after their final event is completed.
This is a nice touch.

It seems I end up at 3-4 meets at the end of the year where they honor seniors. I prefer when they do it before the meet (they don't stop a basketball or football game in the last minute to recognize the seniors). One does it between prelims and finals of their home invitational. This isn't terrible, but it did shut down the pole vault for several minutes last year while we waited to raise the bar. The one I don't like is the one that does it before the 4x400 relays. UGH.
Old 04-10-18, 12:13 PM
Varsity

ENA2 is on a distinguished road
We will try it this year at our late-season Relay meet. We will just annouce the names of all seniors from every school who attends. will base this off of the baumspage entries. The first event is the 4 x 1600 relays and the meet is held on a time schedule - will have about 10 minutes before the next event. All seniors from every teams will line-up across the infield facing the home stands, during the 4 x 16 and afterward and will step forward as their names are announced. If the annoncer can read all the names in 10 minutes or so, there will not be any time added to the meet. Will see how it works. The meet starts at 10 and ends at 1:30 if all goes well.
Old 04-10-18, 10:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
This is a nice touch.

It seems I end up at 3-4 meets at the end of the year where they honor seniors. I prefer when they do it before the meet (they don't stop a basketball or football game in the last minute to recognize the seniors). One does it between prelims and finals of their home invitational. This isn't terrible, but it did shut down the pole vault for several minutes last year while we waited to raise the bar. The one I don't like is the one that does it before the 4x400 relays. UGH.
Truth be told, we got the idea from Woodridge regarding recognizing the kids while they're competing in their final event. Coach Howard usually does this for his seniors at their end of the season invitational. It seemed the least we could do for our kids, or else they would get no recognition at all. It would be nice to do something more, but it's not always practical.
Old 04-11-18, 08:01 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
So on the flip side of the "meets are too long" coin, I went to my son's first meet of the year (and first ever HS meet) last night. Their first scheduled meet got canceled, and they were out on spring break last week. A quad meet with four not very large teams. He was supposed to long jump and run the 300 hurdles. They canceled the long jump because they felt that there were not enough people to run it. Then they decided that since only two kids were signed up for the 300 hurdles they were not going to run it because it would take too long. My son and his coach found out was while he was over at the 300 hurdle start finishing his warm up and they called for all 800 runners to check in. His coach was upset, but there was nothing she could do but try to get him in the 800. I am grateful to her for that, because he would have likely come away from the meet angry otherwise. Seriously, I get that there was not much support, but the only events with more than one heat were the boys 100 and boys 200. I am completely in agreement with not wasting time at meets and making them needlessly long, but don't do that at the expense of athletes having a chance to compete.
Old 04-11-18, 11:23 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
Then they decided that since only two kids were signed up for the 300 hurdles they were not going to run it because it would take too long.
Setting up 16 hurdles takes too long?

And did they split the points between the visiting schools for the events that were not contested? I'd argue that they should have since it wasn't canceled for "act of God" reasons.
Old 04-11-18, 12:09 PM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
There are many officials that

(1) are too slow
(2) keep the kids in the block too long.

I understand come tournament time. But for a weekday JV meet. Get the kids in the blocks and shoot the gun. Who cares what else happens. Talk to them after the event if they were scratching their leg or dipping their head in the blocks.

We had our girls 4x400 DQ'd last year at Regional Finals because the girl moved her pony tail after the SET call. Total BS in my book, because you wouldn't see that at the college or Olympic level.
Old 04-11-18, 12:16 PM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
So on the flip side of the "meets are too long" coin, I went to my son's first meet of the year (and first ever HS meet) last night. Their first scheduled meet got canceled, and they were out on spring break last week. A quad meet with four not very large teams. He was supposed to long jump and run the 300 hurdles. They canceled the long jump because they felt that there were not enough people to run it. Then they decided that since only two kids were signed up for the 300 hurdles they were not going to run it because it would take too long. My son and his coach found out was while he was over at the 300 hurdle start finishing his warm up and they called for all 800 runners to check in. His coach was upset, but there was nothing she could do but try to get him in the 800. I am grateful to her for that, because he would have likely come away from the meet angry otherwise. Seriously, I get that there was not much support, but the only events with more than one heat were the boys 100 and boys 200. I am completely in agreement with not wasting time at meets and making them needlessly long, but don't do that at the expense of athletes having a chance to compete.
That is pathetic effort by the host school. I hope they are not scheduled to host any more meets the rest of the year and your son's school will not schedule a return trip any time soon.
Old 04-11-18, 12:52 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
In fairness to the host school, I believe the decisions were made by the officials and not the host school. They had the long jump pit dug out, with a tape measure taped down next to the runway. And after the 100 hurdles they had moved a bunch of hurdles to the back stretch.
Old 04-12-18, 06:25 PM
All District

Purple66 is on a distinguished road
I have been to meets where they will last 5 hours and there were no delays between events. Now I'm talking 20 or more schools at these meets. Boys and girls will make 40 plus teams.

Last edited by Purple66; 04-12-18 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-15-18, 05:07 PM
All World

Ran a 16 team JH meet in the rain Saturday. This meet featured 7th and 8th grade relays in all of them ( 7 or 8 heats of every relay) plus 4x8 for JH. Done in 4 hours.
Old 04-16-18, 06:58 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Ran a 16 team JH meet in the rain Saturday. This meet featured 7th and 8th grade relays in all of them ( 7 or 8 heats of every relay) plus 4x8 for JH. Done in 4 hours.
"Come on. Track and field is a decade behind technology. 4 and 5 hour meets are ridiculous. Officials and starters are too slow. The people need to speed up heats.

Speed up this sport before it dies. "

4 hours is too slow. Add finals and 2 sections of the 3200 and it's a 5 hour meet. How is it any different than your initial complaint? Just substitute your extra heats of the 7th grade relays for the finals and then 2 sections of the 3200 and you are at the unacceptable 4 hours and 30 minute mark. And that's with some kids getting NT which is not acceptable no matter how long a meet takes.
Old 04-16-18, 08:11 AM
All World

^^^^^Wishful thinking. You dont realize how much goes into running these relays. Takes way longer than a few heats of the 3200. Also technology allows for "no finals"

My guess is that this meet runs in 3 hours or less if not having all the extra relays. All that was done was that the officials were prompted to speed up the urgency of heats.

ran 31 heats of sprints in 40 minutes at the beginning of meet.
Old 04-17-18, 09:53 AM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
I can remember when the Troy Relays ran the prelims from about 10 to 2 and then took a 5 hour break before the finals started at 7:00 PM.
Old 04-17-18, 11:39 AM
All American

ccrunner609,
I think psycho_dad's point was that you opened the thread by complaining about 4 and 5 hour meets. But then entered your team in a meet that, by design, can't be done in less than 4 hours.
Old 04-18-18, 10:12 AM
All World

But in fairness, people know that going in. When you go to a regular meet and it takes that long it becomes a head scratcher. It has extra events. It was also ran efficiently in a complete down poor for a lot of it.

Psycho is just doing his thing. When you post on here, you have to expect that.