Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-10-18, 08:47 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
In the current political climate concerning publically funded stadiums, a team moving within just a few years of having a new stadium built and paid for would be a disaster. The owners will not want that black eye.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-18, 11:22 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I still have yet to find any evidence of the Marlins actually trying to move. You keep mentioning it without posting any links or any other type of evidence showing they're even considering the possibility. There's a couple hit pieces mentioning that what the Marlins are doing with their roster is what others have done before moving. I don't think that happens to be the case here. Even in their worst years the Marlins operated at anywhere between $20-35M in profit. Cutting payroll will only raise that amount for this season because their attendance is comparable to other years. Heck there's more outrage from people outside the Miami market about what they've done with their roster in comparison to those within their actual footprint.

And even if they did want to move, how much of a fight would they get from the community? Especially if they agreed to take over a portion of the stadium deal. By all accounts, this was one of the worst deals in stadium history and I have absolutely no clue how it passed. But now you can't hold that deal against new ownership.
Old 05-10-18, 11:30 PM
All Yappi

Read back.
Old 05-11-18, 01:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Read back.
So someone posting the Marlins attendance caused your brain to believe it meant they were moving? Or at least looking to move?
Old 05-11-18, 01:40 PM
All Yappi

Comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?
Old 05-11-18, 09:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?
Got it, you've shown no evidence that there's the slightest discussion of this. Though I do believe the Marlins would be the first/most logical choice if MLB ever becomes serious about a South America team.
Old 05-11-18, 10:13 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
I wasn't suggesting the Marlins would move, they are just a dumpster fire. The low attendance and Marlins Man vs Jeets feud is a great example If that. Jeter also fired all the tv announcers shortly after buying the team which pissed off the fans. The whole thing is really entertaining.

If either of the Florida teams move it will be the Rays. Evan Longoria was just talking about that today actually

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-18, 10:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
I wasn't suggesting the Marlins would move, they are just a dumpster fire. The low attendance and Marlins Man vs Jeets feud is a great example If that. Jeter also fired all the tv announcers shortly after buying the team which pissed off the fans. The whole thing is really entertaining.

If either of the Florida teams move it will be the Rays. Evan Longoria was just talking about that today actually

Let's not forget he fired the mascot too. And Marlins Man vs Jeets has been one of the funniest feuds we seen in baseball in a long time. Though it's died off as of late.
Old 05-11-18, 10:23 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Let's not forget he fired the mascot too. And Marlins Man vs Jeets has been one of the funniest feuds we seen in baseball in a long time. Though it's died off as of late.
The Marlins announced they are not wearing the orange jerseys at all this season. I wonder if that's because Jeter is pissed at Marlins Man. He is the best

Old 05-12-18, 03:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Got it, you've shown no evidence that there's the slightest discussion of this. Though I do believe the Marlins would be the first/most logical choice if MLB ever becomes serious about a South America team.
It was certainly a reasonable impression to be had from the post.

Tampa and Oakland are far more likely. MLB is pressing hard for new stadiums in those cities but I would be surprised if they both come through. Monterrey, Mexico would probably be the best choice south of the border. I think they could move Oakland there, and then Seattle to the NL West in a swap with the Diamondbacks. And if Tampa falls through, move them to Montreal.
Old 05-12-18, 10:00 PM
All American

Quote:
It was certainly a reasonable impression to be had from the post.
Umm...No it wasn't. Maybe allowable by a one reaction post. You continued to argue your side without a single for of evidence. Even went as far as questioning my intelligence. Turns out you're the one who has trouble comprehending things.
Old 05-12-18, 11:46 PM
All Yappi

What are you even talking about. There's a reason I question your intelligence.
Old 05-18-18, 07:20 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Interesting that Robinson Cano got caught using furosemide, commonly referred to as Lasix or Salix. This is the only medication allowed to be given to horses on race day. For horses it combats EIPH and will at some point be banned in the future.

Most likely he was using it to mask something else he was taking.
Old 05-18-18, 08:36 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Regarding the Marlins, it appears at this time that major league baseball's 30 teams is just about right. There are just enough struggling small market teams out there that if there was a real push for some of these cities to acquire baseball (Charlotte, Nashville, New Orleans) they would have long ago. There IS and economic impact of having a pro sports team in your town, but today, owners or potential owners know this and try to hold cities hostage in leveraging new stadiums. The Marlins and Rays simply can't make it in Florida. Florida has too many people who move there from other areas and will never be fans of the home teams. It's too nice most of the summer so going to baseball games just isn't high on the list for alot of people.
Could you see a day when MLB retracts a few teams?? Absolutely. The union would fight like heck against it because of losing jobs. But it may actually improve the product some.
Old 05-18-18, 08:40 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Interesting that Robinson Cano got caught using furosemide, commonly referred to as Lasix or Salix. This is the only medication allowed to be given to horses on race day. For horses it combats EIPH and will at some point be banned in the future.

Most likely he was using it to mask something else he was taking.
I actually like major league baseball's policy regarding PED's and drug testing. 80 games is a big penalty, but it's a big offense.

If you are a major league baseball player, and you put anything into your body without checking it out...then you're just not very bright.

One side conversation on this is Cano, up to this point, is a dead-lock hall of famer, especially the numbers he's put up as a 2nd baseman. Has that now changed in your mind?
Old 05-18-18, 09:13 AM
All World

I dont care if humans want to use PEDs. I figure a lot of them are cheating in general. The lasix was certainly used to mask something else.

Personally i think most millennials dont care about drugs in sports. I could be wrong but we grew up in the steroid era with Sosa Bonds McGwire etc
Old 05-18-18, 09:18 AM
All Yappi

Always seemed kind of stupid to take a decade or more off your life to hit a few more home runs, but if someone wants to do it, let them.
Old 05-18-18, 12:24 PM
All World

Quote:
I dont care if humans want to use PEDs. I figure a lot of them are cheating in general. The lasix was certainly used to mask something else.

Personally i think most millennials dont care about drugs in sports. I could be wrong but we grew up in the steroid era with Sosa Bonds McGwire etc
I'm curious as to why you feel the age or era that people grew up in have anything to do with taking something illegal to gain an advantage?

Most young people (classified as mellennials today) don't care much about anything at their ages except themselves. As we age, get jobs, pay taxes, have families, our understandings of things change.
Old 05-18-18, 12:33 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I'm curious as to why you feel the age or era that people grew up in have anything to do with taking something illegal to gain an advantage?

Most young people (classified as mellennials today) don't care much about anything at their ages except themselves. As we age, get jobs, pay taxes, have families, our understandings of things change.
Different generations have different world views.

We grew up in the steroid era of baseball and are more likely to be open to peds being in the sport. We as a whole are also more accepting of different races, sexualities, genders etc than our parents generation. That is why I am interested in the age of people and their opinions. I think there is a big difference in opinions on the subject of PEDs in sports from generation to generation. I could be wrong but that is why I am interested in the age demographic

Also we are self centered. We dont care about the health risks players take when using steroids. We just care about us and our entertainment. Player safety be damn3d, integrity of the game be damn3d, just entertain us.

Your second point literally answers your first point. We have a different world view than other generations, for better or for worse.
Old 05-18-18, 01:00 PM
All World

Quote:
Different generations have different world views.

Also we are self centered. We dont care about the health risks players take when using steroids. We just care about us and our entertainment. Player safety be damn3d, integrity of the game be damn3d, just entertain us.
I disagree with this point. The poster child for detriment of steroids for me was Lyle Alzado. We watched this muscular, vibrant man wither away to nothing, and it really started the conversation of banned substances.

But I do understand where you are going. There are many who want to see 60-70 home run seasons by players etc. I just as much enjoy a player hitting a double in the opposite field gap using the skill of hitting the ball where it's pitched.
Old 05-18-18, 02:21 PM
All World

Quote:
I disagree with this point. The poster child for detriment of steroids for me was Lyle Alzado. We watched this muscular, vibrant man wither away to nothing, and it really started the conversation of banned substances.

But I do understand where you are going. There are many who want to see 60-70 home run seasons by players etc. I just as much enjoy a player hitting a double in the opposite field gap using the skill of hitting the ball where it's pitched.
Yeah i dont know who that is.

I think you may have confused my 2nd paragraph. It was referencing millennials and how self centered we are., not your generation.
Old 05-24-18, 08:47 AM
All World

Lenny Dykstra arrested, who would have ever thought of that?
Old 06-05-18, 08:17 AM
All World

Aaron Judge had 8 strikeouts in a double header
Old 06-11-18, 10:58 AM
All World

Pedro Gomez reports Ohtani is going to need Tommy John surgery. Out for this season and next
Old 06-11-18, 04:07 PM
All World

Quote:
Pedro Gomez reports Ohtani is going to need Tommy John surgery. Out for this season and next
Ouch...You really have to wonder when clubs are going to start really being reluctant signing these Japanese phenoms. Has there been a Japanese pitcher who's been able to stay healthy for any lenth of time. BTW, Yu Darvish is also on the DL with the Cubs after signing for a pile of money.
Old 06-11-18, 04:45 PM
All Yappi

That sucks. He's a great player
Old 06-12-18, 04:57 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Ks, walks, and HBP now accounting for slightly >33% of MLB plate appearances. Boring baseball. This is far worse than any pace-of-play concerns in my mind.

Is the shift ruining baseball ? Do we need to keep 2 infielders on each side of second, at least ?

Old 06-12-18, 04:59 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Aaron Judge had 8 strikeouts in a double header
From the 2 hole
Old 06-12-18, 06:15 AM
All American

Quote:
Ouch...You really have to wonder when clubs are going to start really being reluctant signing these Japanese phenoms. Has there been a Japanese pitcher who's been able to stay healthy for any lenth of time. BTW, Yu Darvish is also on the DL with the Cubs after signing for a pile of money.
Ha, another extremely dumb comment by 14Reds. Outside of what the Angels had to pay his Japan team for his rights he's making next to nothing. The revenue they've already brought in from the Japanese fanbase has more than covered his salary for the length of his contract. And due to him being in the AL he has the chance to simply DH as he heals. Nearly every MLB club wishes they were dealing with the problem the Angels are having right now while also knowing they own him for 5 more years and isn't eligible for arbitration until 2021.

Using Yu Darvish to add value to your comment has to be a joke right? Been in the league 6 years. Isn't uncommon for pitchers to have trips to the DL over that time period whether they're of Asian descent or not.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: